Let's Play Together: GM'd Battletech via MegaMek XII

This is the place for self-contained forum games

Moderator: Zaxxon

TheMix

Re: Let's Play Together: GM'd Battletech via MegaMek XII

Post by TheMix »

That was confusing.

The Thor gets to do full movements twice? That will certainly make it hard to pin down.

I have no idea what actually attacked me.

I also have no idea what I'm supposed to do now. I have to roll to stand up? Does that mean that's all I can do? I can't flee? Regardless, it seems like I'm out of this fight. Or am I supposed to keep fighting with a torso breach?

Edit: I suppose I should be grateful. I got one more turn than I expected.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:51 pm Detonate my decoy

It's almost as if people are the problem.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:57 pm That was confusing.

The Thor gets to do full movements twice? That will certainly make it hard to pin down.

I have no idea what actually attacked me.

I also have no idea what I'm supposed to do now. I have to roll to stand up? Does that mean that's all I can do? I can't flee? Regardless, it seems like I'm out of this fight. Or am I supposed to keep fighting with a torso breach?
Last round, the Thor got to move after you guys. This round, it moved in its normal turn, so it won't get to move again until after you move.

You got hit by a Vulture camping on top of a hill to the northwest.

Getting up only costs 2 MP per attempt (out of your 6) and is a straight PSR (so roll 2d6, beat or match your piloting skill). Also, you can't jump on the same round as you get up, but other than that you can move as normal. You're also generating an extra 5 heat/turn due to engine shielding damage. You're still in pretty good shape actually as long as you keep your back facing away from the enemy (easier said than done). Other than that, your main risk is taking another stray head shot, which will take you out entirely as I'm pretty sure you have 2 structure and no armor left there.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:58 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:51 pm Detonate my decoy
LoaderMech LRM5-FLU ID:194 (1st Octopus Overlords) Checking for self destruct on 5, roll is 3: fails to explode.

Think that one was yours. It'll try again next turn.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jump to 2524, face South
It's almost as if people are the problem.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I guess I should give up trying to understand. It looks to me like there are two woods between me and that vulture, a light and a heavy.

I thought that meant it couldn't see me.
3 or more points of woods/smoke *between* you and your target obstructs LOS.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:08 pm I guess I should give up trying to understand. It looks to me like there are two woods between me and that vulture, a light and a heavy.

The Vulture is also on a higher elevation than you, so it ignores any woods on the ground.
Black Lives Matter
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I yield my turn to the GameMaster. I don't have the experience here to have any idea what I should do. I may not have enough movement to get into cover and I can't get out of range. And I assume the Huntsman will target me if I turn to face the Vulture/Phoenix Hawk. Assuming I have enough movement to turn.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:11 pm
TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:08 pm I guess I should give up trying to understand. It looks to me like there are two woods between me and that vulture, a light and a heavy.

The Vulture is also on a higher elevation than you, so it ignores any woods on the ground.
Didn't know that. Didn't realize these trees were all shrubs. That would have been a good thing for someone with experience to point out before I made the move.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Kurita Crusader >> move to 2802; attack Stormcrow 2702

Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:13 pm I yield my turn to the GameMaster. I don't have the experience here to have any idea what I should do. I may not have enough movement to get into cover and I can't get out of range. And I assume the Huntsman will target me if I turn to face the Vulture/Phoenix Hawk. Assuming I have enough movement to turn.
TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:16 pm Didn't know that. Didn't realize these trees were all shrubs. That would have been a good thing for someone with experience to point out before I made the move.
You're in the Huntsman's rear arc and it can only bring one gun to bear at you. It's also on the ground level same as you, so it's got 2 light woods hexes between it and you, and it jumped. That's a +5 to the target number, and probably another +1 or +2 if you move into the woods to the north (and that doesn't count range penalties). If you point northwest, your rear arc is safe from any attack. A +6 or +7 modifier is pretty tough to hit even for the best gunners.

One other thing to note is that, when you get up, you get to pick your new facing "for free", so you could theoretically move into the woods to the northwest (2 to get up and face northwest, 1 for empty hex, 1+2=3 for moving into heavy woods for a total of 6).

It's a bit of a rough scenario for a newbie unfortunately, since there's a lot of mechs to pay attention to, so don't worry about it. You're inflicting damage and haven't gotten blown up yet, so you're doing ok. Plus there's plenty of spare Kurita guys for you to control (for now) if you do lose your mech. :)
Black Lives Matter
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

Our Kurita Awesome could annihliate that Man-o-War with triple PPCs to the back, couldn't it?

That fucking Thor is damn unhitable.

Nick, I could jump to 3724 and be within medium range of all my guns for the Loki while ignoring its cover, aye? It'd just be Gunnery + Jump + Mid Range + Target Move, or 2 + 2 + 2 + 1, for a to-hit of 7+?

Fun fact: my current 2d6 average is 5 over ten rolls. Did some astech die during the refits and curse my Griffin?
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:27 pm Our Kurita Awesome could annihliate that Man-o-War with triple PPCs to the back, couldn't it?

Nick, I could jump to 3724 and be within medium range of all my guns for the Loki while ignoring its cover, aye? It'd just be Gunnery + Jump + Mid Range + Target Move, or 2 + 2 + 2 + 1, for a to-hit of 7+?

Fun fact: my current 2d6 average is 5 over ten rolls. Did some astech die during the refits and curse my Griffin?
Yep, almost (the target modifier includes woods in the target's hex, which you don't ignore, and jump is +3 meaning: 2 (gunnery) + 3 (jumping) + 2 (mid range) + 1 (target woods) = 8+) and no comment. :D
Black Lives Matter
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

That 2929 Loki at a mere +1 is looking mighty tasty right now. I'm thinking of jump-alpha-ing it with the Griffing, and tossing a single LRM-20 at the 1806 Loki, as our Kurita Awesome as well as Guapo and Leraje as perfectly positioned to delete the Man-o-War.

Whoever has the Orion and Crusader up top, careful with the toads, but maybe try and shoot at the 1806 Loki? Maybe the Marauder too, could get up to 2405 to snipe the Loki.

The P. Hawk is well positioned in helping finishing off the Man-o-War, too. That, or keep trying to kick down the Thor.

Leraje, WestOfEast, wanna try and focus the Loki down this turn? The lot of us are well positioned to ignore most woods in the way.

Siljanus, careful of the ACE Black Hawk. Maybe reverse a bit so it can't get into your rear arc.
NickAragua wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:37 pm
TotallyNotEvil wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:27 pm Our Kurita Awesome could annihliate that Man-o-War with triple PPCs to the back, couldn't it?

Yep, almost (the target modifier includes woods in the target's hex, which you don't ignore, and jump is +3 meaning: 2 (gunnery) + 3 (jumping) + 2 (mid range) + 1 (target woods) = 8+) and no comment. :D
Don't I have a trait that dings 1 from the jumping penalty, tho?

Hey, it seems my decoy took out 5 elementals? Not bad.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

NickAragua wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:26 pm
TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:13 pm I yield my turn to the GameMaster. I don't have the experience here to have any idea what I should do. I may not have enough movement to get into cover and I can't get out of range. And I assume the Huntsman will target me if I turn to face the Vulture/Phoenix Hawk. Assuming I have enough movement to turn.
TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:16 pm Didn't know that. Didn't realize these trees were all shrubs. That would have been a good thing for someone with experience to point out before I made the move.
You're in the Huntsman's rear arc and it can only bring one gun to bear at you. It's also on the ground level same as you, so it's got 2 light woods hexes between it and you, and it jumped. That's a +5 to the target number, and probably another +1 or +2 if you move into the woods to the north (and that doesn't count range penalties). If you point northwest, your rear arc is safe from any attack. A +6 or +7 modifier is pretty tough to hit even for the best gunners.

One other thing to note is that, when you get up, you get to pick your new facing "for free", so you could theoretically move into the woods to the northwest (2 to get up and face northwest, 1 for empty hex, 1+2=3 for moving into heavy woods for a total of 6).

It's a bit of a rough scenario for a newbie unfortunately, since there's a lot of mechs to pay attention to, so don't worry about it. You're inflicting damage and haven't gotten blown up yet, so you're doing ok. Plus there's plenty of spare Kurita guys for you to control (for now) if you do lose your mech. :)
I really do appreciate you trying to explain things. Though I'm still pretty lost. I think I need a trainer. I thought the movement penalties were the round you move in? But you are saying that since it jumped last turn, it'll have a penalty to attack this turn? Does that mean it has to attack before moving? It looks like it could just move one hex to higher ground and negate the woods penalties. Honestly, I don't know how you keep all this straight. All I can sort out (maybe) is what my move will do to my attack chances. Everything else is just a giant black box of unknown.

It sounds like you are suggesting (possibly too subtly for my somewhat overwhelmed brain), that I should "Get up, Trinity. GET UP!" and move into the woods to the north. And then... I assume attack Phoenix Hawk. Not like he's going to let me be.

I also think I was trying to hard. I was trying to be precise. I notice others went much more for general instructions. So I think maybe I should try to be more vague to allow you to actually execute despite potential stupidity.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:57 pm That 2929 Loki at a mere +1 is looking mighty tasty right now.
I think you are referring to:
Target modifiers:
Daishi: +1
Ryoken 1410: +3
Vulture 1213: 0
Vulture 1209: +1
Loki 1806: +2
Mad Cat 2003: +4
Ryoken 2702: +3
Thor: +5
Man O' War: +2
Nobori-Nin: +4
Mad Cat 2532: +2
Ryoken 2231: +3
Loki 2929: +1
To be honest, I've been glossing over that because I don't know what it means. Not in a practical, actionable, sense. And I felt like I was the only one asking LOTS of basic questions. So :oops:

How should I be using that information in my decision making? Or is it moot since I'm more of a short/medium and my options are usually much more limited? Are these numbers that we will have to add to our to hit chance for those targets based on their movement/cover from the prior round? (Which makes the comment about the Thor being unhittable make more sense.)

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:57 pm Whoever has the Orion and Crusader up top, careful with the toads, but maybe try and shoot at the 1806 Loki? Maybe the Marauder too, could get up to 2405 to snipe the Loki.
Me. On the Crusader. Toads = elementals? I think I'm okay there based on my projected movement (unless they jump). The Loki is mostly out of range. Though I could sent the LRMs that way, possibly (if Nick crunches the numbers and thinks it's worth it).

I'm worried about moving away from the Stormcrow. If someone doesn't lock it down (or better yet, take it out), it's in a perfect position to flank around behind. If I can hold it there, then maybe the Kurita mechs can hold the line there.

Black Lives Matter

WestorEast

Post by WestorEast »

H-H will fire at the 2927 Loki, advancing to 5350 to bring the lasers into play as well.

The Kurita P. Hawk will fire at either the Man-O-War or the Thor, preference given to the Man-O-War, advancing if needed to bring all weapons into range

While these are in bold, I'm still quite open to changing them should a need arise.
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:25 pm
TotallyNotEvil wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:57 pm That 2929 Loki at a mere +1 is looking mighty tasty right now.
I think you are referring to:
Target modifiers:
Daishi: +1
Ryoken 1410: +3
Vulture 1213: 0
Vulture 1209: +1
Loki 1806: +2
Mad Cat 2003: +4
Ryoken 2702: +3
Thor: +5
Man O' War: +2
Nobori-Nin: +4
Mad Cat 2532: +2
Ryoken 2231: +3
Loki 2929: +1
To be honest, I've been glossing over that because I don't know what it means. Not in a practical, actionable, sense. And I felt like I was the only one asking LOTS of basic questions. So :oops:

How should I be using that information in my decision making? Or is it moot since I'm more of a short/medium and my options are usually much more limited? Are these numbers that we will have to add to our to hit chance for those targets based on their movement/cover from the prior round? (Which makes the comment about the Thor being unhittable make more sense.)
From what I gather, you take your Gunnery, add any and all penalties involved (from moving, cover, range) and that becomes the number you must equal or beat to hit with your gun. So, the higher the number, the harder they are to hit. We are rolling 2d6 to try and beat the final value.

So the Thor, for example, has a whopping +5 to hitting it. That's massive, and at this point I've learned that it's better to let it go and focus on what's vulnerable. Shooting against a +5 is going to be hard for our best gunners while standing still, and if we are standing still we don't have a high defensive mod of our own.

I don't know if melee ignores that tho. Does it, Nick?

