The Fourteenth Doctor

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hepcat

The Fourteenth Doctor

Post by hepcat »

They just announced the next actor to tackle the character of Doctor Who.

Ncuti Gatwa, come on down.

I haven't come across his work before, but he's apparently on Netflix's Sex Education as the main character's best friend.

Of course, I am disappointed they still don't take my write in vote for Mark Wahlberg seriously.

"Hey Cyberman, say hi to your mother for me." "I'm gonna use my sonical screwdamadriver." "The Tardy is messed up. I think a Derek did it during their last attack!"
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: The Fourteenth Doctor

Post by $iljanus »

I’m pretty excited every time a new Doctor takes the helm of the TARDIS. I was disappointed in the past few seasons not because the Doctor was a woman but more that Jodie Whitaker and her talented companions were let down by some sub par writing. With every new Doctor comes the possibility of something wonderful though so I’ll be optimistic. And if the next few seasons suck there’s no shortage of things to watch until they get new show runners and/or a new Doctor.

I wish Jo Martin got the role though. The episode where she first debuted was one of the few episodes of the current Doctor which really drew me in.

I guess I should work through the last couple of Doctor Who episodes. Kind of sad that at one time I couldn’t wait to watch a Doctor Who episode. :(
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Oh, wow. He’s very convincing in Sex Education. Should be an interesting run.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I wonder if we'll see scripts that examine how race affects the way others relate to him, versus just "Doctor Who happens to be black, well that's a novelty."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:13 am I’m pretty excited every time a new Doctor takes the helm of the TARDIS. I was disappointed in the past few seasons not because the Doctor was a woman but more that Jodie Whitaker and her talented companions were let down by some sub par writing.
It had a few moments here and there, but overall Chibnall should have been given the boot long ago. The last few seasons have been embarrassingly bad.

I sound like a broken record, but I really want Michelle Gomez back. She makes ANYTHING she does 100 times better. The thought of her being a Doctor incarnation would make Websters have to redefine the word "fantastic" as it wouldn't be big enough. :wub:
Kraken wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:27 am I wonder if we'll see scripts that examine how race affects the way others relate to him, versus just "Doctor Who happens to be black, well that's a novelty."
If Doctor Who was an American show, it might be relevant. But while racism of course exists in the U.K., I don't think it's as controversial there as it is here...especially now.

I also hope they don't force yet another romance into the show. I hate that. I want my doctor to have a string of friends, not exes. As a side not, I also think Chibnall the hack did a disservice to the LGBQT community by spontaneously inventing a relationship between the Doctor and his/her female companion without ANY hint that this was happening prior to that. He just felt it was the cool thing to do, I'm guessing. In doing so in such a manner, he trivialized it though.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hepcat wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:48 am
Kraken wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:27 am I wonder if we'll see scripts that examine how race affects the way others relate to him, versus just "Doctor Who happens to be black, well that's a novelty."
If Doctor Who was an American show, it might be relevant. But while racism of course exists in the U.K., I don't think it's as controversial there as it is here...especially now.
Brexit brought about a resurgence in British racism in much the same way that Trump did in America, so it's probably as relevant as for any American series.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think Brexit resulted in/was caused more by nationalism.
Covfefe!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Max Peck wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:11 pm
Brexit brought about a resurgence in British racism in much the same way that Trump did in America, so it's probably as relevant as for any American series.
I was thinking more about historical attitudes. Race has been a bigger or lesser deal throughout historical periods and across cultures, and the Doctor's penchant for traveling through history gives that angle some interesting potential. Ignoring it because we're supposed to be colorblind now would be a mistake.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still two Doctors behind. I really need to catch up!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Kraken wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 2:28 pm
Max Peck wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:11 pm
I was thinking more about historical attitudes. Race has been a bigger or lesser deal throughout historical periods and across cultures, and the Doctor's penchant for traveling through history gives that angle some interesting potential. Ignoring it because we're supposed to be colorblind now would be a mistake.
One of the few good episodes under Chibnall was the civil rights episode, Rosa. It was very well done, I thought.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

I don't know him at all, but a buddy has watched Sex Education and said he was excellent in it. So, I will try to check him out during the immense amount of time I have until his proper debut next year.

