Wartales from Shiro

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Formix

Wartales from Shiro

Post by Formix »

Anyone else keeping an eye on this one? Open world RPG with turn-based strategy is absolutely my jam, and the reviews are positive, but it's still early access, so . . . hmmm. Shiro did a good job with Northgard, so I'm hopeful.
Archinerd

Re: Wartales from Shiro

Post by Archinerd »

Definitely keeping an eye on it, but I'm tyring (and mostly succeeding) at not buying every early access game I'm interested in.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Yep, I am very interested, but it's in EA and very far from final release so and I am just watch and wait right now to see if it pans out.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This is out of early access, but a quick search on youtube didn't show reviews from any of my usuals. I'm hesitant based on that alone. Metacritic only shows one review. That just seems odd.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Will probably get this at a steep discount. ATM I'm waiting for Jedi:Survivor and Live A Live.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

That review (and the 25% discount) almost has me pulling the trigger on buying it....Hmmm....
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

PC Gamer weighs in with a score of 83: Wartales Review: The Mercenary Life Isn't Flashy But It Is Rewarding
Turn a bunch of generic mercenaries into your absolute best buds.
Don't be fooled by its drab exterior, Wartales is a deep and richly rewarding exercise in party creation.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

OO effect (plus 25% discount) got me. Downloading now.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 11:16 pm OO effect (plus 25% discount) got me. Downloading now.
Looking forward to hearing your impressions. If I wasn't already juggling too many games for my current available free time, I think I'd have bought this already.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

First impressions:

Navigating the world is tense as there is danger around every corner.

Combat is challenging but fair.

Money can be acquired through doing posted missions.

Managing food and medicine is irritating, even on "Novice," and you are required to camp too often.

Weapons and armor are scarce.

You can knock out animals (boars) and they will fight for you. Knocked out humans become prisoners. I have yet to turn one in, but if the reward is paltry you might as well kill them.

There is permadeath, but you can hire replacements. I prefer to reload.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:02 am This is out of early access, but a quick search on youtube didn't show reviews from any of my usuals. I'm hesitant based on that alone. Metacritic only shows one review. That just seems odd.
I haven't watched it yet, but here's a review.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've got about 3 hours in and I don't hate it, but I also far from love it. It is just so drab. Combat appears to be getting more interesting as I level up. It does have separate difficulty for the "maintenance" aspect of the game so you can make feeding your crew less of a burden if that doesn't interest you. I appreciate that. I watched the review GreenGoo posted above and it spoiled some stuff (don't think it's a big deal, so no worries) for me that makes it sounds like the game will get more interesting later. Based on that I will keep going.

I need to add more people to my crew, so many specialties needed to make camp life efficient! But then I have to pay and feed them. Damn this world!!!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:15 am Weapons and armor are scarce.
Review said most equipment is best crafted rather than gained from quests or combat.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm about 2 hours in but I think I'm going to restart in order to take advantage of some things I've learned.

I also need to figure out why I keep taking the actual bodies of my dead opponents with me after every fight. I'm sure there's a reason they let me do it, but I haven't discovered it yet. I do know they have a skill for cannibalism, so maybe that's what I should be looking at. End a fight, gnosh on a bandit's foot.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:18 pm I do know they have a skill for cannibalism, so maybe that's what I should be looking at.
Pretty sure that's it. Otherwise, check and see what the corpses sell for? I never took any personally.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I had to do some QOL cheats for no fatigue and increased game speed. I did manage to defeat a couple of elite bosses (fortunately they had no minions) for unique weapons.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:52 pm I've got about 3 hours in and I don't hate it, but I also far from love it.
Same reaction here. Lots of little annoyances like like unit pathing. Nothing has stuck out so far as especially interesting, but tactical combat is reasonably good.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I kind of like it. The professions seem interesting, and I like the fight mechanics for the most part. The positioning is good, and I like being able to knock out bandits and turn them over to the constabulary for money. Having attacks of opportunity only against a unit that has engaged you in combat is also interesting. I've not played much, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:08 pm I had to do some QOL cheats for no fatigue and increased game speed. I did manage to defeat a couple of elite bosses (fortunately they had no minions) for unique weapons.
No fatigue is a whole lot more than a QOL tweak. Wouldn't it remove the whole concept of food as well as paying your mercenaries? I mean, more power to you if that's what you find fun!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

gbasden wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:15 pm
Jaymann wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:08 pm I had to do some QOL cheats for no fatigue and increased game speed. I did manage to defeat a couple of elite bosses (fortunately they had no minions) for unique weapons.
No fatigue is a whole lot more than a QOL tweak. Wouldn't it remove the whole concept of food as well as paying your mercenaries? I mean, more power to you if that's what you find fun!
Yeah, I played the camping sim long enough to realize it was not for me. I can still camp and pay my mercs when I feel like it, but it's not nagging me every two minutes. It's a game changer for sure, but that's the game I want to play. Otherwise I would probably get frustrated and quit.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:52 pm I watched the review GreenGoo posted above and it spoiled some stuff (don't think it's a big deal, so no worries) for me that makes it sounds like the game will get more interesting later. Based on that I will keep going.
Sorry about that.

In my defense, the review states that it comes after 100%'ing the game. :D

Ok, not a defense. Again, sorry.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Now available on Xbox Game Pass. My hesitancy on purchasing through Steam has paid off so I can now give the game a more than 2 hour run through.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I tried this on the Series X. It very much seemed like a PC game ported to console. It wasn't my jam and I bounced after about an hour.
FTE
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I've been playing the pc version off and on. I think it starts off really good, then starts to get a bit too repetitive... but I'm still weirdly addicted because I'm over 70hrs playtime now. I know part of the appeal for me is that I can play it while getting caught up on podcasts.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

I just started it a bit and then got into the first battle. After that I go into a village/shop where you can buy horses but I don't understand if I need to buy or not.

There doesn't seem to be any tutorial at all?

Is the game just like that, moving around fighting enemies then go into a shop to buy something?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:30 pm I just started it a bit and then got into the first battle. After that I go into a village/shop where you can buy horses but I don't understand if I need to buy or not.

Is the game just like that, moving around fighting enemies then go into a shop to buy something?
Pretty much. I bought a horse, but then he died in battle. After that I only let them be pack horses.

One unique characteristic of this game is that it pretty much forces you to craft EVERYTHING. Food. Amor. Weapons. Fish hooks. Lock picks. Just about anything you need. The battle drops are sparse and the vendor stuff is the usual trash.

Around level 5 make sure you are entering the patches of white clouds and battling ghost animals. Their drops craft into the best weapons and armor.

Currently I have 8 fighters and 2 horses. I sometimes capture an Alpha wolf to fight with me, but they die pretty quick.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:30 pm I just started it a bit and then got into the first battle. After that I go into a village/shop where you can buy horses but I don't understand if I need to buy or not.

I think you start with 1 horse, that's probably enough for now, they just allow you to carry more stuff. Don't use them to fight, they suck at it. Also don't make them Captain, your mercs won't be happy to work for a horse.

The game is mostly get contracts (at taverns), go fight stuff, turn in contracts, craft stuff, fight stuff, do mini professions, fight stuff, find story missions, fight stuff, get contracts, and go fight stuff.
Exploring ruins is the weirdest thing, since it almost feels like a completely different game slotted in. I kind of like that, it's charmingly odd and it kind of feels like a throwback to the olden times of pc games.

Whenever you go into a location, be sure to drag the mouse around the screen and look for secrets. You'll find crafting components, locked chests, etc.