Starship Troopers Terran Command

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Starship Troopers Terran Command

Post by Daehawk »

Its only been 23 years since the movie so its about time they tried to cash in on it.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
raydude

Re: Starship Troopers Terran Command

Post by raydude »

Damn that stupid movie to hell. It seems to have corrupted all devs into thinking Starship Troopers should be about masses of grunts fighting WW1/WW2 style battles instead of using the original premise of the book - small squads in powered armor firing tactical nukes and using their superior mobility to win against aliens using WW1/WW2 style tactics.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

"If you take one of the most iconic movies from the 90s and shape it into a strategy game of survival, that mixes classic real-time mechanics, tower defense and tactical deployment of units then you have ‘Starship Troopers - Terran Command’ in a nutshell," says Iain McNeil, Development Director at Slitherine. "Modern strategy games are fast-paced and they successfully blend unit management, survival and captivating storytelling. Nothing is more suited to this type of gameplay than the Starship Troopers universe, where there is a continuous sense of danger and uncertainty."
-mf
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

amen. it is amazing how in the Starship Troopers movie universe they never develop weapons beyond assault weapons that take many many bullets to take down one bug. They have no tactics other than mass assault of lightly armored infantry. Then again no one ever lost money betting on the ability of humans to be more stupid than thought possible. How I wish they would remake Terra Nova- now there is an assault armor game. It was Terra Nova right?
raydude

Post by raydude »

Jaddison wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:27 am amen. it is amazing how in the Starship Troopers movie universe they never develop weapons beyond assault weapons that take many many bullets to take down one bug. They have no tactics other than mass assault of lightly armored infantry. Then again no one ever lost money betting on the ability of humans to be more stupid than thought possible. How I wish they would remake Terra Nova- now there is an assault armor game. It was Terra Nova right?
Yep. Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri.
By the same guys who made Ultima Underworld, System Shock, and Thief.

That was a great game. A shame I never got to finish it.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

raydude wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:53 am
Jaddison wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:27 am amen. it is amazing how in the Starship Troopers movie universe they never develop weapons beyond assault weapons that take many many bullets to take down one bug. They have no tactics other than mass assault of lightly armored infantry. Then again no one ever lost money betting on the ability of humans to be more stupid than thought possible. How I wish they would remake Terra Nova- now there is an assault armor game. It was Terra Nova right?
Yep. Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri.
By the same guys who made Ultima Underworld, System Shock, and Thief.

That was a great game. A shame I never got to finish it.
It's not too late.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive been watching Terra Nova streamed on Twitch all weekend. I loved it and finished it back in the day.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

I tried Terra Nova through GoG....it needs an update like System Shock got and is getting and even better update....i think. But damn that is a game that needs to come back or get redone even if it is a new approach
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The movie is fine as its own thing. It isn't a good adaptation of the book, but it's a fun action sci-fi film that actually does make the good basis for a game like this.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:37 pm The movie is fine as its own thing. It isn't a good adaptation of the book, but it's a fun action sci-fi film that actually does make the good basis for a game like this.
The book had a lot less action and took it's propaganda seriously. The movie was more action and turned the propaganda into satire -- I was good with that because I didn't like Heinlein's proselytizing in the book. The acting was uneven, but the CGI was well done (probably the best of it's time).

I seem to recall hearing the old AH boardgame was going to be re-released. I believe I still have my battered old copy, complete with a set of 3rd party expansion counters. Sadly, the one person I used to play against is no longer with us.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Warhammer Dawn of War 2 is pretty cool too!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:03 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:37 pm The movie is fine as its own thing. It isn't a good adaptation of the book, but it's a fun action sci-fi film that actually does make the good basis for a game like this.
The book had a lot less action and took it's propaganda seriously. The movie was more action and turned the propaganda into satire -- I was good with that because I didn't like Heinlein's proselytizing in the book.
I don't disagree. The book read like a tedious series of political lectures.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The animated series "The Roughnecks" are not too bad. At least there they get the full suits, not that lame movie crap.

Oh, there were more than 3 sequels to the movie, but they were direct-to-video releases, IIRC.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Don't forget the original Starship Troopers PC game (2005). The below video looks like a complete walkthrough in 6 hours and 45 minutes. I played through it a couple times and could swear it took 4x longer.

This new version still looks like fun. I love the setting.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I saw a couple of videos on it and it looked okay. In my later years here tho I really can't handle these RTSs.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbt1949 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:57 am In my later years here tho I really can't handle these RTSs.
I agree. I played the demo months ago and felt like I wasn't able to keep up with events. I'm really much more at home with turn based.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »