Car Wars... nothing by Car Wars...

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Re: Car Wars... nothing by Car Wars...

Post by coopasonic »

Holman wrote:What's the word on a new edition? Wasn't there confirmation of one during the Ogre Kickstarter?

Somewhere I read that it might be shaping up to be more like Fantasy Flight's X-Wing, which I hope isn't true.
Still a work in progress, probably as a 2016 release and when I played it with the designer a year ago it was very X-Wing like. They weren't showing it this year and about all they would tell me is that it had real art now (last year it was sharpie on index cards).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Holman wrote:What's the word on a new edition? Wasn't there confirmation of one during the Ogre Kickstarter?

Somewhere I read that it might be shaping up to be more like Fantasy Flight's X-Wing, which I hope isn't true.
hentzau wrote:I think that Car Wars could be a brilliant, fast paced game if you would use the Wings of War system with it.
:tjg:
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's not Car Wars without graph paper dammit!!

I suppose I could live with maneuver rulers and such, but I wouldn't want them to reduce weapons and components to mere cards and traits and tokens. I need to see the parts chewed to pieces hit by hit.

I suppose I'll still have Star Fleet Battles er, Federation Commander.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
paulbaxter

Post by paulbaxter »

If you are talking about Car Wars: The Card Game, the third edition apparently was published earlier this year. I just happened to see it at Barnes and Noble last night. BN website says it was published late May, while BGG says it was August. Anyhow
No sig, must scream, etc.
Holman

Post by Holman »

paulbaxter wrote:

If you are talking about Car Wars: The Card Game, the third edition apparently was published earlier this year. I just happened to see it at Barnes and Noble last night. BN website says it was published late May, while BGG says it was August. Anyhow
I was actually asking about the new tabletop Car Wars, still in development.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Put me in the same camp as those who wouldn't want anything but a refinement of the old rules set. I want to spend hours agonizing over weight and gun placement for my car. I want to pull out a giant grid map of a mall and lay down my turn templates in preparation for numerous bootlegger reverse maneuvers.

In short, I want to relive my teen years as a Car Wars geek.
Covfefe!
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

NickAragua wrote:Yeah, but when each round takes a minute and there are four players, that means you get to shoot once every forty minutes, which is not exactly good game design.

Sorry about replying to such an old post but Nick', you are being silly here. Welcome to tabletop wargaming and RPGing by the way. These tabletop games tend to be turn based because trying to coordinate a table full of players doing different things while the GM is doing other stuff...gets a bit crappy in real time. Car Wars is a simulationist game for the most part and the rules therefore tend towards making sense at the cost of being slower than Guitar Hero.
"I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Well, ok. Let's take Battletech, for example. Every time you move your mech, you also get to shoot. Warhammer: Flavor of Choice - every time you move your little army guys, you can also have them shoot (or administer manual beatings). X-Wing: Move and shoot. Blood bowl: Move *or* administer beatings. Car Wars: You only get to shoot once every ten moves, and have about a 50/50 chance of missing most of the time anyway, which is real exciting.

I also like Formula D, but, in that one, there's no shooting and you can move like thirty spaces per turn once you crank the gear up. In Car Wars, you move a car length, and if you're moving faster, you probably crash or go off board.

I love the concept of a car game where you can shoot the crap out of other cars, and I don't mind a slow-paced game (god knows I've played my share of Diplomacy), but the pacing in Car Wars is way off for my preference (and I also no longer have contiguous eight hour blocks of free time), which is why I would love to see a modernized, streamlined version.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

I guess Car Wars never felt too slow to me, although it's true that I played it in an analog age of THAC0 and saving throws.

The charm of the game was precisely how it slowed down super-fast reality to a level where every turn of the wheel and every shot mattered. Games took a while (but never more than a single sitting), but all that while was narrative mayhem.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:03 am
what was this?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Something issie needs to come to Chicago to play with Zarathud, seppe and I since z owns it all….and I mean all.
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Car Wars... nothing by Car Wars...

Post by Zarathud »

Not 100% or intentionally. I won the Double Drum play-mat at Adepticon. It doesn’t fit on my table and someone stole the extra few cards from the table while we were playing. But it nearly completed my collection.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:24 pm
what was this?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

They’re working on scenarios and car builds for Uncle Al’s. It’s Steve Jackson, so they’ll expand. But only to motorcycles, not to the more exotic stuff.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon