Sniper Elite 5 - coming May 25/26th, 2022

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Sniper Elite 5 - coming May 25/26th, 2022

Post by jztemple2 »

So, Sniper Elite 5 (Steam link) is releasing May 26, 2022, or at least that's the planned date :wink:. First, the mandatory gory trailer! Only available on YouTube! :roll:

And the first in what I'm sure will be a number of developer diaries: Playstyles and Customisation
I am sure that many of you are polishing your rifles getting ready for the release of Sniper Elite 5 on Xbox Game Pass, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 4 & 5, Epic, Steam and Windows Store on May 26th.

The gunplay has always been a key component of the Sniper Elite series as we mix authentic recreations of real World War 2 weaponry, with best in class ballistics to create an incredible challenge that is also great to play.

We wanted to take the guns in Sniper Elite 5 to the next level, building on the successes of the previous games, and at the same time ensuring historical accuracy whilst maintaining the fun factor. This led us to an overhaul of our weapons along with the creation of the new Weapon Customisation options. Where we’ve focused on enhancing the character and feel of our weapons, from sound effects to animations, stats, and finally art. Including the addition of the ‘Ironsights’ perspective, which you will all be able to get your hands on soon.
Last edited by jztemple2 on Fri May 20, 2022 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
ChuckB

Re: Sniper Elite 5 - coming May 26th, 2022

Post by ChuckB »

While I don't think that I would consider the Sniper Elite games really "great" games per se, I have to admit that I really enjoy playing them and I even finished #3 and #4 (maybe #2, too, can't really remember).

I'm not into the gore but I guess I really enjoy the mix of sneaky long-range gameplay with some (lighter) FPS in the mix. In fact, that's how I play many games, from Asssassin's Creed, over Ghost Recon to Horizon Zero Dawn etc.

So, in short ... probably a must buy for me ... :ninja:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:drool:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Zombie Army 4 was one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long time.
If they retain the game mechanics on this, I'm in.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

More on the changes between SE4 and the new game.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I am a huge sucker for these types of games. I can spend hours trying to figure out the best stealth path through enemy bases/occupied cities/etc.. So yeah...I'm in.

Edit: that gameplay video really has me chomping at the bit for this now. It looks like they addressed many of the things that eventually made the last one easy. Unlimited rocks now being a finite number of bottles, the bleed effect after being shot, and others all seem to really be geared towards tightening the game up a bit. They seem to have looked at the Hitman series and just grabbed some mechanics from that too.
Covfefe!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New video... short but a quick look at the new features.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And it will release on Gamepass on May 26th. :wub:
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:55 pm And it will release on Gamepass on May 26th. :wub:
Dammit I already preordered. I guess that key goes to the kiddo. 26th is his birthday anyway.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

GamePass pre-install is available.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:57 pm GamePass pre-install is available.
Wow, that's early isn't it? Still, I guess they can still push last minute updates.

I've pre-ordered the standard version through Green Man Gaming, 25% off plus an extra 3% for being a long term member.
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I will check the status of Gamepass install when I get home. I hope it is the regular version and has not been nerfed/censored like some of their other stuff (e.g. Conan Exiles).
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:06 pm I will check the status of Gamepass install when I get home. I hope it is the regular version and has not been nerfed/censored like some of their other stuff (e.g. Conan Exiles).
I'm doubting it will.
I played Zombie Army 4 on Gamepass and it had all of it's glorious splatter in place.
Last edited by stimpy on Wed May 18, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
naednek

Post by naednek »

damn 90 gb install. Gonna have to wait on that.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:06 pm I will check the status of Gamepass install when I get home. I hope it is the regular version and has not been nerfed/censored like some of their other stuff (e.g. Conan Exiles).
Don’t tell me they took out the genitalia size slider!? That was a mini game in itself!
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

naednek wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:42 pm damn 90 gb install. Gonna have to wait on that.
Yikes, I was looking into this for PS5, but that will take up a huge part of the hard disk!
jztemple2

Re: Sniper Elite 5 - coming May 25/26th, 2022

Post by jztemple2 »

Sniper Elite 5 Launch | All You Need to Know
The time for mission deployment is almost upon you, soldier. In six short days, you'll be shipping out to France with Karl Fairburne to bring Operation Kraken to it's knees. Let's recap what we know...
I've updated the title of the thread since some folks will be able to play the game on the 25th.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Surprisingly I got my Steam activation key from Green Man Gaming today, using they only send out the keys a few hours before release. Downloading the game now, 76GB of sweet download.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've never played one of these, but I do like to snipe things. Pre-loaded it on GamePass and looking forward to trying it out.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

And I apparently bought two keys, given that it is coming on gamepass, I have a spare. If anyone wants to work a trade, buy me something on my steam wishlist or reasonable value and I'll send you the key, message me. :D
Last edited by coopasonic on Thu May 26, 2022 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

YellowKing wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:15 pm I've never played one of these, but I do like to snipe things. Pre-loaded it on GamePass and looking forward to trying it out.
You can safely go back to 2 for some good games. Forget the original exists, as the 2005 title has not aged well.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:50 pm
YellowKing wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:15 pm I've never played one of these, but I do like to snipe things. Pre-loaded it on GamePass and looking forward to trying it out.
You can safely go back to 2 for some good games. Forget the original exists, as the 2005 title has not aged well.
I actually plan to go back and play the earlier ones after I get thoroughly done with SE5. These games used to not appeal to me as much as grand strategy games, but now I'm really into realistic first person shooters like Breakpoint.

By the way, a game like this or Breakpoint and some others are in third-person view, but are they considered first person shooters (FPS) otherwise?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:03 pm

By the way, a game like this or Breakpoint and some others are in third-person view, but are they considered first person shooters (FPS) otherwise?
You're getting into labels, which always becomes a bit subjective, but generally, no. Third person shooters, or third person action games.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:17 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:03 pm

You're getting into labels, which always becomes a bit subjective, but generally, no. Third person shooters, or third person action games.
Thanks! I've really never found myself having a strong preference over first versus third person view in a shooter, so if someone asks I'll just say I like first/third person shooters (F/TPS) :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Reviews are starting to pop up and they seem pretty positive. I somehow missed this, mentioned in the Rock, Paper, Shotgun review:
While missions can quickly grow stale in their tiresome loops of running between objectives, Sniper Elite 5’s new Invasion Mode increases the tension and makes missions a lot more engaging. If you have Invasion Mode on, another player can enter your mission as a Nazi sniper and attempt to kill you before extracting. This encourages you to move slower and approach levels more carefully, as the threat posed by another player is much greater than that of Sniper Elite’s AI. A single shot from their rifle could end your mission and force you to go back to the last checkpoint, so you’ll need to use distractions and dart between shadows to stay alive. There are also phones scattered around each map that you can use to mark human players for a brief moment.
So yeah, I can turn that option right the hell off, pronto.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah I heard about the invasion mode in a review this morning. I would love it if it could be limited to my son and I invading each other (or friends only). :D I fear I couldn't sneak up on him because he would hear me chuckling as I line up my shot.

Also some reports that Easy Anti-cheat sucks... still.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It might be something I try after I've completed the game.

Update: played for a bit just now. Apparently Karl has forgotten how to close doors since the last game. Or am I remembering wrong and you couldn’t close doors after opening them in 4 either?
Covfefe!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hepcat wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:07 pm Update: played for a bit just now. Apparently Karl has forgotten how to close doors since the last game. Or am I remembering wrong and you couldn’t close doors after opening them in 4 either?
Not sure. I've noticed about the doors too.

I'm most of the way through the first mission and am enjoying it so far. I'm not really very stealthy and have managed to die several times, but I'm liking the default settings for everything in gameplay, which is mid-range. I'm not a hardcore player in shooters but I don't want it too easy. I've battled my way out of a few fights :roll:. More impressions tomorrow I hope.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I went straight to Hard mode for my first play because once you get into the swing of things with stealth, the sniper series can get very easy. What I'm hoping happens is that I can't just sit in the grass, whistle and then silently and easily pick off entire squads this way. That happened way too much in the last one.
Covfefe!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm using the controller option and potentiometer drift from my old X360 controller (what, ten plus years old?) has finally driven me to buy a new X360 controller. It's a third party one, not from Microsoft, but it works just fine and feels right and only $15 so why not? At least it will keep me from falling off ledges, which was happening to me in SE4 while I was standing on the edge looking through binoculars a few times :roll:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Only went through the fist mission last night, but enjoyed it. It is way more up close and personal than most stuff on the Sniper: Ghost Warrior games. I guess I had forgotten about that. Going pure ghost is not impossible but fairly improbable. I didn't see an option for Friends only invasions, which gives me a sad, so that was turned off right away.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Apparently I have to work on my stealth skills :roll:

Enlarge Image
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:58 pm Apparently I have to work on my stealth skills :roll:

Enlarge Image
But hey you are making me feel better about mine! I think I got a screenshot, but not at my gaming PC right now.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I enjoyed 3 and 4 quite a bit (although I did get a little tired of the bugs in 4, especially the generator bug.) This is really looking appealing - I just need to finish up what I've got going right now and free up a slot, and I may consider taking on a little more Game Pass for it (and other things.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I’m about 90 minutes into the first scenario and I’m not seeing anything really new or revolutionary. If anything, it looks and feels like Sniper Elite 4.5.

I can still sit in tall grass and lure people to their death relatively easily. I was hoping that would have been nerfed a bit. I went with the hard difficulty level because 4 taught me that anything less is way too easy.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah. I only put about 30 minutes in last night and it felt like an updated / optimized version of #4. I loved the third and fourth titles, so if this is just more of the same, I'm totally fine with it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Invasion is not bad. I've gotten three wins as the invader so far. You're notified when they arrive. After five minutes, either of you can pick up the phone and ping the locations, rinse, repeat, shoot them in the face. War of the Rats this ain't.

Oh, and after one of you dies, you're kicked out. You can request a rematch, but otherwise, you're done. There can be no griefing.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Having trouble with the second mission, the star objective to kill a guy... in a special way...
Spoiler:
I'm supposed to drop a chandelier on this guy's head, but he never moves underneath it. Throwing bottles doesn't seem to draw him to the spot. I've been save scumming to try and try again, but no joy.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:13 pm Having trouble with the second mission, the star objective to kill a guy... in a special way...
Spoiler:
I'm supposed to drop a chandelier on this guy's head, but he never moves underneath it. Throwing bottles doesn't seem to draw him to the spot. I've been save scumming to try and try again, but no joy.
Never mind, the target finally got his... eventually