OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Isgrimnur

Re: OO Boardgamers, what did you play this weekend?

Post by Isgrimnur »

I may have to go check out Tash Kalar to get my play in.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:58 pm I may have to go check out Tash Kalar to get my play in.
Now you are really trying to make me cry.

Have fun anyway!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Boudreaux wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:17 pm So here's a new one: has anyone played Cave Evil? It's published by a small game company, and has somewhat low production quality, but the art is neat and the concept is...different. Each player is a necromancer trying to kill all the other necromancers, or trigger and "win" the endgame condition. The various creatures and events that come into the game run from annoying to ridiculously deadly, and...well, here's an example of how gameplay can work. At one point, one of the players attacked a minion creature controlled by another player, killed it, ripped it apart, and built a suit of armor out of its bones.
I played Cave Evil for the first time today. It's pretty delightful - ridiculously overpowered abilities, goofy heavy metal monsters. All of us were new to the game and we had to look up more than a few rules edge cases, but I think that's fine for a 10-year-old indie game.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Leaving Earth tonight, for the first time in quite a while. My son suggested it and was totally into the game, which made my heart grow three sizes.

Toward the end, it was clear that whoever was first to return a sample from the lunar surface would win. But time was running late, so we decided to undertake an unprecedented joint French-Soviet mission to bring those damn moon rocks back together.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My wife surprised me for my birthday with Zombicide 2E base set and the two expansions, Washington ZC and Fort Hendrix. I'd never played the original Zombicide so I'd always been curious to maybe jump in with 2E, but was a little scared off by the simplistic ruleset.

I must admit my first run through I was thinking, "Is this it?" Zombies always hit, you're rolling basic 6-sided dice, zombies are either kill or nothing, no damage tracking. I had the sinking feeling this was essentially a kid's game and I'd made a terrible mistake ever pointing it out in the game store to my wife.

So I regrouped and skimmed another playthrough video where people were (apparently) having a blast with this dumb game, and decided to set it back up for another go.

On the second run I fixed some rules mistakes I'd made the first time around and due to some different card draws I'm now all of a sudden getting swarmed. There are zombies everywhere, and I've got a guy dual-wielding pistols trying to fend off their slow advance while a couple of kids try to smash and grab the objective before they're overrun. I'm screaming at the dice when they don't roll my way and cheering when they do.

That's when the game finally clicked for me. Yes, it's goofy and dumb, and that's exactly what it's supposed to be. Hordes of zombies, tons of carnage, frantically trying to do what you need to do before the odds shift. But it's also in many ways a puzzle game - figuring out how to use noise to steer zombies where you want them to go. knowing when to take risks and when to step back. It's fast, it's frantic, and it's really unlike anything else I have in my collection of minis-&-dice games. I still think it's a bit too simplistic for my regular gaming group, but I think I could get my son into it for sure.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I still need to get around to devoting some time to Zombicide! I only have Rue Morgue, but it's been calling my name for a couple of years now.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

I bought Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth yesterday during my FLGS' Black Friday Weekend sale. I hope to have time today to get in an adventure!

I sleeved about half of the cards (Items) last night after I got home. From what I can tell on BGG the other cards don't really need to be sleeved. Anyone have this game and have suggestions on whether the other cards need to be sleeved or not? Man oh man these cards are tiny! :shock:
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

The only cards that need to be sleeved are cards that are going to be shuffled into a players deck and reshuffled (frequently in this game).

For example, if I'm playing as Aragorn my starting deck will be made up of the 5 or 6 Aragorn cards, the 5 or 6 Basic cards, whatever class cards I've chosen, say Pathfinde, and 1 random Weakness card. You only start with 3 class cards (the ones with green background numbered 1-3) but will eventually add more as you level up.

There are a number of Title cards that can be earned and added to your deck as well, and its possible to get stuck with more Weakness cards too.

The damage and fear decks are shuffled up but only at the start of a game so they're not shuffled anywhere near as often. Besides them there are terrain reference cards that don't really need to be sleeved... and the item cards are only ever laid out for reference so sleeveing them isn't a priority if you're short on sleeves.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Well I was gambling that Zombicide would be a hit with my son (age 10) and hit the jackpot.

We played for 2 1/2 hours tonight. That's the first time he's sat down and played a board game with me since he was maybe 4 years old and still into Candyland. My wife said that alone was worth every penny. My son and I are super close, but getting him away from Fortnite to sit down with a board game was almost unheard of.

I skipped showing him the tutorial since I'd already played it twice, and decided to jump right into the deep end with the first real scenario. He picked up the rules very quickly, just needing reminders here and there of his survivors' special abilities.

Our first attempt I lost the game for us by leaving a survivor in a spawn zone, where she got jumped by 5 walkers and devoured. Rookie mistake, and one my son even tried to warn me about before it happened. I asked him if he wanted to retcon it and pretend I stopped short of moving into that zone, and he was having none of that "cheating." I figured he just wanted to get back to Xbox, so I started putting everything away.

"What are you doing?" he said. "We're trying again!" I had to set the mission back up for another attempt, this time winning quite handily thanks to the strategy he came up with. My daughter even got interested in the gameplay, offering to be the official "dice roller" for combat resolution.

I'm now a true convert. Even my wife started showing a bit of interest as she watched us. Sometimes I forget how intimidating these non-mass market games can be to non-gamers. What I initially viewed as simplistic is a perfect gateway for the family, and still a heck of a lot of fun.
tylertoo

Post by tylertoo »

That is a great story YellowKing, thanks for sharing.
YellowKing wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:54 pm Sometimes I forget how intimidating these non-mass market games can be to non-gamers. What I initially viewed as simplistic is a perfect gateway for the family, and still a heck of a lot of fun.
Our daughter is older -- 21 -- and for several years our family gaming consisted of Apples to Apples, Qwerkle and Ticket to Ride. Last year, at the start of the pandemic with her home from college, I took a chance and ordered Viticulture Essential Edition. After a few false starts, both she and my wife got the hang of it. And now, more than a year later, they're both obsessed with the game. When our daughter was home this past week for Thanksgiving break, they planned Viticulture in the schedule amid shopping, cooking and getting their nails done. I lost to them. I lose to them consistently. But of course I love it because they love it and because the game is engrossing.

I'm looking now for something similar to give them as a Christmas gift. I was thinking of Obsession, but not sure of its availability.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

tylertoo wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:59 am I'm looking now for something similar to give them as a Christmas gift. I was thinking of Obsession, but not sure of its availability.
The designer/publisher of Obsession just got a new printing in. You can order from their website: https://www.kayentapublishing.com/
tylertoo

Post by tylertoo »

I did see that but I wasn't from the website whether they are fulfilling previous orders first, or if new orders, like mine, would also ship out fairly quickly. I just emailed that question to them. Thanks!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

YellowKing wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:04 am My wife surprised me for my birthday with Zombicide 2E base set and the two expansions, Washington ZC and Fort Hendrix. I'd never played the original Zombicide so I'd always been curious to maybe jump in with 2E, but was a little scared off by the simplistic ruleset.
I had heard good things about this game but there are a lot of options out there and geez, is $99 to $125 for the base game normal? That's steep.

Which is the best base game to get? Seem to be several versions that say base.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Others can chime in with their opinions, but I'd probably recommend the recently released 2nd edition of the core Zombicide game, mainly because it will be the 2.0 rules and updated components. Unless you have a strong draw to the other themes (Medieval, Space) I'm always going to recommend the newest. The other thing to understand with CMON games is that they're created for FOMO crowds during a Kickstarter campaign. So much extra stuff that adds to the experience, but isn't necessary to enjoy the core loop. Try not to get roped into thinking you need to buy it all. In my experience, unless you get in on the cheaper pricing during a KS, it's likely not worth it. If Western theme is of interest, there is a KS delivering in Q1 2022 (allegedly) with that theme and a Marvel Zombicide that was just announced. I've heard good things about the Medieval themed one and even the space theme, but I kinda burned out on the original and am waiting for the Western one to be delivered so I can see if the 2.0 rules are more agreeable.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Lassr wrote:Which is the best base game to get? Seem to be several versions that say base.
If you want to go with the latest and greatest, the 2nd Edition just came out which has a streamlined ruleset and some minor changes. There's only one core set out so far for 2nd edition, and two second edition campaign expansions - Washington Z.C. and Fort Hendrix.

