[Solved] Win 10 Shell/Apps Slow, Hanging Since Changing Page File

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sudy

[Solved] Win 10 Shell/Apps Slow, Hanging Since Changing Page File

Post by Sudy »

Edit: Solved, kinda. I just did a system reset. Pain in the neck, but I'm getting too old for this shit. Better than having to do a full reinstall or troubleshooting all day I suppose. Figured I may as well leave the thread here so that someone can skim it and solve the issue in one second. ;)

I'm at the troubleshooting stage where I can go down some rabbit holes on Google but I don't know where to start.

- Win 10 Home
- i7-7700K @ 4.2GHz
- 16GB RAM
- GTX 1070

I've got a 256 GB SSD. I can usually only fit one main AAA game on the drive at a time. I've been playing New World. I thought to myself, I want to try Conqueror's Blade. What can I move/delete so that I can run both from the SSD? So I moved the Dropbox folder. And while browsing WinDirSat I noticed the page file was over 25GB. Thinking that seemed like a lot, I googled it and discovered it's actually within accepted parameters, but did change the min/max values from automatic to smaller accepted values.

After a reboot, the Windows shell and various programs were slow to load and would occasionally pause. Spotify would hang for 20 seconds. Steam and Battle.net took forever to start, and Hearthstone would run fine for a couple minutes before hanging for 20 seconds in a match. Task Manager wasn't showing unusual CPU/Memory/Disk usage. So, I reverted the page file to automatic, and also tried a larger assigned size. I deleted Conqueror's Blade and tried running with 50 free GB on the SSD. I attempted to use a system restore point, but upon rebooting I got the error that it didn't work due to failing to "extract the original copy of AppxStaging", 0x80070037.

I considered biting the bullet and upgrading to Windows 11 (a stupid reason; due to laziness), but my CPU isn't on the supported list. I'm loathe to reinstall Windows 10 in general, but specifically because I don't know where the license code is, and I had to, say, "sever my relationship" with Dell beyond my control due to a personal financial issue a few years ago, so I don't know if any support would be available.

I'm still working through various troubleshooting possibilities, but does this sound familiar to anyone per chance?
Last edited by Sudy on Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Re: Win 10 Shell/Apps Slow, Hanging Since Changing Page File

Post by Sudy »

I don't know much about the AppX process but it definitely seems to be related to the issue. I tried this, but get a bunch of errors:
Type the following in a Windows PowerShell as Administrator:

1.Launch PowerShell
2.Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted
3.Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

It's just as if some things are massively delayed. Like my monitors/video connection usually blink off and on a few seconds after I log in to Windows. This is still happening, but after 2 or 3 minutes. I can load Discord and Chrome and be typing away on this post, but Steam is still trying to connect and Battle.net will load, but Hearthstone's nowhere to be seen.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Sudy

Re: [Solved] Win 10 Shell/Apps Slow, Hanging Since Changing Page File

Post by Sudy »

I did a system reset. Disregard!