Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Skinypupy »

Grifman wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:44 pm
By ensuring they are fully armed in both situations?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Have I mentioned before how they just have no sense of irony? Not a drop.

Post by Default »

I stand by my statement.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess this goes here ?

If DeSantis really is the future of the GOP:
Several South Florida high school educators are alarmed that a new state civics initiative designed to prepare students to be “virtuous citizens” is infused with a Christian and conservative ideology after a three-day training session in Broward County last week.

“It was very skewed,” said Barbara Segal, a 12th-grade government teacher at Fort Lauderdale High School. “There was a very strong Christian fundamentalist way toward analyzing different quotes and different documents. That was concerning.”

The civics training, which is part of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ Civics Literacy Excellence Initiative, underscores the tension that has been building around education and how classrooms have become battlegrounds for politically contentious issues. In Florida, DeSantis and the Republican-led Legislature have pushed policies that limit what schools can teach about race, gender identity and certain aspects of history.
A review of more than 200 pages of the state’s presentations shows the founding fathers’ intent and the “misconceptions” about their thinking were a main theme of the training. One slide underscored that the “Founders expected religion to be promoted because they believed it to be essential to civic virtue.” Without virtue, another slide noted, citizens become “licentious” and become subject to tyranny.

Another slide highlights three U.S. Supreme Court cases to show when the “Founders’ original intent began to change.” That included the 1962 landmark case that found school-sponsored prayer violated the establishment clause of the First Amendment, which Judd said trainers viewed as unjust. At one point, the trainers equated it to the 1892 U.S. Supreme Court decision that upheld the constitutionality of racial segregation under the “separate but equal” doctrine.

“Ending school prayer was compared to upholding segregation,” Judd said. In other words, he said, trainers called both those rulings unjust.
What's happening:
The civics training is the latest effort in a long line of education policies that aim to fight what DeSantis and conservative education reformers say are “woke ideologies” in public schools.

It also provides a snapshot of how national groups, including Hillsdale College, a politically influential private Christian college in southern Michigan, are working with the DeSantis administration to reshape education in the state. The goal is to put a greater emphasis on civics than on socially divisive issues such as race and gender identity, which DeSantis has said is an effort to reorient teaching away from “indoctrination and back towards education.” But to several educators who went through the state’s training it felt like a broader effort to impose a conservative view on historical events.
I'm guessing this is the blueprint for what will be pushed nationwide. I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I've seen parents on social media in my red corner of Jerz complaining that their kids are being indoctrinated and that they want to start their own school districts that aren't going to be exposing their precious kids to whatever it is they find objectionable (currently sexual health education and CRT). I've even seen them say they want a governor like DeSantis to take over our state, which is insanity.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

The New Yorker takes a deep dive into Hungary as the GOP's model.
Hungary has a population comparable to Michigan’s and a G.D.P. close to that of Arkansas, but, in the imagination of the American right, it punches far above its weight. Viktor Orbán, the Prime Minister since 2010, is now the longest-serving head of state in the European Union, and one of the most fiercely nativist and traditionalist. Starting in 2013, he made a political foil out of George Soros, the Jewish financier who was born in Hungary but hasn’t lived there in decades, exploiting the trope of Soros as a nefarious international puppet master. During the refugee crisis of 2015, Orbán built a militarized fence along Hungary’s southern border, and, in defiance of both E.U. law and the Geneva Conventions, expelled almost all asylum seekers from the country. Relative to other European nations, Hungary hadn’t experienced a big influx of migrants. (Out-migration is actually more common.) But the refugees, most of them from Syria or other parts of the Middle East, were an effective political scapegoat—one that Orbán continues to flog, along with academics, “globalists,” the Roma, and, more recently, queer and trans people. Last year, Hungary passed a law banning sex education involving L.G.B.T.Q. topics in schools. Nine months later, in Florida, DeSantis signed a similar law, known as the “Don’t Say Gay” bill. DeSantis’s press secretary, talking about the inspiration for the law, reportedly said, “We were watching the Hungarians.”

Experts have described Orbán as a new-school despot, a soft autocrat, an anocrat, and a reactionary populist. Kim Lane Scheppele, a professor of international affairs at Princeton, has referred to him as “the ultimate twenty-first-century dictator.” Some prominent American conservatives want nothing to do with him; but more have taken his side, pointing to Hungary as a potential model for America’s future.
We all know about this in broad strokes, but this long article fills in the lines.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I made a comment in the SCOTUS thread that the tyrants are beginning to act as censors telling us who real Americans are and what values are acceptable.

DeSantis and his ilk are defining what that model looks like realized. This comes down to the idea that building a core, strong national identity is at the heart of authoritarian/fascist ideology. We will see the first expressions of this danger when Congress starts using the budget as a weapon. Over time conduct will be increasingly driven by economic incentives/penalties aligned to permissible behaviors within the parameters of these crystallized values.

In other words, we will see what happened in Florida go wide. For example, values outside the bounds of this new christofascist model will result in financial penalties much like we saw against Disney. Lets say your organization supports LGBTQ efforts? You very well might get hit in the pocketbook. Just wait and see. The ride is just starting.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Wheeee?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

DeSantis could be stopped at the state level if companies/people really wanted to. That's how Pat McCrory got stopped in NC - the state hemorraghed millions of dollars from companies boycotting and pulling dollars out, and the voters responded accordingly.

Unfortunately that doesn't work at the federal level, which is why the thought of a President DeSantis is so nightmarish to me. He will absolutely use the might of the US government to crush LGBTQ rights and any whiff of racial education.

Trump was a complete trainwreck, but it was a chaotic trainwreck that kind of pushed the GOP "agenda" forward in a broad haphazard way. DeSantis's policies are calculated and cruel, targeted with laser-like precision to hurt people as efficiently as possible.
Last edited by YellowKing on Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:36 amTrump was a complete trainwreck, but it was a chaotic trainwreck that kind of pushed the GOP "agenda" forward in a broad haphazard way. DeSantis's policies are calculated and cruel, targeted with laser-like precision to hurt people as efficiently as possible.
Agreed and the hurt is just acceptable collateral damage plus a side helping of 'fuck those degenerates!'. The goal is delivering punishment against the others to foster building power.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

malchior wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:04 am
YellowKing wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:36 amTrump was a complete trainwreck, but it was a chaotic trainwreck that kind of pushed the GOP "agenda" forward in a broad haphazard way. DeSantis's policies are calculated and cruel, targeted with laser-like precision to hurt people as efficiently as possible.
Agreed and the hurt is just acceptable collateral damage plus a side helping of 'fuck those degenerates!'. The goal is delivering punishment against the others to foster building power.
Beau of the 5th Column has been nailing it for a while with his predictions as to what the Trumplican party will do next. All he does is apply the characteristics of what a Facist regime would do and it works 100% of the time.
FTE
malchior

Post by malchior »

Exactly. I don't typically follow his videos but that's how I predict forward. It has been clear since before Trump if you were paying attention. It is just more focused and obvious now because we're closer to the critical period now.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Scraper wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:00 am
Beau of the 5th Column has been nailing it for a while with his predictions as to what the Trumplican party will do next. All he does is apply the characteristics of what a Facist regime would do and it works 100% of the time.
Sooo what is next?
:ninja:
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:04 am
Scraper wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:00 am
Sooo what is next?
:ninja:
He picks a topic and a specific issue of national importance within that topic and then applies the characteristics to it. So as for what's next, it depends on the topic.
FTE
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

No, I mean what is he saying that the Trumpublicans will do next? If his prediction accuracy is 100%, it might be helpful to know what the next blow will look like. Pick a topic, any topic.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

If they get the house and senate... Which they probably will. They will impeach Biden for whatever they feel like. I mean it's not going to get him tossed out or anything, but they want to make whatever was done to Trump was all just political. Just wait until they get all 3 branches and nuke the filibuster. It will be party time! Woooo..
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

I think first order business will be issue a report condemning the 1/6 committee. They'll exonerate Trump. They'll begin hearing and the chance of a Biden impeachment are damn near 100%.

