Updated to Win10....troubleshoots and chat

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Updated to Win10....troubleshoots and chat

Post by Daehawk »

Wanted to make a full thread on my adventures. Ive already updated. Looks great actually Im surprised. Im having trouble with music and sounds. Want to turn off windows sounds as I always do and they are static filled right now anyways. and youtube music videos are horribly muddy and bad. May need win10 specific sound drivers.

EDIT: Its not all YT videos and not all the same type. Like some regular video sound fine...some music videos sound fine. Others of both type are so muddy and distorted I cant hear or understand them . Like I tried to watch 2 different videos on how to fix the problem and couldn't understand either lol.

Also still looking to turn off win sounds. Man I hate those pings and bings.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Re: Updated to Win10....troubleshoots and chat

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:18 pm Wanted to make a full thread on my adventures. Ive already updated. Looks great actually Im surprised. Im having trouble with music and sounds. Want to turn off windows sounds as I always do and they are static filled right now anyways. and youtube music videos are horribly muddy and bad. May need win10 specific sound drivers.

EDIT: Its not all YT videos and not all the same type. Like some regular video sound fine...some music videos sound fine. Others of both type are so muddy and distorted I cant hear or understand them . Like I tried to watch 2 different videos on how to fix the problem and couldn't understand either lol.

Also still looking to turn off win sounds. Man I hate those pings and bings.
To simplify the process, try using the free and open source Snappy Driver Installer Origin to automatically find and install your Windows 10 drivers:

Also, courtesy of thewindowsclub.com, here's How to Turn Off Notification and System Sounds in Windows 10.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

will that notification turn off the nah screen when I try to run an installer or other app?...it nags me on restall about are you sure you want to run this..for Ccleaner even.

EDIT...darn...Shutup10 turned off that text box at the bottom on my taskbar that allowed me to type in settings or device manager and pop that stuff up

EDIT: hahah that video you posted is so sound garbled I cant understand a thing...doh
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hmm the online live news feed for my local news is garbled. Cant watch it ..argh. warrbbbbbggrarrbleammuffff
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:51 pm EDIT...darn...Shutup10 turned off that text box at the bottom on my taskbar that allowed me to type in settings or device manager and pop that stuff up
Uhm...the search box? Right-click on taskbar > Search > check the "Show search box" option.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Chances are one of your codecs are corrupted, if the video plays fine elsewhere.

I usually install something like K-lite Codec Pack (the "standard" version will be fine)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:51 pm EDIT: hahah that video you posted is so sound garbled I cant understand a thing...doh
Forget the video - just go to device manager and manually check each sound device to see if there are updated drivers. Also, it's pretty damn hard to be missing sound drivers if you have all Windows updates in place, so finish installing those too.

You can worry about stupid minor annoyances (like disabling Windows sounds) later. Focus on fixing one issue at a time.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya its all find but sound. Some videos play sound perfect like always...others are totally miffed. My local news feeds are also a no go now. Twitch is also non understandable. No idea what else. Not tried a game.

Ive run all those fixes...ran all updates.....installed fresh and updated sound drivers.....deleted old sound stuff like anything devices not used and all razer software. Ive checked all sound settings and nothing helps. theres pages and pages on Google to see about this issue especially when updating to Win10 from an older OS. But I cant hear the dang videos to try most of it.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:51 pm EDIT: hahah that video you posted is so sound garbled I cant understand a thing...doh
  1. Point your browser here.
  2. Click the "Download Now!" button, and download the 'Application Only' version of the Snappy Driver Installer Origin tool.
  3. Extract the zip file, then run the SDIO_x64 exe found in the SDIO folder.
  4. If you see a window saying Windows protected your PC, click on 'more info,' then hit the 'Run anyway' button that should now appear.
  5. Acknowledge the licensing agreement, then choose to 'Download Indexes Only'.
  6. With a focus on audio drivers, check the boxes for relevant drivers you'd like to update, then click on 'Install' in the left menu.
  7. If necessary -- the program will indicate this -- restart your system to complete driver installation.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Do you have a Creative Labs Sound Blaster card from 2005 installed or something? Or are you using onboard sound from the motherboard?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok Bosch before I run that again.............and Smoove yes a Sound Blaster Z...got in mid 2015 or so I think. Would have to look.

This is just a damn maddening problem. Heres the latest update.

Thought maybe it was Firefox so tried Edge...same trouble on the same things...certain videos and any local news channels stuff. Thought maybe its a Flash problem or whatever they use for streaming. Then again Twitch is F'd too totally.

Got fed up and uninstalled ALL sound drivers and anything creative labs or sound blaster. Rebooted and for shits sake I tried a video...same messed up but why or how it has any sound was a surprise.

then for funs sake I enabled my monitors speakers and switched default sound device to the monitor...low and behold everything plays clear through the monitor's built in Bang and Olufsen speakers. WTH. I dont get it. Seems to be a speakers play through problem..which was fine before Win10.

So now Im going to reinstall fresh drivers and test more speaker stuff. Its somewhere in that area.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but I seem to remember there being all kinds of sound card issues with Win10 when it was being previewed and/or first released. I would have thought that would have been fixed by now, but maybe not.

