Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Holman

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by Holman »

The latest design from Cole Wehrle (Root, Oath, Pax Pamir, John Company, etc) has gone live on Kickstarter.

Arcs is an expansive space opera that appears to operate somewhat in the vein of Oath (but is less abstract).

It looks cool and fun, and the art style is terrific as expected. A single game plays in one or two hours, and a campaign is three such sessions, each affected by the previous.

Lots and lots of cards and narrative possibilities.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I am so confused with the reopening of the Middara KS Backerkit. I think I have it right, but if I backed the KS as a new backer, I STILL need to get the 1.2 updates, because the new Middara was 1.1 and they have updated it more since they shipped it several months ago? Which means, at minimum, I want to add the 1.2 update pack and the 1.2 manual?

This is all quite confusing, given the time between the two stages.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I believe the 1.2 update pack does include the 1.2 manual. It’s the compatibility pack you get for any pledge level in this Kickstarter that does not include the manual.
Additionally, where the Compatibility Pack contains a relevant rule sheet, the 1.2 Update Pack contains a complete updated 1.2 Rule Book.
And
Includes:
All the cards form all products released prior to 2022.
1.2 Rulebook
I went ahead and just added the 20 dollar update pack to my order for 2 & 3….just to be sure.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Holman wrote:The latest design from Cole Wehrle (Root, Oath, Pax Pamir, John Company, etc) has gone live on Kickstarter.

Arcs is an expansive space opera that appears to operate somewhat in the vein of Oath (but is less abstract).
Just when you think you’re done, they pull you back in. There is no way I could resist this.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Zarathud wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:07 pm
Holman wrote:The latest design from Cole Wehrle (Root, Oath, Pax Pamir, John Company, etc) has gone live on Kickstarter.

Just when you think you’re done, they pull you back in. There is no way I could resist this.
Try before you buy? I played the TTS module this week and found it solid but not exceptional. That was just the single-session game; the mini-campaign may be where the secret sauce lies.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:I went ahead and just added the 20 dollar update pack to my order for 2 & 3….just to be sure.
Ugh, I've put that in and out of my cart a couple of times because I wasn't sure. I probably should do the same, because even if it ends up being a double dip on the new manual, I don't think just ordering Act 2 & 3 is going to get you the updated cards for Act 1.

Edit: Found this great guide: https://middara.com/blogs/news/an-updat ... pdate-pack

The only reason not to get the update pack is if you're brand new to Middara (as all products shipped now will include updated components), or if you went with the "Returning to the Portal" pledge, because it's included.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Now I am even more confused... this is what is says on Middara's backerkit entry for the 1.2 Upgrade.
Important Facts!
If you purchased any bundle from our campaign that included Acts 2 or 3, you will be receiving this product for free. However, any shipping costs added must still be paid.
This product updates older versions of Middara. This includes both 1.0 (our 2015 kickstarter version) and 1.1. (the version we delivered last year.).
So I got the All Acts Pledge that had 1,2 and 3. So I assume I am getting this for free?

or... no? I think they mean if you ADDED a bundle in the backerkit. So poorly worded.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah if you click in on the All Acts pledge, it has a pic of the 1.2 Update box and lists it in the bundle contents. So you should be good baelthazar.

I have to order separately, on the other hand, as the Acts 2 & 3 (no promos) is considered an Expansion, not a bundle.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

YellowKing wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:28 pm Yeah if you click in on the All Acts pledge, it has a pic of the 1.2 Update box and lists it in the bundle contents. So you should be good baelthazar.

I have to order separately, on the other hand, as the Acts 2 & 3 (no promos) is considered an Expansion, not a bundle.
I am pretty sure I don't have it in my order (it isn't listed in the items). The NEW bundles have it, so I think I have to get it.

I am trying very hard not to get the Lupercalia plastic models. I also want the mats, but they won't fit on my limited table space (so that is easy to pass on).
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I have the mats and while they're nice for organization, they *are* ridiculously big. I brought them out again for this latest session and now I'm having second thoughts. Particularly as the maps are getting bigger. I think that's a good call.
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

YellowKing wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:51 pm I have the mats and while they're nice for organization, they *are* ridiculously big. I brought them out again for this latest session and now I'm having second thoughts. Particularly as the maps are getting bigger. I think that's a good call.
Agreed. I traded for MIddara not long after it came out, and the mats came with the bundle. Sure, they look nice but even on my fairly large game table they took up way too much space. I used them, but every session I wished they were smaller.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I think I might win this battle but don't if I should be happy or sad :ninja:

Delayed/supposed to arrive this month Kickstarters (Original delivery date between () ):
Spoiler:
Manchukuo: (09/2020) project looked dead for the longest time but has shown life again the last couple of months, might get this by the end of this year
Onimaru: (09/2019)Same company as Manchukuo and same reason
HK: Summer 2019: (12/2020) a game around the summer protests. They had to change the art and some of the content because of the new security law and it became very quiet a long time ago. Not expecting this to be ever delivered. I was planning to have it delivered in Belgium anyway since owning it here in HK would be a bit risky.
Chai: High Tea: (12/2020) A huge mess for a long time, many people have reveiced theirs a while ago, many have been waiting for a long time
Bone to Pick: (12/2021) Stuck in China
Vengeance: Roll & Fight: (02/2022) Stuck in China
Chai: Tea for 2(02/2022) Same BS as Chai, no one knows what's going on.
My Father's Work: (02/2022) Shipping now! Game is unplayable until they finish the app though...
Eternal Palace: (02/2022) European copies seem to arrive, Asian/Australian people received almost nothing
Monsters on Board: (06/2021) Seems to be shipping around the world but no signs of Asia getting anything yet.
ISS Vanguard: (08/2021) Probably shipping in August
Mosaic: (01/2022) Probably shipping in August
EU: The Price of Power: (09/2020) Probably shipping end of November
Agents of SMERSH: Epic Edition: (11/2021) Waiting for a ship
Street Masters Expansions: (05/2021) Stuck in China
Mage Noir: (12/2021) Shipping in October
Magna Roma: (05/2022) Middle of production it seems
Empyreal: Far Corners: (05/2022) Stuck in China
Reinforcements: (05/2022) Shipping in August
Age of Galaxy: (05/2022) Shipping in July
Hanamikoji: Geisha's Road: (05/2022) Shipping in July
Tiny Turbo Cars: (12/2021) Probably this month
Monumental: African Empires: (04/2021) Shipping in September
USS Freedom: (12/2021) They added a bunch of stuff to the game which pushed back delivery
Vindication Chronicles Expansion: (01/2022) Probably Shipping in July
Adventures in Neverland: (03/2021) Probably Shipping in August
Hybris - Disordered Cosmos: (06/2021) About to start production
Warehouse 13: HG Wells Expansion: (03/2022) Shipping problems
The Warp: (08/2021) From the comments I guess Shipping in September
Maximum Apocalypse: Wasted Wilds: (06/2022) approving samples

Other Backed Kickstarters:
(some are also delayed but I lacked the motivation to check on those :oops:
Spoiler:
Edge of Darkness
Stationfall
Paleoamericans
Mythic Mischief
Volfyirion Guilds
Resurgence
Beast
MIND MGMT
Pit Formula
Barnyard
Keep The Heroes Out
Barnyard
Eleven: Football Manager Board Game
Black Rose Wars Odyssey
Star Fighters: Rapid Fire - A Real-Time Dice Placement Game
Stellaris
Frosthaven
Race! Formula 90 - 2nd Edition
Power Plants
Motor City
City of the Great Machine
For Northwood!
Hegemony
Fractal: Beyond The Void
Hamlet
Night Market
Kinghill
Retrograde
Ares Expedition
Deep Rock Galactic
Warpgate: Beyond
Xia
Earth
Voidfall
Assault on Doomrock
Illiterati
Solar 175
Steam Up!
The Artemis Odyssey
Earth Under Siege: Flashpoint
Harakiri
Marvel Zombies
Western Legends Big Box
Malhya, Lands of Legends
Anastyr
Darkest Doom
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Lordnine wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:11 pm
AWS260 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:49 pm Time for a status check on my outstanding kickstarted games. Almost everything is delayed, of course:
Stars of Akarios – Shipping starts in June/July.
It's really quite good, if interested I made some videos on it and I can't wait to dive back in:
Spoiler:
The Akarios Video Playlist:

