Borderlands Next -- Tiny Tina's Wonderlands!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

WYBaugh

Re: Borderlands Next -- Tiny Tina's Wonderlands!

Post by WYBaugh »

I am a Borderlands whore....downloading now.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

My 2-3 hour hot take is that it's better than BL3 in terms of story. The combat and such is very much Borderlands with fantasy sprinkled on top. That's what I was expecting and I think at least so far it's good. Writing is wayyy better than 3. I have laughed many times in those two hours.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

loving the huge bag size you get at the start, lots and lots of space. Of course i tried out a second class already and did not die and the first boss fight this time. This is a pretty damn slick game so far.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It'll have to wait for now, but it is #1 on my wishlist.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Jaddison wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:21 am loving the huge bag size you get at the start, lots and lots of space. Of course i tried out a second class already and did not die and the first boss fight this time. This is a pretty damn slick game so far.
Inventory management is my biggest gripe. And well it's sucked in previous games as well, at least with the mouse and keyboard it's a total PITA to manage inventory. They throw so many things at you and then it's had to navigate the inventory. The spells I couldn't even figure out what they did from looking at the description. It's just easier to equip and try it. Eh... Oh and if you are in the shops it's super easy to accidentally click on an item and buy it. I've done that like 3 times already. :x
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Octavious wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:04 pm
Jaddison wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:21 am loving the huge bag size you get at the start, lots and lots of space. Of course i tried out a second class already and did not die and the first boss fight this time. This is a pretty damn slick game so far.
Inventory management is my biggest gripe. And well it's sucked in previous games as well, at least with the mouse and keyboard it's a total PITA to manage inventory. They throw so many things at you and then it's had to navigate the inventory. The spells I couldn't even figure out what they did from looking at the description. It's just easier to equip and try it. Eh... Oh and if you are in the shops it's super easy to accidentally click on an item and buy it. I've done that like 3 times already. :x
I have learned to use the various sorts of my inventory to better understand what I have.....as for the spells I hear you on that.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

"I seduce the drawbridge!!"

I wonder if my GM will be as lenient as Tina :)
Zarathud

Borderlands Next -- Tiny Tina's Wonderlands!

Post by Zarathud »

IceBear wrote:"I seduce the drawbridge!!"

I wonder if my GM will be as lenient as Tina :)
OMG this is my oldest daughter who tried to seduce a dragon. And the telepathic voice in her head, which told her to jump into a ravine to prove her love.

And fungi too. Which actually worked because it was a poison trap and asexual beings can be easily stimulated to release spores. Too bad her Constitution has so damn high, everyone else paid the price.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Started again from scratch to try out the harder difficulty level- unlike all the Borderlands before there are 3 levels of difficulty. I had picked the middle difficulty initially. There are definitely more quality loot drops and more $s on harder level and it doesn't seem to be way more difficult than the middle level. Haven't had a legendary drop at all for any of my characters (have tried everything but Sporemaster) so BL3 it ain't.

Another new twist is there are drops for individual character customization like eye color, eye shadow etc.

Overall, another great entry in the Borderlands series.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Had a hard crash last night where it blue screened my pc :(
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

According to an article I read this morning, it looks like improving your loot drops is baked into character progression, so it isn't surprising that it doesn't rain legendaries early on.
The Borderlands series prides itself on its looter/shooter gameplay, creating an addicting loop where players farm for the best legendary weapons possible. The same can be said for Tiny Tina's Wonderlands. Though initial loot drops are pretty stingy, there are a few things that players can do to increase their chances of getting a coveted legendary item.

Once players have beaten the final boss, the Chaos Chamber also opens up and allows for endlessly replayable dungeon runs that have a good chance of doling out legendary loot. We'll be adding to this guide as we learn more about dedicated loot drops from bosses.

How to increase your loot luck in Tiny Tina's Wonderlands
  • Golden Dice: Golden Dice can be found throughout the world that will permanently increase a player's loot luck by a small percentage each time. With well over 200 Golden Dice in the game, finding them all has some serious benefits.
  • Chaos Level: Chaos Levels work a little bit like Borderlands 3's Mayhem Levels. As players successfully complete runs in the Chaos Chamber, they can increase their Chaos Level, increasing the chances for better loot drops.
  • Myth Rank: Similar to Guardian Ranks, Myth Ranks are unlocked after players hit max level. Players can then continue to earn experience towards Myth Ranks, some of which involve improving your loot luck.
  • Item attributes: Certain items like amulets will sometimes feature attributes that increase your luck while wearing them.
  • Leveling up: As players level up naturally throughout the game, their luck will permanently increase as well.
  • Luck Shrine: Across the Overworld, players will come across shrines that need four pieces to unlock. The Luck Shrine past Karnok's Wall will grant players increased luck once unlocked. The shrine pieces can be found in nearby dungeons and secret areas in the Overworld.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Critical Role Twitch channel is doing a one-shot based on TTW tonight. The Bunker Master is Ashley Burch, who voiced Tiny Tina. Also playing are Laura Bailey, Travis Willingham, and Ashely Johnson from the CR cast.