I also don't think they'll nuke the filibuster. It represents too much restraint on the Democrats if they happen to get some power back. They'll instead do all their dirty deeds using the purse strings. They'll defund blue state agendas, take the money and give it to red state agencies to prop them up, etc. Essentially punish anyone who isn't aligned with the new christofascist model and reward those who are. If that is indeed what we see, we'll know it's over.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's all about slowly pushing the ratchet to the right and having more and more people forget or even know things were once different. Just like there's an entire generation that doesn't remember a time where you could fly without taking off your shoes or going through security theater. Or for many (most?) not being able to smoke in a bar or restaurant.

Are there still people that remember what Iran looked like in the 1960s? Or are most now mentally conjuring up how it looks now (socially/culturally) and thinking that's how it's always been?

That's where we're headed apparently under the direction of whatever the GOP has morphed into. Abortion? Nah, it's always been prohibited. Religion in schools? It's been that way since I was born - praying to Jesus before school lunch has been the norm since 2024. Food and water regulations? We trust that corporations are doing the right thing; they don't need to be monitored.

The Roe v Wade decision took us back 50+ years. The EPA decision now has that needle potentially moving 75-100 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here you go - another one:

Only in Texas: the Texas Education Agency is proposing to the State Board of Education (who decides state curriculum) to change the word “slavery” to “involuntary relocation”. The SBOE hearings on social studies curriculum are this summer.
Why am I posting this here?
The head of the TEA is the Commissioner of Education, who is appointed to this post by the governor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:08 pm It's all about slowly pushing the ratchet to the right and having more and more people forget or even know things were once different. Just like there's an entire generation that doesn't remember a time where you could fly without taking off your shoes or going through security theater. Or for many (most?) not being able to smoke in a bar or restaurant.
Yes - long term this is how the past will be memory holed if things get this dark. That is a known function of authoritarianism. Worse time isn't the only mechanism for this. Almost always authoritarian centers of power have to maintain a body of true knowledge otherwise they can't manage its suppression. If this happens it will be an intentional, evil choice. One many of these evil monsters already practice right now. Gym Jordan, McCarthy, Cruz, Hawley, McConnell, Johnson, etc. We already know they have very different conversations out of earshot.
The Roe v Wade decision took us back 50+ years. The EPA decision now has that needle potentially moving 75-100 years.
I always wonder if time based comparisons are the best way to describe this. I think it is better to go to fundamentals. This is about what democracy is supposed to achieve. It is supposed to be a way to arbitrate between different ideas. The best idea in theory gets the most support. Often the best idea isn't clear and through a process of messy, compromise "we" all decide on which ideas to integrate into society.

So what I think is more accurate is to say that marketplace of ideas is now rigged. The best ideas don't matter. Many aren't considered. We've known this for years but there at least was some illusion that this marketplace still existed. Now? It's dead as a doornail. The only ideas allowed to flourish have pass muster with a group of unelected, life time appointee tyrants. Beyond not being a democracy anymore, it will also hasten the decline of our nation.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:20 pm Here you go - another one:

Only in Texas: the Texas Education Agency is proposing to the State Board of Education (who decides state curriculum) to change the word “slavery” to “involuntary relocation”. The SBOE hearings on social studies curriculum are this summer.
Why am I posting this here?
The head of the TEA is the Commissioner of Education, who is appointed to this post by the governor.
This originally came up in 2010. I haven't found anything to confirm it's a thing again.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

malchior wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:50 pm I also don't think they'll nuke the filibuster. It represents too much restraint on the Democrats if they happen to get some power back.
They will continue to shift the system to guarantee that they can keep power regardless of the voters. The moment they feel that they have achieved that, that is when they will kill the filibuster. First they ensure that the 'other side' is a perpetual minority, then you remove the power from the minority, rendering them irrelevant.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:23 pm This originally came up in 2010. I haven't found anything to confirm it's a thing again.
Yes, she's saying the same and indicating her current source of information is the Texas NAACP. That said, I can't find anything online either, but that doesn't prove/disprove anything, unfortunately.

