Vaporum (Steampunk Dungeon Crawler)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jolor

Vaporum (Steampunk Dungeon Crawler)

Post by Jolor »

Vaporum is a grid-based, single-player & single-character dungeon crawler RPG seen from the first person perspective in an original steampunk setting. Inspired by old-school games like Dungeon Master I and II, the Eye of the Beholder series, and the most recent Legend of Grimrock I and II. Stranded in the middle of an ocean, in front of a gigantic tower, the hero has to find out what the place is, what happened there, and most importantly, who he is.

I picked this up a while ago when it went on an unrecalled sale. Finally fired it up and am coming around on it. Playing as a scientist that uses elemental damage supplementing blunt weapons. Other options are to play as a strength or battle character (?) The puzzles are a mix of "need a key" / "slide the boxes to access a lever" & I'm relying on the map to show me areas I have yet to access or fully complete. The battles offer a good variety of foes who have different attacks/resistances; game's strength, imo. There are, a la Bioshock, notes and video recordings of tenants to provide a backstory.

I'm not doing a great job on selling the game but perhaps that's because I'm not ready to jump on that soapbox.

I'm sure others in the OO Universe have played and I'm curious on your thoughts.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.
Blackhawk

Re: Vaporum (Steampunk Dungeon Crawler)

Post by Blackhawk »

I have not, but for convenience: Vaporum
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I played this one for a bit, and enjoyed it. It was one where I wandered away to other games - not a knock on the game itself. It does have the feel of a steampunk Eye of the Beholder or Grimrock. I should probably cycle back to it sometime.

OO-er effidian wrote a review for it on steam and recommended it.

It must have done somewhat well, as it got a sequel/prequel made. Vaporum: Lockdown
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rushed off to buy this one as it sounds right up my alley...only to find I bought it a while back. :oops:
He won. Period.
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

I'm at the Librarian level. Story is starting to come together. Puzzles & objectives are still (to me) obscure but I'm making my way through. Definitely still challenged and intrigued.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

FWIW it’s been on my wishlist for…years. :D
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:37 pm FWIW it’s been on my wishlist for…years. :D
FWIW GOG Feb2022 CDN$6.39 ... been in the backlog for 15 months :)
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Just coming back to report that I finished this up on the weekend and did enjoy it.

I wasted a few skill points until I settled on my play style, got into the rhythm of the battles and puzzles, and started paying attention to ways to unlock secret rooms which often had improved weaponry.

Story was revealed by reading notes or playing audio recordings. Fairly standard in that regard but the voice acting was pretty good.

I'd rate it between 70 - 75 points, or a "recommend if you like the genre".