I believe that everyone shoots at the same time, so you could have mechs knock each other out, for example. But don't quote me on that =P

I agree with you, loking down that northern Ryoken is a good call. Maybe keep pressuring it with your crusader, while the Orion and Marauder move to fire the Loki?
Leraje

Post by Leraje »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:27 pm Fun fact: my current 2d6 average is 5 over ten rolls. Did some astech die during the refits and curse my Griffin?
When we get back to the barn, I'll be filing a requisition for at least 2 sacrificial Astechs to appease the dice. Feel free to join in the ceremony - I'm tired of barely hitting things...

BL-KNT >> backpedal to 3927, face SW, fire ErPPC and ErLL x2 @ Hellbringer 2929
ON1-K >> 2703, fire @ Stormcrow 2702, then kick it in the face.
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

Matter of fact, Mix, why don't you take the Kurita Crusader and engage in GLORIOUS MELEE COMBAT with the back of the topmost Ryoken? After firing into it, of course. Giving a friendly warning with twelve SRMs, some lasers and machine guns is only fair. I think that 6 movement is just enough.

If it isn't, you can probably still LRM de Loki.

Or, if kicks to the face are a thing, go to 2802 and help the Orion out in kicking the Ryoken's.

Whoever has the P. Hawk and especially the Awesome, consider backstabbing the Man-o-War.

Marauder, maybe get up and alpha the 1806 Loki?

The 2003 Mad Cat looks at tad too hard to hit, but perhaps one of the Kuritas in the central scrum can move up to block it. Maybe something shitty, like the Shadow Hawk. Others could turn around to fire at the 1912 Mad Cat's back, or get to the edge of the woods and fire on the 1806 Loki.

As for myself:

LICH: Jump to 3724, alpha the 2929 Loki. Nick, please check if my trait to only take +2 when jumping is on?
ARC-2R: 1x LRM the 1806 Loki.

Guapo and Isgrimmur, I'd suggest one going for the Man-o-War as well and the other turning on the 1806 Loki.

Moley, the Nobori-Nin is almost out, and there's a Mad Cat at only +2 with your back to you. Either sounds good.
Last edited by TotallyNotEvil on Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I opted for 2802 figuring that 1) I might get a height advantage, 2) I would still be able to melee (kick to torso?), and 3) would be further away from the elementals as well as the mechs to the west.

I assume you mean 2601? My main concerns with that are 1) the Stormcrow might move, 2) I'd have my back to the mechs to the west, and 3) closer to the elementals. Oh, and it would have less chance of preventing the Stormcrow from being able to advance further east.

Though I'm open to suggestions if the gains outweigh the risks (I assume the primary gain is being able to attack from behind).

Edit: Oh, and in case it was missed, I had already put in instructions to go to 2802.

Black Lives Matter

TheMix

Post by TheMix »

What does "alpha" mean? Just that it's your primary target?

Black Lives Matter

TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:23 pm What does "alpha" mean? Just that it's your primary target?
Alpha strike, or "fire everything".

But yeah, going to 2601 would be something of a gambit. Getting into its face and kicking it sounds great too.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:24 pm
TheMix wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:23 pm What does "alpha" mean? Just that it's your primary target?
Alpha strike, or "fire everything".
:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Black Lives Matter

NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:43 pm I don't know if melee ignores that tho. Does it, Nick?

I believe that everyone shoots at the same time, so you could have mechs knock each other out, for example. But don't quote me on that =P
Melee uses the same exact modifiers as ranged fire, although kicks get a natural -2 to the target number, making them the superior option when they're available (the only down side is that if you miss, you have to make a PSR to avoid falling over, but you guys are good enough that you usually don't fail those any more).

And yes, firing is resolved simultaneously so you can easily have two mechs annihilate each other.
TotallyNotEvil wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:57 pm Don't I have a trait that dings 1 from the jumping penalty, tho?
You do, my bad. It would only be a +2 then.
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

How many hexes can my Mackie move backwards while keeping that Black Hawk in 2627 in my firing arc? I’d like to do that but also trying to avoid those pesky elementals in hex 2623. I figured I’d get everyone’s attention while Moley runs around behind them causing all sorts of mischief.

Well with that Kurita Warhammer getting itself blown up at least I don’t have to worry about moving two mechs… :lol:
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
moleymoleymoley

Post by moleymoleymoley »

So many delicious targets, so little time!

Guap and isgrim need to hit that south Loki with the 1 hit mod right?

I think I need to move into woods and try and hit the mad cat (the nobori has too high a hit penalty after I move, which I have to in case the nova comes for me)

the mix

We're all winging it a bit but you're doing fine, unfortunately you're driving a convertible now, as the roof of your cockpit is no more :D alll the better for intimidating the enemy with your battle cry! If you take another hit to the head you'll be dead unfortunately, risk reward baby!

A few things:

- The movement is the first part of the turn, the firing is the second, so your/their movement mod gets added to the firing that follows it. We always win initiative, so we will see where they move before we do, a big advantage.
- The phoenix hawk is a kuritan, on our side, not a clanner, so you're safe there. The green border around their name indicates they're an ally.
- your plan to move into the trees is what I would do, then fire everything at the gargoyle, it only has a small to hit penalty, is already damaged and is an 80 tonner, you could take down a formidable opponent! The nobori is hull down (on its belly) behind a hill, it won't see you.
- Not sure if the vulture can still ignore trees if you're standing in them, but you're in trouble with them no matter where you go I think

My process is usually have a look who I can sneak up behind ( rear armour is always much thinner, plus they can't shoot you with most of their weapons), see what their + modifier is, if it's a 3 or a 4, choose a different one/take cover instead, unless I can get into melee range or its particularly beat up already
moleymoleymoley

can I move to 2230 via 2228 so I can have a +1 for moving 3 and a +1 for light woods, and then fire everything at the mad cat please
Last edited by moleymoleymoley on Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
moleymoleymoley

Wait! Scrap that, I have an awesome idea! Did you say we could sprint? If so, CHARGE THE MAD CAT! Try and knock him into the water!

If not, run in behind him, fire non arm med lasers and try and push him in the drink
TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

Moley, can't your Thud split fire without penalty? Why not send some LRMs into something further away?

The Loki or the Elementals could be good targets.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

moleymoleymoley wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:21 am - The movement is the first part of the turn, the firing is the second, so your/their movement mod gets added to the firing that follows it. We always win initiative, so we will see where they move before we do, a big advantage.
Still a bit confused then. If that is the case, then the movement from the previous turn is irrelevant. Only the next turn. So what are the target modifier numbers? I thought they were accounting for movement. But if they haven't moved yet, we have no idea what movement modifiers will be. Are those from other things, and there will be additional modifiers from movement?
- The phoenix hawk is a kuritan, on our side, not a clanner, so you're safe there. The green border around their name indicates they're an ally.
I knew that. I got confused by the write-up. (I don't blame NA! Doing those must be a lot of work!) The Vulture wasn't mentioned and since the Phoenix Hawk was mentioned most recently, I got confused with who did what. I'm going to start using Find/Search to highlight the parts of the actual firing results.
- your plan to move into the trees is what I would do, then fire everything at the gargoyle, it only has a small to hit penalty, is already damaged and is an 80 tonner, you could take down a formidable opponent! The nobori is hull down (on its belly) behind a hill, it won't see you.
"it only has a small to hit penalty" - This is what I don't understand. Why does it have any penalty since movement hasn't happened yet? Obviously these numbers are coming from somewhere else that I haven't yet grasped. Assuming I'm able to move, that will add additional penalties from my movement and possibly woods obstructions, right? And if it moves, then there will be additional modifications? And people played this with pen and paper on the table? Insane! :shock: (The discussions/arguments must have been epic!)
- Not sure if the vulture can still ignore trees if you're standing in them, but you're in trouble with them no matter where you go I think
Apparently. Since I can't jump, there is no way I can get out of range. My only hope is that if I can turn, maybe it'll hit a part that still has armor.
My process is usually have a look who I can sneak up behind ( rear armour is always much thinner, plus they can't shoot you with most of their weapons), see what their + modifier is, if it's a 3 or a 4, choose a different one/take cover instead, unless I can get into melee range or its particularly beat up already
Sadly, that only works if someone else is occupying their attention. That wasn't the case. Perhaps if the Phoenix Hawk went after the Vulture. Even then, I'm sure that now I'm the juicier target.

