Digital Storm computer specs.

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Lassr

Re: Digital Storm computer specs.

Post by Lassr »

TheMix wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:09 pm Mine came with the two main expansion bays already hooked for power and the motherboard. I just slotted in a SSD and pushed the bay back in.

Not sure it would have worked if the power needed to be one of the older 4 pin variety.

And I've got at least 2 more M2 connectors. So if I ever need more storage, it should be easy-peasy to add.
This one had the bays but the power was not already available. Had to run the SATA cable myself and find the power cable stuffed in the compartment.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Lassr wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:39 pm
Processor: Intel Core i5-12600K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (10-Core) 3.7 GHz (Alder Lake)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z690-P D4 (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z690 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI)
(DDR4) System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti GPU)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB (VR Ready)
Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan)
Quick question for anyone that can answer. Does the Asus Motherboard (Prime Z690PD4) wifi work well enough for online games or streaming(roblox, youtube), others in the future?

in short - we are looking to get a gaming computer for my son (11) he is pitching in everything he has. He is gaming now on an old Asus laptop (Ca. 2016?). This will be in his room with no direct ethernet plug - WiFi only.

I spec'd Lassr's computer almost exactly then I found this thread.

WHen researching the motherboard Silence tech & travel, it seems that the on-board WiFi supports up to WiFi6 (802.11ax)?

I am obviously not a DIY computer person - I know enough to be dangerous - so any help would be appreciated. I just do not want to have him get a dream computer and then have it not work for 1/2 of what he likes.

Thanks!

nonny
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
malchior

Post by malchior »

I have a MSI based machine with WiFi6 built in and I have a Asus WiFi6 router and I've had zero issues with speed/latency. It'll come down to whether you have a good WiFi6 router though even a 802.11AC router probably would be good enough for online gaming but throughput will be less.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Also think of reach. How far is it away from the main router and how many walls does it pass through. Ive had good routers over the years but in this old house none reach more than 1 room away with good speed. It drops to 1 bar only 2 or 3 rooms away. In the kitchen which is the other end of the house it comes and goes. Single floor house btw.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
A nonny mouse

Post by A nonny mouse »

Thanks for all the help! I need to check the modem/router (older At&T standard issue) for WiFi level.

The distance from his room to the modem/router is actually closer than the distance where the laptop currently is. still upstairs, but his room is closer-cater-corner to the router.

Hopefully we will be good. If nothing else, I will get the extender/booster or potentially upgrade the router.
I find television very educational. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book. - Groucho Marx
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I can't say how well Wifi works on the MB as this computer is the one that has a line run directly from the modem/router and not sure how well I could test it since the router is literally 6 inches from the computer. So hopefully the other answer help you out.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its funny as I can do a search for networks and I can see ALL my neighbors ones and yet mine barely reaches the toilet.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"