[VR] VR deals

The walrus awaits.

Moderator: The Preacher

Blackhawk

[VR] VR deals

Post by Blackhawk »

They don't have sales often, but every once in a while you can get a great deal on a game or two, and I couldn't find a better place to list them. So, here I present you with the slowest, emptiest game deals thread on OO!

To kick it off, they currently have a 75% off deal on Lone Echo, a single player sci-fi game that's been at the top of my wish list forever, but was out of reach at $40. It has consistently gotten really, really fantastic reviews. The sale is likely due to the fact that the sequel is going to be released in a few weeks.

Last edited by Blackhawk on Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
DOS=HIGH

Re: [VR] Oculus store deals

Post by DOS=HIGH »

The Quest Store page have a daily deal and combo packs that last several days. You would need to check the title to verify they are cross buy plays if you have the Rift though.
stessier

Re: [VR] Oculus store deals

Post by stessier »

Lone Echo looks really good.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Re: [VR] VR deals

Post by Blackhawk »

I realized today that this thread was a little too limited, so I changed it from an Oculus store thread to a VR deals thread.

So, anyway - Humble has a fairly big VR sale going on right now. Some that stand out as well-reviewed and interesting. I haven't played all or - even most - of these, so do your due diligence:

~Arizona Sunshine (Just finished this last week - tons of fun)
~I Expect You to Die (reminds me of NOLF)
~Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
~Red Matter
~Into the Radius (basically STALKER VR)
~Boneworks
~The Talos Principle VR (great port of a great game)
~Budget Cuts
~Until You Fall
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I enjoyed Red Matter a lot. Just be aware it's pretty short.

I Expect You to Die is probably my favorite VR game.

Budget Cuts I thought was disappointing. It has some very frustrating parts, particularly the end.

Fishermans Tale is quite wonderful but only about 2 hours long.

Boneworks holds the record of being the only VR game to ever make my physically ill.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fanatical has a bundle deal going on. One for a $1, 5 for $3, 10 for $5.

I don't know any of the games except for Ayahuasca, which I've been meaning to check out. For the rest, use your own judgment.

Ayahuasca isn't a game, it's a documentary... sort of. It won Best Documentary at Raindance and was nominated at Tribeca. It's described as, "A visionary experience through the realms of medicinal plants, led by an indigenous Shipibo traditional healer in the Amazon rainforest." It is, essentially, a VR drug trip. It's recreation of the creator's vision quest in the Amazon under the influence of powerful traditional psychedelics (ayahuasca.) It certainly won't be for everybody, but I spent a lot of time when I was younger reading about shamanism and the world's shamanistic practices. For a buck, it's a no-brainer for me.

/edit - I take that back. I didn't recognize it at first, but I've heard good things about Mask Maker.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I grabbed a few of them.

Ayahuasca and Maskmaker for the reasons mentioned above. Singularity 5 looks like a fun shooter for buck, and has good reviews. Battlescar, a Rosario Dawson acted 30 minute film about punk music. Gloomy Eyes is also a non-interactive VR film, one that reminds me (aesthetically) a little of Coraline. A few others for filler to hit the ten-for-five.

War Remains stood out as a great choice. At first glance I figured it was some generic, cheesy action game. It isn't a game at all. It's full title is actually, "War Remains: Dan Carlin Presents an Immersive Memory", and I certainly appreciate Dan Carlin. From the look of it, it drops you into VR recreations of scenes and locations from the first World War, which you view while you listen to Dan Carlin's narration. For a buck? Hell yes.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Humble Fall VR Sale

Games on sale I can personally vouch for:
Sniper Elite: VR
Zero Caliber (with caveats
I Expect You To Die
Pistol Whip

Games that are supposed to be really good, but I haven't yet played myself:

Red Matter
Into the Radius (VR STALKER clone)
Boneworks
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners (this is on my short list to play)
Detached
Until You Fall
VTOL VR

I'm also been curious about IronWolf, a VR sub sim. I don't know much about it yet, though.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I really enjoyed Into the Radius. But I am an unabashed STALKER fan. And it's not really a clone. It's just a similar setting. It's a lot shorter. But it does have anomalies and artifacts.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

All I had to go on were the reviews and trailers - the guy tossing bolts to find wobbly invisible spheres certainly gave me that impression, but I bow to your superior experience!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I think I saw the same things. I just didn't want anyone to be disappointed. I still really enjoyed it. To the point that, while I haven't gone back in since I beat it, I did leave it installed.

I would say that it evokes the feeling of the STALKER games. The atmosphere. But I wouldn't want anyone to go in thinking that it's any kind of port. The story, enemies, location, etc. are all very different.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Everything's on sale. There, you're welcome.

A couple of specific deals bear mentioning:

Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge is $14.99
The Vader Immortal Pack (the full series) is also $14.99

For Oculus exclusives, these are great deals. Be warned that they're a little short (Vader especially.) But for Star Wars fans they're regarded as a must-have.

Half-Life: Alyx is on sale for $29.99. That's not a small number, but it is a historical low for this title. It is widely regarded as the best VR shooter on the market, and many consider it the best VR game of any genre.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:37 pm Everything's on sale. There, you're welcome.
Not if you go to the Rift store. Way to be subtle Meta.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are several VR bundles right now on Fanatical. I think one of them may have been mentioned before, but with the holidays in the rearview mirror, some people may be looking for games for new systems. I'll name a few games on each that I either have played, or that have caught my attention in the past, but this is entirely based on my taste, and are games that stood out to me - not necessarily games I've played and can recommend. So do your own due diligence.

Quest VR bundle - this one is specifically Quest/Quest 2 games.

Gadgeteer and Zero Caliber

Build your own Elite VR Bundle

Torn, Star Shelter, Ultrawings, Abode

VR Adrenaline Bundle

Battlewake, and maybe Creed. I've heard Onslaught isn't great - if you want a VR Walking Dead game, get Saints & Sinners. And I've heard Creed is good, but Thrill of the Fight is supposed to be better.

And you can always find where the deals are here. They normally have a weekly 'VR games discounted on Steam' thread, but the Winter Sale seems to have thrown that off this week.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Humble VR Discovery Bundle

I can vouch for Synth Riders as one of the best music/movement games out there, and I've heard good things about Red Matter.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I enjoyed Red Matter a lot.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Build Your Ultimate VR Bundle 2

I haven't played anything in there, but I've heard good things about Republique, and excellent things about Contractors. Not to say that the others aren't good - I just don't know anything about them.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Must Play VR Bundle at Humble.

I can only speak for those that I've personally played. Pistol Whip is excellent, a rhythm-based shooting game that's also a decent workout (unless you cheese the dodging.) Ragna Rock is a sort of VR Rock Band style game (note: I've never played Rock Band) in which you are the drummer on a viking longship, and the beats have to be struck on the drums as the runes (notes/beats) pass over them, all to the dulcet tones of viking/euro metal, including a few well-known bands (Gloryhammer, Alestorm, etc - Soundtrack. Both are actual rhythm games, requiring you to actually time you shots/strikes, unlike Beat Saber/Synth Riders/Audio Trip, etc.) PowerBeatsVR is bad. It's one of the first dedicated VR workout apps, but it just didn't do it well (and the music is awful.)

The others I have heard of, and have generally heard good things, but haven't looked at that closely or played myself. Vacation Simulator is by the company behind Job Simulator. The Propagation VR item is a paid DLC, but the base game is free.

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Vanishing Realms was good for when it came out but it was one of the first "real game" VR games so it is showing its age a bit at this point. The "blank" simulator games are overrated in my opinion. They are fun once for about 15 minutes and then I don't know why you would ever return to them.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Lordnine wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:22 am The "blank" simulator games are overrated in my opinion. They are fun once for about 15 minutes and then I don't know why you would ever return to them.
Tell that to my kids who have put hours and hours into them. Of course, they think throwing a hot dog at a customer is the height of hilarity.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Here is a link to a list of all of the VR deals during the Steam summer sale.