V Rising

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

rittchard

V Rising

Post by rittchard »

Coming out in Early Access on Steam tomorrow (5/17/22):

Looks kind of interesting. I’ve been following it a while but I don’t have a really good sense of the gameplay since I was too lazy to actually watch the videos.

Note it does say “solo offline” as well as “multiplayer” so please no “multiplayer…ugh” responses. Too soon??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
coopasonic

Re: V Rising

Post by coopasonic »

Looks kind of interesting. I am curious how online works, but not curious enough to check it out before it is released. I really need to stay away from early access games. It is still hard for me to stop going back to satisfactory again and again after hundreds of hours.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

rittchard wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:05 pm Coming out in Early Access on Steam tomorrow (5/17/22):

Looks kind of interesting. I’ve been following it a while but I don’t have a really good sense of the gameplay since I was too lazy to actually watch the videos.

Note it does say “solo offline” as well as “multiplayer” so please no “multiplayer…ugh” responses. Too soon??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Vampires......ugh.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

stimpy wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:57 pm
rittchard wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:05 pm Coming out in Early Access on Steam tomorrow (5/17/22):

Vampires......ugh.
Bravo
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Added
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

This game fails to deliver on invading space lizards. And where's Marc Singer?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What he said. And dont forget the suede gloves.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Genghis

Post by Genghis »

Anyone else pick this up? Have no interest in PVP, but wouldn't mind joining a PVE server.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I was watching Splattercat playing it yesterday and he said even in solo play you had to create a server and connect to it
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The devs have said that they will be adding an offline mode in the very near future. I'm interested in the game, but I'm holding off until they implement the offline option.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Genghis wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:41 pm Anyone else pick this up? Have no interest in PVP, but wouldn't mind joining a PVE server.
I've got it. Been digging it so far. I do feel the default crafting rates are pretty brutal (20 seconds for a stone brick, for example, and 10 bricks per wall). I juiced the production rates 5x and have had a much better time.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:51 pm I'm interested in the game, but I'm holding off until they implement the offline option.
You can play on a local server which is basically offline. The only thing I would hope an offline mode adds is the ability to skip to dusk. Waiting through the day kind of sucks. You can roam around in the daytime, but too much time in the sun and you are toast.

I am only maybe 90 minutes in so far and while I can see how it gets compared to Valheim, the crafting requirements seems a bit excessive. See Fret's comment on crafting times, though for the most part those are passive, you can load the resources up and go out exploring. I'm also not a huge fan of having to feed my castle. :P Regardless, I am finding it interesting, but I am pretty sure I will bail for Sniper Elite 5 in a few days and come back to it later.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Genghis

Post by Genghis »

Put a bunch of hours into this past weekend and overall I am really enjoying it. For the most part crafting is pretty engaging, nothing too excessive so far. If you play on a personal server you can adjust many of the settings to your liking. I have a personal game where i increased the stack size of the inventory, If I had to do it over again, i might reduce the mining/harvesting rates by a bit if that is an option.
The production times in the machines are a bit long, but you can just build more smelters/refiners. Typically build 3-6, and they are for the most part pretty cheap.
It has a fairly large array of bosses to kill and different environments to explore. The bosses also seems to scale dynamically with players. If one person is fighting a boss it will spawn x adds, with each additional play spawning additional adds. It may affect them in other ways as well. One other nice feature is the NPC factions fight one another. It is not uncommon to find two factions killing one another. You can lure wandering bosses to each other to have them nuke each other down, then clean up the survivors.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Played this a lot over the weekend. I'm still in the first major area (woods) and have not proceeded to the farm lands. I have beat maybe 6 or seven bosses so far. I like the crafting and its no bother for times. I hadn't really thought it was slow. I just built two of the Forge, Grinder and Sawmills. Everything else is singles. I am currently a little stuck on the boss that unlocks Sulphur production. I have a couple friends playing and we setup a PVE server with Host Havoc. It was very cheap since its a very lightweight server (resource wise). The thing can reboot in like 30 seconds.