Black Lives Matter

TotallyNotEvil

Post by TotallyNotEvil »

The way we are doing it is that the entirety of the enemy force has already moved, and thus has already accrued their to-hit modifiers.

That way we can actually plan out what we want to do instead of second-guessing every decision or writing ten conditionals. "Here's the board after the enemy moved, these are the modifiers. Go."
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:06 pm The way we are doing it is that the entirety of the enemy force has already moved, and thus has already accrued their to-hit modifiers.

That way we can actually plan out what we want to do instead of second-guessing every decision or writing ten conditionals. "Here's the board after the enemy moved, these are the modifiers. Go."
Oh. Wow. This is some pretty snappy software. That's pretty cool. So even though we don't actually know where they are going to move, we know what the modifier to hit them will be (assuming that after they move they are still in a spot we can target). So, for example, if the Thor is showing a +5, it's a safe bet that it's going to be jumping somewhere?

Black Lives Matter

Leraje

Post by Leraje »

TheMix wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:25 pm
TotallyNotEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:06 pm The way we are doing it is that the entirety of the enemy force has already moved, and thus has already accrued their to-hit modifiers.

Oh. Wow. This is some pretty snappy software. That's pretty cool. So even though we don't actually know where they are going to move, we know what the modifier to hit them will be (assuming that after they move they are still in a spot we can target). So, for example, if the Thor is showing a +5, it's a safe bet that it's going to be jumping somewhere?
Not exactly, their movement already completed, on the map you see the final positions for this turn (except for the ACE pilot).
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Then I'm still not following. If we are seeing their final positions, then wouldn't that mean that they aren't going to move after we move? But they have been. At least, I thought they have been. If their current positions are where we are going to fire at, but then we move and they move before firing... I still don't comprehend. Or are you saying that even though we move first, in actuality, they are moving first?

Black Lives Matter

Leraje

Post by Leraje »

TheMix wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:58 pm Then I'm still not following. If we are seeing their final positions, then wouldn't that mean that they aren't going to move after we move? But they have been. At least, I thought they have been. If their current positions are where we are going to fire at, but then we move and they move before firing... I still don't comprehend. Or are you saying that even though we move first, in actuality, they are moving first?
Hmm... let me try to break down the turn sequence for this scenario:
1. Scenario assumes that we always win initiative, meaning that OpFor gets to declare their moves first and we get to react to an updated picture giving us advantage of not having to guess.
2. Clan forces declare and execute their moves, except for mechs declared ACE (they get to move after us)
3. We declare and execute our moves.
4. Clan ACE pilots declare and execute their moves.
5. Both sides declare their firing solutions and resolve the results simultaneously.
6. Surviving and remaining upright mechs from both sides declare melee attacks and resolve them simultaneously.
7. Heat dumping resolved.
8. Turn end.
moleymoleymoley

TotallyNotEvil wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:06 am Moley, can't your Thud split fire without penalty? Why not send some LRMs into something further away?

The Loki or the Elementals could be good targets.
Oh yeah the multi Trak! Will have to be something I'm facing while pushing the mad cat though.

fire my LRMs at the back of that ryoken
moleymoleymoley

Leraje wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:22 pm
TheMix wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:58 pm Then I'm still not following. If we are seeing their final positions, then wouldn't that mean that they aren't going to move after we move? But they have been. At least, I thought they have been. If their current positions are where we are going to fire at, but then we move and they move before firing... I still don't comprehend. Or are you saying that even though we move first, in actuality, they are moving first?
1. Scenario assumes that we always win initiative, meaning that OpFor gets to declare their moves first and we get to react to an updated picture giving us advantage of not having to guess.
2. Clan forces declare and execute their moves, except for mechs declared ACE (they get to move after us)
5. Both sides declare their firing solutions and resolve the results simultaneously.
6. Surviving and remaining upright mechs from both sides declare melee attacks and resolve them simultaneously.
8. Turn end.
The image we see is always taken after step 2 here.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

moleymoleymoley wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:13 pm
Leraje wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:22 pm
8. Turn end.
The image we see is always taken after step 2 here.
Thanks. To both of you. I thought the image was a "start of turn" image. This helps it make more sense. And make the targeting modifications make more sense as well.

Black Lives Matter