Fundraising complete, next renewal is August 2022. Paypal Donation Links US dollars CDN Dollars

[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Fardaza

Re: [Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by Fardaza »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:30 am Another preview of the Army Painter's version of Contrast Paints. This is the first I've heard the price mentioned - about 50% cheaper than Contrast - which is kind of important.

I stumbled into this video earlier today before I saw your post. It's exactly why I'm waiting until early next year to get heavier into mini painting. My FLGS says February for the Speed Paints.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Those look so much like Hot Wheels that it is ridiculous. NICELY DONE!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Fardaza wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:55 pm I stumbled into this video earlier today before I saw your post. It's exactly why I'm waiting until early next year to get heavier into mini painting. My FLGS says February for the Speed Paints.
The one thing she mentioned that I'd never heard of before was adding glaze medium to some of the GW Contrast paints (the thicker ones) to help with their flow. I might actually give it a try. But yeah, I'm definitely interested in this Army Painter stuff as well. The contrast paints that work great, are fantastic, But as noted earlier, some of them seem really wonky in application.
I'm so far off the map the sun is shining
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Zombicide 2E Core set figures complete. Also have 4 walkers and 4 fatties done, but I'll save those for a mass zombie pic.

Black Lives Matter, LGBTQ+ Ally
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:31 pm Army Painter finally releasing something to compete with the GW Contrast Paints. I really like Army Painter and had been using them pretty much exclusively. And while I like Contrast Paints, I do agree with his observation in this video that there are definitely inconsistencies in the paints - some work really great, others I've questioned the paint (did I mix it enough?) or the mini (is it primed correctly? Is it not textured enough?) enough to consider these:

While I doubt it's the "death of contrast paints", it would be nice to have more competition and choices.
I just saw the AP Speedpaint starter set in a distributor catalog: $45 for a set of 10 colors. That's quite a bit cheaper than Contrast paints.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, the prices do look great. I saw my "local" online store selling a set, allegedly shipping in February.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, the prices do look great. I saw my "local" online store selling a set, allegedly shipping in February.
I’ve placed an order for the full set at my FLGS.
"Women are naturally secretive, and they like to do their own secreting." - Sherlock Holmes, A Scandal in Bohemia
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Army Painter's website says to pre-order your sets through your FLGS. My local (40 miles away) store says they're not taking pre-orders because their distributor hasn't told them they can. :x

Hmm...Maybe I should check with the stores that are about 55 miles away.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Might I humbly suggest Atomic Empire? I have used them in the past and would recommend.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fardaza wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:06 am Army Painter's website says to pre-order your sets through your FLGS.
I love when companies assume that everybody lives near a physical store. Some game publishers go so far as to limit online sales to promote local stores.

My nearest 'FLGS' is a 120 mile round trip. The nearest store that actually has a painting selection is well over 200.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think in this day and age, the “local” in FLGS doesn’t really mean physically close anymore. You can preorder the paint set from just about any store with an online presence, I’m betting.
I beat a camel to death with a monkey. Can I do that?
-Mr Bismarck

You have to whack a few rabbits before you are ready to punch a camel.
-Coopasonic
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:18 am I think in this day and age, the “local” in FLGS doesn’t really mean physically close anymore. You can preorder the paint set from just about any store with an online presence, I’m betting.
No doubt (unlike the aforementioned publisher's games.) I was just blowing off steam - when you live in the middle of nowhere without any real access, you start to notice just how much companies are built around the assumption that their customers are urban. Internet retail does make it easier, but after a while it still starts to get really frustrating - there's a really good chance that any time you see or hear about something cool, you're going to be excluded, or have to jump through hoops. My favorites are when I see a trailer and get excited, then hear, "Coming to select theaters." Or a commercial includes, "Available in some locations."

So I vent. There isn't much else I can do.

Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

On the plus side though, it’s probably pretty relaxing in the Outback!
-Mr Bismarck

-Coopasonic
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:07 am On the plus side though, it’s probably pretty relaxing in the Outback!
Everything here is venomous. By which I mean the stupid people.

Black Lives Matter
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:14 am Might I humbly suggest Atomic Empire? I have used them in the past and would recommend.
Their brick and mortar store is about 10 minutes away from me and I second this - they are fantastic all around.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

hepcat wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:07 am On the plus side though, it’s probably pretty relaxing in the Outback!
It is very relaxing and peaceful around here! Beats the heck out of southern California.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

In progress…

"Women are naturally secretive, and they like to do their own secreting." - Sherlock Holmes, A Scandal in Bohemia
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I’m back to hating my airbrush again.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Clogging?

Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Blackhawk wrote:Clogging?
Yeah. Terribly. I’m going to try soaking all of the parts in some Simple Green. See if that does the trick.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If you aren't, make sure you are running a brush soaked in alcohol (or whatever cleaner) through the body of it, too.

Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hentzau wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:08 am
Blackhawk wrote:Clogging?
Yeah. Terribly. I’m going to try soaking all of the parts in some Simple Green. See if that does the trick.
Have you soaked your parts in 90% alcohol? That is what I use at the end of several session or one long session. It works like a charm. Anything less than 90% doesn't cut it, in my opinion.

Also, invest in some Golden Airbrush medium. After getting that, I haven't had nearly the same amount of clogging as I did.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I had several good sessions in a row where I would be doing really well with the airbrush. Simple stuff, using vallejo model air paints, but after a couple of sessions I needed to break down the airbrush and clean it out. Next session I had nothing but troubles, broke it down, cleaned it again. Tried again, worked kind of sporadically until it finally stopped working.

I've been thinning my normal paints using Liquitex airbrush medium, but I guess I'm still not getting it thinned down enough. I'm also nervous every time I do a complete break down of the airbrush, because I've broken off the tip before and trashed an airbrush that way.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I generally run alcohol (90%) through it after every color, then break it down for a full cleaning after each session. The times I've suddenly started having problems with clogging or weird spray was always a cleaning problem, usually paint stuck in one of the nozzles (my nozzle has three parts) that I missed), or paint stuck on the needle.

Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

[Miniatures] Painting tips and progress reports (with pics!)

Post by baelthazar »

I finished my Final Girl killers and I am very happy with the results. These are a smaller scale than I am used to with Shadows of Brimstone, so they were faster but also challenged my brush control. Hans and Dr. Fright were largely Zenithal shading and contrast paints, Inkanyamba and Gepetto were total brush, and the Poltergeist was mostly airbrush with brush detailing.

Now on to the heroines.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm getting perfectionist's block again, bad. I don't want to paint if I don't think I'll get it right, so I don't paint. At all.

I'm tempted to just pick a game with lots of minis, skip most of the mold line removeal, and paint the entire thing with just contrast paints. Just to teach myself a lesson about the difference between getting it done right and not getting anything done at all.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why not post some of your pics in here BH?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:12 pm Why not post some of your pics in here BH?
I have. Dozens of 'em. I just haven't painted much in the past year. And by 'much', I mean 'at all.' I haven't touched a brush since at least April or May, probably earlier. My last post was last December.

Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Steam launch just about finished. Need to add some rust and weathering.

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Blackhawk wrote:I'm getting perfectionist's block again, bad. I don't want to paint if I don't think I'll get it right, so I don't paint. At all.

I'm tempted to just pick a game with lots of minis, skip most of the mold line removeal, and paint the entire thing with just contrast paints. Just to teach myself a lesson about the difference between getting it done right and not getting anything done at all.
If you look at my Hans (pig guy) and Dr. Fright (pitchfork), they were 90% contrast paint with minor detailing by regular brush technique. Almost no drybrushing, no shader/Nuln oil needed. I added some TurboDork shiny/color shift paint to Dr. Fright to give him a “dreamlike” look. They took about 1 - 1.5 hours each.

Gepetto (tophat) and Inkayamba (mask) took longer - about 5 hours total. Yes, I think they look better and both are more complicated. But they don’t look that much better than the contrast ones.

Pick a game with smaller minis. They go faster.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My normal is about 6+ hours per mini.

Black Lives Matter
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Blackhawk wrote:My normal is about 6+ hours per mini.
Before contrast paint and my airbrush, I was probably close to that. Also, I got a little burned out on Shadows of Brimstone minis, since they are larger.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

And my paddle wheeler…

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Very well done!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Purchased new brushes. I’m going to give paining another go on some board game minis for descent, middara and a few others, dagnabit. Hopefully this time I don’t run out of steam after a half dozen or so.
-Mr Bismarck

-Coopasonic