USB hub that doesn't suck?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

USB hub that doesn't suck?

Post by Blackhawk »

After three duds in a row, I'd like to solicit some suggestions for a USB hub that isn't junk. It isn't for gaming. I have one PC in the bedroom by my workbench/crafting table. It's an antique system, and it is under the desk, but I need a few bits and bobs available above the desk. For the most part, all that it's supporting is a keyboard dongle, a mouse dongle, and a USB 3.0 wifi adapter.

All I need is that it is relatively cheap, reliable, doesn't have a dinky, short little cable, and isn't covered with blinding, bright-blue LEDs (this is a bedroom.)

/edit - wall mountable with forward facing ports would be a big plus.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Re: USB hub that doesn't suck?

Post by TheMix »

I've been using an Atolla hub for the last couple of years. I haven't had any issues with it. It is probably more than you need, but maybe they have a cheaper option with less features?

I specifically wanted one that came with a separate power supply that I could also plug into a USB 3.0 port on my computer for better performance. I think I used double-sided tape to stick it to my desk.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:22 am I've been using an Atolla hub for the last couple of years. I haven't had any issues with it. It is probably more than you need, but maybe they have a cheaper option with less features?

I specifically wanted one that came with a separate power supply that I could also plug into a USB 3.0 port on my computer for better performance. I think I used double-sided tape to stick it to my desk.
My son has the same hub. The only issue I have is the blinding blue LEDs, which would go badly on the wall of my bedroom (and I really don't want to have to crawl under my desk to plug/unplug it every single time I turn use the PC.)
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

It has buttons next to each outlet so you can individually power them off, it's only lit when it's on.

Atolla makes a different one that has fewer lights (4 Port USB 3.0 Ultra Slim Data Hub), but it's highly unlikely that you will find one without any lights that's not a cheap Chinese knockoff.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

:confusion-shrug:

We apparently have different definitions of "blinding".

Good luck with your search.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gilraen wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:10 pm It has buttons next to each outlet so you can individually power them off, it's only lit when it's on.
I have the same one Mix linked (it even has my "Last purchased Nov 21, 2020." at the top of the page), and the lights are permanently on regardless of the toggles. I checked that first. ;)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

TheMix wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:11 pm :confusion-shrug:

We apparently have different definitions of "blinding".

Good luck with your search.
In a bedroom with blackout curtains drawn and all of the lights off, almost any blue LED becomes extremely bright.
Last edited by Blackhawk on Wed May 11, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I did find this one, which seems to have LEDs where they can be covered up, but the reviews are all over the place, and not terribly reliable (ReviewMeta knocks it down by a full half star.)

I honestly don't get the fascination with bright blue LEDs. I get the need to know power status, but some of them - like the Atolla - seem to go out of their way to make it as glowy as possible. It's hard to keep my computer area from looking like a Christmas tree.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've kind of been wanting to know too, as I've been considering getting one for my PS4. 2 USB ports isn't enough these days with all that I'm plugging them into, ie charging the controller/headset, one which is always used for the headset's transmitter, and for the external drive. Newer consoles should have more ports than 2. But reviews for ones I've looked at that have stated as being PS4 compatible then go on to say they don't support things like drives.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:18 pm I did find this one, which seems to have LEDs where they can be covered up, but the reviews are all over the place, and not terribly reliable (ReviewMeta knocks it down by a full half star.)

I honestly don't get the fascination with bright blue LEDs. I get the need to know power status, but some of them - like the Atolla - seem to go out of their way to make it as glowy as possible. It's hard to keep my computer area from looking like a Christmas tree.
Electrical tape over the LEDs?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

gbasden wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:30 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:18 pm I did find this one, which seems to have LEDs where they can be covered up, but the reviews are all over the place, and not terribly reliable (ReviewMeta knocks it down by a full half star.)

Electrical tape over the LEDs?
I have dimmers that work for most LEDs, but that Atolla - along with a lot of other USB hubs - put the LEDs behind a clear plastic bit that outlines the entire slot. There's no way to cover them.

