Best games for Switch?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaymann

Best games for Switch?

Post by Jaymann »

Getting my daughter one for her birthday. I seem to recall there were some exclusives that might be good. Any recommendations?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Re: Best games for Switch?

Post by Skinypupy »

Everyone but me loves Zelda Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey.

Monster Hunter Rise is brilliant. Astral Chain is a solid action game as well, even if it didn’t click that well with me personally.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses, both Xenoblade Chronicles games (2 is way better than 1, but they’re both good), and Triangle Strategy are all excellent RPGs.

Super Smash and the new Mario Strikers we both chaotic fun.

Animal Crossing is one of the best “chill” games ever.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Thanks! Triangle Strategy was the one I was thinking of, since I enjoyed Octopath Traveler.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I thought you said you got this for your daughter.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:18 pm I thought you said you got this for your daughter.
She has to sleep some time.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
JCC

Post by JCC »

Metroid Dread.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Some great recommendations above. I'd add Hades, Tetris Effect, Monster Train, Streets of Rage 4, Tetris 99, plus a plethora of the first-party titles not detailed here.
Kevin45

Post by Kevin45 »

Hello,

Streets of Rage 4 is pretty good. Thanks for the little list @Zaxxon

[edit]P.S. I am a dirty little spammer who stealth edits links into my sig and I deserved to be banned. (As dictated to ILB.)[/edit]
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Kevin45 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:16 am Hello,

Streets of Rage 4 is pretty good. Thanks for the little list @Zaxxon
If you like that one, you might check out TMNT: Shredder's Revenge that just released. Especially if you grew up with the Turtles like I did. It's published by dotemu who did SOR4. I don't think the game's as good/complex, but it's fun (6-player co-op!) and the nostalgia hit is real (they even have the OG voice actors from the 80s cartoon).
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:41 pm Getting my daughter one for her birthday. I seem to recall there were some exclusives that might be good. Any recommendations?
How old is your Daughter? That could change recommendations a lot.
FTE
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Scraper wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:53 am
Jaymann wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:41 pm Getting my daughter one for her birthday. I seem to recall there were some exclusives that might be good. Any recommendations?
She is in her 30's, but has two children, 6 and 8. They just hooked up the system yesterday and I was disappointed to hear it did not come with any games. :?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:55 am
She is in her 30's, but has two children, 6 and 8. They just hooked up the system yesterday and I was disappointed to hear it did not come with any games. :?
OK, so yeah all of the game mentioned above are good for a 30 year old. For the kids you could consider some of the Lego games. My 6 year old nephew loves the new Star Wars Lego and literally anything Mario.
FTE
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Scraper wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:23 am the new Star Wars Lego
+1 on the new Lego Skywalker Saga. I hadn't played a Lego game in years, but had an absolute blast with this one (on PS4).
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:55 am
+1 to Animal Crossing - I love to play it and have my 6-year old watch the game. I can even let her control, since she like to explore and have fun (to be fair, she can also play Minecraft Dungeons and the older Zelda games).

Also +1 to Monster Hunter: Rise. It is a challenge, but probably the most accessible of the Monster Hunter titles. I actually like MH: World better, but Rise got more play since it is on the handheld.

I love the Diablo 3 collection on Switch. I own it for PC, PS4 and Switch (something I never do) but I have poured hundreds of hours into the Switch version. There is just something about the portability and Diablo that makes sense.

I like Octopath, but it is a long and draw out game. I saw they are releasing a similar remake/redo of a game called LiveALive which looks pretty cool. It was a game from 1994, but unless you lived in Japan, you probably didn't play it. They have updated the graphics using Octopath's engine (or one like it).

Puyo Puyo Tetris is good, if she was a fan of the Tetris games.

Of course, Super Smash Brothers is always a hit.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:06 pm Thanks! Triangle Strategy was the one I was thinking of, since I enjoyed Octopath Traveler.
It's the only one I've played and I loved it. I'll keep this thread around for later. :D
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:57 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:06 pm Thanks! Triangle Strategy was the one I was thinking of, since I enjoyed Octopath Traveler.
It's the only one I've played and I loved it. I'll keep this thread around for later. :D
I can attest to having transitioned from addiction to Triangle to addiction to Octopath. And my kids like Octopath much better (more trad RPG rather than tactical RPG).

Also, it has 'octo' in the title and is therefore mandatory for patrons of this site.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The twins got a Switch for their birthday last week, and I started them off with Minecraft (this was non-negotiable for them), Mario Kart 8, Pokemon Sword, and Among Us. They've spend 90% of their time so far on Minecraft (unsurprisingly), but they have played a bit of Pokemon and Mario Kart. Pokemon is harder for them to do together since it's single player. Surprisingly, they haven't played Among Us yet, although boy twin talks about it all the time since his friends play it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!