I'm gonna give it a watch.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:22 pm Critical Role Twitch channel is doing a one-shot based on TTW tonight. The Bunker Master is Ashley Burch, who voiced Tiny Tina. Also playing are Laura Bailey, Travis Willingham, and Ashely Johnson from the CR cast.

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check it out when it gets posted (assuming it does.)
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Should be on their YouTube within a few days. I'm gonna just watch it live.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

for those playing this- I did not realize there are now health barrels you can shoot that restore health....I figured all barrels near me was bad
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'm still having lots of fun with this. We finished the mane game last night and are now playing with the epilog content and chaos chambers. Overall it was a fun ride and I'm really looking forward to the DLC.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

DLC out tomorrow.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How are PUGS for this? Is it fun grouping like the old days of BL1 and such or is it full of nitwits who just want to rush here and there and shoot stuff or are out to ruin your fun game time?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:53 pm
Cylus Maxii wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:22 pm Critical Role Twitch channel is doing a one-shot based on TTW tonight. The Bunker Master is Ashley Burch, who voiced Tiny Tina. Also playing are Laura Bailey, Travis Willingham, and Ashely Johnson from the CR cast.

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check it out when it gets posted (assuming it does.)
/edit - just pretend that's a video and use it as a link.

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've never particularly enjoyed Borderlands. Partly because the gameplay just felt too fast and frenetic, and partly because the whole post-apocalyptic setting just never interested me in the least. So I had mostly just ignored Tiny Tina's Wonderlands. I did try the demo(ish) version thing for about 20 minutes, but it didn't grab me much.

A friend has been trying to convince me to play, and forwarded me a couple of the trailers. I legitimately burst out laughing just watching the gameplay and hearing the dialog. It was on sale for 20% off and I had another 20% coupon, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I put in about 6 hours today, and absolutely loving it so far. The D&D theme does wonders for the game, and where I was 'meh' with BL games before, I'm finding this one to be a blast. My only concern is that it's going to get difficult to the point where I simply can't keep up, as I'm generally terrible with shooters. We'll see how it goes.

Glad I gave it a look, been a fantastic suprise.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:36 pm My only concern is that it's going to get difficult to the point where I simply can't keep up, as I'm generally terrible with shooters. We'll see how it goes.
If you have an at least semi-planned character, the game becomes very easy. If you're not great at shooters, then build your character with that in mind and it'll help (don't have a build that relies heavily on gun crits, for instance, as they require quite a bit of accuracy to hit weak points. Build with some survival skills - ward, dark magic, health, health regen, etc.) For instance, in BL2 you could build Gaige (a character) in a way that required almost zero accuracy, but was very very powerful.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This may be the funniest game I've ever played. The writing is absolutely superb and the comic timing is just spot on.

I just finished a quest where you help a metal band, and it was obvious that the writers were very familiar with the genre. When they quipped "Roots. Bloody Roots." as they were chopping branches off a literal bleeding tree, I about lost it. :lol:

I went with Spore Warden/Graveborn for a pet build. Having some strong pets seemed to be a good fit for my general lack of skill. Just dinged 20, still having a blast. Been a long time since I've enjoyed a game this much.

Interesting that both games I'm currently playing have Ashley Burch as the main voice actor (Tiny Tina's and Horizon). She does a really fantastic job.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

For those who play BL2 and the original Tiny Tina D&D DLC, the story is really touching.

And the bard was spot on. His opus was so very in character.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Fun game, but it’s starting to overstay it’s welcome a bit. I’m pushing 25 hours, which a really long time for an FPS (to me anyways). I just started chapter 8 (of 10) and have started skipping side quests so I might actually have a chance of finishing it.

While there have been the occasional amusing bits, it’s felt like the story has ground to a halt. Partly because the gameplay is starting to feel awfully samey, and partly because they’ve moved to giving big dialog chunks right in the middle of hectic battles. So I’ve missed lots of what’s going on because I can’t really pay attention to long exposition dumps while I’m, you know, trying not to die. :lol:

I do think it’s done a great job of balancing the difficulty though. I’m terrible at shooters, but have been able to get through it without many issues. It’s been challenging, but not overwhelmingly so.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

According to Epic, I've played 3d 6h 17m 45s. I'm still having fun, but I'm getting to the point that I'm starting to get distracted.

