MP3 player for audiobooks

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

gilraen

MP3 player for audiobooks

Post by gilraen »

Does anyone still use an actual mp3 player to listen to audiobooks? If so, what do you use?

I've been holding on to my Sansa Clip+ that I bought in November 2011. For obvious reasons, the thing is starting to get a bit long in the tooth - it periodically glitches, freezes up when you try to power it on, and the battery isn't holding a charge nearly as well. When I use it in the car, it's plugged in, but last time I used it to listen to music while skiing, the battery died after about 2 hours.

Unfortunately, it's been literally impossible to find anything on the market that even comes close for audiobook functionality in the past decade. I don't need bluetooth. I don't need a hi-def screen. I don't even need it to play any format other than mp3. I DO need actual buttons that I can press without looking (not a touchscreen), and I need the ability to lock it so a button doesn't get accidentally pressed. Also, need the ability to fast forward and rewind.

The main thing with audiobooks is that a) it MUST play the files in the order that they are in the folder, and b) it MUST remember where you left off without the need for manually bookmarking (even if you switch to music and then back to the book). Simple, right? Well, you would think... There's a reason why Sansa Clip+ are currently going on eBay for anywhere from $50-$230 and up.

I try a generic search for "best mp3 players for audiobooks". One of the top "recommendations" is Apple iPod Touch or Nano - tons of functionality that I don't need, in an ecosystem that I don't want, for way too much money. Next up is Sansa Clip Jam. Reading the very first review on Amazon:
Seriously, though. Let's pretend we're watching a movie and the bluray player works like this clip jam.
Movie start:
>Plays scene one.
>Plays scene two.
>Starts scene three from the middle.
What the--? You click the back button to make it restart from the beginning of scene three.
>Restarts scene two.
Goddammit. Click forward.
>Restarts scene three from the same point in the middle.
ARRRGHHH! Click back twice to get to the scene selection screen.
>Movie turns off entirely and you must reopen the entire app to start the movie again.
Scene selections, play scene 3.
>Are you sure you want to start from the beginning?
Yes.
>Starts scene 3 from the beginning.
>Plays scene 4.
>Starts scene 5 from the sex scene, because apparently your mom watched it last and that's where she left off.
...Kill me.
Yeah...okay, put a pin in that one for now.

Maybe Sansa Clip Sport Go is a better option? Again, checking on Amazon and reading Q&A - will it pick up the audiobook where you left off? The answers are "Sometimes yes and sometimes no. It's not all that reliable" and "Yes, unless u do another function in between". Another person says "Instead of hitting pause for audiobooks, I just shut down and the location will stay. However if I pause and then shut down, the bookmark may not stay and I have to find the lost chapter".

Kill me now.

So after reading some suggestions on Reddit, there were mentions of brands that I haven't seen before, is anyone familiar with RUIZU or Oakcastle? Or anything else - I don't care if it's a cheap Chinese knock-off, as long as it does what I need it to do. I'm looking to just buy another Sansa Clip+ off of eBay but the problem is that even a "brand-new in box" item will be a decade old, and there's no guarantee that it will hold a charge any better than mine does.
hitbyambulance

Re: MP3 player for audiobooks

Post by hitbyambulance »

i have this one, but it won't meet your needs:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Portab ... B07P42Z5CP
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't know your reasoning behind some of what you don't need, but for that sort of thing my first thought would be to use a retired phone. I've got a couple long-outdated Android phones that serve as a single-app system now without any service outside of my own wifi.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

You may have to roll the dice with one of the SanDisk Clips. It's possible the the reviews are more representative of user error or file/directory issues. Did you stop reading after the first bad review?

The Victor Reader would probably work but they're $400+.

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:52 pm I don't know your reasoning behind some of what you don't need, but for that sort of thing my first thought would be to use a retired phone. I've got a couple long-outdated Android phones that serve as a single-app system now without any service outside of my own wifi.
Physical buttons and a button lock probably rules out any type of phone.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:10 pm You may have to roll the dice with one of the SanDisk Clips. It's possible the the reviews are more representative of user error or file/directory issues. Did you stop reading after the first bad review?
No, I've been reading reviews for the last 2 days. Right now I'm looking at a RUIZU X26 since it was basically a knockoff of the original Sansa Clip. And it's only about 25 bucks, but it's shipping from China, so it will take a month to get here. If that doesn't work out, I'll go back to Sansa Clip Sport and give that a try.
stessier

Post by stessier »

gilraen wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:48 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:10 pm You may have to roll the dice with one of the SanDisk Clips. It's possible the the reviews are more representative of user error or file/directory issues. Did you stop reading after the first bad review?
No, I've been reading reviews for the last 2 days. Right now I'm looking at a RUIZU X26 since it was basically a knockoff of the original Sansa Clip. And it's only about 25 bucks, but it's shipping from China, so it will take a month to get here. If that doesn't work out, I'll go back to Sansa Clip Sport and give that a try.
Do you need the clip to work? I have a Clip Sport+ with a broken clip that makes it worthless to me (can't use it on my runs). If you pay shipping, it's yours.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

stessier wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:00 am Do you need the clip to work? I have a Clip Sport+ with a broken clip that makes it worthless to me (can't use it on my runs). If you pay shipping, it's yours.
No, I don't need the clip. I'll send you a PM, thanks!