Email spam

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

naednek

Email spam

Post by naednek »

I woke up today with a bunch of spam. Phishing attempts. Not sure why all of a sudden but it's annoying as I continue to receive them. They are from different email addresses offering different products. Any idea to get them to stop?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Chraolic

Re: Email spam

Post by Chraolic »

I've also gotten a lot more spam recently, but I just thought it was because I signed up on AliExpress. The week after I got like 20-30 spam mails per day and thought "Oh yeah, I really should have used a burner address for that.".
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I've had a few phishing blasts where I'd get like 4 or 5 emails from a bank or similar. Usually at a bank where I don't have an account. I just ignore them unless it's a new account notice, I which case I call the bank.

naednek wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:26 pm I woke up today with a bunch of spam.
We don't judge. :wink:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've noticed that scammers keep an eye out on popular sites. With reluctance, I signed up with a popular site due to a suggestion by a friend, and I'm not sure how (in that they knew I even had an account) but less than a year later, I started getting lots of password reset emails. It wasn't a site I was using much and it wasn't really working for me a year into it, so I deleted my account and the emails stopped.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

From the title of this thread I thought it was spam that the mods re-titled.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Lately, Russian women have been seeking my friendship. I figure it must have something to do with the impending invasion of Ukraine.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I got tricked by a job website and now I get endless spams from them. Turns out they fake relist the jobs that weren't there.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ALWAYS use a burner for job searches or other major life events.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

A few weeks ago I started to get massive amounts of spam in my inbox, as if gmail had totally disabled its spam filter. Every day I was marking 30-50 messages as spam, hoping that the thing would finally catch up. That may have happened, as now I'm getting a couple hundred messages in my Spam folder and only a handful in my inbox.

I'm not even sure what I may have done to trigger that. I don't remember signing up for anything or giving my address to anyone new at the time.
Conform or be cast out!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I skip this thread so much because every time I see the title I think its a spam post and has been locked.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Hrdina wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:13 am I'm not even sure what I may have done to trigger that. I don't remember signing up for anything or giving my address to anyone new at the time.
I hear you. I sent one dick pic to a lonely Russian girl and holy cow. I probably shouldn't have sent Dick van Dyke.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Hrdina wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:13 am A few weeks ago I started to get massive amounts of spam in my inbox, as if gmail had totally disabled its spam filter. Every day I was marking 30-50 messages as spam, hoping that the thing would finally catch up. That may have happened, as now I'm getting a couple hundred messages in my Spam folder and only a handful in my inbox.

I'm not even sure what I may have done to trigger that. I don't remember signing up for anything or giving my address to anyone new at the time.
It can unfortunately happen if the address is in a collection due to a leak, and if the address has been around for awhile. My hotmail or whatever you want to call it now, used to get lots like that and it comes in waves. Used to get email from instagram on email address and I don't even have an instagram account, let alone on that one.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

naednek wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:26 pm I woke up today with a bunch of spam. Phishing attempts. Not sure why all of a sudden but it's annoying as I continue to receive them. They are from different email addresses offering different products. Any idea to get them to stop?

This kind of depends on who your email service provider is. Need more info.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:51 pm
naednek wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:26 pm I woke up today with a bunch of spam. Phishing attempts. Not sure why all of a sudden but it's annoying as I continue to receive them. They are from different email addresses offering different products. Any idea to get them to stop?

This kind of depends on who your email service provider is. Need more info.
gmail.

I think their filter was messed up . I'm getting less now, or at least it's putting them in the spam folder.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:55 pmIt can unfortunately happen if the address is in a collection due to a leak, and if the address has been around for awhile. My hotmail or whatever you want to call it now, used to get lots like that and it comes in waves. Used to get email from instagram on email address and I don't even have an instagram account, let alone on that one.
Yeah, this is an address I have had for a long time.

I also get email for various noxious things like facebook & twitter even though I have never signed up for them.
naednek wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:17 pmgmail.

I think their filter was messed up . I'm getting less now, or at least it's putting them in the spam folder.
Mine likewise was a gmail address, and it has also gotten better.

I don't know whether their filter was messed up, or someone figured out a way to punch a hole through it and it took google a little while to adapt.
Conform or be cast out!
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I do know that sometimes scammers will always get better and find new ways to make their emails look more legitimate, which comes with better ways to fool the anti-spam systems.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti