[Disney+] Obi-Wan Kenobi

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Carpet_pissr

Re: [Disney+] Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Anyone that thinks that kids (especially wee ones) aren't slippery as hell (or can be) have not tried to wrangle a small kid. :P

Reminds me of this old Ray Romano bit:
https://youtu.be/6ih1dswEJtY?t=86
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Daehawk wrote:Will never be the same. And if they did that doesn't that bring up rights and his estate receiving royalties?
They’ve already done it for Luke Skywalker.

The rights and estate question is a good one though. I don’t know the answer to that. But the voice actor community is freaking out a bit over this tech and what it means for the future.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Unagi wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:20 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:40 pm
Holman wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:38 pm
Unagi wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:41 pm
Unagi wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:40 pm
I don't recall - but remind me if I am wrong - I don't think we saw any sign of them on-planet at the start of the series, right?
It looks like there was C-3PO in the beginning, with Leia at home.
I have no time to look back, but I feel like I remember seeing a gold and a silver protocol droid in that Alderaan party scene. One of them speaks in a female voice and (I thiiiiink) it was the gold one.
It was the silver one.

There was a shot (which felt very deliberate) of the gold one in conversation, but you couldn't hear it's voice. I'm guessing it's not 3PO.
Confirmed on the silver one speaking - she serves food to Leia.
The gold one is more in the background, I've re-watched it, you actually can hear a line (@ 35:19) that he gives over the din. Sounds a lot like him. And - he's got that silver leg.
And now I see in the first Episode, at 38:50 - there is an Astromech that could easily be R2D2 in the background... which is kinda bummer for me - as I wanted Obi-wan's door droid to be a buried R2.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:32 am
I don't recall - but remind me if I am wrong - I don't think we saw any sign of them on-planet at the start of the series, right?
I have no time to look back, but I feel like I remember seeing a gold and a silver protocol droid in that Alderaan party scene. One of them speaks in a female voice and (I thiiiiink) it was the gold one.
It was the silver one.

There was a shot (which felt very deliberate) of the gold one in conversation, but you couldn't hear it's voice. I'm guessing it's not 3PO.
The gold one is more in the background, I've re-watched it, you actually can hear a line (@ 35:19) that he gives over the din. Sounds a lot like him. And - he's got that silver leg.
And now I see in the first Episode, at 38:50 - there is an Astromech that could easily be R2D2 in the background... which is kinda bummer for me - as I wanted Obi-wan's door droid to be a buried R2.
My son saw that as well. It was in the shadow and you saw the blue and white lights.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

naednek wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:46 am
Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:32 am And now I see in the first Episode, at 38:50 - there is an Astromech that could easily be R2D2 in the background... which is kinda bummer for me - as I wanted Obi-wan's door droid to be a buried R2.
My son saw that as well. It was in the shadow and you saw the blue and white lights.
Hmm.
Actually, in the scene I was talking about, R2 is fully lit and in one of the bright rooms on Alderon, it's right when Mr.&Mrs. Organa figure out that Leia was out in the forest.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

It was the silver one.

It can't be 3P0, right? Because he was built by Anakin on Tatooine and was only finished around Episode 1, right?
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Regarding R2-D2 and C3PO in Obi-Wan:
Spoiler:
They absolutely are, as confirmed by screen rant
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:24 pm
It was the silver one.

It can't be 3P0, right? Because he was built by Anakin on Tatooine and was only finished around Episode 1, right?
(head scratcher)

In this series, Obi-wan is protecting the young boy Luke on Tatooine (just before Episode IV), not young Anakin (Episode I)

3P0 is complete by the time of the Clone Wars / Episode 3 - and this is 10 years after all that.
Last edited by Unagi on Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Enlarge Image
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Someone discovered a can of Brasso.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I’m strangely fascinated by the footwear progression.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:33 pm I’m strangely fascinated by the footwear progression.
lol -that is so funny, so was I!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:42 pm
naednek wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:34 pm Hoping the finale pays off.
Allegedly the final episode is 93 minutes long, which is quite the increase from the regular weekly episodes...
Alas, only 51 minutes.

