Steam Summer Sale 2022 (23 June - 7 July)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Steam Summer Sale 2022 (23 June - 7 July)

Post by Max Peck »

I'm not sure that there's anything I really want to buy right now, but I'm sure that I'll end up spending some money on something that'll add to my backlog before it's over.

Anything on your wishlist that's too good a deal to pass up?
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Re: Steam Summer Sale 2022 (23 June - 7 July)

Post by coopasonic »

Decided to clean up the with list a bit.

Fallout 3 - I guess I played it on xbox, just needed to fill the gap
Cuphead - Playing in the car just isn't convenient all the time
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - Think I bought it on Epic, needed it on steam to give it another go - yes I dislike epic that much (for clarity, that much is $6)
Elex II - enjoyed the original, this looked janky so waited for a decent discount
SnowRunner with year 1 and year 2 passes - played it on Gamepass, want it in the collection and now I can play the DLC (or not, we'll see)
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands - yay it's on steam now! (actually purchased from greenmmangaming.com because cheaper)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm waist-deep in Ghosts of Tsushima on PS5 Plus and bought Tales of Arise PS5 while it was half price yesterday. I may look for some casual <$10 titles if anything grabs my eye, but I definitely don't need any big games right now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There are a couple of VR titles I've been wanting (Into the Radius and Vox Machinae), but they don't have much of a discount - both have been cheaper. So I'm waiting a day or two for the third party companies (Green Man, Fanatical, Humble, GoG, etc) to put up the 'counter offers' that have become popular and to let those filter onto Is There Any Deal. I'll likely get them regardless, but the two as they are now would eat up my entire budget.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I saw that the Sims 4 was $5; might pick that up for so low-key fun.

Doing what I can to try and find the fake games for the Summer 22 badge. They're pretty damn crafty at hiding them!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'll fill out my Euro Truck Simulator 2 map with Italia, Beyond the Baltic Sea, and Road to the Black Sea.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:41 pm I'll fill out my Euro Truck Simulator 2 map with Italia, Beyond the Baltic Sea, and Road to the Black Sea.
Huh, I hadn't even thought about ETS2, I've just been waiting for Montana and Texas for ATS. I'm still missing Road to the Black Sea and Iberia for ETS2 but I lost interest in ETS2 when more ATS content came out. That and I drive pretty badly so the narrower European roads have been a challenge in the past :roll:. But maybe a change is just what I need :think:

By the way, if for some reason you might be interest in the ETS2 Volvo Construction Equipment DLC, there's currently a bundle that will let you get that DLC for both ETS2 and ATS for a penny less than the cost for the DLC for either game. Sounds like a winner to me :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I played Skyrim back on the X360. If I want to get it for Steam, what is the best option right now? I see Anniversary Edition, Special Edition and a vanilla one.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:26 pm I played Skyrim back on the X360. If I want to get it for Steam, what is the best option right now? I see Anniversary Edition, Special Edition and a vanilla one.
The Anniversary Edition is the Special Edition with a bunch of content from the Creation Club included. Either version is fine, depending on whether or not you want the extra content.

The only other version I see is Skyrim VR.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:16 pm
Alefroth wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:41 pm I'll fill out my Euro Truck Simulator 2 map with Italia, Beyond the Baltic Sea, and Road to the Black Sea.
Huh, I hadn't even thought about ETS2, I've just been waiting for Montana and Texas for ATS. I'm still missing Road to the Black Sea and Iberia for ETS2 but I lost interest in ETS2 when more ATS content came out. That and I drive pretty badly so the narrower European roads have been a challenge in the past :roll:. But maybe a change is just what I need :think:

By the way, if for some reason you might be interest in the ETS2 Volvo Construction Equipment DLC, there's currently a bundle that will let you get that DLC for both ETS2 and ATS for a penny less than the cost for the DLC for either game. Sounds like a winner to me :D
I just bought Iberia a few days ago. It went on sale, but not as deeply as it is now. The bundle with the three I needed is only $13, so that's not too bad. I haven't seen much of Iberia yet as I always seem to be driving at night.

I like the ETS world better (it's huge and more diverse), but driving ATS is a little more enjoyable. I really miss the voice nav. Makes a bigger difference than I would have thought.

Thanks for the heads up on the Volvo pack.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:49 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:26 pm I played Skyrim back on the X360. If I want to get it for Steam, what is the best option right now? I see Anniversary Edition, Special Edition and a vanilla one.
The Anniversary Edition is the Special Edition with a bunch of content from the Creation Club included. Either version is fine, depending on whether or not you want the extra content.

Qualification: If you want to mod it, get the Special Edition. If you get the Anniversary Edition, you'll actually have to install a fan patch to downgrade it to the SE to use most mods with it.

Short explanation: The SE was the standard for years, and it was what all of the mods were built around. The AE was a last-ditch attempt by Bethesda to make money off of their paid mods system which had failed, but it broke practically every mod, and most modders weren't interesting in rewriting stuff they'd finalized years before just to support it.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:32 pm

Qualification: If you want to mod it, get the Special Edition. If you get the Anniversary Edition, you'll actually have to install a fan patch to downgrade it to the SE to use most mods with it.

Short explanation: The SE was the standard for years, and it was what all of the mods were built around. The AE was a last-ditch attempt by Bethesda to make money off of their paid mods system which had failed, but it broke practically every mod, and most modders weren't interesting in rewriting stuff they'd finalized years before just to support it.
Thanks for the info! I didn't know about the inability to mod.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:06 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:16 pm

I just bought Iberia a few days ago. It went on sale, but not as deeply as it is now. The bundle with the three I needed is only $13, so that's not too bad. I haven't seen much of Iberia yet as I always seem to be driving at night.

I like the ETS world better (it's huge and more diverse), but driving ATS is a little more enjoyable. I really miss the voice nav. Makes a bigger difference than I would have thought.

Thanks for the heads up on the Volvo pack.
I picked up the map packs I was missing for ETS2 plus the Volvo Construction Equipment DLC. Turns out the last time I played ETS2 was June of 2019, but since ETS2 and ATS use the same game engine it was pretty straightforward to get everything set up the way I like it, including the radio. It also helps that I finally have a new controller so I'm less likely to drift off the road into a guard rail :roll:

UPDATE: I got tired of driving at night in the games and missing the scenery, so I disabled fatigue and just sit in the rest areas and sleep when it is dark.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:37 pm

I wouldn't say 'inability', I'd say that it becomes more difficult and more potentially unstable.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

DLC might be the way I go during this sale. I have various ETS/ATS pieces I could add. I'll have to dig around and see.

Have no interest in the sale game. Couldn't figure out what they were talking about, and didn't feel like trying to decipher.

Despite having the client open, I find myself browsing the steam store via browser just to see the pricing info included in the augmented steam plugin. The "historical low" gives me a good idea of weather a title never discounts, or virtually gives itself away every so often.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:54 pm I saw that the Sims 4 was $5; might pick that up for so low-key fun.

Doing what I can to try and find the fake games for the Summer 22 badge. They're pretty damn crafty at hiding them!
$5 for the core Sims 4. $200 for all the expansions to actually add cool content. :lol:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

baelthazar wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:48 am
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:54 pm I saw that the Sims 4 was $5; might pick that up for so low-key fun.

$5 for the core Sims 4. $200 for all the expansions to actually add cool content. :lol:
The sale price for all the expansions totals CAD $848.95.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:00 pm

$589.45 USD
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:28 pm There are a couple of VR titles I've been wanting (Into the Radius and Vox Machinae), but they don't have much of a discount - both have been cheaper. So I'm waiting a day or two for the third party companies (Green Man, Fanatical, Humble, GoG, etc) to put up the 'counter offers' that have become popular and to let those filter onto Is There Any Deal. I'll likely get them regardless, but the two as they are now would eat up my entire budget.
And these two - Into the Radius VR (a bit like STALKER) and Vox Machinae (a bit like MechWarrior) - are what I ended up going with.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:02 pm
Max Peck wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:00 pm

$589.45 USD
Wow... I completely undershot this one in my joke! :lol:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It may be closer to $200 if you only include the _cool_ content.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's nice to see EA applies the same pricing logic to The Sims as is used for the Call of Duty series. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who wish to complete the "Free Fun" Clorthax activity in the sale but don't have the time or interest to grind through a lot of pages, PCGamesN has posted an article on how to hack the contest.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:13 pm For those who wish to complete the "Free Fun" Clorthax activity in the sale but don't have the time or interest to grind through a lot of pages, PCGamesN has posted an article on how to hack the contest.
I stumbled on that when I did it, but wrote it off to coincidence (and I was clicking on each of the categories once - click, click, click, scroll. )

It was, hands down, the least 'fun' Steam event in ages. It was mostly, "Look at our advertising for a while."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had no idea what was going on until that article let me get them all. thanx
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:43 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:37 pm

I wouldn't say 'inability', I'd say that it becomes more difficult and more potentially unstable.
I never really followed this issue all that closely, since I've never done much in the way of modding, but there may still be an issue with the current version of Skyrim SE. IIRC, the SE executable was patched at the same time as the AE was released and it may still be necessary to roll it back to a specific version to be compatible with legacy mods.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Take this with a grain of salt, as I haven't modded Skyrim recently myself, but normally it would just require swapping out the .exe for the previous one (which immediately became available for download in a thousand places), and likely only until one specific utility was updated (SKSE.) The core of the game remained unchanged, so most mods wouldn't need to be rebuilt. It was likely settled within a week.

The AE requires a complete fan patch to undo all of the changes to the entire game, in order to make it work with mods written for the previous version. Just the extra complexity added raises the risks of issues.