The Biden Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: The Biden Presidency Thread

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:43 pm If we have to choose between Biden and Trump again, it'll still be a no-brainer. It'll also be a no-winner.
Canadian tax revenues will certainly appreciate the boost.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Oh, I'm sure he would have liked only a Yes or No answer....

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LOL, Fox not sending their best.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I'm smitten, but I wish that she would have political ambisions.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:02 pm I'm smitten, but I wish that she would have political ambisions.
Or high school teacher.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:17 pm
Unagi wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:02 pm I'm smitten, but I wish that she would have political ambisions.
Or high school teacher.
I imagine that means different things to different people.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm leaving out the smitten part. She fits the role of a high school teacher trying to help students connect the dots. It's a weird position for a press secretary to be in but she performs it very well.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:32 pm Image
I dont feel tardy.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

"Putting it on the market" means selling it at spot market prices, right? Oil that was stockpiled when prices were low. Profit!
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

I'd do what Bush the lesser did and rumble about "congressional investigations" and watch the price of oil drop 3 dollars overnight.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:06 pm "Putting it on the market" means selling it at spot market prices, right? Oil that was stockpiled when prices were low. Profit!
That's about the only potential upside of this plan. It represents a steady stream of 1% additional global capacity. It's a gimmick. In fact the whole plan is incoherent in light of other actions the administration has taken.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:14 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:06 pm "Putting it on the market" means selling it at spot market prices, right? Oil that was stockpiled when prices were low. Profit!
That's about the only potential upside of this plan. It represents a steady stream of 1% additional global capacity. It's a gimmick. In fact the whole plan is incoherent in light of other actions the administration has taken.
Gimmick or not, I don't see a downside and it turns a profit. Therefore I approve, as should all good capitalists. :twisted:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:01 am
malchior wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:14 pm
Gimmick or not, I don't see a downside and it turns a profit. Therefore I approve, as should all good capitalists. :twisted:
Talking heads suggested the downsides of not being able to pull a million barrels per day that it's not possible. Capacity 800,000 something and that is difficult with aging equipment. OtOH, releasing when expensive and buying when cheap is the prudent thing to do, so long as we don't use it as an excuse to put off "peak oil". Where is that thread?
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Well, this is some bad news for Biden and the Dems: New poll shows Mass. voters have soured on Biden. A lot.
In March 2020, President Biden swept through Massachusetts’ Democratic primary with a come-from-behind Super Tuesday victory. He later topped Donald Trump by 33 ½ percentage points here, his second-largest margin of victory in November. Few places lean more Democratic than Massachusetts, according to political forecasters.

But even in this deep blue stronghold, Biden has fallen hard.

Just 46 percent of registered Massachusetts voters say they approve of the job Biden is doing as president, with about the same proportion giving him a thumbs down, according to a new Suffolk University/Boston Globe poll. Of the 765 registered voters surveyed, just two more — 354 to 352 — said they disapproved.

Biden’s troubles run across several demographics. He struggled the most with voters 35 or younger, with just 37 percent of them approving of him. And while nearly all Republicans, unsurprisingly, say they disapprove of his job performance, more than half of unenrolled voters — Massachusetts’ largest voting bloc — said they also hold a dim view: Just 39 percent say they approve, compared to 52 percent who don’t.

The findings, particularly in a reliably Democratic state, show a worrisome lack of support for the president and one that reflects the depth of his political troubles with mid-term elections approaching this fall. Massachusetts voters in particular appear to be souring on the country’s economic outlook, with more than half — 51 percent — saying they believe the economy is in a recession or depression, according to the poll.
Polls of fewer than 1,000 respondents don't carry a whole lot of weight, but Biden's in a world of hurt if even Massholes turn against him.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I have a feeling that we're going to see a lot dreams shattered for the left in upcoming elections. :(
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

hepcat wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:34 pm I have a feeling that we're going to see a lot dreams shattered for the left in upcoming elections. :(
The problem here probably is that the left's dream have already been shattered.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

What's particularly frustrating is that the country will wind up trading mild disappointment with the economy for racist authoritarians. The prevailing wisdom seems to be Nazis are fine as long as they can keep gas under $3 a gallon.
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 5:33 pm What's particularly frustrating is that the country will wind up trading mild disappointment with the economy for racist authoritarians. The prevailing wisdom seems to be Nazis are fine as long as they can keep gas under $3 a gallon.
Which they can't, except by making corrupt deals with authoritarians abroad.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

If a pollster asked me straight up whether I approve or disapprove of Biden, I'd waffle. Probably 75% of my disapproval stems from Sinemanchin, and another 10-15% is due to economic circumstances beyond presidential control. That last 10-15%? That would be Biden's failure to bring Manchenima into line, his perceived weakness and possible cognitive decline in general, his failure to mount a culture war counteroffensive, and missteps on the Afghanistan withdrawal. In the plus column are the pandemic relief bill, the infrastructure bill, his handling of the Ukraine crisis, and a whole raft of wonky things that fly under the radar -- he's done considerable good at things that don't make headlines.

Biden has two more years to reverse popular opinion. That might actually be easier with a hostile Congress, when people see him as the last bulwark against the right wing. It's likely that the House will impeach him for imaginary offenses, for example; one hopes that blows up in their faces. But if his ratings are still in the toilet two years from now (assuming he's still alive and in office), Dems had better come up with a Plan B -- and Kamala ain't it.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:59 pm That last 10-15%? That would be Biden's failure to bring Manchenima into line, his perceived weakness and possible cognitive decline in general, his failure to mount a culture war counteroffensive, and missteps on the Afghanistan withdrawal.
Is there anything a president can do to discipline a rogue senator? Especially when the daily risk is that they'll jump ship and give the throne to McConnell?

We're seeing some signs that Biden's Ukraine support is building a narrative of strength. Obviously it's doing so materially, but substantial Ukrainian victories (and Russian collapse) in 2022 should give the Dems something to crow about if they're gutsy enough to claim it.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Holman wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:41 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 6:59 pm That last 10-15%? That would be Biden's failure to bring Manchenima into line, his perceived weakness and possible cognitive decline in general, his failure to mount a culture war counteroffensive, and missteps on the Afghanistan withdrawal.
Is there anything a president can do to discipline a rogue senator? Especially when the daily risk is that they'll jump ship and give the throne to McConnell?

We're seeing some signs that Biden's Ukraine support is building a narrative of strength. Obviously it's doing so materially, but substantial Ukrainian victories (and Russian collapse) in 2022 should give the Dems something to crow about if they're gutsy enough to claim it.
Yes, rallying NATO is strongly in the plus column. I also hope the 1/6 public hearings will move the needle next month. Not for Biden himself, but for the midterms. It's pretty clear that this is going to be a wave election for the House, but maybe not the Senate. If the Dems can pick up even two seats, that would make a huge difference for the rest of his presidency.

IDK enough about backstage politics to speculate about how Biden could spank Sinemanchen. It is still a democracy and POTUS can't just pull rank. Nixon would've threatened to gut their states (as he did to Mass. when it was the only state to go for McGovern). Johnson would've waved Jumbo at them. If Biden could use leverage or threats, he didn't, or at least not effectively, so he comes off as weak, and that's intolerable.

Biden still clings to bipartisanship and civility while the other side maneuvers to overturn democracy. I wish he would acknowledge the stakes and fight back, at least rhetorically.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I don't think people really disapprove of Joe directly. I think he is deeply unpopular as a President. I think folks generally think he is a decent person and is a steady hand. What people are really signaling IMO is disapproval *period*. We are a country that is in the middle of a monumental minoritarian takeover of power. And even in the midst of that the people winning are deeply angry because they aren't winning the 'culture war'. The left is angry because they win elections and nothing gets done. Everyone is completely fed up with our nations governance. And they should be.

We're a complete shit show. We can't solve problems. We can't even talk about our problems without getting in each others faces. Especially with an entire camp rejecting objective reality. In any case, Biden is the outlet for all of that - that's the job like it or not.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The upshot is that a non-trivial percentage of those indicating disapproval are likely to vote for Biden in 2024 (like Kraken) especially if his opponent is Trump. Not that he (and the Democrats) aren't in trouble, but that's worth bearing in mind.
Black Lives Matter.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm sitting here trying to determine whether the leaked end of Roe (and follow-on implications for same-sex marriage based on the opinion draft's rationale) might be enough to get team civilized society blue mobilized enough come November to prolong the inevitable fall...
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:27 pm I'm sitting here trying to determine whether the leaked end of Roe (and follow-on implications for same-sex marriage based on the opinion draft's rationale) might be enough to get team civilized society blue mobilized enough come November to prolong the inevitable fall...
With the combination of zero urgency on voting rights legislation and the continued GOP fuckery with said process, I’m not entirely sure it would matter even if it did finally get people off the sidelines.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I don't think it will. I think folks are going to start believing that elections aren't going to fix this nation.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Elections could help, but not with the kinds of candidates we've had.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, I don't really think this would be enough (since literally nothing would be enough in today's era). But I have to grasp at something.

Because we're fucked.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:19 pm I don't think it will. I think folks are going to start believing that elections aren't going to fix this nation.
I don't think we're there yet but I do think we are a cycle or two away from elections don't matter and I think the GOP loves this. :cry: It doesn't help my outlook when I am among those who disapprove POTUS but will vote for him and I disapprove of my rep and at least one of my senators (the other I simply don't know enough about, which gives him tacit approval) and will vote for them. I disapprove of my governor and will vote for her.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:10 am
malchior wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:19 pm I don't think it will. I think folks are going to start believing that elections aren't going to fix this nation.
I don't think we're there yet but I do think we are a cycle or two away from elections don't matter and I think the GOP loves this. :cry: It doesn't help my outlook when I am among those who disapprove POTUS but will vote for him and I disapprove of my rep and at least one of my senators (the other I simply don't know enough about, which gives him tacit approval) and will vote for them. I disapprove of my governor and will vote for her.
And yet we wonder why the cycle of decline continues.....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stessier

Post by stessier »

stimpy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:37 am
LordMortis wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:10 am
And yet we wonder why the cycle of decline continues.....
What do you mean? What he left unsaid is that he disapproves of the alternative candidate far, far more than the one he is voting for. What other choice is there?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:49 am What do you mean? What he left unsaid is that he disapproves of the alternative candidate far, far more than the one he is voting for. What other choice is there?
Forget any specific candidate. I disapprove what the other half of the establishment is collectively doing with the tacit or active approval and activity of the party they are in symbiosis with. Beginning the continuous evidence that they want to throw away my vote (literally) all together. What are choice is there but to fight against legally enforced disenfranchisement?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I just think that the whole "my party good, your party bad" mentality that permeates government and elections these days totally eliminates the possibility that there may be someone across the aisle that feels the same disillusion as you do. But because they arent in 'your" party, there is no consideration given to them at all.

The thought that every R is a Trump loving fanatic and every D is a Trump hating fanatic, "just because, is what will keep us here.
Just my opinion.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stimpy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:40 am I just think that the whole "my party good, your party bad" mentality that permeates government and elections these days totally eliminates the possibility that there may be someone across the aisle that feels the same disillusion as you do. But because they arent in 'your" party, there is no consideration given to them at all.

The thought that every R is a Trump loving fanatic and every D is a Trump hating fanatic, "just because, is what will keep us here.
Just my opinion.

I don't have a party but your party can pound sand and increasingly it looks like that is forever. They are currently only the violence part of being shy as bad as Putin. They bemoan cancel culture while trying to take away my vote entirely. The entire. fucking. party. My vote only matters in the primary. I must vote against the GOP at every level in every election.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stimpy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:40 am I just think that the whole "my party good, your party bad" mentality that permeates government and elections these days totally eliminates the possibility that there may be someone across the aisle that feels the same disillusion as you do. But because they arent in 'your" party, there is no consideration given to them at all.

Just my opinion.
This is the kind of nuance that works well when we don't have one party dedicated to power at all costs (and, moreover, using that power to trample the rights of others). It's the sort of viewpoint that I desperately would like to share with you. But it has no place in 2022 America. There is a correct party to support at present, and an incorrect party. And every elected official in the incorrect party is culpable at this stage of the game.

I mean, come on. This has been painfully obvious for years now.

Should America come out the other side of this dark timeline, then I'll be right there with you pushing for a 3+ party system comprising many varied viewpoints which I may or may not share. But that day is not today.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:51 am And every elected official in the incorrect party is culpable at this stage of the game.
This and should/when we fail, we'll all be culpable for their actions in our failure to keep them from seizing and holding that power. :cry:
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:45 am I don't have a party but your party can pound sand
Yeah....I'm the staunch Republican that voted for Carter, Clinton and Obama.......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stimpy wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:25 am
LordMortis wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:45 am I don't have a party but your party can pound sand
Yeah....I'm the staunch Republican that voted for Carter, Clinton and Obama.......
At this point, that's sophistry. The context you engaged my post with was
I just think that the whole "my party good, your party bad" mentality
Enjoy your game of shells.