The MSRP is steep because the game has a ton of minis (80+ I think?). 25 scenarios in the core box though, the majority of which seem to be 45-90 minutes. So seems like plenty of value there.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I backed the upcoming wild west version because...well...cowboys.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm a little bummed I passed on the Western one, but at the time I wasn't even sure if I'd like Zombicide.

Oh well, I'll grab it at retail. I honestly don't care that much about the KS extras, it's just more crap for me to paint. :D
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:32 pm The other thing to understand with CMON games is that they're created for FOMO crowds during a Kickstarter campaign. So much extra stuff that adds to the experience, but isn't necessary to enjoy the core loop. Try not to get roped into thinking you need to buy it all.
I really dislike CMON's model for KS exclusives. I felt very pressured to back the Masters of the Universe game because, if you wanted to get a full compliment of the multitude of He-Man characters, you basically had to jump into the KS. Otherwise you relied on after-market sales (very expensive) or just did without (and I have full on FOMO). For Zombicide, I am less worried, but with a licensed thing like Masters of the Universe, to say "You don't get classic figures like Man-e-Faces or Mosquitor unless you back this now" is irritating. And it was VERY bad for the Marvel United campaigns, where a HUGE amount of the content (compared to the Core Box) was gated as Kickstarter Exclusive.

It makes me appreciate the stuff like TMB or Roll Player where they do not have KS exclusives and unlock content for everyone based on the stretch goals.

That said, I made double the price of my initial pledge solely selling first wave Zombiecide KS exclusive models way back in the day, so I guess I shouldn't complain.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:30 pm I'm a little bummed I passed on the Western one, but at the time I wasn't even sure if I'd like Zombicide.

Oh well, I'll grab it at retail. I honestly don't care that much about the KS extras, it's just more crap for me to paint. :D
With Zombicide, the value of the kickstarter version is in the variety of heroes. Is it too much? Absolutely, both in cost and quantity of stuff. On the other hand, I find the number of heroes in retail to be the bare minimum. I don't even care so much about the references, I just want options.

Of course I have also backed just about every zombicide kickstarter ever made (I think I skipped two?) and I have sold every single one that I have received, several unplayed and most at a loss. This kids got into the space one with me, but I found the different rules for inside and outside annoying. I sold it when I backed the western. That is the last one for me. For real this time! No, I really mean it! What, Marvel? Hmm...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
tylertoo

Post by tylertoo »

tylertoo wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:54 am I did see that but I wasn't from the website whether they are fulfilling previous orders first, or if new orders, like mine, would also ship out fairly quickly. I just emailed that question to them. Thanks!
PS. the game's developer responded to my email question in about 15 minutes. I've now ordered the game and should have it next week, in plenty of time to put under the tree!
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Wife and I spent most of the day watching and learning to play Robinson Crusoe. Half way through our first play through and holy cow this looks incredibly difficult. I just can't see how to win a scenario with the resource gathering and what not.

However, we are really liking the gameplay thus far. Very happy with the purchase.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Good family gaming this weekend: first I taught my wife Tzolk'in (love those gears), then all three of us played Revolution!. I think Revolution! is an overlooked gem: tight, fast, and fun.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Xmann wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:11 am Wife and I spent most of the day watching and learning to play Robinson Crusoe. Half way through our first play through and holy cow this looks incredibly difficult. I just can't see how to win a scenario with the resource gathering and what not.