As someone who was very bitterly disappointed in the first Jodie Whitaker season, I now think poor Chris Chibnall has gotten a bad rap since. I think his second and (short) third series were pretty excellent. I don't mind the somewhat abrupt awkward relationship with Yaz and the Doctor. I find it much more palatable than the the Doctor being seemingly oblivious to poor Martha being smitten with him. But whatever, different strokes and all that.

No matter who the Doctor is, I am most excited to see what RTD will do for his second run as showrunner. (And wonder how long he will stick around for it. I doubt he will do four series again.)
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

JCC wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:15 pm I now think poor Chris Chibnall has gotten a bad rap since. I think his second and (short) third series were pretty excellent.
He deserves the bad rap. Chibnall essentially rewrote the character. If he had even a modicum of talent, it would have been a bold move. But he doesn’t and it turned into something that most fans want Davies to just discard, and start fresh without even acknowledging the travesty of the Chibnall years.

However, if you enjoyed it, that’s all that should matter and I’m happy you did.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

You may be in luck if you want to pretend that the 13th Doctor's seasons never happened.

Chris Chibnall expects Russell T Davies to "ignore" his changes to Doctor Who
And Chibnall was in a reflective mood when he recently caught up with Radio Times, looking back on his time making the show as well as the sometimes-controversial changes he made to Doctor Who “lore” (including a new backstory for Jodie Whittaker’s Time Lord).

“You’re not carrying a vase across a room – you’ve got to get in there and say what you want about the show, the character and the world,” Chibnall says in the new edition of the Radio Times in an exclusive extended interview.

“It’s one of the few drama series without a written bible, and every era contains a contradiction or left-turn from what has come before. Any future showrunner will ignore it or run with it.”

Of course, we know the next showrunner taking over is none other than former series boss Russell T Davies – and Chibnall says he already knows which way the wind is blowing.

“Oh, I fully expect Russell to ignore it!” he laughs.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Chibnall did spend all that time creating a new backstory for the Doctor…then wrote it so that it could be ignored fairly easily. Which makes me wonder even more as to why he decided to so drastically change the history of the character in the first place. I’m sure it was for (what he thought) was the sake of a good story, but it fell apart almost as soon as he created it under the weight of its own confusion.

And to make matters worse, he even added a Groundhog’s Day story. Christ…. :roll:
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's not like Doctor Who hasn't done time-loop stories before. :coffee:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But not in a way that fundamentally changed the history of the character…at least as far as I can recall. He was always a Time Lord from Gallifrey. Then Chibnall decided that wasn’t true.
Covfefe!
JCC

Post by JCC »

(Some spoilers from the 13th Doctor's second series below...)

Yeah, I don't completely approve of the Timeless Child storyline - but it was a huge, shocking surprise. I like being surprised. I applaud Chibs for making a bold, ballsy change to the canon. I'm just pissed we won't get a real explanation of when Jo Martin's Doctor fits into the timeline. In theory, we are supposed to believe he is before all the Doctors we know, but based on the first ever DW story, that would mean she shouldn't have a TARDIS that looks like a police box. I liked a fan theory that figured she was between the 2nd and 3rd Doctors. THAT would make more sense. There is historical precedent in classic Who for "Doctors we don't know about" from the story Brain of Morbius. We see a host of faces and the production team (many of who WHERE the faces shown) absolutley intended those faces to be other Doctors we didn't know about. The Jo Martin Doctor can (be interpreted to) add credence to that. My biggest issue with the TC storyline is that it doesn't explain why the 11th Doctor couldn't regenerate since in theory the Doctor isn't bound by the regeneration limit other Time Lords have.

