The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kurth wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:32 pm That guy sounds like a dolt, but that’s a really, really stupid question: “Yes or no, do vaccines work when fighting a pandemic?”

WTF? What vaccine? What pandemic? In which patient groups?

That’s a stupid question from a stupid politician.
It's pretty clearly seeking a generalization.

Another similarly stupid question:
"Do brakes work to stop a car?"

"What brakes? Which car? What are the road conditions?”

And she did specifically mentions COVID 19. "Do the vaccines work against, preventing COVID 19?" It's not the best question but I wouldn't call it "really, really stupid". Everyone knows what she's getting at. His hemming and hawing was idiotic.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:42 pmAnd she did specifically mentions COVID 19. "Do the vaccines work against, preventing COVID 19?" It's not the best question but I wouldn't call it "really, really stupid". Everyone knows what she's getting at. His hemming and hawing was idiotic.
This is where I'm at. I mean this wasn't a question asked in a void of context. Vaccine hesitancy and vaccine misinformation have been debated for a year. It's pretty clear what she was asking and the response was why she asked it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Something something magnets.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm sure his degree in construction management has prepared him well for this moment.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:33 am I have to wonder if Pfizer/Moderna should be considering suing Foxnews like the Dominion did.
Didn't some FOX persona successfully argue that they are an entertainment program that no reasonable person would believe? Surely Carlson could use the same defense.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:28 am
Neil Young Demands Spotify Remove His Music Over ‘False Information About Vaccines’

“They can have [Joe] Rogan or Young,” Neil Young wrote in a letter to his manager and label. “Not both”
Not sure if he can actually do that what with licensing and all, but good on him.
Spotify seems OK with him leaving their platform.

Spotify says it will remove Neil Young’s music instead of dropping Joe Rogan
With Neil Young having told Spotify that it can keep him or podcaster Joe Rogan but not both, the streaming company today said it will remove Young's catalog of music.

"We want all the world's music and audio content to be available to Spotify users," Spotify said in a statement to Deadline and other media organizations. "With that comes great responsibility in balancing both safety for listeners and freedom for creators. We have detailed content policies in place, and we've removed over 20,000 podcast episodes related to COVID since the start of the pandemic. We regret Neil's decision to remove his music from Spotify but hope to welcome him back soon."

Young's music was still on Spotify as of this writing but will presumably be removed soon unless either Young or Spotify change their minds. Objecting to misinformation about COVID aired on Rogan's podcast, Young told Warner Records this week that Spotify "has a responsibility to mitigate the spread of misinformation on its platform."

"I want you to let Spotify know immediately TODAY that I want all my music off their platform," Young wrote. "They can have Rogan or Young. Not both."
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:19 pm
malchior wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:33 am I have to wonder if Pfizer/Moderna should be considering suing Foxnews like the Dominion did.
Didn't some FOX persona successfully argue that they are an entertainment program that no reasonable person would believe? Surely Carlson could use the same defense.
That FOX persona was (checks notes) Tucker Carlson.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Defiant wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:50 am
Kraken wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:19 pm
That FOX persona was (checks notes) Tucker Carlson.
:lol: Well there you go then. Clowns are unsuable.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kurth wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:32 pm That guy sounds like a dolt, but that’s a really, really stupid question: “Yes or no, do vaccines work when fighting a pandemic?”

I have no clue what you are finding annoying.

The woman asked a simple question that the man squirmed not to answer.
The question was simple and quite obvious what she meant… his pretending to not have an answer was the only joke there.

I have no issue with that woman’s question. The “answer” she got was probably quite revealing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:07 pm She's in New York for some lawsuit or other and dined at Elio's. NYC has a vaccine mandate for dining. Either Elio's wasn't checking, in violation of city ordinance or Palin presented false proof of vaccination which I believe is a federal crime.

Edit: Smoove beat me to it and added the 3rd, and very possible option.
Quarantine? What's that?
Sarah Palin returned to Elio’s restaurant on Manhattan’s Upper East Side Wednesday night — just two days after testing positive for Covid-19.

As seen in photos obtained by Mediaite, the former Alaska governor, who is unvaccinated, dined at the establishment in a heated outdoor area on Wednesday. She dined at the same eatery on Saturday, but indoors, in violation of New York City’s dining vaccine mandate. The city requires restaurants to verify the vaccination status of its customers for indoor dining.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

To be fair, are we sure that's not Tina Fey in those photos?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We are a restaurant open to the public, and we treat all civilians the same.
Civilians? Weird thing to say. Most restaurants would call them customers.

So do they treat military differently? Are cops still considered civilians?
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:43 am

I have no clue what you are finding annoying.

The woman asked a simple question that the man squirmed not to answer.
The question was simple and quite obvious what she meant… his pretending to not have an answer was the only joke there.

I have no issue with that woman’s question. The “answer” she got was probably quite revealing.
What I find annoying is the question is way too simple. It's not serious.

I get that we all want to be on a team, whether it's the Democrat-sponsored "follow the science team" or the Republican-sponsored "liberty and freedom team."

I just think that kind of treatment of this issue (and most others) does us all a disservice.

And I don't see a point to such a basic, over-generalized question like this one except to force someone to pick teams. Which I think is pretty stupid, too, because we already know what team this dolt is on.

I'll go back to yelling at clouds now.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kurth wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:30 am

I get that we all want to be on a team, whether it's the Democrat-sponsored "follow the science team" or the Republican-sponsored "liberty and freedom team."

I just think that kind of treatment of this issue (and most others) does us all a disservice.

And I don't see a point to such a basic, over-generalized question like this one except to force someone to pick teams. Which I think is pretty stupid, too, because we already know what team this dolt is on.

It's a confirmation hearing. That is exactly what they are for in large part. To verify and get on public record exactly what "team" someone is on and how much team allegiance will guide them in their job.

Your complaint should be directed at confirmation hearings, not an individual question being asked at one.

And an artful scientist could thread the needle pretty well on that question. That man was not an artful scientist (additional data points achieved by "stupid" question!).

MYT
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:36 am
Kurth wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:30 am

It's a confirmation hearing. That is exactly what they are for in large part. To verify and get on public record exactly what "team" someone is on and how much team allegiance will guide them in their job.

Your complaint should be directed at confirmation hearings, not an individual question being asked at one.
Ok, then. Down with confirmation hearings!
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

It's interesting falling down a right wing DC area twitter hole today where some decently known people are calling the DC government fascist for their new vaccine requirements to enter bars/restaurants.

Apparently any government action anyone disagrees with on either side of the aisle these days can be considered, rightly or wrongly, fascist.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:36 amAnd an artful scientist could thread the needle pretty well on that question. That man was not an artful scientist (additional data points achieved by "stupid" question!).
I'd also argue it exposes how unprepared he was. He was applying for the position of Surgeon General and wasn't prepared to answer a question about vaccines? I mean it's Florida. It didn't need to be a great response. He probably could have gotten away with yelling, "Blake Bortles!" like Jason Mendoza but instead he just babbled. Another point for the stupid question.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I can't defeat this. No one in my field can.

Sherri Tenpenny, one of the right's leading anti-vaccine "experts," claims that COVID vaccines are creating "quantum entanglement" between those who take them and "the Google credit scores and the dematrix and all of those things."
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yup you just throw up your hands. Quantum entanglement?!? How stupid do you have to be to listen to this smooth brain nonsense.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:05 pm Yup you just throw up your hands. Quantum entanglement?!? How stupid do you have to be to listen to this smooth brain nonsense.
Very. But apparently getting these morons to listen to her pays well:
In March, the Center for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH) named Tenpenny among 12 anti-vaxxers responsible for spreading 65% of all false information about vaccines, dubbing them the "Disinformation Dozen."

In a June 2021 report on the Disinformation Dozen, titled "Pandemic Profiteers," the CCDH estimated that Tenpenny earned up to $353,925 from a single webinar titled "How Covid-19 Injections Can Make You Sick ... Even Kill You."
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, she's not wrong that a covid-19 injection may kill you. You really need to insist on a covid vaccination injection.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Also, I'm sure I'll regret asking...but what the hell is "dematrix"?
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Who the F knows. She's insane...or crazy like a fox.

In local news, if only there was some way to somehow stop this from happening:
“She was healthy and sitting at home waiting for her 10 day sentence to be over so she could get back to school,” Duggan said. “During her time out of school she missed class lessons, reviews for upcoming exams and her school sports.

“Her other friends who were traced and vaccinated got called down to the nurses office and were able to go right back to their classrooms.”

Duggan said she feels unvaccinated students are being singled out.
Just like we single out all those kids with the measles, diphtheria and the mumps.

To be clear, we should be supporting remote learning options, but when parents that won't vaccinate their kids (that have already vaccinated their kids against other diseases) complain about vaccinating their kids..I can't think straight.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Also, good news for Blackhawk:
Proposed legislation by two Republican members of the Indiana House of Representatives seeks to remove the bureaucratic red tape that that limits doctors and pharmacists from dispensing ivermectin, a drug not approved for the treatment or prevention of COVID-19 by the Food and Drug Administration.

Representative John Jacob is a disciple of freedom, and believes personal choice should extend into the doctor’s office and pharmacy. He told I-Team 8 he took ivermectin when he was diagnosed with COVID-19 last summer. That is one of the reasons he co-authored the bill that blocks state licensing boards from disciplining doctors, pharmacists or nurses who dispense ivermectin as a treatment of COVID-19.

“I think it is very clear that there is a certain slant on information flow. In other words, the medical community, the government, has been censoring and having only certain information come out as being viable treatment,” Jacob said.

Jacob says he has not talked to any doctors about the legislation.
Looking forward to having him advance legislation later this summer to address the four humors !
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:05 pm Yup you just throw up your hands. Quantum entanglement?!? How stupid do you have to be to listen to this smooth brain nonsense.
It's been the staple of woo for a long time. It sounds (and is) scientific and most people don't understand it. It is essentially handwaving magic that if you google it, actually exists.

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

... and which will leave most people baffled after they do. Spooky tracking at a distance!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:03 pm Looking forward to having him advance legislation later this summer to address the four humors !
Enlarge Image
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:54 pm I can't defeat this. No one in my field can.

Sherri Tenpenny, one of the right's leading anti-vaccine "experts," claims that COVID vaccines are creating "quantum entanglement" between those who take them and "the Google credit scores and the dematrix and all of those things."
I reached out to my buddy to get to the bottom of this.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:50 pm Also, I'm sure I'll regret asking...but what the hell is "dematrix"?
Oh this whaz the greatest movie back in 99' staring that Keanu Reeves.
Enlarge Image
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:56 pm Just like we single out all those kids with the measles, diphtheria and the mumps.
I thought we were rethinking that whole thing, Smoove. Vaccinating kids against these serious illnesses is so yesterday.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kurth wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:27 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:56 pm Just like we single out all those kids with the measles, diphtheria and the mumps.
I thought we were rethinking that whole thing, Smoove. Vaccinating kids against these serious illnesses is so yesterday.
Yeah, it's not like those diseases are big problems anymore for kids in the United States. I wonder why? :wink:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:37 pm
Kurth wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:27 pm
Yeah, it's not like those diseases are big problems anymore for kids in the United States. I wonder why? :wink:
It's because freedom, right?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:54 pm I can't defeat this. No one in my field can.

Was just coming to post this. The world no longer makes any sense to me. We are surrounded by morons.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Grifman wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:12 pm The world no longer makes any sense to me. We are surrounded by morons.
Always have been.
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:46 pm A Cult of Ignorance
- Isaac Asimov, 1980.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:09 pm It's because freedom, right?
It might be. I've been asking experts in the field to confirm for me that back in the 1970s we just told parents to personal responsibility their way into making sure their kid didn't get the chickenpox or whooping cough - don't worry about what others are doing, just be a responsible adult and keep your own kid protected from disease...somehow. It clearly worked out!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, that's a good one. Thanks!

(but yeah, it's a bullseye)