It was good. I'm sad the series is over. They didn't fix too many things, but they put a slightly better varnish on it all.

:D
JCC

Post by JCC »

Awesome finale! To my way of thinking they seemed to address the bulk of the continuity concerns - including the tenor of Leia's message to him in A New Hope.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:46 am Alas, only 51 minutes.

It was good. I'm sad the series is over. They didn't fix too many things, but they put a slightly better varnish on it all.
Good to know. I wasn't sure if I had the ability to sit for a 90+ minute episode of this show. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You have to remember that with all Disney + shows….ESPECIALLY the Star Wars shows….you have to subtract about 45 minutes for the credits at the end. They need to thank everyone in English, German, French, Mandarin, Slovakian, Swahili, Urdu, Pig Latin, Esperanto, Narnian, and Cajun.

I loved Augie "Ben" Doggie. It was everything that Boba Fett wasn’t. Which is a good thing. We got a great side story with Reva, some badass light saber fu, no cyber newsies, and James Earl Jones. Now that’s Star Wars.

I was surprised to learn that light sabers have a stun setting though.
Spoiler:
I mean, how else was Reva able to take a long cruise and run through the desert 24 minutes after getting run through with one?
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:33 pm I was surprised to learn that light sabers have a stun setting though.
Spoiler:
I mean, how else was Reva able to take a long cruise and run through the desert 24 minutes after getting run through with one?
Well, they waved that one away before anyone could complain about it.:
Spoiler:
Revenge does wonders for the will to live, don't you think?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I thought the series had its moments (and episode 5 in particular was great), though overall it left me wishing that they would just leave established characters and stories alone and move on to new characters / planets / stories. Kill the past, if you will.

Regarding the finale that we are discussing:
Spoiler:
WTF Obi-Wan leaves Vader to live again??? Like at least at the end of Revenge of the Sith he can plausibly believe that leaving him burning in lava alone on a remote part of Mustafar will almost certainly kill him. Here Vader's wounded but still standing. They don't even really give a reason for Obi-Wan leaving - he just says goodbye.
"Well, I gotta go - have fun killing lots of innocent people Darth."
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:29 pm
El Guapo wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:24 pm
It was the silver one.

(head scratcher)

In this series, Obi-wan is protecting the young boy Luke on Tatooine (just before Episode IV), not young Anakin (Episode I)

3P0 is complete by the time of the Clone Wars / Episode 3 - and this is 10 years after all that.
:doh:

In my defense, the "young blonde boys being raised on Tatooine" stories are blending together in my head.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

El Guapo wrote:I thought the series had its moments (and episode 5 in particular was great), though overall it left me wishing that they would just leave established characters and stories alone and move on to new characters / planets / stories. Kill the past, if you will.
I think that's been my biggest problem with both Obi-Wan and Boba Fett, and why I enjoyed The Mandalorian more. Knowing that all this stuff is official canon now, I can't help but look at Boba Fett in the original trilogy and think, "This was before he met a rad teenage biker gang." I don't need to know what Leia was like as a wisecracking 10-year old any more than I need to know in which corner of his cave Obi-Wan took his morning dumps.

Give me all the new stuff you can shove down the throat, but the constant filling in of backstory just whittles away the shadowy backstory constructs in my mind and replaces them with vivid, parkour-fueled cringe-acting replacements.

Re: your finale spoiler:
Spoiler:
That was my initial reaction as well, but I justified it in that Obi-Wan never gave up hope that Anakin could be redeemed. And ultimately he was right. While saving Vader did lead to a massive loss of life, it also ultimately brought down the Empire when Vader finally turned. And given that it would be another decade before the Empire's true might peaked, I can't really fault Obi-Wan for underestimating the danger Vader posed. It would be a bit like being blamed for not killing Hitler in 1933.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:11 am
El Guapo wrote:I thought the series had its moments (and episode 5 in particular was great), though overall it left me wishing that they would just leave established characters and stories alone and move on to new characters / planets / stories. Kill the past, if you will.
I think that's been my biggest problem with both Obi-Wan and Boba Fett, and why I enjoyed The Mandalorian more. Knowing that all this stuff is official canon now, I can't help but look at Boba Fett in the original trilogy and think, "This was before he met a rad teenage biker gang." I don't need to know what Leia was like as a wisecracking 10-year old any more than I need to know in which corner of his cave Obi-Wan took his morning dumps.

Give me all the new stuff you can shove down the throat, but the constant filling in of backstory just whittles away the shadowy backstory constructs in my mind and replaces them with vivid, parkour-fueled cringe-acting replacements.
Oddly enough, I kept watching secretly hoping that they'd kill off young Luke and Leia, kicking off the Alternate Universe Star Wars where the Empire lasts hundreds of years. Not that it was actually going to happen, but it would have been a ballsy move. :)
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Spoiler:
That was my initial reaction as well, but I justified it in that Obi-Wan never gave up hope that Anakin could be redeemed. And ultimately he was right. While saving Vader did lead to a massive loss of life, it also ultimately brought down the Empire when Vader finally turned. And given that it would be another decade before the Empire's true might peaked, I can't really fault Obi-Wan for underestimating the danger Vader posed. It would be a bit like being blamed for not killing Hitler in 1933.
Re: Re: Finale Spoiler
Spoiler:
It's not as simple as not killing Hitler in 1933. First, Anakin has a close relationship with Obi-Wan. Anakin was taken in by Obi-Wan at a young age. It's basically a father/son relationship. Saying he didn't kill him is like saying you didn't kill your son. Could you? Even if you know he's going to kill others? Could you really kill your son? Second, killing Vader doesn't destroy the empire. Vader isn't the head of the empire, Palpatine is. The empire would just continue functioning just fine without Vader. At best you're chopping off one head of a hydra. So I think it's perfectly fine (and honestly normal) that Obi-Wan didn't kill Vader when he had the chance. I have more trouble with his amazingly fast shift from barely being able to use the force to all powerful jedi but I'm willing to let that go.
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

EvilHomer3k wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:13 am
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
It's not as simple as not killing Hitler in 1933. First, Anakin has a close relationship with Obi-Wan. Anakin was taken in by Obi-Wan at a young age. It's basically a father/son relationship. Saying he didn't kill him is like saying you didn't kill your son. Could you? Even if you know he's going to kill others? Could you really kill your son? Second, killing Vader doesn't destroy the empire. Vader isn't the head of the empire, Palpatine is. The empire would just continue functioning just fine without Vader. At best you're chopping off one head of a hydra. So I think it's perfectly fine (and honestly normal) that Obi-Wan didn't kill Vader when he had the chance. I have more trouble with his amazingly fast shift from barely being able to use the force to all powerful jedi but I'm willing to let that go.
Re: Re: Re: Finale Spoiler
Spoiler:
The thing is the whole point of that scene was Obi-Wan accepting that Anakin was gone and had been 'killed' by Vader. If he's accepted that (and it sure seems like he has) then why isn't he killing Vader? If he hasn't....shouldn't he be trying to reach Anakin or something?

The core problem is that he doesn't give *any* reason - he literally just says goodbye. There's no "I just can't do it", no "I'm never going to give up on you" or something like that. They might as well have said "well unfortunately I can't kill you since you're still alive in Episode IV, so might as well call it a day."
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

To El Guapo's point, I think it once again comes back around to the writing. It's really been the biggest flaw of the series, and kind of underpins the other problems people have had with performances, flat characters, etc.

I feel like I'm bashing the show a lot, but I'm honestly not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I enjoyed watching it and was suitably entertained, despite my criticisms. Star Wars is Star Wars, and as a fan I'm always going to enjoy it.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

:wink:
El Guapo wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:41 pm
EvilHomer3k wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:13 am
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Re: Re: Re: Finale Spoiler
Spoiler:
The thing is the whole point of that scene was Obi-Wan accepting that Anakin was gone and had been 'killed' by Vader. If he's accepted that (and it sure seems like he has) then why isn't he killing Vader? If he hasn't....shouldn't he be trying to reach Anakin or something?

The core problem is that he doesn't give *any* reason - he literally just says goodbye. There's no "I just can't do it", no "I'm never going to give up on you" or something like that. They might as well have said "well unfortunately I can't kill you since you're still alive in Episode IV, so might as well call it a day."
It was the look in his eyes, man! We gotta make our own inner dialogue.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I enjoyed the finale. It wasn’t perfect, but Star Wars rarely is. Overall I was really looking forward to this series and I wasn’t disappointed. I’d happily watch a season 2 if they want to make one.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:15 pm
It was the look in his eyes, man! We gotta make our own inner dialogue.
That was one of the more powerful scenes in Star Wars. Ranks right up there with Return of the Jedi, when Vader says "If you will not turn to the Dark Side, then perhaps she will." and Luke goes ape shit on Vader.
Spoiler:
The look by Obi-Wan to me said it all, he couldn't kill him, the pain in his eyes of seeing the truth but still couldn't do it. And the hatred you could see in the one eye of Vader. Probably the best acting my Hayden in his whole time in the Star Wars universe (difference between a director that wants emotion from the characters and a director that is concentrating on what cool effects he can add in).

With the inquisitors, if Obi-Wan kills Vader, then one of them steps into his place. The Emperor was the one that had to die.
Last edited by Lassr on Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:11 am any more than I need to know in which corner of his cave Obi-Wan took his morning dumps.
Quoted for teh funny.

Coffee spew moment.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Finale spoilers:
Spoiler:
Writing this before I read the other replies.

So, I enjoyed the series as a whole and the finale. But it didn't change my opinion that it needn't exist. It is, however, a triumph for those who care about franchise unity. Conversely, I found it tonally bizarre how it tried to tie itself into both the original and prequel eras. (The Emperor's appearance, Kenobi calling Vader "Darth", etc.)

Seeing and hearing Anakin through the broken mask are, on the other hand, a flash backwards. This was a great effect and will be a moving link for fans of the prequels-era media, but they destroy the mystique of Vader entering the original trilogy. (But I guess no one's watching this who hasn't already seen all the films, so you could argue it's irrelevant.) Though I personally didn't need to be reminded that Lucas believed a snotty, whiny baby-man was under Vader's mantle rather than a hulking, soulless monster more akin to Skarsgard's recent portrayal of Baron Harkonnen.

I'm sure I was just missing the thematic nuances as I was getting sleepy, but why didn't Kenobi kill Vader, practically speaking? He knew the heinous acts he was capable of committing. Edit: I've read other thoughts on this now and I get it, but I'm still unhappy with how this encounter was resolved.

Kenobi sure got to Tatooine in a hurry! Must have been just around the corner.

The next decade won't be kind to Owen's and Beru's features. Perhaps they should try sunscreen?

This is such a disjointed franchise at this point, but I remain a fan.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
naednek

Post by naednek »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:09 am I thought the series had its moments (and episode 5 in particular was great), though overall it left me wishing that they would just leave established characters and stories alone and move on to new characters / planets / stories. Kill the past, if you will.

Spoiler:
WTF Obi-Wan leaves Vader to live again??? Like at least at the end of Revenge of the Sith he can plausibly believe that leaving him burning in lava alone on a remote part of Mustafar will almost certainly kill him. Here Vader's wounded but still standing. They don't even really give a reason for Obi-Wan leaving - he just says goodbye.
well considering this takes place prior to New hope and the rest of the trilogy, not much you can do about that...
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

naednek wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:32 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:09 am I thought the series had its moments (and episode 5 in particular was great), though overall it left me wishing that they would just leave established characters and stories alone and move on to new characters / planets / stories. Kill the past, if you will.