Also, it can be sorted out/reconned by RTD or some future showrunner if they want it to be. All they need to do is have the Master admit he made it all up.

But, whatever. Doctor Who had plenty of continuity errors over it's original 26 season run. It's nothing new. I like thinking about and discussing these, but generally I just don't get worked over them. After 39 seasons of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stories it would be impossible for there not to be issues with continuity.

ST: DS9 solved one beautifully with the Trouble in Tribbles retread. When the crew saw the old school Klingons and stared confusedly at Worf. Worf: "We don't discuss it". (Or something like that.) Continuity error solved! LOL
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

JCC wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:44 am (Some spoilers from the 13th Doctor's second series below...)

Yeah, I don't completely approve of the Timeless Child storyline - but it was a huge, shocking surprise. I like being surprised.
Excellent! That means you're going to be a huge fan of my fan script that I'm sending to Davies in which we find out that the Daleks are actually middle aged men in Dalek suits that left Earth after the name Bert was outlawed. Now they roam the galaxy pretending to be alien conquerors, when all they really wanna be is accepted and given some warm milk and a hug.

My other script will see the Cybermen retconned to include a sub race based on Twiki from Buck Rogers.
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

hepcat wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:43 am They just announced the next actor to tackle the character of Doctor Who.

Ncuti Gatwa, come on down.
I haven't watched Dr. Who since the early 80s, but I saw this announcement today and wanted to pop in and say he's fantastic in Sex Education and I hope everyone enjoys him in this role.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

The good thing about a time travel show is that you can pull off casting stunts like this!
A beloved Doctor Who duo is staging a reunion that’s sure to excite Whovians everywhere.
David Tennant and Catherine Tate are set to film scenes that will air in 2023 as part of the show’s 60th anniversary celebration, the BBC has announced.
Said Showrunner Russell T Davies in a statement: “They’re back! And it looks impossible — first, we announce a new Doctor, and then an old Doctor along with the wonderful Donna. What on earth is happening? Maybe this is a missing story. Or a parallel world. Or a dream, or a trick or a flashback. The only thing I can confirm is that it’s going to be spectacular, as two of our greatest stars reunite for the battle of a lifetime.”
https://tvline.com/2022/05/15/doctor-wh ... returning/

I hope Doctor Donna is allowed to fulfill her full potential! I didn’t really like the way they left her and she was one of my favorite companions.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

That is probably at the root of the rumor that was floating around that they might be bringing Tennant back as the next Doctor.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Donna? Hell yes!
Covfefe!
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I was hoping for Idris Elbe. But I am still gonna watch it, yesieree bob.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That would be the reverse of the standard Doctor Who role progression. Normally, you get a lower tier actor or someone without a lot of name recognition, they step into the role, then they leave after 3 or 4 years and become much more famous.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It took me a hot minute to recollect where I had read about it, but the idea that there was much more to the Doctor's backstory than "simply" being a Time Lord goes all the way back to the closing days of the classic era. Chibnall may or may not have had the "Cartmel Masterplan" in mind during his turn as showrunner, but he is not the first Who writer to go there.

Cartmel Masterplan
The Cartmel Masterplan is a fan name for the planned Doctor Who backstory developed primarily by script editor Andrew Cartmel and writers Ben Aaronovitch and Marc Platt, by which they intended to restore some of the mystery of the Doctor's background that had been lost through revelation of the existing backstory. Although hints were dropped in the last two seasons, the proposed revelations never materialised on screen as the programme was not renewed for another season in 1990.

Some of the stories during the Seventh Doctor's tenure were intended to deal with the lack of mystery by suggesting that much of what was believed about the Doctor was wrong and that he was a far more powerful and mysterious figure than previously thought. In an untelevised scene in Remembrance of the Daleks (1988), the Doctor stated that he was "far more than just another Time Lord." In Silver Nemesis (1988), lines about the creation of validium and Lady Peinforte knowing the Doctor's secrets were meant to point towards this mystery.

