[movie] Jurassic World Dominion

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Rumpy

Re: [movie] Jurassic World Dominion

Post by Rumpy »

Now the big question is if the actual method used in Jurassic Park would actually work, and if we actually should. A similar question has been posed about wooly mammoths.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

We're almost to the theater. Don't make me turn this car around.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Rumpy wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:40 pm
Now the big question is if the actual method used in Jurassic Park would actually work, and if we actually should. A similar question has been posed about wooly mammoths.
I read the article and the sample was seriously degraded, they were not even positive it was from a dinosaur. IMO it makes reconstruction less, not more likely.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Quit poking holes in my narrative that letting children watch dinosaurs chomp toilet-dwellers in half is necessary for the future of humanity!

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:30 pm
Rumpy wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:40 pm
I read the article and the sample was seriously degraded, they were not even positive it was from a dinosaur. IMO it makes reconstruction less, not more likely.
Yeah, and that's a big problem whenever the subject of samples comes up. Too degraded to do much of anything aside from perhaps putting it in a museum.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I get a weird feeling all this DNA and such chat leads to Hepcat necromancing Bea Arthur's corpse and using DNA to start a sex park.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Although wooly mammoth may be more viable. I can see it now:

MAMMOTH

Starring Mark Whalberg and Bruce Willis. With a cameo by Nicolas Cage.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
MHS

Post by MHS »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:46 pm I get a weird feeling all this DNA and such chat leads to Hepcat necromancing Bea Arthur's corpse and using DNA to start a sex park.
Start?
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

MHS wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:52 pm
Daehawk wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:46 pm I get a weird feeling all this DNA and such chat leads to Hepcat necromancing Bea Arthur's corpse and using DNA to start a sex park.
Start?
Ya you're probably right. Im behind.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:48 pm Although wooly mammoth may be more viable. I can see it now:

MAMMOTH

Starring Mark Whalberg and Bruce Willis. With a cameo by Nicolas Cage.
It's only a matter of time, isn't it? I'm actually surprised it hasn't been done yet.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well at least I know who to blame it on when they do make it.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

MHS wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:52 pm
Start?
Just think of an entire park filled with hepcats. You could purchase Monte Cristo sandwiches from a vending machine, and just spend your days feeding them from a park bench. Or make fart sounds and watch them fall out of nearby trees after they dislodge themselves from laughing hysterically.

At night, the gentle sounds of the hepcats yelling “I know you are, but what am I?” will delight your children. Even more thrilling for your young ones will be the baby hepcats that will walk right up to them and nuzzle them affectionately as they try to find a wallet or a loose clasp on their jewelry.

But one thing to remember is that feral hepcats can and will attack unattended pets if they think your furry friend disagrees with them about the quality of a tv show or movie.
He won. Period.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I will stand outside the fence and blast CW shows at them. It makes them run around all funny. Sometimes they run until they fall over. That's funny, too.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I find the 30% issued by Rotten Tomatoes to be... accurate. This franchise is tired out.
Spoiler:
Seeing the original three characters on screen again is the best thing about this film, but they do little new or interesting and are crowded out by a bloated cast. The memories they conjure make Pratt's and Howard's characters look extremely shallow.

I enjoyed the first Jurassic World enough to give it a pass. It was very much a Force Awakens kind of retread. But I found the second film completely ridiculous and couldn't keep my eyes from constantly rolling back into my head. I guess I'm happy to say I liked the third film more, but we're still talking about a retread of a retread.

I don't know how BD Wong's character gets redemption? It seems like he should be locked up for the rest of his life whether he delivered the solution or not.

The premise itself isn't bad... dinosaurs in the wild, and a Monsanto-like manufactured plague/famine. But it's just portrayed so outlandishly. If you're a kid or you think of it like a cartoon, maybe it's not so bad.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Apparently this movie is so bad it has set the franchise back 65 million years.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

You know what they should do? Make a Timeline sequel where to go back and to try and stop the Jurassic Park project from being resurrected. :D

I still feel that the main reason why these movies have become so bad is that while the first two movies at least had some basis in research, these new ones have all but abandoned that precept. I wouldn't even go so far as to call these ones science-fiction, but science-fantasy. Then you bring the old-guard into these , and while they had defined roles in the older movies, here because they abandoned the precepts, they don't appear to serve the same role. The end-result is a movie series that is grasping at straws.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A huge part of the appeal of the original was, first off, it was (loosely) tied to a well-written and popular novel, and second, seeing realistic dinosaurs like that was a novel experience. And the originals were stories about people. These later ones are Hollywood action flicks, and in an age where CGI is ubiquitous, seeing dinosaurs isn't particularly special.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

You guys are a tough crowd. :shifty:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Dinosaurs are a tougher crowd. It should all be in the past :P
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
EvilHomer3k
Forum Moderator

Post by EvilHomer3k »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:43 pm A huge part of the appeal of the original was, first off, it was (loosely) tied to a well-written and popular novel, and second, seeing realistic dinosaurs like that was a novel experience. And the originals were stories about people. These later ones are Hollywood action flicks, and in an age where CGI is ubiquitous, seeing dinosaurs isn't particularly special.
I agree with your take almost completely. That said, I went with my 9 year old and we enjoyed it. My biggest disappointment is that we went to an IMAX 3d Showing. I expected 3D and (at the very least) an Imax theatre. Drove 90 minutes to the Quad Cities because the IMAX in Cedar Rapids closed. We didn't get an IMAX theatre (well we technically did but it was just a curved screen) and the only really good 3d part was the opening scene. The 3d felt tacked on for the most part. I was really hoping for a 3d dinosaur running at me or a 3d t-rex mouth chomping down but got very little 3d. It did give the movie some depth that was nice but it was very underutilized.

As for the movie as I said, we enjoyed it. It was an action movie and a pretty basic script. It's nowhere near as good as the original for all the reasons Blackhawk stated but it was nostalgic and fun. The original cast was great to see. Story could have been better but it was interesting and things moved at a good pace. My major complaint was:
Spoiler:
The hand thing? Really? Sure it can work on an animal you trained but to pull that out over and over was just so cringey.
Otherwise most of the issues were things I can forgive because overall, it was a fun summer movie. It may have been partially because this was our first movie in a theatre in a long time but it was still great to see giant dinosaurs walking around on screen. Perhaps the 3d did more for that than I give it credit but I'm happy we went to the theater rather than waiting for it to stream at home (even though I have a nice home theater system set up).
That sound of the spoon scraping over the can ribbing as you corral the last ravioli or two is the signal that a great treat is coming. It's the washboard solo in God's own
bluegrass band of comfort food. - LawBeefaroni
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I haven't seen it yet, but my 10-year old is Jurassic Park obsessed. He binged all the movies and Camp Cretaceous before Dominion came out, and plays all the Jurassic Park videogames he can find.

My wife took him to see it since my daughter didn't want to go. When he came back I asked him what he thought and his reaction was, "Eh....I guess it was OK."

That told me all I needed to know. :D I'll catch it when it hits streaming.