So far I like it as much or more than Valhiem; though the building is less creative and more about decor. I enjoy the mechanics of feeding and blood types and quality. The combat is a lot more challenging and better balanced. I have a lot of fun trying different combos of weapons and vampire powers/spells. I like the combat styles and moves of all the weapons (you unlock more moves with higher quality weapons). Overall, its a more thrilling game. I don't see the need to add an option for sleeping through the day. There is a lot of tension in crossing lands in the daylight, sticking to the shadows and running as a wolf, trying not to get burned.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:22 pm Played this a lot over the weekend. I'm still in the first major area (woods) and have not proceeded to the farm lands. I have beat maybe 6 or seven bosses so far. I like the crafting and its no bother for times. I hadn't really thought it was slow. I just built two of the Forge, Grinder and Sawmills. Everything else is singles. I am currently a little stuck on the boss that unlocks Sulphur production. I have a couple friends playing and we setup a PVE server with Host Havoc. It was very cheap since its a very lightweight server (resource wise). The thing can reboot in like 30 seconds.

So far I like it as much or more than Valhiem; though the building is less creative and more about decor. I enjoy the mechanics of feeding and blood types and quality. The combat is a lot more challenging and better balanced. I have a lot of fun trying different combos of weapons and vampire powers/spells. I like the combat styles and moves of all the weapons (you unlock more moves with higher quality weapons). Overall, its a more thrilling game. I don't see the need to add an option for sleeping through the day. There is a lot of tension in crossing lands in the daylight, sticking to the shadows and running as a wolf, trying not to get burned.
First, on skipping daytime, now that I am more comfortable with the game and have a castle with a roof, I agree that it is not necessary. Things are pretty risky early when you don't really have a safe space, but it is just more motivation to build a castle quickly (once you get your hands on the 4 whetstones necessary to get started).

I think I only have one boss left in the starting area, the Fae that gives garden floors. I almost took her out when I ran across her on accident so I thin k I can take her down in another try or two. Nice part is the area of that fight doesn't have many adds other than what she summons. For the sulphur guy I had to clear the whole space out right at dusk so I had time and space to take him down.

One day I will actually use ANY of the skills. I basically just use the spears left click attack 99% of the time, maybe using a crossbow to pull when I think of it. I have captured one human and just need to build the throne to boss him around. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I have had to use almost all of the skills. Some combos work better than others, and if you have the right set, you get an ultimate move combo. I do agree that the spear and its multi-attack is really useful for a lot of things. Its probably my go to most of the time, with the crossbow for ranged sniping. Fights difficulties are definitely harder with more people involved. The bosses are tougher and it multiplies any adds. But it can really help if the boss has complicated tactics and cycles. Sux when a third party isn't really geared well enough, or is having an off night. Or if I am..

Progress-wise - I have a second castle up in the farmlands now. The area is very dangerous for me and I am close to a road that at least three named bosses traverse regularly along with seemingly infinite groups of militia. I beat the sulphur/fire boss, Clive, on Monday night with two friends helping. The key for us was clearing out the area (of all adds and explosive charges), and then tanking him down in the open area where we could stay maneuverable. So, similar tactics to what you did. Last night I beat the Putrid Rat and Ferocious Bear bosses, and Polora the Feywalker, with just one friend (my house mate) helping. We got the Bear on the first try. Then, we died a few times trying to take the Bandit King. My house mate then tapped out; so I stayed up and died a couple more times until I was able to take him out during a Blood Moon. I put my iron ore on to smelt and went to bed. Tonight we are probably gonna make some attempts at Nicholaus so we can unlock the next research tier. We're pretty sure he's in the Forgotten Cemetery, but haven't tracked him enough to triangulate him. Haven't seen him roaming. Then it will be on to the farmlands.
Last edited by Cylus Maxii on Wed May 25, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Genghis wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:18 am One other nice feature is the NPC factions fight one another. It is not uncommon to find two factions killing one another. You can lure wandering bosses to each other to have them nuke each other down, then clean up the survivors.
I was able to kite a treant and a rock golem into a battle royale and focused my crossbow damage on keeping them close in HP. Lots of loot from the elites and the smashed trees and such.

I also beat Goreswine (Necromancer) by catching him roaming between the two graveyards (by day) and then kiting him into the Alpha Wolf. The Alpha Wolf kept him busy while I healed up in the shade and then I wore him down enough that I was able to finish him off easily when night fell (around the same time the Alpha did, LOL). Note: Goreswine summoned no skeletons that I recall during the day part of the fight. Maybe I need to go into the Forgotten Cemetery by day for Nicholaus.