The suspension of the series in 1989 meant that none of these hints were ever resolved, and the subsequent production teams after the TV series resumed airing in 2005 did not directly pick up on these hints either. Despite this, 2010s executive producer Steven Moffat acknowledged in Doctor Who Magazine that the 1989 season "isn't so different" from the "new show" Russell T Davies and he made after 2005, and felt it was "extraordinary" how close Rona Munro's Survival (1989) was if you put it next to Davies' "Rose" (2005), while in a 2014 interview with Cartmel in Doctor Who Magazine, Aaronovitch acknowledged that the style of "today"'s Doctor Who is "like Rona's stuff", and Cartmel felt that the similarities between Remembrance and "The Day of the Doctor" (2013) made Remembrance "perhaps the closest thing in the twentieth-century series to a dry run" for "The Day of the Doctor".

The "Masterplan" was used as a guide for the Virgin New Adventures series of novels featuring the Seventh Doctor, and the revelations about the Doctor's origins were written into the penultimate New Adventures novel, Lungbarrow (1997) by Marc Platt. These origins were ignored and even contradicted in subsequent on screen stories.
I suspect that the fact that I had stumbled across this information a couple of years ago, while binging the classic Doctor Who series, is why Chibnall's jiggering with the Doctor's backstory didn't bother me.

At the end of the day, anything that we know about the Doctor's history is based on what he's revealed about himself, and...
Enlarge Image
Perhaps, even, to himself.

JCC

Post by JCC »

Yes as I was getting at earlier, the canon of the show was consistently altered by whoever, whenever they wanted to. The word "Time Lord" was never uttered until the SIXTH season of the show in the last couple episodes of the 2nd Doctor's run. So, it is nothing new to change/add something to the canon. I am fine with people not liking the Timeless Child revelation. I don't completely approve of it myself, but it's not too different from the aborted plans for the 7th Doctor era. My only point is, changes to canon that irritate some/many fans are not unique to the Chibnal era.
Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Badly written changes are vastly different than well written ones. That's the issue. The story was just crap from beginning to end.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I didn't find the story to be badly written, but my taste in many things is highly suspect. For example, I don't find Carrot Top to be the least bit funny. :coffee:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Max Peck wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:10 am I didn't find the story to be badly written, but my taste in many things is highly suspect. For example, I don't find Carrot Top to be the least bit funny. :coffee:
It's okay, he finds you hilarious.
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Most people find me ridiculous, so that's a step up. :dance:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The 'top loves all his creations. You are all welcome in his Prop Comedy Room in Heaven.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TVLine
Millie Gibson, who is best known for her role as Coronation Street’s Kelly Neelan, is joining Doctor Who as the Fifteenth Doctor’s companion, the gloriously named Ruby Sunday.

The new episodes of Doctor Who will stream Stateside on Disney+ in November 2023, to coincide with the time-wimey series’ 60th anniversary. Franchise vet David Tennant will play the Fourteenth Doctor for three specials, before Ncuti Gatwa takes over as the Fifteenth Doctor “over the festive season.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Three specials?! :shock:

Fan friggin’ tastic!
Covfefe!
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

IIRC, not only is Tennant back for those 3 specials, he's going to be joined by Catherine Tate.

JCC

Post by JCC »

And Wilf.
Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, apparently Bernard Cribbins filmed his scenes just a few weeks before he died.

JCC

Post by JCC »

Trailer for next year's specials released today...

Black Lives Matter

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

New trailer

Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Just learned that all classic Doctor Who episodes are now on Tubi!

There are ads, but it's free! I wouldn't want to binge it all with ads but I'm certainly going to pick through and watch some of the better ones.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Daveman wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:59 pm Just learned that all classic Doctor Who episodes are now on Tubi!

There are ads, but it's free! I wouldn't want to binge it all with ads but I'm certainly going to pick through and watch some of the better ones.
I am pleasantly surprised to see that they have the animated remakes as well. This means, there are actually some episodes I never got around to watching.
Black Lives Matter