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

EzeKieL wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:59 pm
AWS260 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 2:49 pm Time for a status check on my outstanding kickstarted games. Almost everything is delayed, of course:
It's really quite good, if interested I made some videos on it and I can't wait to dive back in:
Spoiler:

My copy actually arrived yesterday! I was surprised as I wasn't expecting it for at least another couple weeks.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I backed Chronicles of Drunagor for the reprinted base game and the new expansion last year. I used their new EZ Pay option and spread the payment out over 3 months. I had the money, but for some reason I thought that would make me feel better about the larger than usual buy in.

Fast forward to near release and it’s just a goddamn nightmare. I tried adding something to my pledge manager a while back and it screwed up my order. They fixed it for me that time.

Cut to Friday and I get an email saying my order is screwed up again. I’m not sure how as they opened it to pay for shipping and all I did was select two wave shipping and paid them 40 bucks. However, they’re telling me my order is on hold because for some reason the pledge manager added another 200 dollars worth of stuff. Also, the shipping was now listed at 100 bucks.

They wanted me to pay the difference outside the pledge manager by PayPal.

I replied to their email and told them what ordered, that I had credit card receipts to prove that, and to fix it because I’m getting tired of this. I also told them I’m not paying any more money. I suspect they screwed up shipping, undercharged everyone and are now trying to get that back through this somewhat shady manner.

I’m not sure what rights I have here though. I suspect I’m about to get screwed out of about 260 bucks. :(
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

If no one else is reporting problems I would strongly recommend trying to work with them to fix the problem, it’s possible they either don’t understand the problem you are having or something else is wrong.

That said, if they can’t or choose not to fix the problem the nuclear option is to contact your bank and issue a chargeback. Most banks with side with the customer on issues like that for up to year, possibly two if you can prove a misdeed on the seller’s part.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

The whole EZ pay thing has always felt like a well meaning clusterf-. The functionality wasn't there for it so they're basically doing a bunch of manual craziness on the back end. I know they wanted to give people options but I'm not sure they have more happy than unhappy people as an end result.

I do agree to keep trying to work with them - they don't seem like they're trying to screw anyone. Just in over their heads.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I'm probably just overreacting. I'm just frustrated that at the 11th hour, this happens. Especially since I thought I was all done. But I'm definitely not paying a lot more for two wave shipping. I won't raise a stink that they already charged me for shipping if they ask for a few dollars more, I'll just chalk it up to an error and let it go. But I'm not paying double for two wave at this point. I'll just get it all late this year/early next.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Lordnine wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:30 pm
EzeKieL wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:59 pm
Spoiler:

My copy actually arrived yesterday! I was surprised as I wasn't expecting it for at least another couple weeks.
Did you get a shipping notice or did it just appear? From various playthrough videos and impressions I've read I'm pretty excited about getting it!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I have held out on Chronicles of Drunagor with the idea that *someday* I will get my Dungeon Universalis order. But the longer DUN sits in Portland and the more I feel like DUN was a scam, the more I get tempted by COD. The buzz for COD was hard to ignore, and I appreciate the emphasis on solo play. But having been burned by Altar Quest (which was “meh”), I am wisely holding out.

The good news is that I just got my Burncycle pre-order. As expected from CTG, the components are over-the-top good. I dithered on getting the bronze figures and decided to get them. Man, am I glad I did. They are some the the finest models I have seen! They magnet trick is also pretty awesome. I look forward to learning the game!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

baelthazar wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:11 pm I have held out on Chronicles of Drunagor with the idea that *someday* I will get my Dungeon Universalis order. But the longer DUN sits in Portland and the more I feel like DUN was a scam, the more I get tempted by COD. The buzz for COD was hard to ignore, and I appreciate the emphasis on solo play. But having been burned by Altar Quest (which was “meh”), I am wisely holding out.
I don't think DUN was a "scam" as much as it was developed and is being published by an international developer. And to try and save money they went with FunAgain logistics (presumably), easily my least favorite distributor for KS projects - especially those with complicated fulfillment (like DUN). When the re-print KS launches in September or October for DUN, I'm guessing you're going to feel relief when you see the updated pricing for North America - unless he somehow manages to get an international distributor. I am unofficially expecting DUN to arrive some time in August.

I kinda feel the same about Drunagor. When I backed them, the original was OOP so I went nuts I'm not sure I'd back them now in 2022, but I'm also confident whatever is delivered is going to have resale value as we round the corner on big-box, big production KS projects.

Not all all my kind of game, but I I do keep seeing/reading lots of positive reviews for Burncycle, so at least you have that.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Fishbelly

Post by Fishbelly »

baelthazar wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:11 pm The good news is that I just got my Burncycle pre-order. As expected from CTG, the components are over-the-top good. I dithered on getting the bronze figures and decided to get them. Man, am I glad I did. They are some the the finest models I have seen! They magnet trick is also pretty awesome. I look forward to learning the game!
Unfortunately, I "dithered" over the brass mag minis as well, and resisted ordering them. Once I got the game, I realized my blunder and pre-ordered them from the CTG store. If luck holds, they'll be delivered tomorrow. Having messed with the how to play tutorial a bit, I do think the minis will help me visualize guard paths and facing a bit easier than the chips alone. At least, that's how I rationalized giving in and picking them up. :mrgreen:
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

$iljanus wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:25 pm

Did you get a shipping notice or did it just appear? From various playthrough videos and impressions I've read I'm pretty excited about getting it!
No notice at all. I haven't done much more than open the box but production quality looks phenomenal.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Lordnine wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:50 pm If no one else is reporting problems I would strongly recommend trying to work with them to fix the problem, it’s possible they either don’t understand the problem you are having or something else is wrong.

That said, if they can’t or choose not to fix the problem the nuclear option is to contact your bank and issue a chargeback. Most banks with side with the customer on issues like that for up to year, possibly two if you can prove a misdeed on the seller’s part.
Okay, it's been ironed out. Two wave shipping only cost me about 40 bucks more so I went ahead and just paid the difference via Zelle. I'm getting an ungodly amount of stuff, and I don't believe they sell through retail outlets, so this is probably the only way I'll get them anyway.

And yeah, the EZPay option was obviously not really thought out. But at least they were polite about fixing it. I've heard of some game makers on kickstarter that resort to insulting their customers at times.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Because I have wicked FOMO, I am now looking at Stars of Akarios (and getting targeted ads for the webstore). I just got my pledge of Root - Marauders, Hirelings box, and Clockwork Expansion 2 and I am considering selling that pledge (unopened) on eBay to fund a purchase of Stars of Akarios. On the other hand, if Stars is "Gloomhaven in Space" then it might not be a great investment. My only real impetus for keeping the Root stuff is to make solo play more interesting.
Last edited by baelthazar on Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I just now realized that the Hirelings are not usable solo. So that might really skew my decision here. I might hold on to Clockwork 2 expansion, but sell the other two pieces.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Latest update for Dungeon Universalis sounds like things are on the move. Of course, it also revealed the games weren’t actually in Portland yet, as I thought he had said they were.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I've reluctantly backed out of Acts 2 & 3 for MIddara. I got a bit into Act 1 and while I'm having a blast, I already feel the pull to try other games. The reality is I'll probably never finish Act 1 (at least solo), much less two more acts. And if, down the road, I absolutely must have them then I'll just try to acquire them on the second-hand market.

With more Kickstarters arriving, and a trip to GenCon only a couple of months away, there's going to be too much distraction. I've come to the realization that as much as I love the *idea* of huge campaign games, I rarely have the drive to finish them.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:27 am I've reluctantly backed out of Acts 2 & 3 for MIddara. I got a bit into Act 1 and while I'm having a blast, I already feel the pull to try other games. The reality is I'll probably never finish Act 1 (at least solo), much less two more acts. And if, down the road, I absolutely must have them then I'll just try to acquire them on the second-hand market.

With more Kickstarters arriving, and a trip to GenCon only a couple of months away, there's going to be too much distraction. I've come to the realization that as much as I love the *idea* of huge campaign games, I rarely have the drive to finish them.
I totally agree, especially, like you said, with a decent stream of incoming new games it's very difficult to maintain a campaign.