I enjoyed the story. It wasn't quite as funny as the original Bunkers & Badasses, but it's close. Gameplay wise, it's better than 3 or The Pre-Sequel. I'd put probably put it next to 2, so above the first game, too. It took a lot of the systems that 3 innovated and polished them up. Loot balance is a lot better - by this point in 3 I had a dozen bank alts just to keep the legendaries sorted. This time I've only filled about half of my shared bank. And there are some really touching story bits tied to BL2 and the Tiny Tiny DLC, too. It wasn't perfect. The encounters/dungeons were a little repetitive once you'd seen the locations a couple of times.

Tip: Don't worry about waiting until the endgame to do side quests in order to get maxed out rewards. Once you earn a quest reward, leveled versions of that reward are added to the 'loot pool' for the vending machines.

I'm currently coming close to Myth Rank 40. For those that don't know, once you hit the level cap (currently 40), you unlock Myth Ranks. It lets you level up again, putting points into a series of trees that don't give more skills, but give a flat bonus (+ to each stat, +X% crit/gun damage/reload/melee/and so on.) Most of the options listed cap out at 10 points each (so you can increase each stat by 10, which is a lot), although each of the four trees has a capstone that doesn't have a limit - you can theoretically level up your Myth Rank forever. And the nice part about it is that if you make a new character later on, as soon as they hit level 40, they also gain access to the same Myth Rank (it's shared across all of your characters), meaning a huge boost once you hit the level cap.

Tip: You gain Myth Ranks quickly early on, but they slow down as you go, and eventually become pretty slow (I'm still getting one or two ranks per side quest at 40.) I'd suggest filling in the stat boosts plus the loot luck first - max them out to ten - then do the other capped skills, and save the uncapped final one for last.

I've finished all of the shrines, dice, and collectibles in the Overworld. I've got about 75% of the lucky dice in the levels, plus a good chunk of the various other collectibles. Right now I'm running at Chaos Level 5, which honestly isn't that high (it goes up to 30-something.) For those who haven't played, once you finish the main quest, you gain access to the Chaos Chamber. Completing a trial gives you access to Chaos Levels. Increasing your Chaos Level increases the stats (damage, health, etc) of all of the enemies in the game, but increases the quality of the loot as well, and unlocks new types of loot. You can go back into the chaos chamber and run through the trial again at your highest Chaos Level to unlock two more levels of chaos. So right now I'd need to run the trail at Chaos Level 5 to unlock 6 and 7, then run it at 7 to unlock 8 and 9.

Tip: The Lucky Dice increase your loot luck, which improves the odds you'll get better loot as you play. But more significantly, they unlock that boost for your whole account, so collecting them gets you the increased loot on any future characters you play - no need to unlock them with every character.

The Chaos Chamber itself is surprisingly fun. You go in and run a dungeon - a series of encounters (like a single room/mini level full of enemies), and a set number of lives (respawns.) As you finish each encounter, you are awarded with crystals and a choice between two things, including a blessing (a bonus for yourself), extra loot, extra crystals, or a choice later on. You make your choice, do the next level, and choose again. If you chose the choice later on, then an NPC will spawn at the end of the next section with one of two options to pick from, each of which adds a mutator to the rest of the run. These are similar to the mutators in BL3, things like enemies all being elemental, enemies being tied together with beams, enemies spawning healing orbs that heal other enemies, etc. They're classified as easy (helps you), medium (adds challenge), and hard (adds a lot of challenge.) But the more and harder options you choose, the more crystals you're rewarded with at the end of each section.

It's very much a push-your-luck mechanic - how much harder can you make it without getting yourself killed? The further you push it, the more crystals you get (significantly more), but the greater the chance that you'll die more, run out of lives, and finish the run without the big reward at the end. Plus, as you go, you can spend crystals on significant boosts - like +25% damage, XX% damage resistance, extra lives, increased health/ammo/shield/etc, all for the remainder of the entire run. Each one you buy costs more crystals - the first is only 15, but they increase quickly. Again, you're trading your end-mission rewards for increased chances of survival.

And when you're done, all of those crystals you came out the other side with become a currency. You end up in a room full of statues, one for each type of gear and each type of weapon. Feed them crystals, and they puke out loot. The more you feed them, the more loot (and I have a feeling that the longer you feed them in one go, the better the loot - there is a cap at 500 crystals per feeding, although you can feed the same statue another 500 over and over.) I've never seen worse than a blue, and I rarely leave without at least a couple of legendaries.

