Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Video Games Randomness - Prioritize specific game threads!

Post by Daehawk »

This was released for N7 Day. Anyone think the crater looks like a Geth?

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I was in the mood for something a little different yesterday, so I grabbed the new revamped version of Bless Unleashed (F2P MMO) on PS4. Bless Online/Unleashed is a game that has been launched, shut down, and reworked multiple times over the years. I tried the last version a couple years ago and thought it was a complete trainwreck. One of the worst MMO's I've ever played. I heard that they had done a pretty massive overhaul after Bandai Namco acquired the publishing rights, and I'd read a couple of pretty positive reviews, so I figured I'd give it another look. It's free, so no harm if it's still sucks.

The good news is that the game is much improved over the previous version. So much so that it feels like an entirely new game. It looks fantastic, the combat is pretty interesting, the questing and leveling loop is simple to understand and engaging. It's pretty standard eastern MMO with lots of currencies and some confusing systems that aren't explained very well, but I actually had quite a bit of fun with the 3-4 hours I played yesterday.

The bad news is that no one is playing it. Like, at all. This launched a couple weeks ago (Oct 20), and I saw maybe a half dozen people running around in the starter zones. When you log in for the first time, there's only one NA server, and it's population is listed as "Low". There were three separate channels on that server, and each of them also showed "Low". While I haven't attempted any group content yet, I'm guessing it'll be a struggle because the game is pretty much dead. Sadly, what few players there are seem to be virulent racist and sexist garbage people, at least from the world chat. It was about as bad as I've seen in any MMO, and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off.

So while the game may actually be decent this time (as opposed to the two other times they tried launching it), people have been so burned by the devs that no one is playing. Not surprising, as I wouldn't want to put much time or effort into a game that has been shut down, wiped, and relaunched multiple times. There's also lots of folks saying it's P2W as well. That doesn't really bother me much anymore though, as I don't do any PvP. If someone wants to drop a bunch of cash to level quicker in PvE, more power to them.

They should have just scrapped the "Bless" brand entirely and gone with something new here. Seems like there may be a decent game there, but I suspect it'll be dead pretty quickly. It's fun enough to spend a few hours running around the world for free, if you're so inclined.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looks like IGN is coming out wit ha game library / tracker for people to use.

LINK IGN Playlist
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Tomorrow is 10 years to the day since Skyrim came out. I still remember us being down there in the mall in Gamestop to get my copy. Was worth it too.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Daehawk wrote:Tomorrow is 10 years to the day since Skyrim came out. I still remember us being down there in the mall in Gamestop to get my copy. Was worth it too.
I spent more time modding it than playing it. Oops.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've never really paid much attention to Steam cloud saves. They're just sort of... there.

Are they reliable enough to play the same game on multiple PCs? As in, play a game on my desktop, then later kick my feet up in the recliner and continue on my laptop, then go back to the desktop later?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:06 pm I've never really paid much attention to Steam cloud saves. They're just sort of... there.

Are they reliable enough to play the same game on multiple PCs? As in, play a game on my desktop, then later kick my feet up in the recliner and continue on my laptop, then go back to the desktop later?
I have done that. It was a while ago, but I think it asks you if you want to sync up when you change boxes.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Action game central or maybe older action game central. Playing:

Victor Vran and liking it though I am going fairly slowly. Love that you can slot cards to change your play style at will. Still haven't found a use for the lightning gun. The different challenges for each area/dungeon are a neat wrinkle in the standard ARPG formula

Van Helsing- now that I learned if you play offline you can have unlimited character slots it is a lot more fun to play around with different builds.

Inquistor Martyr - I keep playing this for reasons I can't comprehend though they are coming out with a new class......if they only had more varied mission types and added some campaigns vice the very limited mission sets they drop from time to time with no new enemies no new mechanics.

What great ARPGs am I missing, not counting Diablos?
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Jaddison wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:09 am
clearly you need to play

Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:53 pm
Jaddison wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:09 am
clearly you need to play

Hmmmm, are you sure that is better than Sex Prison?