Campaigns I've got going atm:

- Stars of Akarios
- Roll Player Adventures
- Dice Throne Adventures
- Valeria Card Kingdoms: forgot the name of the campaign expansion

Campaigns I still need to play/restart:
- Swords and Sorcery
- Gloomhaven (want to restart)
- Middara
- Jaws of the Lion
- Tainted Grail

Campaigns on the way:
- ISS Vanguard
- Frosthaven
- Solar 175
- Earth Under Siege: Flashpoint
- Harakiri
- Malhya: Lands of Legend
- Anastyr

Yet I still want act 2 and 3 and haven't even touched act 1, also because I got an insert for act 1
:grund: :grund: :grund:
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

EzeKieL wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:26 pm Campaigns I've got going atm:
- Stars of Akarios
What's your take on Stars of Akarios? I'm so tempted by it, but the fairly steep price point is scaring me off.
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

baelthazar wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:46 pm
EzeKieL wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:26 pm Campaigns I've got going atm:
- Stars of Akarios
What's your take on Stars of Akarios? I'm so tempted by it, but the fairly steep price point is scaring me off.
It feels like Gloomhaven in space a bit because it has some of the same mechanics, most notably the modifier decks and how you upgrade your character/ship.
Aside from that you're doing the space battles which I find pretty cool and which play very differently depending on the weapons and engines you have equipped. Your ship is also of a certain type so you can only mount certain weapons which makes checking out the other characters/ships more worthwile.
You have the space exploration which is okay but haven't seen too much of it yet. It does have locations which you can only access if certain story elements have happened and events are strewn around.
The world/planet exploration is pretty cool as you're exploring a part of the planet, flipping tiles, investigating, pushing your luck at times.
Story wise it reminds me a lot of
Spoiler:
Battlestar Galactica
for now but I've only played 4-5 scenarios so far. I'm sure there will be a lot of nods to other popular space series.
The ships are cool, the character minis ok.

I don't know, I really like it and I can see myself playing through the full campaign for sure. Here is my video playlist:
Spoiler:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've never backed a KS for $1 before, but that's where I am with the current Monolith Batman project. I'd only be going in for the solo content, but even there, I'm still not convinced. My understanding for the updated rules is that nothing has changed. All they did was reformat and clarify, so the updated rules packet is really just an updated edit of the original.

If this was any other game I'd just walk away, but I love the miniatures so much. It will never be played with anyone else so solo is the only viable path. But is it worth it just for solo?

Spending a $1 to think about it...
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

What does a $1 pledge on any KS project get you? I've never understood that.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Access to the pledge manager, which allows you to change your mind later and change to a different level.
Covfefe!
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

Fardaza wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:13 pm What does a $1 pledge on any KS project get you? I've never understood that.
Honestly, it's a really good FOMO killer. Weeks later, after the campaign has ended, it's much easier to make a clearheaded decision instead of during the high of the campaign. Most 1$ pledges I had remained just that, a 1$ pledge, because the hype died down weeks/months later.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's kinda where I am 4+ days later! I am not really sure I'm feeling motivated to buy the solo system and keep the game just for that reason. I love the miniatures, but the amount of space it takes up is absurd.

The pledge manager doesn't open until September-ish and will be open for 4-5 months. That $1 just gives me so much time to reconsider and see what they're doing, but as of today, I'm really not feeling it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I listed my original Final Girl kickstarter $99 pledge on facebook marketplace yesterday. I guess I underestimated demand. I listed it at $60 with a best offer cutoff of $40. I got 4 "I'll take it" messages in under an hour. I am so used to taking a loss on kickstarters I didn't even bother to try.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I swore off the kickstarter for Final Girl season 2 when I realized that everything from season 1 appeared online before I even got my copies of the games....and at a cheaper price. I'm not a fan of successful companies using kickstarter as a pre order system.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Seeing a large brown box on the porch a few minutes ago filled me with glee... until I pick it up and it's really light and I finally see the shipping label which has my wife's name and now I'm just sad (play sad trombone here)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

So your wife is now hooked on kickstarter games?
Covfefe!