What media do you support (with $)?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Kraken

What media do you support (with $)?

Post by Kraken »

Shouldn't be a political question but it surely will be, hence starting it here rather than EBG.

I subscribe to The Boston Globe (daily home delivery, bitches), The Washington Post, and Science News (print). I'm a member of WGBH and contribute to Emerson College radio station WERS a couple times a year. Last night the Guardian reminded me that I've read 33 articles in the last year, so I finally felt guilty enough to give them $25.

Apart from that I'm a freeloader who runs a paywall breaker and an ad blocker.

Come winter, when going out to get the morning paper becomes a chore again, I'm finally going to switch the Globe to digital + weekends. Daily delivery is up to $140/mo and I just can't justify the indulgence anymore. That will free up some money that I can spread to a couple of other outlets. I really only want Sundays and Wednesdays (food section) in print but that's not an option.
Alefroth

Re: What media do you support (with $)?

Post by Alefroth »

I sub to WaPo and have given money to The Guardian and KUOW.

I've been over 200 articles/year with The Guardian, but right now I'm at 177.

Oh, and I give 2.50/month to Wikipedia.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Deep State Social
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Arthur Levine's About Theme Parks newsletter. It's not a great source for world news, but it's a heck of a lot more positive. :D
malchior

Post by malchior »

Quite a Long list: The Atlantic, The Economist, Gaslit Nation (Sarah Kendzior's podcast), Rolling Stone, New Yorker, Serious Trouble (Fed's podcast), Wall Street Journal, Washington Post

I'm probably missing something in there
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

The title made me think I should answer Netflix but clearly that isn't the idea.

WABE (local NPR station) is it. I think about supporting The Guardian or The Atlantic but so far I haven't bothered. My wife has done the Atlanta paper and The New York Times online editions before but that was during our first year in Korea mostly to make sure that we had some level of English new if we really felt out of touch. In the end we didn't use them much and she cancelled.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Uhh... Motor Trend, but only because I apparently have auto-renew and I'mm too lazy to see how to turn it off.

I get most of my news from you guys, Beau of the Fifth Column on YouTube and the google app. I pay for none of them.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I had a WaPo paid digital subscription for a couple of years but I canceled after I couldn't get a promotional price any more, and the full price is way to expensive...I don't read it that much.

The Athletic right now, but it doesn't really count since I'm on the promotional $1/month price, and I'll cancel it before the 6-month promotion is over (really only got it during the hockey playoffs).

So I guess...the answer is (mostly) none.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Washington Post
New York Times (prmo price - I'll cancel if/when the price goes back up)
Chicago Sun-Times
PRX The World
APM Marketplace
Sometimes WTTW
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Washington Post
The Atlantic
Sacramento Public Radio
Sacramento Bee (on and off)
Serious Trouble/Very Serious
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Washington Post
New York Times
WGBH supporter
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

At home we subscribe to:

The Washington Post (online)
The New York Times (print with online)
The New York Review of Books (print)
WHYY (Philadelphia's NPR news station, home of Terry Gross)
WXPN (Philadelphia's indy radio station but also with local arts reporting)

I'd prefer to cut off the NYT because they continually piss me off, but my MIL lives with us and is a diehard New Yorker.

The Atlantic, The Nation, The Times (UK) Literary Supplement, Arts & Letters Daily, etc I get through academic libraries.

I have a few podcasts I'm considering supporting via Patreon, but so far I haven't done so. They're more likely to be nerd-culture stuff (You're Wrong About, Space the Nation, etc) than hard news.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

KEXP 90.3FM (kexp.org)
Seattle Public Library has a thing where you can activate a voucher code for 72 hours of unlimited access to the NYTimes, and you can use it as often as you want, so my tax dollars are indirectly supporting, there

i ought to get a Seattle Times subscription and a New Scientist one as well
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

All of them.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:58 pm Shouldn't be a political question but it surely will be, hence starting it here rather than EBG.

I subscribe to The Boston Globe (daily home delivery, bitches), The Washington Post, and Science News (print). I'm a member of WGBH and contribute to Emerson College radio station WERS a couple times a year. Last night the Guardian reminded me that I've read 33 articles in the last year, so I finally felt guilty enough to give them $25.

Come winter, when going out to get the morning paper becomes a chore again, I'm finally going to switch the Globe to digital + weekends. Daily delivery is up to $140/mo and I just can't justify the indulgence anymore. That will free up some money that I can spread to a couple of other outlets. I really only want Sundays and Wednesdays (food section) in print but that's not an option.
Thats really expensive for home delivery... WTF?
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Kraken wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:58 pm Shouldn't be a political question but it surely will be, hence starting it here rather than EBG.

Netflix, Hulu and Prime. Also have HBO and Showtime. Some time in the near future, I'm going to subscribe to a VPN and just go the illegal route. I need to save money.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I subscribe or donate to:

New York Times
Washington Post
The Guardian
Defector
The Economist
Scientific American
Senet
National Geographic

Gothamist (local news blog)
Angry Asian Man (Asian American blog)

Mostly online, but the ones in italics I still get in print. I feel like I get good value-for-money from all of these, although I don't read the Washington Post every day and some weeks I skip The Economist. Angry Asian Man is probably the lowest money-to-content ratio, but it's one guy's side gig and I've supported him forever.