However, we are really liking the gameplay thus far. Very happy with the purchase.
Don't be afraid to give yourself an edge with either the dog or Friday...or both. Also, that first scenario is notoriously difficult, if I recall.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Xmann wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:11 am Wife and I spent most of the day watching and learning to play Robinson Crusoe. Half way through our first play through and holy cow this looks incredibly difficult. I just can't see how to win a scenario with the resource gathering and what not.

Did you play two player? I think you are supposed to have the dog at that player count (as Hep suggested). But I could be wrong.

The intro scenario is tough. I got pretty close to winning it, but you have to get a LOT of wood by the end, which means planning ahead with enough wood for both the pyre and to survive the winter. You can sort of ignore the palisade, since you have fewer invasions (except for beasts), but it all comes down to some risk/reward and luck. I need to get this back to the table soon.

Today, I got Final Girl in the mail. I look forward to setting it up!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Play mat?

Well....even without that, definitely start with Hans and Happy Camp. You'll probably be putting in about 4 or 5 games with that one to get the hang of things.

Each killer feels quite different, I've noticed. Which is great. However, be aware that when you see the words "terror phase" on a card, they really mean "killer phase". Apparently they let some Hostage Negotiator lingo slip through the cracks with Final Girl.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

In our continuing journey of playing every piece of Detective available, we broke into the latest in their "Signature Series" line of expansions Petty Detectives.

After the disappointing Dune: House Secrets, this was a return to classic form. Using the base Detective set and rules, this one offered a true mystery surrounding a tiger mauling a magician. You are tasked with finding out whether this was an unfortunate accident, or if something nefarious is going on.

The gimmick in this one is that it's bring your pet to work day at HQ, so you have five animal companions that can assist in following various leads. It was a bit "cute" for my tastes, but I give them credit for at least adding a couple of new wrinkles to the gameplay.

Like all Detective games, your enjoyment of this really depends on your group dynamic. We had a good time with it, even though as veteran Detective players we found it a bit on the easy side.

We'll be moving next to some one-off games before starting Pandemic Legacy Season 0 in January.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:29 pm Play mat?
No playmat sadly... :(
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm so sorry. :(
Covfefe!
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Played another round of Robinson Crusoe with the wife and had a much better result. Still lost, but we might have the rules down. Playing scenario 1 again tonight to make sure.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Our group has played every speck of content for Robinson Crusoe, including Voyage of the Beagle and Mystery Tales. It's been a slog at times, leading us to coin the term "table monkey" for any game that is so hard it feels like you're constantly getting kicked in the nuts by a monkey hiding under the table.

On the last scenario of Mystery Tales we lost, and as we regrouped to give it one more try one of the guys in our group angrily stood up and said, "I'm done. I've never liked this game anyway." And walked out. :lol:

I just found it hilarious that it took him the core game and two expansions before he snapped.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:32 pm Our group has played every speck of content for Robinson Crusoe, including Voyage of the Beagle and Mystery Tales. It's been a slog at times, leading us to coin the term "table monkey" for any game that is so hard it feels like you're constantly getting kicked in the nuts by a monkey hiding under the table.

On the last scenario of Mystery Tales we lost, and as we regrouped to give it one more try one of the guys in our group angrily stood up and said, "I'm done. I've never liked this game anyway." And walked out. :lol:

I just found it hilarious that it took him the core game and two expansions before he snapped.
Not sure this is what I want to read while waiting for the new KS version to arrive in about a year or so. :wink:
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

We got crushed again on scenario 1. Tomorrow we are going to give scenario 2 a shot. I have no clue how to beat scenario 1.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Xmann wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:27 am We got crushed again on scenario 1. Tomorrow we are going to give scenario 2 a shot. I have no clue how to beat scenario 1.
Are you always doubling up on tasks for success, never doubling up? A big part of the game is just dumb luck but you also get to decide how much of a role you are letting luck play. You have to find a balance based on how things are going. When lady luck does smack you in the face you have to be ready to mitigate, decide which consequences you can just accept and which you need to negate.