Did you see this?

I think I'd say to yank it the F out and use onboard sound to get you through the upgrade. Then after you get the system set up and stable, figure out how to install your 3rd party sound card afterwards.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No I hadn't seen that. And I was about to yank it out...but well....

You know the other day when the GTX 970 arrived and I couldn't fit it in the case? Well I had to gut the 10 year old system and installed most of it in the 20 year old case to fit that 970. I actually could barely walk upright the next day I was so sore as this old case is nearly 30 lbs completely bare. Anyways I sat it here and wasn't about to move it. Well my sound card has 5 ports...1 for front speakers 1 for back 1 for a subwoofer and 2 others Im not clear on. I seem to have plugged my speakers into the back port or something. I couldn't see back there and just had to feel. They worked fine in Win7 it seems so had no idea. But Win10 is picky I guess and wasn't happy. I pulled the speakers and noticed the problem and plugged it into the other port...viola fixed. Least all the stuff I was testing that was muffed is now fine. And a fresh install of all the software for it sounds great.

So came down to a simple wrong plugin in the card. Ill be in the corner.

I will look into the other software suggested for Win10 though guys thanks..I did run Bosch's original script from that guy and before that BH's Shutup10. Miss a couple items from before I ran them but dont know what they were called so cant just turn those back on lol. Also no windows update..Im guessing it will download just what I need as I cant run it myself now.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:36 pm Also no windows update..Im guessing it will download just what i need as I cant run it myself now.
There's just so much wrong with this statement...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Actually looked close at it and its plugged into the headphones jack and the settings in win10 are to heaphones. I tried the speaker ports...right ones this time...set to speakers...and muffled. So guess I use sound set for headphones. Tired of fooling with it lol.

EDIT: Looks like others suffer this same problem. Some have suggested using the built in windows audio driver. Im not sure I want to fool with it since I have sound through headphone port right now....I have my speakers plugged into it so dont actually use headphones. So will leave for now and keep this win audio driver thing in mind for trouble later if any.
Anonymous Bosch

gilraen wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:38 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:36 pm Also no windows update..Im guessing it will download just what i need as I cant run it myself now.
There's just so much wrong with this statement...
Amen.

Daehawk, can you further clarify what you mean here? What exactly happens if you open the Run dialog (Windows key + R), enter the following command:

Code: Select all

control update
…and click the 'Check for updates' button? Do you not see it 'Checking for updates…'? Are you getting an error of some sort?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well its back. BTW dont have my windows keys enabled. Earlier when I tried to pop up Windows Update it errors ...something about didn't exist or something. I figured it was one of those Win10 tweaks I ran and it was handling it all.

But this time it popped up..has some important stuff to install without me checking even. Guess Ill be updating some more. Thanks.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Run Windows Update. Then run it again. If it asks for a reboot, reboot. Then run it again. Keep doing that until there isn't anything left.

And FWIW, on new installs I run ShutUp10 after it's fully updated (but I don't take as strong a position as AB on security/privacy/disabling features - not a judgment, just different views.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Doing updates now. Still perplexes me the trouble with speakers vs headphones on Win10. Shrug. Not important since its working. Looking forward to some gaming later. Next up I need a 360 controller. Hate they are so expensive. 3ry ones are about $25 and up but I here they are cheap for a reason. I like the feel of this XBone one but I guess theres a reason it came free in a WOOT box.....the controls are lose and in games it wildly moves me around erratically.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am not too sure about SDIO. I just downloaded and tried it, and it's saying I need to update a TON of intel stuff. But I also run Intel's own update wizard and THAT says I'm up to date.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Guessing that it isn't a real Xbox One controller. I upgraded from a 360 controller to an XB1 for PC and they are rock solid. As good as or better than the 360.
Anonymous Bosch

Kasey Chang wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:39 pm I am not too sure about SDIO. I just downloaded and tried it, and it's saying I need to update a TON of intel stuff. But I also run Intel's own update wizard and THAT says I'm up to date.
YMMV, but Intel driver update utilities tend to be somewhat inept in my experience. SDIO is no panacea and won't necessarily solve every conceivable driver issue, but I've always found it to be remarkably useful.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:37 pm Next up I need a 360 controller. Hate they are so expensive. 3ry ones are about $25 and up but I here they are cheap for a reason. I like the feel of this XBone one but I guess theres a reason it came free in a WOOT box.....the controls are lose and in games it wildly moves me around erratically.
If you can live with a wired controller, I've found the PowerA Enhanced Xbox Wired Controllers make for a reliable and more economical alternative vs. spending ~$60 for the wireless Microsoft equivalent. Currently, Amazon is selling the black version for $29.99 or purple for $27.99. I keep a couple of the Spectra versions handy for local multiplayer gaming. Also, unlike other knock-off controllers, these are officially licensed.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Is it possible to see what Win10 this is that installed? I recall seeing Home but I dont know if its x64. Im guessing it is because I dont think they make a x32 any longer right?.