Note: Its not difficult to figure out where the bosses are based, between blood tracking and the names of some of the bosses. The two fights described were absolutely opportunistic. So I don't really consider those to be spoilers. And we haven't spoken very specifically about tactics since there are probably a lot of ways to take on bosses depending on play style and circumstances. I am intentionally vague about specific tactics, powers, weapons and so on and would put stuff in a spoiler if I got specific.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

The rat and bear are in the first region? I haven't seen them yet. I guess I need to explore a bit more. I've really just gone straight for the trackable targets. The Alpha Wolf has crossed my path over and over again but no sign of Rat and Bear.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Putrid Rat
Spoiler:
Look into his description and then check the production equipment you have built.
Ferocious Bear
Spoiler:
He sticks to his lair near the edges of the woods. Keep looking and you will discover it.
Have you beat the Bandit King; how did you get in without bear form? (Explosives?)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I don't usually buy Early Access games, but the hype on this one and a couple of gameplay videos convinced me. Oh my God, I'm cracked out on this game. They've really nailed the gameplay loop.

Other than some occasional stutter, I haven't run into any real issues. It feels polished, and I love a lot of the gameplay mechanics. The whole burning in sunlight mechanic is brilliantly implemented, and I'm greatly enjoying the combat.

I'm still *very* much new, having only taken down one boss and still a bit scairt to go outside my comfort zone, but having a blast so far. I enjoyed Valheim, but the open-endedness tempered my interest in it after awhile. The quest nudges in this one along with the isometric view have made this one immediately more appealing to me.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Update - still cracked out on this. The wife and kids have been sick with Covid so I've been sequestered in my office playing this pretty much all weekend. :D

I finally hit the point where my starter base was too far away from the resources and bosses I needed, so it was time to pack up and move. It also gave me a chance to rectify some n00b mistakes I made with my castle placement and build a proper fortress in an elevated, centralized area.

Now that I'm more comfortable with the game, I *almost* want to try a PvP server. However, I've invested enough time so far that I don't really want to throw away my progress so I'm going to keep plugging away in PvE. Maybe I'll go that route when the game comes out of early access.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I checked out a few gameplay videos, and they had me wondering - can you zoom in for more of a third-person perspective, or are you stuck in a Diablo style top-down view?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:21 am I checked out a few gameplay videos, and they had me wondering - can you zoom in for more of a third-person perspective, or are you stuck in a Diablo style top-down view?
You can zoom in pretty close, but it's only useful for checking yourself out or getting a closer look at something near you. 100% useless for actual gameplay.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ah, well. I'm still interested, but it does reduce the appeal considerably.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I got this last night, and for obvious reasons I see the Valheim comparison. I will say that I started two separate games and was a bit displeased to see the world wasn't randomized on the second iteration. Did I miss something, or is it a static world with just different mobster populations?
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I purchased this last night, and clearly I see the Valheim comparison. I started a second game and was a bit annoyed to see the map wasn't different from the first one. Did I miss something, or is it the same map with just different mobs?
Last edited by Hyena on Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hyena wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:41 pm I got this last night, and for obvious reasons I see the Valheim comparison. I will say that I started two separate games and was a bit displeased to see the world wasn't randomized on the second iteration. Did I miss something, or is it a static world with just different mobster populations?
Static worlds with static mob populations. I mean the mobs spawn semi-randomly, but you'll get the same types and strengths of enemies in the same locations consistently. Loot is also semi-random.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Hyena, I was disappointed that your second post was static and not procedurally-generated. Please patch.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Freyland wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:13 pm Hyena, I was disappointed that your second post was static and not procedurally-generated. Please patch.
Patched for clarity.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I a pretty close to the end game now. I have 5-6 bosses left but don't really need them for anything. The grind for gold is a bit much and I think maybe I have gotten enough out of the game that I don't need to push at it much more right now. 59 hours is pretty good for a $20 early access game. I will never play pvp which I think is the real focus of the game. It would have been nice to play some co-op. I got a taste of it when my son helped me with one boss after I geared him up with all my castoffs.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Hyena wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:09 am
Freyland wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:13 pm Hyena, I was disappointed that your second post was static and not procedurally-generated. Please patch.
Patched for clarity.
Steam Thumbs-up. Would buy from this Developer again.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I am sure I could find this info, but I am lazy and you all are smart.

Can I set up a passworded server and only play this with a couple of friends? Or is it all or nothing?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yes baelthazar, you can set up private password-protected servers.