There is a reason people still play and talk about Robinson Crusoe after all this time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Fardaza wrote:Not sure this is what I want to read while waiting for the new KS version to arrive in about a year or so.
Ha, don't worry, it's a great game. It would have to be for my group to stick with it as long as they did and through two expansions. It can be frustratingly challenging at times, but finally achieving victory on a difficult scenario is a sweet, sweet feeling.

Also I think the difficulty is exaggerated a bit in gaming groups/forums for comedic effect. This game has a reputation for beating you up because it's typically an endless parade of misfortunes, so people kind of take that characteristic and run with it.

The guy in my gaming group that owns the game and all of its content still went all-in on the KS, minis and everything.

Yeah and to piggy back on the "doubling up" comment - pay careful to attention to the odds on the dice. Build (brown) dice have the worst odds in the game. Our group has a rule to never roll for builds, period. I believe Explore (green) has the best odds, so IF you have to roll for something, try to make it Explores. Also pump up Morale as much as possible. High morale can help you weather (pun intended) the tragedies that will inevitably befall you.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Got a copy of Paper Dungeons through BGG Market. Did 2 playthroughs yesterday. Fun. Easy. Puzzely. I enjoyed my time with it. Not sure I'd ever play the 12 scenario "campaign", but I'll surely pull it out from time to time!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Xmann wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:14 pm Played another round of Robinson Crusoe with the wife and had a much better result. Still lost, but we might have the rules down. Playing scenario 1 again tonight to make sure.
Redrun and I played a several weeks ago and we were having a hard time grogging some of the rules for some reason. I don't remember having such difficulty before. I fear I'm getting old and my innate comprehension is being reduced from its already diminutive state. I said we'd move on to scenario 2 after I had a chance to reread the rules after resetting my brain. We've had two gaming session since and it's yet to make it back to the table. We'll see.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:08 am
Xmann wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:14 pm Played another round of Robinson Crusoe with the wife and had a much better result. Still lost, but we might have the rules down. Playing scenario 1 again tonight to make sure.
Redrun and I played a several weeks ago and we were having a hard time grogging some of the rules for some reason.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

"and/or pepperoni"

:lol:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:08 am Redrun and I played a several weeks ago and we were having a hard time grogging some of the rules for some reason.
Heinlein’s body is still spinning in its grave. :lol:
Covfefe!
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

About a month ago I went to a community board game sale and picked up a few things, most of which I've tried with my boys now.

Pax Porfiriana. I believe Hepcat had spoken very highly about this, so I was excited when I saw a deluxe version of it for a reasonable price. Personally I really dug the theme. It just took a while for the game play to click, so I don't think the boys were too into it. I love the fact that they can take historical events and themes and make such a crazy game out of it. Would definitely give it another go sometime.

Tide of Iron. My middle son is into anything war and or weapon related. I'm not really into heavy war games myself at this point in my life, but he wanted to spend his own money on this one, so I figured we'd give it a shot. It did pretty much take up the whole day, between reading rules together and setup and playing was about 6.5 hours. But I actually liked it as it got going. It was nice at the end of the day to say "we were able to disable their machine gun nest just long enough to cut through the barbed wire and get behind the fortifications, otherwise we would have been utterly lost. Really solid battle simulator that doesn't quite bog down too heavily into tiny icons and number crunching.

Parfum. I think when I saw it I had mistaken it for some other game I'd seen highly reviewed. Tom Vasel said it best about this one. "It's not a BAD game. If someone really wanted to play it, I'd play with them." Euro game about creating and selling perfumes. Just didn't quite have enough oomph to make it all that interesting too play. And speaking of Tom Vasel...

Nothing Personal. A gangster game created by Tom Vasel himself. We had a lot of fun with this today. The game involves competing over influence of a group of gangsters. Some fun mechanics involved. The components are REALLY high quality. The rulebook left just a bit to be desired, for example, there would be an illustration next to a rules example, but the picture didn't seem to actually demonstrate the example. A couple of events in the game weren't quite explained as fully as you might want. But that aside, really good fun.
No sig, must scream, etc.