Keep getting logged out

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

stessier

Keep getting logged out

Post by stessier »

My work computer keeps logging me out and dropping my posts. I'm working from home and all my other devices aren't having a problem. I already deleted cookies... is there something else i should try?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Re: Keep getting logged out

Post by ImLawBoy »

Maybe take a damn hint?

(More seriously, I have no clue but hopefully someone else can help you.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
naednek

Post by naednek »

that's been my issue for years. I just learned to deal with it. New computer, same problem. Different browser, same problem. Work computer same problem.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Tao

Post by Tao »

I don't post that often so this never really came up before. I wrote a fairly lengthy post in the Gamin in General area and had to step away from the computer for a while, came back finished typing my post and hit submit only to find my session had timed out and my post was lost to the ether. Very annoying, particularly since I don't have the time or inclination to redo the whole thing. Guess I should start drafting my posts in Notepad first. :(
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
stessier

Post by stessier »

Not that it will help if you forget, but there is a Save Draft button next to Preview. Use it before walking away and at least you'll have something to come back to.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've never had anything on OO time out, but I have submitted things and had an internet hiccup eat it. I used to periodically copy-paste my longer posts into Notepad, just in case. Then I noticed that we actually have a 'Save draft' button down there. Every once in a while I will just CTRL-A, CTRL-C (just in case) and 'Save draft.' It works perfectly.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

When I post through the VPN I sometimes get a weird error when I hit submit post. I can just click the back arrow, though, and it goes back to where I was with the text I had already typed. I re-submit and it works. Go figure.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:08 pm When I post through the VPN I sometimes get a weird error when I hit submit post. I can just click the back arrow, though, and it goes back to where I was with the text I had already typed. I re-submit and it works. Go figure.
When you say WFH and work computer, VPN is the first thing that comes to mind but that doesn't speak to other issues not related to work computers. If it's some computers but not all computers then I'd look for what's different.

> Start by looking at your installed programs both through control panel and through apps and features. They don't always yield the same results at apps and features don't necessarily install through the same method as what you seen in programs in control panel.
>Ctrl -Alt - Del to look at what's running and what starts up.
> then look at how your different devices are connecting. My wireless router ends up putting out 2 SSIDs for two different wavelengths. Connecting to 2.4 ghz is stable but 5ghz seems to have all kindsa weirdness.
> what peripherals do you have attached. I've seen both Lenovo's and Dell's get whacky with when their factory installed updater runs while connected to Display Port monitors and/or USB port replicators.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, if you have a Dell or Lenovo, find the Command Center (Dell) or ThinkVantage (Lenovo) find your system updater and to turn off the auto launch for it. Use them infrequently but don't let them run all of the time. They are just intrusive as all get out.
Last edited by LordMortis on Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Work computer is the only one on the VPN, and the error message is something about secure connection failing. Regardless, the workaround is so simple that it's not worth the effort to troubleshoot.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Thanks for the tips all.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Been getting logged out quite a lot lately. Used to only do it about once a day, but now it's been doing it multiple times a day.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stessier

Post by stessier »

I haven't been having any issues and use the non HTTPS address (not sure if that makes a difference).
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Huh, I do use the HTTPS, but one would likely want it to be secure.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti