Mass Effect Legendary Edition

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Post by $iljanus »

Hipolito wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:44 pm I'm about to play Mass Effect for the first time and need some help deciding which class to play. (I've already decided I'll be a renegade femshep.)

I'm not into shooters and don't want to play a class that's fiddly. I want to let my squadmates do most of the work. But I also want to feel powerfully badass.

Maybe Infiltrator would be good, since I could sit back and snipe enemies while my squadmates rush in and finish the job. And I do like sniping.

Maybe Sentinel, so I can cast spells to debuff the enemies and support my squadmates while they do the dirty work. Sentinels get a lot of powerful and useful spells. But maybe spellcasting is fiddly.

I pray for your input.
I liked playing as a Vanguard. A little bit of gunplay with some biotics on the sides. Never felt that I was shortchanged by not committing fully to a pure shooter or pure biotic. Also remember you have teammates that can supplement your skills with their own skills. Yeah they’re teammates but their skills are under your control.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Thanks for the info. I went with Infiltrator.

On an old Reddit thread, I saw pics of an amazing-looking renegade femshep. I would love for my Shepherd to look like this:

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

Unfortunately, the Reddit poster didn't mention the face code or what mods they used if any. (And even if they did, those mods were for the original games and probably wouldn't work with LE.)

So I tried to make a similar-looking Shepherd. I like the result, though I wish I chose thinner, lighter lips. She looks strange when she talks.

Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image

I've started ME1 and played to the end of the first mission (Eden Prime). I chose the hardest difficulty (Insanity), expecting to have to adjust it downward immediately. The combat has been pretty easy so far, though. Of course, Eden Prime could just be a "training" mission and the real challenge lies ahead.

I'm really enjoying the game. It's got slick production values. I'm still learning the interface and controls, though. I wish there was a manual. I'm glad I read the prequel Revelation novel as it helped me grok the plot and lore right away.

I'm keeping my Intimidate skill as high as possible. It's fun to be a jerk. I loved punching out that whimpering scientist!
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Still early in my first star trek through the Mass Effect series, I've just finished Mass Effect 1. I'm now going to describe at length how I feel about it. I'll evaluate various aspects, rating them a (+) or (-). No major spoilers.

Enlarge Image

Story (+): Though the plot treads some well-trod ground, it puts its own spin on it. I liked it, and was surprised by how things turned out. I liked the overall somber tone.

I am glad I read the prequel Revelation novel, as without it I would not have appreciated the setting and lore as much. If you haven't played the games yet, I recommend reading the book first. Even if you have played the games, I think you'll enjoy the book as it delves into character backstories and faction histories that the game only briefly mentions.

Enlarge Image

Dialogue (+): The dialogue was well-written throughout and the voice acting was mostly good. Femshep and Wrex especially were great. So was Admiral Hackett, voiced by the inimitable Lance Henriksen. And I was stirred by the inspirational speech that the salerian Captain Kirrahe delivered to his troops. It was nice for the game to shift the spotlight from Shepard to a minor alien character, and show that the salerians are more than merchants and spies.

Enlarge Image

Morality system (+): I loved being a renegade. It let me indulge my id and do stuff I'd never get away with in real life. I actually cheered when I punched out a reporter who asked one question too many.

Being a renegade isn't about choosing the hostile dialogue option every time, though. You'll miss out on quests and relationships if you do that. So choose the neutral or even nice options when you're feeling people out, then play the renegade card when you've gotten their trust.

I'm really proud of my Shepard, almost as if I had mentored her. That's a funny thing to say about a video game character. I made decisions for her, but she did and said things I didn't predict, going beyond what I thought she was capable of doing. From the character creation menu to the final shot, I watched her become the antihero people needed.

Enlarge Image

Quests (-): For the main quests, Virmire was really good. Fun to explore, and so much happens there. The other planets weren't nearly as good. Noveria was especially awkward and uninteresting.

The side quests were mostly cookie-cutter. Go here, kill everyone at this copied-and-pasted base, and leave without fanfare. You often don't get any interesting story or dialogue along the way. I completed all the non-collection quests and earned the "Completionist" achievement, a regrettable waste of time.

The Bring Down the Sky DLC was good, though. It had lovely visuals, unique combat zones, and a story complete with cutscenes. The overall game would have been better if it had fewer sidequests but they were fleshed out like this one.

Enlarge Image

Combat (-): I'm not much into shooters, and there was a lot of shooting in this game. It wasn't bad, though. The interplay between shooting, techs, and biotics was neat. Singularity is a particularly fun skill when you have the party member who can use it.

I chose the Infiltrator class because I thought it would let me lazily hang back and snipe while my squadmates did the close-up work. This was often not feasible, though. Your squadmates never become good enough fighters on their own; they're extensions of you, not independent of you. You have to take point or the fight won't progress. I still got to snipe fairly often, and it was fun to score the occasional one-hit kill. But sometimes I wish I had chosen a biotic-focused class.

Whenever a game lets me adjust the difficulty at any time, I start on the highest difficulty and adjust it as needed. So I started on Insanity difficulty and expected to have to rachet it down quickly. But I never felt compelled to do so. There were a few very tough battles, and some enemies that could one-shot me. But I managed to stick to Insanity till the end and earned the achievement for it. If you're into shooters, you can handle Insanity just fine. And even if you're not, just start on Insanity to see what it's like; you can always downshift later.

The very last battle, though ... have you ever been stuck in a broom closet with a half-dozen rabid Rottweilers, and your pockets were full of ham? It's like that, but in space.

Enlarge Image

Citadel (-): I was disappointed with how this is depicted in the game. It's much more interesting in the prequel book, like an analogue of New York City with the Presidium being the U.N. building and the five Wards being the boroughs. In the book, the Presidium is spacious and organic. In the game, it's a shiny, sterile shopping mall. The book explains at length how the Wards are where tens of millions of people live and work. One chapter even takes us along Anderson's commute from the Presidium to his apartment in the Wards. But in the game, all we see of the "Wards" are a couple of small basement levels under the Presidium, containing a few shops and bars. It would not have been feasible for the game to depict the Wards in their entirety, but there could have been a few missions in which you fast-traveled to certain locations in the actual Wards.

Enlarge Image

Exploration (-): Many of the 60+ hours I put into the game were spent driving around on planets, uncovering all the artifacts on the map and looking for hidden stuff. Sometimes I spent over an hour trying to reach an artifact located in a stubborn mountain range. That's really not the best way to experience the game. It's tedious, unnecessary, and generally unrewarding. My gamer brain made me do it anyway.

Still, there were beautiful vistas on the planets to take in. And I like that each planet had a unique appearance and description.

Enlarge Image

Aesthetics (+): The game looks good and runs well on my five-year-old PC. I didn't appreciate the soundtrack very much during the game; either it was too quiet or annoyingly repetitive like in the Presidium and Normandy. But as I listen to it now, I'm noticing its strong themes.

The direction of the cutscenes added to the emotional impact, often in little ways. The way Kirrahe walks along his line of troops when he gives that aforementioned speech. The way Garrus, when you first meet him, fixes you a skeptical but curious stare.

Enlarge Image

Overall (+): Despite its flaws, Mass Effect had couple of powerful hooks. One was the intriguing, well-developed sci-fi setting, the other was the connection I felt with my in-game character (now my avatar). After spending so much time with such an emotionally involving game, I'm going through a post-partum depression. Fortunately, there's a cure for that: Mass Effect 2, which I hear is even better. But before I play it, I'll check out the expanded media that takes place between 1 and 2: the Ascension book and Redemption graphic novel.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's really awesome. I'll be quite curious to hear how you feel about the series as you continue to play through - particularly if it changes your opinions on 1 or 2 as you get to 3. I'm excited for you, on the whole I really enjoyed the ME experience.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I generally agree with your take on 1. For what it's worth the individual quests get much better in ME2. The side quests aren't quite as cookie cutter, and in particular the "loyalty quests" that you get (one for each companion) are really strong and well done.

Though the overall story isn't as good. ME1 has the strongest overall story, then ME3, then ME2.
Black Lives Matter.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Thanks, guys. I look forward to posting here about ME2/3.

I've seen advice online that ME2 is so much better than ME1 that it's safe to just skip ME1. I briefly considered doing this. What a mistake that would have been!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well had no interest in this much but my brain has started to think about a replay again. But Im not bothering until I can get Legendary one day. Fisrt play through I played it with nothing. 2nd time with the free stuff. 3rd was with some DLC, 4th was other DLC added and my 5th was the same. But I want ALL the dlc this next go :) Dont want to miss a thing as Aeromith once told me.

Need to see which thread I was posting in on my last replay to see when it was. Its usually every 2 years or so. That may have changed when my wife died. Im not sure Ive replayed it in 3 or 4 years now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just had to share this for the Mako bit.

(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hahahaha The child assassin killed me. I wish I could have done that.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hodor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm in the mood for a sci-fi game with some depth. I was going to go with Cyberpunk 2077, but decided to let it bake just a little longer. I think it's time to dust off ME:LE (which hasn't gathered all that much dust since I got it during the OO Wishlistmas event last week...) I first started ME1 11 years ago, and finished the trilogy a couple of years later, playing them one at a time rather than back-to-back. It's been long enough to feel fresh.