However I have been trying Gunfire Reborn and proving how utterly incompetent I am in such games......I am pretty good in Borderlands types but geez Louise I suck at these
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:42 pm I HIGHLY recommend you look at the Legends stuff, even though many say you need to replace the exciters on the pinball table with better ones on day one.
Got the Legends Ultimate Arcade cabinet up and running yesterday, with a little extra "sauce". It's glorious. Hardest part will be keeping it under wraps until Christmas...I want to play it NOW! Thanks for the nudge in that direction. 8-) Legends Pinball is still in a box in the garage, but I'll get that one set up in the next couple weeks as well. Having both of them in the playroom is going to be fun.

Decided I'm going to pull out a bunch of the toys the kids aren't using and set up a full retro gaming setup downstairs. Have a older TV that I'm going to hook up the Genesis, the Atari 2600 Flashback, and the Pong paddle unit to. Got some LED lighting and some old-school Mario and Pac-Man decals for the wall as well. Won't set it up until Christmas Eve (could be a looooong night), but the kids will love it.

Would love to get one of the NES and/or Super NES Flashback systems as well, but they're hard to find and stupid expensive. Will probably just grab a second Switch (with the Nintendo Online sub for the retro Nintendo stuff) and set it up down there too. That'll be after Christmas though...already busted the budget with all the current stuff.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

for the replica systems, i have
Atari Flashback (several of them, including two of the Flashback 2, which can be modded to accept actual 2600 carts)
NES Mini
SNES Mini
Genesis Mini
PlayStation Mini (three of them - bought two extra when they dropped to $20 clearance prices)
Neo Geo Mini (Southeast Asia/Global edition)

still don't have
TurboGrafx-16/NEC Mini
Intellivision Mini
ColecoVision Mini
C64 Mini

wouldn't mind having one of the Japanese Famicom Mini units, but i never got around to that
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I forgot they did a Playstation one. Doubt I'll pick that one up though, as none of the games really appeal to me much (although I may check into modding capability).

I skipped all the others because I never had those systems growing up. They're not nearly as cool when not supported by nostalgia.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone buy from Gamebillet? Its almost always the place with the lowest prices but Ive always stuck to gmg and gog and fanatical and steam.

So much stuff is really cheap right now. Games Ive had my eye on....but I keep waiting because I get one game and I want it to work.

Like Valhalla...Im worried it wont run good or at all. The last two tiles ran good but then again its brand new. Also it may require win10.
Days Gone....same worries. My system is 10 years old.
Horizon...figure ill just wait and play it on PS4 when I get it moved to the tv
Terminator....not sure its worth $20
Everspace 2 I want most but its new again so worry about the ability to run it
Chernobylite .....this one may work and its not super high
Mafia 1 definitive....Id miss most of the fancy new stuff but it may look and play better than original..have the other two in def editions
state of decay 2....heard bad things
Doom eternal....cheap but doubt it has much depth

So I just keep what money I can save for another sale then either that sale is not as good on the stuff I want or I dont have the money by then because something came up...lol...circle jerk savings strategy..all of nothing is a strategy my friend tells me lol
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:58 pm I forgot they did a Playstation one. Doubt I'll pick that one up though, as none of the games really appeal to me much (although I may check into modding capability).

I skipped all the others because I never had those systems growing up. They're not nearly as cool when not supported by nostalgia.
I used to want to get a SNES and Genesis back. But they were always too high and deep down I knew I wouldn't give them much time like the old days. Looking back is different than now. I really just wanted them back mostly cause I sold the ones my wife got me. But I can never get those exact ones back anyways.

Do still consider a Genesis like my original. I check ebay priced every month. Even seen a few like my old one which is rare to see. But still never bother. Theres probably only about 10 games total I truly loved. But I miss them.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:03 pm Anyone buy from Gamebillet? Its almost always the place with the lowest prices but Ive always stuck to gmg and gog and fanatical and steam.
I've never used them personally, but I have them in my list at ITAD. First off, ITAD has strict policies about who they let on their stores list, and grey market/key dumps are not going to be on there. Nonetheless, I took the time to personally research every seller that I leave enabled there. They're still active on my list. That means I found nothing but good information that they were reliable.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well thats good to know. I was afraid they were like G2A. I liked to get cheap games at G2A but it always felt a little unsafe. Others didn't like them for their practices. I hear they have changed. I look now and their prices aren't so great.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:03 pm So I just keep what money I can save for another sale then either that sale is not as good on the stuff I want or I dont have the money by then because something came up...lol...circle jerk savings strategy..all of nothing is a strategy my friend tells me lol

I knew it! It never fails. I forgot some food items ate the store other than bread so figured Id get it all today so I could stay home over the holiday. I thought I had enough on my food card. But nope...course not. Took half my holiday money to pay the rest. So there goes most games lol. Solved a choice for me anyways.

If they pc Im trying to sell would find a buyer I could have holiday money weee. I may need to mark it down to $200 or less. And thats not shipping it. If I mark it as Ill ship too instead of pick up then Id have to add back about $50.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:12 pm If I mark it as Ill ship too instead of pick up then Id have to add back about $50.
You might want to double check on that before you commit to it. I'd be amazed if you could ship it for that little these days.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:12 pm
Daehawk wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:03 pm So I just keep what money I can save for another sale then either that sale is not as good on the stuff I want or I dont have the money by then because something came up...lol...circle jerk savings strategy..all of nothing is a strategy my friend tells me lol

I knew it! It never fails. I forgot some food items ate the store other than bread so figured Id get it all today so I could stay home over the holiday. I thought I had enough on my food card. But nope...course not. Took half my holiday money to pay the rest. So there goes most games lol. Solved a choice for me anyways.

If they pc Im trying to sell would find a buyer I could have holiday money weee. I may need to mark it down to $200 or less. And thats not shipping it. If I mark it as Ill ship too instead of pick up then Id have to add back about $50.
I got into a lot of headache for this years ago. Its actually at least 125-150 to ship a whole PC and that's not even covering the materials.

Actually scratch that. If your PC is 10 years old add in 200 at least. Otherwise you will be paying someone to take your PC.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am "almost done" with the MW5 campaign. Actually I've finished the "final mission", but since it's and sandbox setup you can keep going and do flashpoints and high reward missions you missed. I'll talk about the rest in the game specific topic.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Looking at other pcs like the one Im selling listed they have their shipping listed at $20....pc with monitor like mine. No idea how they do it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

How do their asking prices compare? And how would those prices compare if they are pickup only?

I have a feeling a lot of people do what Amazon and ebay sellers do - if they have an item worth a hundred bucks that will cost $70 to ship, they sell it for $150 with $20 shipping (or $170 with free shipping.) They're basically moving the shipping price to the item in order to offer reduced shipping. They do it because people fall for it. A lot of them do it the other way around as well - offering the lowest price, but shifting the value to the shipping instead.

(Great book! Our competition sells it for $15, but us? Only $2! Shipping $17.95.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They only want about $170 usually. Thats actually lower than I posted for so I may have to get zilch for this pc. I really thought it would sell in a couple weeks.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:05 pm They only want about $170 usually. Thats actually lower than I posted for so I may have to get zilch for this pc. I really thought it would sell in a couple weeks.
typically only cash-strapped and budget-conscious gamers want second-hand desktop machines - and only if a decent CPU and a _very good_ GPU are included - for a cheap price.

a desktop mostly suitable for office work and video streaming? ...good luck with that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:44 pm a desktop mostly suitable for office work and video streaming? ...good luck with that.
FWIW, if the machine is comparable to that, stop checking where you're looking and check the prices at Goodwill. That's your competition.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:34 pm
hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:44 pm a desktop mostly suitable for office work and video streaming? ...good luck with that.
FWIW, if the machine is comparable to that, stop checking where you're looking and check the prices at Goodwill. That's your competition.
Indeed, that's a valid point.

Also, keep in mind that what you see on sites such as Craigslist are often merely asking prices, which can be inflated with haggling in mind. Meaning they do not necessarily indicate what the listing actually sells for. Checking prices at Goodwill is likely to be a more reliable indicator in terms of pricing the system to sell pdq.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or to put it all another way, selling out of date computers to make money is generally not very lucrative. Most people sell them as a way to get other people to haul them off.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Our Goodwills and thrift stores are all clothes and pots and old records. No electronics and definitely no computers.

Well my sister was trying to help me get a little money for the holidays. I gotta pay property tax and am short too. Putting that off till Feb or so so I can save a few bucks.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:16 pm
Our Goodwills and thrift stores are all clothes and pots and old records. No electronics and definitely no computers.

Well my sister was trying to help me get a little money for the holidays. I gotta pay property tax and am short too. Putting that off till Feb or so so I can save a few bucks.
Have you tried actually asking at your local Goodwill? Because they typically keep PCs and electronics in an entirely separate area or location from the usual clothes, pots n' pans and the like.
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yes..nothing. Last thing pc related they had was about 10 years ago and it was some software. They told me they stopped carrying even that due to employees grabbing it all before the shelves so no point.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hey all. Ok I wanted to toss out some games I could afford and get opinions of if I should purchase. These have been in my list a while. Some seem better than others but still would like ideas.

I can afford only 1 unless something changes tomorrow or I get two of the cheaper ones. I have $25. Had more but that was the other day lol. Ive saved this for Black Friday and/or Cyber Monday all month. Next month I put back more for things. But this is free to spend. I've not gotten me a game in a long time.

Chernobylite - $23.99 This is a maybe. Its right on the edge of price. Actually its too high...but Ill leave it for the info on it. Doubt it but added it. If its like Stalker then yes but if its just a horror game then no .

Mechwarrior 5 is $22. Not bad. Loved all the others...especially 4 and 4 mercs. I replayed both many times. But Ive heard not so great stories on this one and I have played the online a lot so kinda know what it may be like. Also my tastes have changed a bit.

Days Gone - $22.48 .....really been wanting this. Not sure how my old pc can handle it but would like to play it if it can.

ESO Blackwood - $16.60 or so. Has all the DLC. Been wanting to go back to ESO but didn't bother without DLCs and new classes.

Terminator Resistance - $19.99.....been on my list but not sure how good the story is or how repetitive it is. Graphics dont look super but I love the setting and shooters.

Mafia Definitive - $16.42 . Have the other two Definitive games. Finished all 3 games before they upgraded them. Been interested in a replay of 1 & 2 with the new stuff. But Have played them once and the other games would be new experiences to me.

Megaquarium - $12.49. I think this is still a little high to me...id rather pay $5 - $8. But its been on my list a while and I like these types. Again others on this post are more interesting.

Im leaning to Days Gone right now. But Blackwood would give me more gaming in the long run as I quit and go back to ESO all the time. Still would like to hear thoughts on this stuff.

If I do save a few bucks then I can see what Cyber Monday has. Ive found it usually is not as good.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:01 pm But Blackwood would give me more gaming in the long run as I quit and go back to ESO all the time.
if this is your final list, then from what you say here, this sounds like the way to go (tho i don't actually know what an ESO is... EverSpace Online?)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hitbyambulance wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:10 am
Daehawk wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:01 pm But Blackwood would give me more gaming in the long run as I quit and go back to ESO all the time.
if this is your final list, then from what you say here, this sounds like the way to go (tho i don't actually know what an ESO is... EverSpace Online?)
Man Id love Everspace 2 lol..but no its Elder Scrolls Online.

Everspace 2 and the ME Legendary are not on much sale..too big and too new I suppose.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A cool old fine art print I saw online that I never knew existed!

click to make huge.

Death Knights of Krynn
Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's actually called Lord Soth's Charge. Painted by Keith Parkinson. When it comes to old-school D&D artists, I always liked his work. Not as much a Larry Elmore's, but more than Clyde Caldwell's (who had three things - gems, disks, and etched metal - that he absolutely saturated every painting with.) Once you get away from D&D, Michael Whelan is probably my favorite fantasy artist.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have relatively few games that have lots of hours in them. Steam is always asking me to review games. So most of the games I have if I were to review them would be "it's okay but something better came a long."
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

When they say that a game requires a mouse, I didn't think this is what they meant:
A neuroscience engineer has taught rats to play a modified version of the shooter Doom. And he has also named them after three of the original game’s primary creators; John Romero, John Carmack, and Tom Hall.

"I built a VR setup for rodents from scratch and trained three rats in an automated fashion, without manual intervention, to traverse a corridor rendered in the DOOM II engine," wrote Viktor Tóth, in a blog post. "Although I did implement the mechanisms to further train rats to shoot monsters in-game, I lacked the time to actually reinforce the behavior."
https://interestingengineering.com/vide ... m-vr-setup
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Freaking awesome! With a name like Viktor Tóth it sounds like he belongs in Wheel of Time.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bionic Commando (2009) just doesn't hold up well when you've played three Just Cause games to completion. Even if Steve Blum is you narrator for the trip.
It's almost as if people are the problem.