Spoiler:
well considering this takes place prior to New hope and the rest of the trilogy, not much you can do about that...
Well, it is their script, of course, there is something they could do about ElG's point. The core of the complaint is just that the script shouldn't have put Obi-wan in a position to do that, at least without it being a little more obvious why he felt it was the right choice.
Spoiler:
While I do agree to the arguement that Vader would have just been replaced - it's hard to forget what an asset they felt Vader was so it's hard to think of why Gereral Obi-Wan wouldn't have understood the value in taking that piece off the board...

I thought the last battle ending would have been better if somehow they had the head Inquisitor (and his team) come and rescue Vader... leaving Vader even more shamed/infuriated by the experience.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

I enjoyed the show but they really could have devoted 5 minutes per episode to give Reva a little more character development. Based on what we saw she was just one crazy woman who went from wanting revenge on Vader because he killed younglings to wanting to kill a child herself.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

So, (spoilers follow)

It was just pointed out to me that the 6 episodes of the Obi-wan series reflect the first 6 episodes of the Star Wars movies.

Episode I: Both start on Taatoine - with a force-sensitive child (little Anakin in Episode I, and little boy Luke in the Obi-wan series)
Episode II: The movie takes us to Corrisant with the gritty underbelly of the city scenes and bounty hunter chase, the series moves to that gritty city with a big bounty hunter chase.
Episode III: Obi-wan and Anakin duel and one is nearly burned alive, the series has Obi-wan and Anakin duel and one is nearly burned alive.
Episode IV: In A New Hope, Leia is rescued from a secured Imperial facility. In the series, Leia is rescued from a secured Imperial facility.
Episode V: For both - The good guys are pinned down and just barely escape Vader. For both: Arguably the best of the 6 episodes.
Episode VI: Luke knows it won't end until he faces Vader alone in a duel and explains this to Leia, who is quite worried... The series has Obi-wan know it won't end until he faces Vader alone in a duel and explains this to Leia, who is quite worried.

I thought that was kinda fun.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

It's like poetry. They rhyme.

Or... the franchise is so bereft of fresh inspiration it soft rebooted itself without realizing it.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Sudy wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:04 pm It's like poetry. They rhyme.
I gotta a bad feeling about this.

But yeah, that was George's schtick.

I think it was done on purpose.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah it's one of the things I love and hate about Star Wars. Love because it's a neat art form, and gives some sense of security and familiarity. Hate, because it boxes writers in creatively.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:18 am Yeah it's one of the things I love and hate about Star Wars. Love because it's a neat art form, and gives some sense of security and familiarity. Hate, because it boxes writers in creatively.
I suspect that writers are boxed in more by studio executives' paralyzing fears about making anything materially different from a prior thing that made money.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

El Guapo wrote:I suspect that writers are boxed in more by studio executives' paralyzing fears about making anything materially different from a prior thing that made money.
I think you're definitely right in terms of movie/TV. I see it happen in the books as well though. However, I think on the literature front it's less about cyclical story arcs and more about making sure everything stays canon. It's why as much as I like the *idea* of all media being canon, it makes the universe far less exciting than the old expanded universe content.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

I enjoyed it. It cleared two concerns I had for certain.
Spoiler:
1. When they fight on the Deathstar, Vader says, "when last we met, I was but a learner. Now I am the master." I figured that meant the hadn't seen each other since Mustafar. I wondered how they were going to have them face off against each other after a statement like that. Well, clearly Obi Wan was still the master in that last encounter.

2. I thought it was a masterful stroke to include Vader's line of "I killed him!" referring to "Anakin", which is probably where Obi Wan justified this statement to Luke: "A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights. He betrayed and murdered your father."
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

You guys have come up with (or at least written here) some ideas I hadn’t heard or thought of. Interesting takes.
Black Lives Matter