Post by Defiant »

Oh, look, a chicken cake. :ninja:
Defiant

Re: Pictures and Videos for R&P

Post by Defiant »

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Does that mean the royals are going to give away their money now?
:lol:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

In supporting evidence:
Adam Schiff is complaining against gas prices on Twitter. As opposed to actually sending the justice department to look for collusion.
Elizabeth Warren is mad at Tyson foods for price gouging; at an 8% net margin... again, as opposed to actually sending the justice department to look for collusion/monopoly abuse.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
stessier

Post by stessier »

How would Senators direct the Justice Department to do anything?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

stessier wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:33 pm How would Senators direct the Justice Department to do anything?
"I've contacted the president and he's agreed to investigate."
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
stessier

Post by stessier »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:58 pm
stessier wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:33 pm How would Senators direct the Justice Department to do anything?
The president isn't supposed to direct DOJ investigations either. He can give priorities, but he isn't supposed to say "investigate this."
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

stessier wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:00 pm
The president isn't supposed to direct DOJ investigations either. He can give priorities, but he isn't supposed to say "investigate this."
So you're saying there's nothing they could possibly do except tweet about it?
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

noxiousdog wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:05 pm
stessier wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:00 pm
So you're saying there's nothing they could possibly do except tweet about it?
There's nothing involving the Justice Department, no. They could certainly do other stuff - generally around holding hearings, I suspect.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

It's generally a state AG issue anyway, isn't it? Gas price gouging I mean?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:16 pm It's generally a state AG issue anyway, isn't it? Gas price gouging I mean?
If it's at a service station level sure. If you wanted to call out Valero for price gouging that'd probably be at a Federal level. I mean good luck with that but you could stand up a hearing in Commerce I suppose. That'd have to be coupled with some sort of coherent messaging policy...but that's work/outside their range of capability so they just tweet and move on.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

malchior wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:34 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:16 pm It's generally a state AG issue anyway, isn't it? Gas price gouging I mean?
If it's at a service station level sure. If you wanted to call out Valero for price gouging that'd probably be at a Federal level. I mean good luck with that but you could stand up a hearing in Commerce I suppose. That'd have to be coupled with some sort of coherent messaging policy...but that's work/outside their range of capability so they just tweet and move on.
If they'd move on, I probably wouldn't be so bothered by it. It surprised me with Schiff, but Warren (well, her staffers anyway) tweets about 100 times a week on student debt, and clearly corporate greed is high on her list. Tyson, though, is petty. At least pick on something making more than 10% net profit.
Black Lives Matter

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

I disagree with the sentiment, but this was pretty witty:

Enlarge Image
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Spoiler: They won't love it.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I think they meant the other kids.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If this doesn't encapsulate where we are right now...

Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

So let's get this straight. Beyond the insensitivity of the headline, instead of maintaining equipment and safety they instead spend $5B buying back stocks. Then they shipped contaminated product that may have been in involved in the deaths of 2 kids. The FDA shut down production at their biggest facility starting the formula supply chain dominos falling. That's possible because the United States doesn't enforce anti-trust or do any sort of critical infrastructure/food supply risk analysis and instead allows 3 companies to control 90% market share. We also heavily restrict import of formula. Trump shutdown imports from Canada for instance. And the hot take is it might be good for the stock? And regular people will blame Biden? :tjg:

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

malchior wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:36 pm And the hot take is it might be good for the stock? And regular people will blame Biden? :tjg:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Lol. Still my problem is with the folks who are supposed to know better, do know better, pretend to not know better, and pour fuel on the fire.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:38 am
Yep, whomever the OpEd guy is, he's flat out idiot by that headline.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enlarge Image

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Man, I cannot stand it when people have clothes that are the US Flag.

It's literally listed as one of the things you should not do to our flag.

take your pick...

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free.

(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Does the flag code differentiate between an actual flag and an image of a flag? An article of clothing that is patterned after a flag is not a flag to me (as long as it's not made from an actual flag), but I'm too lazy to do the research.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That is my interpretation as well. Though I also hate the ostentatious need to advertise your star bellied patriotism.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

LordMortis wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:34 am That is my interpretation as well. Though I also hate the ostentatious need to advertise your star bellied patriotism.
My 78 year old mom has always liked wearing shirts with American flags on them. Nothing over the top, but stuff like Old Navy puts out around 4th of July. She was very upset that she can’t wear them anymore because people might “think I’m a MAGA”.

I agree with her, and hate how they’ve completely hijacked words (anything with “freedom” or “patriot” is guaranteed to be a grifting scam) and symbols (the flag, any red hat) that used to be perfectly neutral and acceptable.

In short, fuck MAGAs.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:28 am Does the flag code differentiate between an actual flag and an image of a flag? An article of clothing that is patterned after a flag is not a flag to me (as long as it's not made from an actual flag), but I'm too lazy to do the research.
I've dug into it in the past, and yes, it's a distinction. Think of it like intent - was the object in question designed to be flown from a flag pole? If not, it isn't a flag, even if it looks like one.

There is a difference between wearing an American flag as a cape and having an American flag themed cape. Red and white stripes plus white stars on blue are not "the flag.". Likewise there is a difference between showing an American flag (flag patch, shirt with a flag) and wearing an American flag (cutting a hole in a flag and wearing it for a poncho, cutting it up and sewing it into a shirt.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:05 am
LordMortis wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:34 am That is my interpretation as well. Though I also hate the ostentatious need to advertise your star bellied patriotism.
My 78 year old mom has always liked wearing shirts with American flags on them. Nothing over the top, but stuff like Old Navy puts out around 4th of July. She was very upset that she can’t wear them anymore because people might “think I’m a MAGA”.

I agree with her, and hate how they’ve completely hijacked words (anything with “freedom” or “patriot” is guaranteed to be a grifting scam) and symbols (the flag, any red hat) that used to be perfectly neutral and acceptable.

In short, fuck MAGAs.
I'm also very upset that MAGA have completely co-opted the flag and patriotism but that stereotyping now exists within me. A sure way to get me not to give a business a chance is to have the business name prefixed with the words patriot or freedom. I want the days back where those concepts put a lump in my throat rather than bile.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:05 am

In short, fuck MAGAs.
Our new-ish neighbors took down a sycamore tree that had seen better days and erected a flagpole in its place. I was relieved that they're flying the stars and stripes rather than one of those fascist flags, and a little less relieved when they put a spotlight on it. Yesterday there was a car with a TRMP license plate parked out front. I'm still not sure just how MAGA the neighbors themselves are, but they clearly lean that way. And it's sad that our flag was what first tipped me off.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:08 am I was relieved that they're flying the stars and stripes rather than one of those fascist flags, and a little less relieved when they put a spotlight on it.
The guy in the next cul-de-sac over has a huge flagpole in his front yard. He flies a giant US flag on top, then has a rotation of slightly smaller ones flying below it. One is a skull and crossbones (with the crossbones being guns) with "Come and Take It", one is a "Let's Go Brandon" flag, and the third says "Fuck Biden" (the last two seem redundant). He has apparently been asked by multiple neighbors to take down the "Fuck Biden" flag (since we're in a majority Mormon neighborhood with lots of kids), but gets very belligerent about his "free speech" when it happens. Shocking, I know.

I'm always reminded of the Gary Larson "How nature says Do Not Touch" cartoon whenever I drive by.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Kraken wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:08 am I was relieved that they're flying the stars and stripes rather than one of those fascist flags, and a little less relieved when they put a spotlight on it.
I would actually feel better about the spotlight. I'm certainly no expert on how flags are supposed to be displayed, but I've always thought you were supposed to light the flag if you kept it out at night. The spotlight would make me think they have at least some level of respect for the flag and what's (supposed to be) behind it vs. just throwing it out there.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:26 am
I would actually feel better about the spotlight. I'm certainly no expert on how flags are supposed to be displayed, but I've always thought you were supposed to light the flag if you kept it out at night. The spotlight would make me think they have at least some level of respect for the flag and what's (supposed to be) behind it vs. just throwing it out there.
The young man is a firefighter and the son of a policeman. He has a Dalmatian and drives a fire-engine red bigass pickup. So he's deep into that culture, which unfortunately leans MAGA. I don't know him well enough to generalize about his personal beliefs and am trying not to be too judgy in advance of learning them. It might turn into an opportunity to dialog respectfully with "the other side" if that is indeed how he rolls.

If he displays any blatant MAGA symbols, though, we're going to counter with some BLM and rainbow signifiers. Just for balance, y'know.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:05 am I agree with her, and hate how they’ve completely hijacked words (anything with “freedom” or “patriot” is guaranteed to be a grifting scam) and symbols (the flag, any red hat) that used to be perfectly neutral and acceptable.
re: hats

In Philadelphia I've learned to spot the subtle difference in tone between "MAGA Red" and "Phillies Red."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:59 pm
re: hats

In Philadelphia I've learned to spot the subtle difference in tone between "MAGA Red" and "Phillies Red."
Yeah, we have to do that for University of Utah hats as well.

I still don’t wear my red Utah hats outside of the state though.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He won. Period.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I would NOT want to be that goalie.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"