EDIT: Now being reported by the AP:

Public schools in Texas would describe slavery to second graders as "involuntary relocation" under new social studies standards proposed to the state's education board, according to @TexasTribune
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Yeah, good article here. https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06/30 ... elocation/

And while terrifying, it was a low level committee that was immediately rejected.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Great to see Texas has always been friends with Eastasia.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

This introduced me to the State Bill 3 nonsense. I mean this is pretty appalling even if they don't use the bs phrasing.
In this case, the group proposing these second grade curriculum revisions was given a copy of Senate Bill 3, Texas’ law that dictates how slavery and issues of race are taught in Texas. The law states that slavery can’t be taught as part of the true founding of the United States and that slavery was nothing more than a deviation from American values.
Guess they can't teach about the 3/5 compromise or any civil rights American jurisprudence between founding to about 1865. Good luck Texas with your whitewashing.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Insanity in Wyoming:

It would be funny if it wasn’t real life.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

:pop:

All of them except Liz Cheney seem to be mentally ill or incompetent.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

For anyone watching Cheney is losing to the utterly insane lady in the blue by thirty points right now in the polls.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:35 pm EDIT: Now being reported by the AP:

Public schools in Texas would describe slavery to second graders as "involuntary relocation" under new social studies standards proposed to the state's education board, according to @TexasTribune
Besides the obvious Doublespeak, "involuntary relocation" isn't even technically accurate.

In 1808 the US banned the importation of slaves into the country. (This wasn't out of humanitarian concerns but to protect domestic slavers' market for slaves born domestically.) After that, aside from a few clandestine importations, the vast majority of American slaves were born Americans.

Which, incidentally, means that a black American with slave ancestors has deeper American roots than whites whose forebears came over in various 19th-century waves of German/Irish/Italian/etc immigration.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

malchior wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:25 pm For anyone watching Cheney is losing to the utterly insane lady in the blue by thirty points right now in the polls.
One expects the looniest whackdoodle to win the R primary because primary voters are the true believers. What's the over/under on the general election? Do the Ds have a candidate who could take this nutjob?
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:27 pm What's the over/under on the general election? Do the Ds have a candidate who could take this nutjob?
In Wyoming?

Not just no, but HELL no.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Arizona makes Wyoming look sane:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

:lol: They are at least entertaining, and that always beats boring now.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I personally find it depressing. It is an indicator of the severe decline we find ourselves in the middle of.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:36 am DeSantis could be stopped at the state level if companies/people really wanted to. That's how Pat McCrory got stopped in NC - the state hemorraghed millions of dollars from companies boycotting and pulling dollars out, and the voters responded accordingly.

Unfortunately that doesn't work at the federal level, which is why the thought of a President DeSantis is so nightmarish to me. He will absolutely use the might of the US government to crush LGBTQ rights and any whiff of racial education.

Trump was a complete trainwreck, but it was a chaotic trainwreck that kind of pushed the GOP "agenda" forward in a broad haphazard way. DeSantis's policies are calculated and cruel, targeted with laser-like precision to hurt people as efficiently as possible.
All that mattered was the 3 supreme court picks. He could have nuked Kansas City and the Republican party would still have been happy.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Most sane thing uttered from that video: ‘I feel like I’m in an SNL skit’
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Plenty of people are licking their chops in anticipation of stealing from these idiots' states when they get into office.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Oh, and in case you were wondering if it was cherry-picked:

It is all just as bad.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I mean, they're all morons. But the guy on the far left I almost feel sorry for. Everyone on that stage just picks him on him. I love it when someone reminds him he's polling at like 1 percent at one point. :lol:

He's an even less liked Eric Trump.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Since there isn't a "I hate Mitch McConnell with the fury of 1000 suns" thread, I'll post it here as I'm guessing his voiced opinion is party-line belief:

McConnell in Kentucky on how he'd like to end the labor shortage:

"You've got a whole lot of people sitting on the sidelines because they're flush for the moment. What we've got to hope is once they run out of money, they'll start concluding it's better to work than not to work"
Note:
Labor expert points out that more workers aged between 25-54 are actually in the workforce now compared to before the pandemic