Firefly might be rebooted by Disney+

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Skinypupy

Firefly might be rebooted by Disney+

Post by Skinypupy »

Not really sure how I feel about this. Very vague on any details, but it looks like something could be in the works. Or maybe it's just clickbait.

Firefly seems like a show that captured lightning in a bottle at a certain point in time, and would be perfectly fine if it were left as-is. Not sure they'd be able to replicate that.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Re: Firefly being rebooted by Disney+

Post by Isgrimnur »

I will certainly line up to give it a look. As long as it’s not StarWars level mess, I have no issues returning to their universe.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Sudy

Re: Firefly might be rebooted by Disney+

Post by Sudy »

Despite its rabid cult following, due to its limited amount of content I think it has less of a legacy to protect than Star Wars or even Babylon 5. (Beyond Whedon's writing style.) But do they really mean "reboot"? If so, we really need to stop rebooting everything. Like I know we said that 15 years ago, but it's really getting nuts. And if it's not a reboot, we need to start using the correct terms. But I guess something new in the same universe could broadly be considered a reboot....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The olde crew is too olde to be playing their original roles.
So who they pick to take their places is pretty important.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:21 am The olde crew is too olde to be playing their original roles.
So who they pick to take their places is pretty important.
The old crew is perfect if they pick up 20 years later. And that would be fine, and it would be fine if they did a spin-off (same universe) or a sequel (partial crew, dealing with the fallout of the events in the film, ala Picard.)
But new people to take their places? No thanks. I'm not interested in a clever, trendy Malcolm Reynolds, or a social commentary Inara.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Well, to be fair: you can’t stop the signal.

But personally, I’m pretty reserved with my enthusiasm here.
I absolutely Loved this show, it may be something I’m not happy with being revisited by other talents.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, I dunno. Whedon's not going to be involved. I assume most of the original cast won't be in the regular cast for this (also depending in part on whether it's a true reboot or a new show in the same universe). It could be good, but I don't see all that much reason to think this will be better than any other proposed new sci fi series.
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

If they try and shove one of the old crew into it, it will bother me, I think.

And without the crew, well, to me that was the entire show.
And of course the Whedon magic was absolutely at play... and now wouldn’t be.

I think I’d rather this one was just not touched... but yeah. You can’t stop the signal.
Exodor

Re: Firefly being rebooted by Disney+

Post by Exodor »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:41 am I will certainly line up to give it a look. As long as it’s not StarWars level mess, I have no issues returning to their universe.
To be fair, the Disney+ Star Wars series have been far superior to the Disney-produced Star Wars movies. Maybe there's hope for a Disney+ Firefly?
naednek

Post by naednek »

I think it's a little too late. I doubt they will be able to get the original cast as many are already in their own shows. Recasting wouldn't feel the same. Having different characters in the same universe doesn't really excite me.

I say leave it alone. It's too late.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Summer Glau (and surprisingly Jewel Straite) is 40. Ron (Mr.) Glass checked out in 2016.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I have an idea...let Disney+ buy the rights to the show, and SHOW THE DAMN THING IN THE CORRECT ORDER. Then connect Serenity at the end of the series, and call it a wrap.

You want to play in the Firefly 'verse? Fine, have a series that deals with the aftermath of some of the episodes. For example, what happened to Janestown after the "heroes" left? After the duel over Inara, what is the fallout of her and Mal's actions? Etc.

To quote a giant Samoan man, "Your welcome, Disney+."
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm having a hard time thinking about a Firefly universe show that takes place in that universe after ~20 years have passed since the movie. I mean, I guess it's possible and in theory you could have the original actors reprising their roles, but in terms of the story that could be told? I'm not so sure there.

So that leaves two options. Either having members of the old cast "handing off" the show to a new set of actors to tell a different story or they completely reboot the series, recast the actors and tell a new version.

I think I'd rather see the show handed off in some way that completely ignoring the original. And I'd watch the hell out of the original cast reprising their roles in some capacity, even if it's just limited drop-ins like they did sometimes for various Star Trek shows if they somehow figure out a way to continue the Firefly universe after the movie's timeline.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:47 pm I'm having a hard time thinking about a Firefly universe show that takes place in that universe after ~20 years have passed since the movie. I mean, I guess it's possible and in theory you could have the original actors reprising their roles, but in terms of the story that could be told? I'm not so sure there.

So that leaves two options. Either having members of the old cast "handing off" the show to a new set of actors to tell a different story or they completely reboot the series, recast the actors and tell a new version.

I think I'd rather see the show handed off in some way that completely ignoring the original. And I'd watch the hell out of the original cast reprising their roles in some capacity, even if it's just limited drop-ins like they did sometimes for various Star Trek shows if they somehow figure out a way to continue the Firefly universe after the movie's timeline.
Yep. Or even better, recast them as their earlier selves and tell the story of how they got together. They have hinted and exposited over it, but to have a series set during the Unification War would be kinda interesting. Maybe?

**Edited to say a series on Shepard and his backstory would be awesome. Verify that he was, in fact, an operative, and what caused his disillusion with the Alliance powers that be. (I'm assuming I don't need spoilers on that?)
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hyena wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:39 pm You want to play in the Firefly 'verse? Fine, have a series that deals with the aftermath of some of the episodes. For example, what happened to Janestown after the "heroes" left? After the duel over Inara, what is the fallout of her and Mal's actions? Etc.
Hyena wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:52 pm Or even better, recast them as their earlier selves and tell the story of how they got together. They have hinted and exposited over it, but to have a series set during the Unification War would be kinda interesting. Maybe?

**Edited to say a series on Shepard and his backstory would be awesome. Verify that he was, in fact, an operative, and what caused his disillusion with the Alliance powers that be. (I'm assuming I don't need spoilers on that?)
Newsletter, subscribe, etc.

Book's story is the one that I've always wanted to hear more about. "I wasn't always a preacher, Mal."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

FWIW, the (real-world) gap between the end of Firefly and today is the same as between the end of Star Trek and the launch of TNG. I do think they could jump ahead and show the impact of the end of Serenity with a fresh slate.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sudy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:42 am Despite its rabid cult following, due to its limited amount of content I think it has less of a legacy to protect than Star Wars or even Babylon 5.
Agreed. And while I did end up watching it eventually, I didn't think it was THAT good. Certainly not good enough to keep wanting to revisit it.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Whatever they do I'll check it out. The Mandalorian didn't sound like a particularly interesting prospect to me either, so I'm willing to give pretty much anything they do a chance... and hey I'm subbed for 3 years, get on it guys!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:01 pm Book's story is the one that I've always wanted to hear more about. "I wasn't always a preacher, Mal."
His backstory was explored in one of the graphic novels. It was not what anybody was expecting and was a considerable let down.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Brian wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:58 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:01 pm Book's story is the one that I've always wanted to hear more about. "I wasn't always a preacher, Mal."
His backstory was explored in one of the graphic novels. It was not what anybody was expecting and was a considerable let down.
Yep...but retcon that shit!

*oops...sorry Book*

Yep...but retcon that stuff!

Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I dooooont think I'm comfortable with this, at all. Firefly was all about the fans, and they were the reason that this show did well. Disney seems to want to reboot the series, but on their terms, which is kinda ignoring what made the original so great in the first place. So. Meh. Out.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Well, that's disappointing. Suppose I'll have to look that up at some point to see what happened.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:03 pm
Well, that's disappointing. Suppose I'll have to look that up at some point to see what happened.
Don't...you'll be disappointed. Just allow the mystery to build and germinate in your mind; it'll be better then what they did.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Hyena wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:39 pm I have an idea...let Disney+ buy the rights to the show,
Disney bought Fox. They already have the rights contracted out seven ways to Sunday.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Hyena wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:30 pm
Don't...you'll be disappointed. Just allow the mystery to build and germinate in your mind; it'll be better then what they did.
Against my better judgement, I checked the Wikipedia version.

Yeah...that's pretty lame.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I looked it up too. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:44 pm
Hyena wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:30 pm
Against my better judgement, I checked the Wikipedia version.

Yeah...that's pretty lame.
I don't want to look it up, could we get a brief spoiler?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

He was a rabbi.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Doesn't a Rabbi preach?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Lame, right ?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Unagi wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:03 pmLame, right ?
The whole premise was kind of lame. Who the hell would voluntarily go into space with the equivalent of a beater 1972 station wagon? That civilization would somehow resemble the 1880's was absurd, it was only Whedon's story telling and a decent cast that made it worth the effort, but not enough people could overlook the silliness to make it stick. This is the trap that awaits a reboot -- how do you maintain the suspension of disbelief? The best sci fi does this, but careless attention to this detail will result in a tepid Butch Cassidy in space.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Mandalorian is also doing a pretty good spaghetti-sci-fi.

But I’d push back and point out that steampunk has done a good job blazing a trail for the freedoms taken in Firefly.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'm wary of a reboot, but if they do it, the most interesting setting might be before rather than after the original series.

Set things during the war between the Browncoats and the Alliance, and you have all kinds of new story opportunities beyond a gang of morally dubious adventurers trying to stay ahead of the law.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:19 pm I don't want to look it up, could we get a brief spoiler?
Spoiler:
He was a master thief, an Independence spy and assassin, then a mole in the Alliance, then a torturer for the Alliance, then ended up homeless and found religion.

Link
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:48 pm
The whole premise was kind of lame. Who the hell would voluntarily go into space with the equivalent of a beater 1972 station wagon? That civilization would somehow resemble the 1880's was absurd, it was only Whedon's story telling and a decent cast that made it worth the effort, but not enough people could overlook the silliness to make it stick. This is the trap that awaits a reboot -- how do you maintain the suspension of disbelief? The best sci fi does this, but careless attention to this detail will result in a tepid Butch Cassidy in space.
Huh. While I really enjoyed the series (and maybe the movie even more), you seem to have pointed to something that always bothered me a bit about the whole thing (not as much as it did you). Related to that, the opening music always made me cringe. :p

Had I not read the rave reviews here about the show, I probably would have seen the intro with its garbage song, thought ‘WTF?! Six shooters in space?’ and quickly moved on to something else.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

You're right about the theme song. I didn't watch the show when it first came out, and would have noped right past that. But it all came out in the wash.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:07 am You're right about the theme song. I didn't watch the show when it first came out, and would have noped right past that. But it all came out in the wash.
:cry: :cry: :lol:
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Jeff V wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:48 pm
And old spaceship wasn't the equivalent of a station wagon. And surely it can't be surprising that on the frontier, every spaceship wouldn't be a brand spanking new star cruiser. It was a working class ship, not a luxury ship. It would haul freight and cargo and the crew, maybe a passenger or two from place to place for the most part. And uh, no, civilization as a whole did NOT resemble the 1880's. There were many worlds that were quite advanced as seen in several shows. But it was the frontier worlds that were less developed, were rough and tumble, that resembled - in some ways - the American West. And that was the place a former rebel could make a living doing certain less than legal things. Seriously, if this is a bad take, then what about Han Solo and Tantooine and Star Wars?

Your take is terribly inaccurate.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Holman

Post by Holman »

The show was apparently born out of Whedon's college-age TRAVELLER campaign.

Even if you're using a home-brew universe, the rules there really lend themselves to a setting where different settled planets enjoy widely different tech levels and access to resources.

(And the Serenity is pretty clearly a classic TRAVELLER Free Trader...)
Last edited by Holman on Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.