Gift set whiskey tumblers - cheesy or great?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

McNutt

Gift set whiskey tumblers - cheesy or great?

Post by McNutt »

I don't have a set of proper whiskey glasses. The glasses set we have has small glasses that just won't do. I have several that I've bought in sets with bourbon, where you buy a bottle and it comes with a glass or two. I have some from Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek and I love them.

Do other people like these or are they thought of as cheap and tacky? I'm keeping them, so I'm not looking to be swayed. Just wondering if I'm off base here.
Hrdina

Re: Gift set whiskey tumblers - cheesy or great?

Post by Hrdina »

I have a pair of "shortie glasses" that came in an Ardbeg gift set. I think they're too small to be useful but they look nice. Tacky? Maybe, I don't know.

Conform or be cast out!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love them but I only have one. I got it free online with my initials. My wife liked it so much she took it over and used it for her cola. She'd pour her can a bit at a time and drink and repeat....like brandy I guess but cola :) I like it for cola and sometimes milk. It fits the hand just right, holds just enough, and is easy to wash. I have some glasses I cant get my hand in so never use them. My wife could get her small little hands in them and wash them though. She could reach Pringles at the bottom of can too.

Also on a side note she once got me a 4 shot glass collectors Star Trek shot glasses set. I love those things too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I would think it depends heavily on the person receiving them. Are they a bourbon aficionado? Then it might be a perfect gift. Do they have a drink now and then and wouldn't know a rocks glass from glass rocks? Probably cheesy.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

No, these are not for gifts. These would be my everyday drinking glasses. When people come over and want glass of bourbon, I would use these. That's what I'm asking. If you saw someone using these as their bourbon glasses, would you turn up your nose?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

My favorite whisky glass came out of a Jack Daniels gift box. It’s my favorite whisky glass because I own it, and because it drink whisky out of it. I do also have lots of glencairn glasses, but I don’t normally use them. The JD glass is heavier and thicker and I like it.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

McNutt wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:35 pm If you saw someone using these as their bourbon glasses, would you turn up your nose?
If I came over and you hand me a glass of quality [liquor] out of the goodness of your heart, I'd be a bastard to criticize or judge the vessel provided for consumption.

I just realized I have a favorite (and required) coffee cup; I have a favorite (and required) pint glass. But any other type of liquor? Put it in a measuring cup and I'll drink it. Not sure what that says about me.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ever drink Baileys out of a shoe?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

McNutt wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:35 pm No, these are not for gifts.
Ah, I completely misread the intent of the title.

No. Unless they were totally presumptuous, I'd just assume that the person appreciated liquor enough to have special equipment for it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I usually just sip whiskey from a shot glass. I'm not fancy.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I don't drink whiskey, but I think similar applies as when I was exploring craft and interesting foreign beers. If you're drinking Gulden Draak out of a Budweiser mug I may silently judge you. But if you're drinking Trappistes Rochefort out of a Leffe glass, who cares. Ultimately though, all that matters is what you enjoy.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I have a couple of tumblers from Walmart. Or maybe Dollar Tree. I can't remember. So anything that came in a gift set would be a significant step up. :P
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'll visit you and drink whiskey out of your gift set tumblers. You can visit me and drink a craft beer from my mismatched gift set pint glasses. If everything is one brand it looks a little like you are advertising but if they feel good in the hands who really cares.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

If you're getting some just because you need the glasses then get what you like, whether they are whiskey tumblers, shot glasses, wine glasses or plain old soda/water glasses.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

McNutt wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:35 pm No, these are not for gifts. These would be my everyday drinking glasses. When people come over and want glass of bourbon, I would use these. That's what I'm asking. If you saw someone using these as their bourbon glasses, would you turn up your nose?
Ah, well, if it's decent bourbon absolutely not. Thanks for the invitation! :D

Keep in mind that I drink my favorite Scotch whiskies from an old Welch's collector glass from about 20+ years ago (Togepi in case you're curious). That seems funny, except I did a search on it and they're apparently selling for $20+ on ebay.

It's a pretty good size and vaguely reminiscent of a Glencairn in shape if you don't look too closely.

I also have a Bulbasaur in the cabinet in case someone comes over.
Conform or be cast out!
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

I'm not a whisky snob but I don't drink whisky neat if it's not at least a decent whisky. I'd be more likely to judge you on the whisky rather than the glass. If the whisky is a nice quality I wouldn't care about the glass. Also, I may have a preference for the glass. My favorite whisky glass is a beer tasting glass (about 4 ounces max). I prefer that over the Glencairn glasses I have. So I may judge the whisky but I wouldn't judge the glass (especially if I can pick my preferred glass).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:35 pm My favorite whisky glass came out of a Jack Daniels gift box. It’s my favorite whisky glass because I own it, and because it drink whisky out of it. I do also have lots of glencairn glasses, but I don’t normally use them. The JD glass is heavier and thicker and I like it.
I have a set that came with a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel. I like them so much I went out and bought 2 more bottles. They're my go to mostly because they are solid with a great hand feel and the wife doesn't break them.

I had a set of Kate Spade crystal tumblers that my BIL gave me but I had to hand wash them immediately after use. If I left them sitting around the wife would throw them in the dishwasher and inevitably chip them. I have one left.

I keep a set of glencairn glasses as well and enjoy drinking out of those but same fragility/wife issue.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

And re: the OP, not cheesy to keep. Of they hold liquid and you can drink out of them, do what you like. Most of my pint glasses and rocks glasses are promos or freebies. Personally prefer etched or blank as opposed to painted but anything works.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Those glasses came with drink you enjoyed, and you like the glasses. So sharing that with your friends is perfectly acceptable. You are not setting a wedding table up, you are handing a drink to a friend.

Flip the script a bit, if you had a guest, and served them in a knob creek tumbler, and somehow they judged you poorly because of that choice, is this the kind of person you want as a guest?
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Followup to LawBeefaroni's comment - just about the only way to make it really cheesy would be if you or your kids had hand painted the glasses. It might still be awesome but it would be at least a little cheesy too.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I love them. I have glencairns that I use the most, but I also have a set like this though it doesn't have the graphic on the side.

Last, I have a set of my grandfather's that he received from his company back in the 1970's. It's pure nostalgia for me as they aren't particularly good for neat whiskey, but they are great for classic cocktails (old fashioned).

So, to your point, tumblers that you care about are great.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog