Post by naednek »

Well my city is back in the national news again just 2 blocks from where I work

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article260065985.html

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Skinypupy

Re: Shootings

Post by Skinypupy »

11 shot, one killed at concert last night in Dallas.

If only we had more good guys with guns. Alas.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN: All 6 victims killed in the Sacramento mass shooting are identified as police arrest a suspect
Dandrae Martin, 26, was identified as a "related suspect" and was booked on assault and illegal firearm possession charges, according to a release from Sacramento police.
During the initial investigation, detectives found more than 100 shell casings and discovered at least three buildings and three cars that had been hit by bullets.
Police served search warrants at three homes and at least one handgun was recovered. Authorities said they have received more than 100 video or photo files in a tip portal.

Police Chief Katherine Lester said Sunday there were multiple shooters and a large fight occurred before the gunfire.

The Sacramento County Coroner's Office on Monday identified the six victims who died:
-- Johntaya Alexander, 21
-- Melinda Davis, 57
-- Sergio Harris, 38
-- Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32
-- Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21
-- Devazia Turner, 29
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, there seem to be more suspects to be arrested if all they got was a single handgun (compared with hundreds of shell casings).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Pyperkub wrote:Yeah, there seem to be more suspects to be arrested if all they got was a single handgun (compared with hundreds of shell casings).
In the audio that was captured you can hear return fire. One of the victims was a homeless person.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
malchior

Post by malchior »

There was a mass shooting this morning on the NYC Subway in Brooklyn. The whys are unknown at the moment. Apparently smoke was deployed on the platform so folks are leaning terrorism but way off any sort of confirmation of that just yet. Luckily it seems no one was killed despite quite a few people shot.

AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

That's not too far from my home. My wife could see the helicopters overhead for hours afterward, and my son's school had to shelter in place for a while (he picked a good day to stay home sick).

Seems more like a crazy-person-with-a-gun than an act of terrorism or hate, but who knows these days.
malchior

Post by malchior »

It does appear to be a crazy guy who went to weird lengths. NYC is really is having a rough time with the subways again. It's hardly the 70s down there but with the random slashings, folks pushed in front of trains (my sister was a colleague of the one from Deloitte killed in the Times Square incident in January), and now this? The system and the city itself have work to do to restore confidence.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

And Mr. James has been apprehended.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/nyc-police-se ... d=84051890
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
malchior

Post by malchior »

I think one thing we learned is that NYC has some problems ahead. Eric Adam's answer to all this are half-thought hot takes. He offered up 'special' metal detectors at stations and doubling police on patrol, I guess that is what swagger is. Half-asses ideas. In reality they pretty much indicate that he is overmatched by the job. They aren't serious suggestions. The first is impractical, expensive, and would take years. The second doesn't even really address an identified gap. You can't have enough officers on every train in NYC. There were officers present at the station and in the chaos the guy slipped away past them, their radios didn't work, they got no suspect description, etc.

Edit: This clip is great. They basically are arguing that the NYPD is funded at levels that'd make it the 24th biggest military in the world but it failed utterly. In fact, they didn't even find this guy. People reported him on social media over and over this afternoon until he got picked up. But sure. Double the police. That'll fix it. I was in Manhattan last week in mid-town. The description of cops staring at their cell phones doing absolutely nothing is dead on accurate.

malchior

Post by malchior »

NYC shooter called in the tip on himself

Still it took them an hour and a bystander pointing him out to find them. In Manhattan. About 3 blocks from the local precinct. I'm seeing the NYPD getting savaged by the locals for incompetence.
The man suspected of shooting 10 people on a subway train in Brooklyn on Tuesday called in a tip to Crime Stoppers that led to his capture Wednesday, two law enforcement sources told CNN.

Frank James, 62, was arrested without incident by patrol officers in Manhattan's East Village neighborhood on Wednesday afternoon, officials said.
James called in the tip and told authorities he was at a McDonald's on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, the sources confirmed. He essentially told police he saw his face on the news and knew he was wanted, the sources said.
He told the operator he would be inside the restaurant charging his phone but could not provide his phone number, a senior law enforcement source said. The call dropped moments later and was followed by a 911 call from another person who said they had spotted James, one of the two sources told CNN.

Patrol officers arrived at the McDonald's but did not see him, the sources said. Just down the block, they came across a bystander who flagged James to them, the senior law enforcement source said. James was in custody by roughly 1:40 p.m ET, about an hour after he made his call.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Does he get the reward? I think it was $50k, unless I'm mixing that up with another shooting. There are so many
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hmmm, I wonder if he has a connection to anyone here on OO that's always suggesting my state stinks? :wink:
In a series of videos, 62-year-old Frank R. James, talked about how he planned to pack up his apartment and hire a U-Haul van in Philadelphia, according to a reports by the Independent and Daily Beast. On March 29, James said he checked into a Best Western in Bordentown. (The motel is on Route 206 south, in Bordentown Township.)

”Here I am, back, back, back in the place where all my troubles started,” James said in one of the videos. ”The state of f***ing stinking New Jersey, sitting here in Bordentown the next couple of days. And as you saw, the end of my journey, or part of the end of my journey, in Philadelphia, at my storage facility, getting everything put away.”
Can't wait to hear how this all came about. It seems like this guy should have been red-flagged for any number of things a long time ago, but I guess at least it's good they did get him now.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

I can definitely see Bordentown inspiring a mass shooting.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

12 injured, 3 people detained after shooting at South Carolina mall, police say
Twelve people were injured and three people have been detained following a shooting at a Columbia, South Carolina, mall on Saturday afternoon, police said.
The incident occurred on the premises of Columbiana Centre Mall, said Columbia Police Chief William H. "Skip" Holbrook. There were no fatalities reported from the shooting, he said.
Holbrook said three armed people were detained by police, although it is not clear how many people actually fired a weapon. Police believe the shooting was not a random attack, he added.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Again, with South Carolina. WTF

News story
“Witnesses indicated that multiple vehicles pulled into the parking lot, where a physical altercation took place, followed by dozens of gunshots,” Jacobs said. “Several youth baseball games were underway when this incident occurred. This incident tonight had nothing to do with the Park, youth athletes, parents or coaches. Thankfully no injuries were reported.”

Blake Ferguson was recording the game as his son was on the pitching mound at Pepperhill Ball Field at approximately 8:45 p.m, WCSC reports. His video captured the sound of multiple shots, sending children and officials running for cover. He said he heard between 50 to 75 shots and believes the gunfire happened in the parking lot.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

as American as Baseball and HIT-THE-DECK!!!!!!

what the fuck went down there? Are there other reports on this?

https://www.live5news.com/2022/04/26/gu ... harleston/
A police report released Tuesday states witnesses told responding officers that a “large group” of teenagers pulled into the parking lot and began fistfighting. Witnesses then told officers the teenagers began shooting at each other before they fled in their vehicles where it appeared shots were fired from one vehicle towards another, the report states.

50 - 75 rounds in under a minute, fired by teenagers fighting in the parking lot.

What a great country of freedom we have. Hope you all enjoy your hobby.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

At least one news report mentions that the ball field is in what is locally considered a high crime area, so maybe it was gang-related? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I mean, sure - a bunch of teenagers fighting in the parking lot, loaded with firearms and ammunition. That's almost the definition of a gang fight. But this is Charleston SC, not Chiraq... that's gotta be pretty significant in the community, I would think... But I'm not a local, so yeah.... /shrug
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm guilty of it as well, but there tends to be this attitude (particularly locally) that gang-related shootings are somehow OK. People will panic and say "Did you hear about the mass shooting downtown???" Then they find out it's gang-related and dismiss it. As if gang bullets will somehow magically never hit innocent bystanders.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:46 am I'm guilty of it as well, but there tends to be this attitude (particularly locally) that gang-related shootings are somehow OK. People will panic and say "Did you hear about the mass shooting downtown???" Then they find out it's gang-related and dismiss it. As if gang bullets will somehow magically never hit innocent bystanders.
Gang shootings are problematic because the guns didn't get up and start shooting people on their own. We have mass shootings at least a couple of times a week here but it never makes national news. Because it's usually "bad" people shooting at other "bad" people. But when it's a white guy shooting up a Walmart in rural America it's clearly the gun's fault and it makes the national news opening montage.

We definitely have a gun problem but we also have a huge dialogue problem. And thus nothing will change.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:46 am I'm guilty of it as well, but there tends to be this attitude (particularly locally) that gang-related shootings are somehow OK. People will panic and say "Did you hear about the mass shooting downtown???" Then they find out it's gang-related and dismiss it. As if gang bullets will somehow magically never hit innocent bystanders.
Or as if kids wrapped up in gangs are not really worth a decent person's concern.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

For me, it's that they are gang members, which implies that they're criminals from jump. They likely didn't acquire the guns through a purchase from Academy Sports and Outdoors. The guns were likely acquired illegally. And, until you find a way to address those who are transferring those weapons, chasing them at street level is theater.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

And I feel like we are so awash with firearms, it's really a joke to think we could keep them "off the streets".
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

The Land of the Free and the Home of Run for your Life!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Unagi wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:01 pm And I feel like we are so awash with firearms, it's really a joke to think we could keep them "off the streets".
More kids report carrying handguns, with largest rise among white, wealthy, and rural teens
The Boston College study comes as firearm deaths replaced auto accidents as the leading killer of children, according to the latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Another school shooting in Texas. I think this is the 3rd shooting in a month...2 in Texas schools. Little kids are dead yet again in Republican gun lovin Texas. I think Texas wants to ban abortion so they'll have targets for guns a few years later.

Multiple fatalities, including several children, after 'active shooter' incident at Texas elementary school: Sources
Multiple people are dead, including several children, after an "active shooter" incident at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, law enforcement sources told ABC News.

Multiple sources told ABC News the suspect is dead.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

The latest number is that 14 children and 1 teacher are dead.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

still, just unthinkable, even though I've been asked to think of it now for years.

so sad.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

msteelers wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:55 pm The latest number is that 14 children and 1 teacher are dead.
If the needle didn't move for Sandy Hook, I'm afraid this won't even register - which is horrific to write and to think.

What an absolute tragedy.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:02 pm
msteelers wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:55 pm The latest number is that 14 children and 1 teacher are dead.
If the needle didn't move for Sandy Hook, I'm afraid this won't even register - which is horrific to write and to think.

What an absolute tragedy.
I agree, unfortunately.

Time to go get my kid out of daycare and squeeze her extra tight. I don't know how we're going to get through sending her to school in a few years.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Incoming thoughts and prayers and no actions taken. I am beyond disgusted at this country. Just blame it on mental health and do nothing concerning guns.

Let the cycle continue.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

WYBaugh wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:06 pm Incoming thoughts and prayers and no actions taken. I am beyond disgusted at this country. Just blame it on mental health and do nothing concerning guns.

Let the cycle continue.
You left out do nothing about mental health.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Alefroth wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:18 pm You left out do nothing about mental health.
What part of "prayers" do you not understand?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Then you have this asshole

""
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Time to go get my kid out of daycare and squeeze her extra tight. I don't know how we're going to get through sending her to school in a few years.
Theres so many of these in the last couple decades Im thankful I went to school when I did. I fear for kids this day and it will only be worse as more time passes. No telling what bad stuff is to come or where a targeted place may become a fad to do it. I was afraid when the theater shooting happened it would start a trend there too. That was 2012 and I dont recall any more.
malchior

Post by malchior »

WYBaugh wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:06 pm Incoming thoughts and prayers and no actions taken. I am beyond disgusted at this country.
Same. This is not a great country. It isn't even a good country. What other nation would watch it's children be murdered regularly at school and do nothing. Nothing at all.

Edit: And here go with this absolute horse shit. It doesn't matter if there were signs. If we stop this one, there is another one the next day. "Reflexive reaction"? Heaven forbid we react to another 14 dead elementary school children snuffed out on a Tuesday afternoon.
GOP Sen. Thom Tillis warned Democrats against having a “reflexive reaction” in the wake of the Texas school shooting that left 15 people dead, by trying to pass laws that would impinge on Second Amendment rights, saying he is confident in the coming days it will be learned that there were “signs” the 18-year-old shooter was “at risk.”
Edit 2: Too bad the good guy with a gun didn't work out this time. Maybe next time.

Last edited by malchior on Tue May 24, 2022 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I shouldn't be surprised but Fox is doing a lot of heavy lifting for evil tonight. These schools are "soft targets". Are you kidding me?

Edit: Meta note I don't know if the sync if off but this almost feels like a parody. The audio is off just enough that it feels like it could be someone dubbing 'The Onion' level irony on this. Unfortunately it is just fucked up beyond belief real commentary from a broken human being.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yes fencing is at fault. The shooter is a victim. Typical right sided bullshit.