The 501st

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

Re: The 501st

Post by hepcat »

One more word out of any of youse guys and Lawnboy is turning this into a Furries Fan thread!

<one day that's going to work>
He won. Period.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:30 am Anyway, I've said my piece, I've argued my point. I'm moving on.
This is the way.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Unagi wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:02 am
msduncan wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:07 pm So, we are coming out of the pandemic finally (at least in terms of trooping activity anyway...). I have just acquired a nearly finished costume and I'm putting the finishing touches on it. I had to order a few things to finish it up, and it needs strapping. Within a few weeks, hopefully, I'll be able to roll this one out.

Enlarge Image
… a Mandalorian…?
The Mandalorian (Din Djarin) - Pre-Beskar just after he gets the beksar shoulder.
Last edited by msduncan on Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:43 am The thing I like about OO is that we're a relatively grown-up group who can seethe at a person in R&P and talk movies, games, or costuming with them in the next room over. Some of the worst moments in OO history have come when people decided that someone was such a problem that they followed them from subforum to subforum making sure they knew it.

IANAM, but if you don't like someone's politics, tell them in R&P. If you despise them so much that when you see them in a different discussion you can't reply without calling their politics into it, don't reply.

Personally, I have enjoyed this thread quite a bit. I'd rather not see MSD driven away from it (despite how I might feel about his politics.)
It's one of the things I love about OO as well. I like all of you guys outside of R&P, so I have learned to just not go there so I can enjoy what you post here in EBG and gaming, etc.
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:30 am Anyway, I've said my piece, I've argued my point. I'm moving on.

Love the armor, by the way. I have a friend who recently moved to Texas. He and his husband have been very interested in joining the Mandalorian branch of the 501st (I forget the name) since long before The Mandalorian was released. I remember the amount of research they were putting into it - it's a lot more than just throwing on a costume.
There are two things here:

- The 501st have a detachment that covers bounty hunters. These are bounty hunters that appear in the movies, shows, or the universe somewhere.
- The Mandalorian Mercs is a sister organization where people can build custom Mandalorians. They are just as picky as the 501st in terms of fit and visual components. There are costumes that cross over both and can have dual membership of course. The Mercs have a lot of fun at conventions because they raise money (for charity) by having people come up and make a donation to have some mercs go out and 'arrest' another person and bring them back to a makeshift jail cell for 5 minutes. It's fun.

Edit: They also show up with the 501st at events too
It's 34 bowl victories.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

msduncan wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:36 pm

Love the armor, by the way. I have a friend who recently moved to Texas. He and his husband have been very interested in joining the Mandalorian branch of the 501st (I forget the name) since long before The Mandalorian was released. I remember the amount of research they were putting into it - it's a lot more than just throwing on a costume.

- The 501st have a detachment that covers bounty hunters. These are bounty hunters that appear in the movies, shows, or the universe somewhere.
- The Mandalorian Mercs is a sister organization where people can build custom Mandalorians. They are just as picky as the 501st in terms of fit and visual components. There are costumes that cross over both and can have dual membership of course. The Mercs have a lot of fun at conventions because they raise money (for charity) by having people come up and make a donation to have some mercs go out and 'arrest' another person and bring them back to a makeshift jail cell for 5 minutes. It's fun.

I assume that there are rebel / Republic groups as well, right? Do they fraternize much at conventions or otherwise?
Black Lives Matter.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:34 pm
msduncan wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:36 pm

I assume that there are rebel / Republic groups as well, right? Do they fraternize much at conventions or otherwise?
Yes. The good guys are the Rebel Legion. They are almost always with the 501st, and many in the 501st have dual membership. My Mando is one of the few costumes that might be able to be approved in both organizations. (actually all three - but I'm going to start with the 501st)
It's 34 bowl victories.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im watching a live stream from Austria at a comic con and the 501st is there.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote:
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:43 am The thing I like about OO is that we're a relatively grown-up group who can seethe at a person in R&P and talk movies, games, or costuming with them in the next room over. Some of the worst moments in OO history have come when people decided that someone was such a problem that they followed them from subforum to subforum making sure they knew it.

IANAM, but if you don't like someone's politics, tell them in R&P. If you despise them so much that when you see them in a different discussion you can't reply without calling their politics into it, don't reply.

Personally, I have enjoyed this thread quite a bit. I'd rather not see MSD driven away from it (despite how I might feel about his politics.)
It's one of the things I love about OO as well. I like all of you guys outside of R&P, so I have learned to just not go there so I can enjoy what you post here in EBG and gaming, etc.
I'm glad you didn't pack up in a huff either. I love this thread and that you are still part of the community.

People before politics, and even stormtroopers can be people :)

Does the Emperor just need a hug (or a nice Beskar Helmet, his hoodie - robe is SO last millennium...)?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

msduncan wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:42 pm Yes. The good guys are the Rebel Legion. They are almost always with the 501st, and many in the 501st have dual membership. My Mando is one of the few costumes that might be able to be approved in both organizations. (actually all three - but I'm going to start with the 501st)
Since this seems like a great opportunity to make fan-fic videos, I assume people are probably doing that. Do you know any links?

One of the formative experiences of my life was going to see Star Wars on opening day. I was eight years old, but I still so vividly remember leaning over to my dad and whispering "I want to see this again!" when the Stormtroopers cut through the hatch and began a firefight with Rebel Troopers on what we all later learned was the Tantive IV.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Mr Fed's Twitter post today had me thinking about this thread as I did my spit take of coffee in the morning! :coffee:

Problem with doing a courtcall from a car in the parking lot of the train station is you might be in the middle of taking when you are distracted by a dude walking by in a shirt that says STORMPOOPER with a imperial stormtrooper on the toilet

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Let's be careful out there folks!
Transit police with the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority received a call about a person armed with a long rifle at the Back Bay train station on Friday around 6 pm ET, according to a tweet from the agency’s official account.

But the rifle in question wasn’t real at all, said police.

“Officers located a person in character as ‘Boba Fett” w/a replica firearm,” the agency wrote on twitter. “Officers conversed with the individual & the scene was safe.”

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:06 pm Let's be careful out there folks!
Transit police with the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority received a call about a person armed with a long rifle at the Back Bay train station on Friday around 6 pm ET, according to a tweet from the agency’s official account.

“Officers located a person in character as ‘Boba Fett” w/a replica firearm,” the agency wrote on twitter. “Officers conversed with the individual & the scene was safe.”
Just wait until the first mass shooter goes wild at a Comic Con. Or the first shooter goes wild at a 501st event.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You would think people would know this but want recognition as much as the guy carrying this.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:00 pm
Pyperkub wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:06 pm Let's be careful out there folks!

Just wait until the first mass shooter goes wild at a Comic Con. Or the first shooter goes wild at a 501st event.
I've seen a few event guidelines that prohibit any remotely realistic looking weapons. Star Wars is problematic because most of the guns in the originally trilogy were just decommissioned real firearms with a little prop-work.

Oh, yeah, I heard the Chicagp Comicon had a weapons check-in table where they inspect before they're allowed in. So maybe some realism.is allowed, if it's inspected?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I remember bringing a real, tho ceremonial sword as part of a Renaissance Faire outfit, and they did the "peace" wrapping on it when entering.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Most cons with cosplay have weapon inspection.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Most banks don’t want you bringing real guns in either
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Totally tangential but this thread is stoking my desire to join the SCA.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Madmarcus wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:03 pm Totally tangential but this thread is stoking my desire to join the SCA.
Every time I re-lookup what the SCA is, I need to get over my immediate disappointment of there not being a Society for Creative Acronyms.