Nevergrind Online (PC/Steam)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

rittchard

Nevergrind Online (PC/Steam)

Post by rittchard »

I've got a bunch of games on my list that I am wanting/intending to play, but the last few days I keep going back to this oddball. I believe a single developer made it, and I'm always impressed with that when it comes out good.

I guess the name is a play on EverQuest, which the game does borrow from (even some sound effects), but really it's more of a really old school Might and Magic or Wizardry game. There's pretty much no story or quests, it's just dungeon hopping to kill a boss, level, improve gear, train, rinse and repeat. The only thing on paper that sets it apart from the old MM games is that you only play a single character, and if you play online you can group with others. In a group, one player controls the movement and everyone else just contributes in fights on a semi-turn based nature. I guess that's where the EQ/MMO-ish element comes into play. The party mechanics are similar to other MMOs where the best party has a tank, healer and a mix of DPS and CC.

And really that's about it, there's nothing much else to the game. I find it hard to recommend based on a description because it's so simplistic. And yet, for some reason, I keep wanting to go back and play more. I can't figure out if it's old school nostalgia or what, but something just makes me want to get that next level and better gear to go kill that next boss. It's relaxing in a weird way, particularly if you keep the challenge level down. But if you get in a good group, the combat can get pretty tough pretty quick.

It's a little pricey but worth it for me to support the dev, but if you like weird old school games like this, it might be worth a look.