Random randomness

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: Random randomness

Post by Daehawk »

I think next McDonalds trip Ill order a large no ice cola.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kasey Chang wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:15 pm Bear in a tree caused police to order the neighborhood into shelter-in-place in Petaluma, CA. The 400-500 pound bear apparently got scared and climbed up about 75-85 ft of a 150 ft tall tree.
News reported that the bear eventually came down and disappeared toward the golf course.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And shot a par 4 on the first hole.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It was a Golden Bear?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Max Peck wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:50 am It was a Golden Bear?
[golf] :clap:
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

No, his name was Arnold.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:34 am At some point in the future (post-Christmas), I need to replace our worn-out, 20-year-old Wal-Mart table lamp.

It' surprisingly hard to find something that doesn't look like it belongs in my grandmother's house.
it's posts like this that make me lament the inequitable distribution of 'stuff' just in our own country. i see decent looking lamps all the time in thrift stores here - or cheap/free on nextdoor/craigslist - or even just sitting on a street corner. i had one here i had to give away to goodwill because no one wanted it for $0.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's more a style thing for me. 98% of everything is the same urn/vase/pillar style that's been in everyone's grandmother's house. I eventually found a few that I like that are a little different, although most of them are way too expensive for me. Some of them are more... out there than what I wanted, but nothing in my house looks like a Victorian urn or lathed pillar. Why would I want this one item to look like one? They fit me about as well as floral wallpaper.

Examples:
Spoiler:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
telcta

Post by telcta »

Anyone know what this little doo-hickey thing is above the traffic lights and cameras? I'm seeing more of these popping up and first thought it was a camera until I saw this picture. Maybe a light... But it seems small for that. Someone said it could be a sensor for emergency vehicles to control the lights, or possibley detect wrong-way drivers?

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's a weird one. I believe the device that emergency vehicles use to change the lights is the tiny black vertical rectangle off to the right of the light, on top of the mounting bar - it almost looks like a bird at first glance.

The thing you're pointing to looks like a light, but that doesn't make any sense. Maybe it's connected to the operation of the cameras somehow?

EDIT: The internet is telling me it's a traffic detector.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Bold Italic

In truth, the small white squares, Proxim Wireless transponders to be exact, perched atop a selection of the city’s intersections have more to do with ensuring safety than anything else. Recently in Los Angeles, the fire department has started implementing “Traffic Signal Preemption Systems,” or radio transponders slapped on to the sides of their fire trucks that interact with other sensors connected to streetlights to change the lights from red to green.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The bell shaped thing? Its a camera.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:34 pm The bell shaped thing? Its a camera.

That’s what I originally thought but I don’t understand what the purpose of a camera pointing straight down would be since ther are other cameras.

It doesn’t have a flat surface like what Isgrimnur posted. I’ll see if I can get under one of those and take another picture. maybe I could zoom in and see if it’s a lens.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

telcta wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:40 pm
Daehawk wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:34 pm The bell shaped thing? Its a camera.

That’s what I originally thought but I don’t understand what the purpose of a camera pointing straight down would be since ther are other cameras.

It doesn’t have a flat surface like what Isgrimnur posted. I’ll see if I can get under one of those and take another picture. maybe I could zoom in and see if it’s a lens.
Supposedly its a 360 degree camera. I dont think this one is finished yet.
Enlarge Image
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Interesting!

That actually looks like an audio XLR cable plugged into the post.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Gridsmart makes them. Hence the G on the thing covering the lens area I guess.

https://gridsmart.com/products/the-bell-camera/

Enlarge Image
telcta

Post by telcta »

Thanks, Daehawk! I think that’s it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cool. You're welcome. Hope thats what it was you were interested in and not the box. Finding any sensible info on 'box shaped thingy on red light camera' is a headache of Google returns.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Your searching skills were much better than mine. I was trying to figure that one out for awhile now before I turned to the experts here.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

telcta wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:16 am Your searching skills were much better than mine. I was trying to figure that one out for awhile now before I turned to the experts here.
Next time, come here first. We have Isgrimnur on retainer.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

And my wife has a bridge.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:31 am
telcta wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:16 am Your searching skills were much better than mine. I was trying to figure that one out for awhile now before I turned to the experts here.
I got this one wrong, tho.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:32 am
Kraken wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:31 am
I got this one wrong, tho.
Merely a blip in your algorithm... no problem :). I got out this morning and grabbed a picture from underneath another location. It's exactly the one Daehawk posted.

Enlarge Image
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And now you're on camera taking a photo of it. Wishing you the best.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:56 am And now you're on camera taking a photo of it. Wishing you the best.
Enlarge Image
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
telcta

Post by telcta »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:44 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:56 am And now you're on camera taking a photo of it. Wishing you the best.
Enlarge Image
If I were to disappear, no one here would notice so I need to post more.

On that note... I'm trying to change up some of my eating habits, eating less carbs and cutting way back on alcohol consumption. One thing I never was able to get into was yogurt, tried a couple times many years ago, couldn't get past the smell and taste.