So its prob Win10 X64 HOME ? not PRO? I need to look up the diff too.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:20 pm If you can live with a wired controller, I've found the PowerA Enhanced Xbox Wired Controllers make for a reliable and more economical alternative vs. spending ~$60 for the wireless Microsoft equivalent. Currently, Amazon is selling the black version for $29.99 or purple for $27.99. I keep a couple of the Spectra versions handy for local multiplayer gaming. Also, unlike other knock-off controllers, these are officially licensed.
I just spent $25 on the red one of these last weekend, and it actually seems pretty nice for what it is. It isn't a $60 rock-solid OEM XBox controller, but for my purposes (hopefully getting into Witcher 3 FOR REAL THIS TIME) I think it's going to be very nice.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The Meal wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:45 am
Anonymous Bosch wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:20 pm If you can live with a wired controller, I've found the PowerA Enhanced Xbox Wired Controllers make for a reliable and more economical alternative vs. spending ~$60 for the wireless Microsoft equivalent. Currently, Amazon is selling the black version for $29.99 or purple for $27.99. I keep a couple of the Spectra versions handy for local multiplayer gaming. Also, unlike other knock-off controllers, these are officially licensed.
I just spent $25 on the red one of these last weekend, and it actually seems pretty nice for what it is. It isn't a $60 rock-solid OEM XBox controller, but for my purposes (hopefully getting into Witcher 3 FOR REAL THIS TIME) I think it's going to be very nice.
My last one was a wired 360 controller. Loved it. but the wire shorted. I lived with it a bit by using a rubberband but one day it rebooted my entire system when the shock hit it. Id like one thats micro USB I think so I can use it wired but replace the cord if it goes bad. This older one was hard wired in . Its a real 360 one too. I got it because Iwas worried a usb one would keep coming unplugged easy. But now I see the benefit it would be to replace just a cord.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I haven't had a cord on my last two PC controllers. I can't imagine going back to wired. Same thing with my mouse and headphones. There's little enough space on and around my desk as it is without having to deal with extra wires getting tangled up.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not even to recharge it via USB? I couldn't live with replacing batteries. I like having it wireless then still be able to use it while it charges.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:27 pm Not even to recharge it via USB? I couldn't live with replacing batteries. I like having it wireless then still be able to use it while it charges.
I have rechargeable batteries in everything that that uses them, and have extra sets always ready on the charger. I change my controller batteries maybe once every two weeks if I'm using it regularly, every couple of months if I'm using it occasionally. Not having to screw with the cord is worth the 90 seconds it takes to swap out batteries.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:22 am Is it possible to see what Win10 this is that installed? I recall seeing Home but I dont know if its x64. Im guessing it is because I dont think they make a x32 any longer right?.

Yep. Just go here: Start -> Settings -> System -> About

From here, the System type line beneath the Device specifications area will indicate whether your system is 64-bit or 32-bit. Scroll that down a little further, and the Windows specifications section tells you the specific edition, version, date of installation, and OS build of Windows you are running.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

It's funny how folks get very strong opinions on wired versus non-wired. Definitely something there based on your workspace environment and use case. I staunchly prefer wired peripherals, both at home and at various work workspaces (all of which generally have a bit of space around them for appropriately routing wires, and which don't tend to see me trying to use the peripherals from differing seated locations).

I'm super glad there are both options available on the consumer market.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:36 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:22 am Is it possible to see what Win10 this is that installed? I recall seeing Home but I dont know if its x64. Im guessing it is because I dont think they make a x32 any longer right?.

Yep. Just go here: Start -> Settings -> System -> About

From here, the System type line beneath the Device specifications area will indicate whether your system is 64-bit or 32-bit. Scroll that down a little further, and the Windows specifications section tells you the specific edition, version, date of installation, and OS build of Windows you are running.
64 bit Win 10 Home. Thank you.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Dae, for your sound issues, Windows 10 has a sound troubleshooter which may help to figure out what's wrong.

This may help: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... indows-10/

This card specific tom's hardware thread might also help. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads ... z.2377947/

One of the suggestions is to check whether 'surround' is checked or not, which has fixed it for most people with the issue.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thnx R.

I ran the troublshooter and it simply suggests turning off enhancements. Thats been off since I started looking on update. Ive rechecked it many times.

Surround was on though so turned it off. Will check the sound again in a few. Just hopped out of the shower.

EDIT: I 'think' one of the two suggestions in your links might have worked. I turned off surround in my SB stuff and I enabled digital audio device in my settings. I still have it set to my SB Z as default device but the digital audio thing was disabled so I simply enabled it. So now my SB has a checkmark on because its default and the digital has a phone icon or something.

But I changed the port on the back from heaphone to the speakers port and tested the stuff that failed to sound right and they all sound normal now.

So maybe you fixed it man. Ill leave it as is and keep listening for any trouble. If so I can switch back to headphone port and still use the Klipsch speakers like I was. But I do prefer it working right as it is now again wooot. Thanks!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Woot! Glad it helped! :)
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Now time to upgrade to 11.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:59 pm Now time to upgrade to 11.

Maybe in 6 or 7 years.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Is your sound still holding up, Dae?
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yup still good .Was worried as it downloaded an update to that hd audio driver the other day but still good.