I was just hoping someone knew of a simple USB hub that was reliable (that's the thing I keep failing on - like I said, I've had three duds in a row), and maybe just had a nice, red power on light rather than a separate bright blue LED for each and every slot.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Kiddo has this one with a webcam, Yeti mic, and wifi adapter in it. Cable is 3 feet but replaceable.One small blue led dot, easily covered. It's worked well for her.
www.amazon.com/dp/B07RM6QWHP/

I have this on one of the Nucs. Only 3 ports but has card readers. 2.5 foot cable, I think it's attached but I have a drawer full of USB extension cables. Small blue LED dot.
www.amazon.com/dp/B083W6VH1S/

Edit because BBCode was getting funky with Amazon links.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

These dimmers have been a huge boon. I really, really get tired of looking across the living room when I'm watching a movie in the dark, or in the bedroom when I'm ready for bed and seeing a dozen (or two dozen, or more), colored lights scattered all over.

I'm
not
alone.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:10 pm
gilraen wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:10 pm It has buttons next to each outlet so you can individually power them off, it's only lit when it's on.
I have the same one Mix linked (it even has my "Last purchased Nov 21, 2020." at the top of the page), and the lights are permanently on regardless of the toggles. I checked that first. ;)
I have two of their 4 port hubs and just went down to check. turning them off definitely turns the lights off for me on both of mine. Maybe yours is defective or you aren't holding the button for a couple seconds to actually turn it off?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...and yes I totally agree that blue LEDs are a menace.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:31 pm you aren't holding the button for a couple seconds to actually turn it off?
Wait... you can do that? :shock:

So, uh... yeah. They turn off. It was a complex hardware workaround that I discovered on the internet.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

:dance:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I have this one from Anker. Anker 4-Port USB 3.0 Unibody Aluminum Portable Data Hub with 2ft USB 3.0 Cable

Have it for a little more than 4 years now. Still working completely good.
the only light is a small green power light, could be easily covered if needed.

No troubles with looseness or slowness. Its metal, and seems really solidly built.
the back is flat, comes with velcro for attaching.

Its not a powered hub, so its best for data, won't quick charge a phone, just slow charge. I use it for thumbsticks, headphones, and control pad.

attached cable is only 2 feet long though. but a usb3 cable extention will work

Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Jay linked this but didn't add the url tags so it didn't show.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O0KISQE/

You'd think they'd make it longer than 2 foot. Thats barely enough to reach the front of the case.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:03 am After three duds in a row, I'd like to solicit some suggestions for a USB hub that isn't junk. It isn't for gaming. I have one PC in the bedroom by my workbench/crafting table. It's an antique system, and it is under the desk, but I need a few bits and bobs available above the desk. For the most part, all that it's supporting is a keyboard dongle, a mouse dongle, and a USB 3.0 wifi adapter.

All I need is that it is relatively cheap, reliable, doesn't have a dinky, short little cable, and isn't covered with blinding, bright-blue LEDs (this is a bedroom.)

/edit - wall mountable with forward facing ports would be a big plus.
I would echo Jaymon's sentiments. Broadly speaking, most Anker products in my experience have proven to be remarkably reliable. Though they are a wee bit pricier as a result. But as you've already discovered, cheapest can be dearest.

Also, the Wirecutter recommends a couple of different Anker models in their write-up on The Best USB Hubs.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:10 pm
Then you don't have the same one. I'm looking at mine now. I have 1 port shut off, and the associated led light is definitely off.

Edit: Please ignore. I should have read a bit more... Sorry about that. (Though, it's worth noting that even when off, I do see a tiny bit of bleed from the ones on either side that are on.)
Last edited by TheMix on Wed May 11, 2022 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lives Matter

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

*Cough*. Yeah, I addressed that above. :oops:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:19 pm *Cough*. Yeah, I addressed that above. :oops:
Sheesh. Give a guy a chance to actually finish reading the rest of the thread.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I have a few of these, they do have blue lights behind the button that illuminates around the button when on, so it's not a glaring light but my room is not pitch dark either. The blue light is off when the button is not pushed in.
Sabrent 4 Port
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I bought Tripp-Lites for work and brought one home at the start of the pandemic. It hasn't given me any trouble.