The whole thing is surprisingly fun, with a push-your-luck mechanic combined with the option to trade part of your final reward for boosts as you go.

So, final tip (map spoilers): All of those collectibles - find/track them here. A free account will give you the ability to save your progress on the map.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Just finished the main story, really liked the way it wrapped up. I don't have any context for Tina's backstory, but it all seemed very sweet. Not sure that I have much interest in messing around with the endgame, but we'll see.

Definitely glad I gave it a shot. That's the first FPS game I've actually finished in years, and easily the most time I've ever spent with one.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:49 pm Just finished the main story, really liked the way it wrapped up. I don't have any context for Tina's backstory, but it all seemed very sweet.
Big spoilers for the other games
Spoiler:

One of the playable characters in BL1 was Roland. He was an NPC - a major one - in Borderlands 2, and Tina looked up to him quite a bit. One of the big events in BL2 was the villain shooting and killing Roland. The best DLC for BL2 was about Tina running a game of Bunkers and Badasses with her friends as she (at 14 years old) tried to deal with the death of Roland through the adventure she was running. It was a very touching story, and ended with her finally admitting that her father figure was dead.
Spoilers for the Wonderlands story
Spoiler:
The Notetaker was Roland. He was the one that introduced her to the game in the first place, and sets the stage for her turning to B&B for consolation later on.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Thanks BH, figured it was something along those lines. Big shout out to a Ashley Burch (again) for her voice work. There were a couple of lines that could have been very throw-away that she made heartbreaking (talking about the group continuing, towards the end). Wanda Sykes was awesome as Frette too.

Was thinking about it further, and I think that 30 hours is the most I’ve spent with a FPS game since the original Unreal Tournament. So from the perspective of getting a non-shooter gamer into their world, it was a remarkable success. Interestingly, my favorite guns were acid SMGs, which reminded me exactly of the Pulse Gun from UT.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:23 pmThere were a couple of lines that could have been very throw-away that she made heartbreaking (talking about the group continuing, towards the end).
Very mild BL2 lore spoiler, Wonderlands spoiler:
Spoiler:
For a little more context, when Tina was a child (she was 13 - not 14 - in BL2, my mistake), she and her parents were sold to one of the nasty corporations for use in weapons experiments. Tina got to watch her parents die before escaping (using a grenade) and living on her own (and now obsessed with bombs.) That's when she would have met Roland.
By the time of BL3, Tina was an adult. This was her introduction in BL2:

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands hits Steam on June 23 with Special Launch Price!
Hark, Fatemakers: Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is coming to Steam on June 23! For a limited time, you'll be able to pick it up for a special launch price*, and claim the Golden Hero Armor Pack** on Steam from June 23 until July 7, 2022 at 10:00 AM PT / 1:00 PM ET!

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:56 pm Tiny Tina's Wonderlands hits Steam on June 23 with Special Launch Price!
Hark, Fatemakers: Tiny Tina's Wonderlands is coming to Steam on June 23! For a limited time, you'll be able to pick it up for a special launch price*, and claim the Golden Hero Armor Pack** on Steam from June 23 until July 7, 2022 at 10:00 AM PT / 1:00 PM ET!
...and with that my return to Division 2 will end quite suddenly.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

For those playing what class(es) are you playing? So far I have Brr-zerker and a Graveborn. Graveborn is by far the harder so far but certainly is interesting.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I went with Graveborn/Spellshot. It was really, really powerful. Yeah, early on it was a little fragile, but once you get the leeching up (dark magic heals you), plus the +health skills, plus the +dark magic damage skills, plus the heal-on-cast skill, you regenerate so much health that you become surprisingly durable, and few things live long enough to do much damage anyway. A spell in each hand and super-fast recharge means that you've always got a dark magic nuke ready to go. My build
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Currently running a ummm.. well hell I don't remember the classname. The one with the big hammer action, mutli-ed into spellshot, but hardly using that side of things. I mostly just shoot things until they die and hit the F and G keys on the rare occasions it occurs to me.

I think I am level 34 and just chomping through side quests before heading to the place where it told me I should level up before proceeding (7 levels ago).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

Got to 40 and finished the story......but not with same character.

Finished the final fight and the credits immediately role......but I could find no way to stop them, esc? Nope,, Enter? Nope. After ten minutes of credits, not kidding they had almost everyone in every company involved in the credits I tried the down arrow which let me speed through the remaining credits. The explanation/tutorial for Chaos chamber sucks, had to watch a YouTube to understand what I was doing, same with post lvl 40 mechanism.

I sure hope they come with DLC beyond Chaos Chamber