Wondering if things have changed, I decided to visit a part of the grocery store I never go to... the yogurt section. Holy cow there is a ton of different options and so many look downright unhealthy, like...

Enlarge Image

I picked up a Black Cherry flavored low sugar greek yogurt that was surprisingly very good.
Enlarge Image

I can see myself eating more yogurt, so it's time to experiment with different options.

Yogurt? You like?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sugar is the yogurt wildcard, as you can see. "But look how little fat we have!"
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I love those Chobani Flips but they are more snack/dessert than a healthy breakfast :)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm a fan but I don't eat yogurt that's good for me. Most yogurt on the shelf is pasteurized, killing all the stuff that's supposed to be probiotic and then they either add sugar to make up for the fats.
telcta

Post by telcta »

I did see some probiotic specific yogurts and was curious about that. I'm just happy that I didn't gag trying yogurt, they really seem to have improved the taste since I last tried it holding my nose.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Noosa is the only yogurt for me since I found it this year. All the flavors I've tried are great. Its fruit on bottom type. But even the yogurt on top is amazing by itself.

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:13 pm I'm a fan but I don't eat yogurt that's good for me. Most yogurt on the shelf is pasteurized, killing all the stuff that's supposed to be probiotic and then they either add sugar to make up for the fats.
Those that are probiotic are pasteurized and then have fresh bacteria added back in. Look for yogurts stating, "Live and active cultures."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

telcta wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:51 pm Yogurt? You like?
I do, but if you want to step up your yogurt-y prowess with a view towards eating healthier and saving money while you're at it, I'd recommend avoiding premade flavoured yogurt pots. Because as gilraen aptly observes, they tend to be more snack/dessert than much else.

Instead, consider purchasing a big tub of plain yogurt with live and active cultures + a suitable frozen berry blend. Mix together ~6-8oz of yogurt with a handful of berries in some glass snapware containers, and set 'em back in the fridge to defrost overnight. If you're not averse to a minimal amount of healthy carbs, consider also adding in some old fashioned oats, nuts, flax seeds etc. for good measure. If you require more sweetness stir in a little honey just prior to consuming, and you'll have something that tastes much better -- and is much better for you -- than any premade flavoured yogurt pots. And costs a whole lot less to boot.

You can also add vanilla extract or some suitable sugar-free Torani syrup to flavour however you prefer.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
telcta

Post by telcta »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:12 pm
telcta wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:51 pm Yogurt? You like?
I do, but if you want to step up your yogurt-y prowess with a view towards eating healthier and saving money while you're at it, I'd recommend avoiding premade flavoured yogurt pots. Because as gilraen aptly observes, they tend to be more snack/dessert than much else.

Instead, consider purchasing a big tub of plain yogurt with live and active cultures + a suitable frozen berry blend. Mix together ~6-8oz of yogurt with a handful of berries in some glass snapware containers, and set 'em back in the fridge to defrost overnight. If you're not averse to a minimal amount of healthy carbs, consider also adding in some old fashioned oats, nuts, flax seeds etc. for good measure. If you require more sweetness stir in a little honey just prior to consuming, and you'll have something that tastes much better -- and is much better for you -- than any premade flavoured yogurt pots. And costs a whole lot less to boot.

You can also add vanilla extract or some suitable sugar-free Torani syrup to flavour however you prefer.
Thank you! This is where I ultimately would want to end up. I ignored yogurt for so many years it’s time to see if it’s not as bad as I had thought.

Even with sales where you get 10 cups for $10, it still seems expensive and a waste. For now it’s good to see what I would like and gravitate to a certain brand. I love the idea of mixing your own fruit… I usually get some frozen fruit from Aldi. Oooo, that reminds me, I should see what Aldi has.

I’m new to all this yogurt and seeing sooooo many options, it’s difficult to know where to start. I think I can safely ignore all the snack types with candy and chocolate.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
telcta

Post by telcta »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:33 pm Noosa is the only yogurt for me since I found it this year. All the flavors I've tried are great. Its fruit on bottom type. But even the yogurt on top is amazing by itself.
Nice! I’ll keep an eye out for that brand.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Extending ABs thought, there is a whole thing on "overnight oats" which is basically taking oats, yorgurt, and fruit and letting sit in the fridge

https://www.google.com/search?q=overnight+oats
Anonymous Bosch

LordMortis wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:40 pm Extending ABs thought, there is a whole thing on "overnight oats" which is basically taking oats, yorgurt, and fruit and letting sit in the fridge

https://duckduckgo.com/overnight+oats
FTFY. ;)
telcta

Post by telcta »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:40 pm Extending ABs thought, there is a whole thing on "overnight oats" which is basically taking oats, yorgurt, and fruit and letting sit in the fridge

https://www.google.com/search?q=overnight+oats
I saw that on the menu at one of the coffee shops I go to. I’m on my way past there now and I’ll pick up one. That really seems like a good idea because I love oatmeal. I’ve been doing plain oatmeal and putting my own brown sugar on it to control the amount of sugar. The maple and brown sugar oatmeal packets are just too much.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I really should revisit duckduckgo as my search engine.