My big challenge: I spent between 100 to 150 hours with Commander Shepard. Shepard is a personality in my mind. He's male, a sole survivor, and a soldier. It's just who he is. The idea of switching to FemShep is... strange, as is the thought of playing a different class. Those other classes are support classes. They're not Shepard's job! But I want to vary the experience this time, so it's probably a good idea. Whooph!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sheps always male and default look but I mix up his class each play through. I must have finished the trilogy 5 times.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok about to start my ...6th?.....play through of the trilogy in a few min. I was thinking of going pure renegade this time. Out of my 5 or so Ive done renegade only once I think. But I also kinda dont want to. Lol. But dont want to be pure paragon yet again...yawn.

So Im thinking a little of both..bit more paragon with some renegade thrown in when it suits the moment. I recall Star Wars kinda gimping you if you did that...it was always better to be a pure choice player so you got your skills and attacks and such.

Would I be screwing Shep up if I do a bit of both??

Enlarge Image

EDIT: Also if Im one in ME1 can I go the other in ME2? I recall playing different classes in each game to mix it up.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I am remembering what I didn't like about ME1. It has that worst feature of open world games: busy work. Lots of worlds with nothing on them but a tiny, irrelevant collectible.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Again Im struck by just how useless the Destiny Ascension is. As you pull into the Citadel for the first time your crew remarks on how big and powerful it is and that its main gun can rip though any Alliance ships shields in one shot.

Yet in 3 games I dont remember it firing its gun even one time. Not at the big first games battle or the giant fleet battle in ME3. In fact in ME1 its getting its ass shot to hell by a few Geth ships and begging for help. Useless junk.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I feel like we've had this discussion before. Mainly that an entire generation of Bioware games do not "reward" middle of the road. Instead, they seem to be designed to tell the story of extremes - good and bad.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:01 pm So Im thinking a little of both..bit more paragon with some renegade thrown in when it suits the moment. I recall Star Wars kinda gimping you if you did that...it was always better to be a pure choice player so you got your skills and attacks and such.

EDIT: Also if Im one in ME1 can I go the other in ME2? I recall playing different classes in each game to mix it up.
In ME1, especially with DLC, as I recall, there are enough paragon/renegade points that you can max out one and make partial progress on the other. But you have to dump a good number of skill points into the paragon/renegade skills in order to get some of the blue/red dialog options, which means you'll be gimping yourself a bit combat-wise. Definitely don't pick any neutral conversation options though.

When you get to ME2, you get some percentage of your paragon/renegade scores exported from ME1, so you better have one or the other maxed out before you finish off ME1, otherwise you'll be missing out on blue/red dialog options right off the bat in ME2, and it's hard to catch up. Same with ME3, but there are no neutral options in ME3.

XP-wise, I don't know if they changed that in legendary edition, but you used to only get 1/3 of the XP (or something like that) for kills made while in the Mako. So I used to, very tediously, bring every bad guy down to almost zero health, then get out and ping them to death with weapons fire. I'm not missing out on that XP, bitches!
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Must have made threshermaws more thrilling. 😁
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:59 am Must have made threshermaws more thrilling. 😁
Heh, yeah, nothing like spending half an hour whittling it down to one pixel of health, then another half an hour blasting away with a handgun while dodging one-shot-kill acid blasts.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

NickAragua wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:12 am
XP-wise, I don't know if they changed that in legendary edition, but you used to only get 1/3 of the XP (or something like that) for kills made while in the Mako.
They changed it. They changed a lot about the Mako. It's less affected by physics, has speed boosters, better controls, etc.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:16 pm
NickAragua wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:12 am
XP-wise, I don't know if they changed that in legendary edition, but you used to only get 1/3 of the XP (or something like that) for kills made while in the Mako.
They changed it. They changed a lot about the Mako. It's less affected by physics, has speed boosters, better controls, etc.
Huzzah!
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Super soldier Cmdr Shepard cant sprint 12 steps without huffing and puffing. I would have thought they would have changed it a bit more in Legendary.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Remember he's carrying the weight of the galaxy on his shoulders, lol.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Are there any graphics mods for Legendary or is it at the best it will be ?

I see the ALOT mod mentioned a lot. But I dont want an unstable game for something I can barely tel la difference in sometimes.

https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectleg ... n/mods/363
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

That lift down into ship's hanger has got to be slower than anything in use today.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its been 15 years and at least 5 playthroughs and I just thought why dont the Quarians stop flying around and integrate with the rest of the galaxy? Theres tons of colonies and habital planets in each races territory. I think Tali says there are only like 17 million of them or something like that. Dont think Id want to live in a damn suit all my life...nasty.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ran into my first threshermaw in 4 or 5 years. Went badly. It was set for the mako to follow my camera. So as Im trying to circle strafe and shoot at the maw the mako kept turning to ram it..ARGH. Who put that setting in the game? I dont recall it in there originally. Finally found the setting.

EDIT: I almost forgot to scan my mouse over asteroid rings.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Game seems buggy compared to original. I was on a transport and I finished the mission and turned to head back and Shepard turns to face the camera..im trying to run forward and he keeps turning around and looking at me while slowly running backwards and periodically flipping his stance from front to back. If I fired my gun it fired the correct way away from me but from his back or ass. It finally cleared up before I left the ship. It was as if he was locked onto something we'd passed and wanted to go back lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know why they made the Mako boost of speed sound like a threshermaw. To me they sound a lot alike and all the time Im in the mako now Im nervous the entire time thinking a threshermaw is near me.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:17 am Ran into my first threshermaw in 4 or 5 years. Went badly. It was set for the mako to follow my camera. So as Im trying to circle strafe and shoot at the maw the mako kept turning to ram it..ARGH. Who put that setting in the game? I dont recall it in there originally. Finally found the setting.

EDIT: I almost forgot to scan my mouse over asteroid rings.
They put it in because the Mako controls were infamously horrible. The new controls are similar to the way most action games handle vehicles (you go where the mouse is pointed.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I turned that setting off. I loved the original Mako . Had zero trouble with it. Could go anywhere and jump and such. Loved it. This one feels off ....i think they lowered the boost duration and made it heavier. Not as good or easy to control as the original.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They decreased the effect of the physics on it so it was less 'bouncy.' In their own words, they made it drive more like a tank and less like a dune buggy. That was one of the biggest complaints about it originally. And to be clear, people hated the Mako. The Mako driving segments were routinely roasted in reviews.

I'm happy you enjoyed the original, but it was one of the systems they pretty much had to revamp to get people back into the game.
JCC

Post by JCC »

The changes made in the LE were an improvement, but I still loathed all of the Mako sections when I replayed the first game last year. Whoever programmed all the irritating mountains with one or two paths through it was a sadist. They should have just made it play like ME4. That vehicle was a joy to drive.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I didn't make a jump in it last night over a deep pit...usually I can..still think they over tweaked it.......and ended up IN the hole.....man that took some steering and boosting to get out of . Was tempted to F it t the ship and reland lol...but Im good with that Mako.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone modded their Legendary? Had any problems?

I saw this MOD and knew I want to use it on ME3.

Anyone try this one?
Take Earth Back
An overhaul for the final mission of Mass Effect 3 with the aim of representing the allies you have gathered over the course of the trilogy, fixing bugs and adding ambient immersive events. In addition, this is natively built to be compatible with story mods such as Expanded Galaxy Mod and Spectre Expansion Mod.
You can scroll down that page a little to where the changes are listed and explained. It sounds very good. In fact I may use it and let old Shep die as a paragon....but evil now he must live with The Happy Ending MOD. Ive used it a few times.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I installed these:
Spoiler:
No issues, but other than the patch and mouse fix, they were all texture replacers. Those are far less likely to cause issues than gameplay additions. If you install any of them, be sure to read up on them. A couple of them have involved install processes and orders, and there are two different mod managers used for different types of mods.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thanks. I meant to mod before starting but wanted to see what the Legendary look had changed. Then forgot the mods.

That Relay Jump HD sounds interesting. Cant find a video on it so not sure I want to risk a crash for a better jump animation
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was thinking about these mods.

Unlimited Sprint and Boost Duration Titles says it all.

Galaxy Map Trackers (LE1)
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Expanded Galaxy Mod (LE) This seems way cool. Adds a gun range to the Normandy, changes it so you can skip the slow scanner as you come back aboard..and other stuff.

One Probe All Resources - YES! Thank ya! Of course its for ME2.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Found a bug on Noveria. Its where you are rebooting the AI of Lab-15. I exited the puzzle to see how much Medi-Gel I had as the thing was starting to annoy me. When i started the puzzle again it was frozen there. Had to hit my quick load key to get out of it.

Also took note that Normal diff is kinda easy for me these days. But the next diff up, Veteran I think, just loads up enemies with tons of health it feels like.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

After all these years Im still not happy with the choices and outcome of the Thorian. All you can do is kill it. Seems a waste to lose such an ancient intelligent plant. Knowledge and stuff lost. They could have made it have choices. Like paragon would be to reason with it and befriend it. Its knowledge could help in ME3. Renegade could have you either kill it or to harness it somehow and get resources from Zhu's Hope.

Just hate not having any choice but to kill it outright.