2023 is the first semi-reasonable year in some time in which to upgrade one's GPU

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: 2022 is truly the second-best year to upgrade your GPU

Post by Daehawk »

Paul's GPU pricing guide for May.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Just what I needed, thanks. He seems to not care at all about Ray-tracing or G-sync though.

I’m so out of the gfx card loop I have no idea what I should buy (that pairs best with my monitor/cpu, if that even matters anymore).
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I only have a 24-inch 1080P monitor, and my desk won't take bigger due to how it's built unless I modify it. My next upgrade will be an entirely new board/cpu (10 years old this year) and graphics card. Anything at this point will be a completely new experience for me.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Hoooooooold!!

Lots of factors leading up to this, but very likely just the tip of the iceberg in terms of price drops. I'm guessing we will see prices fall precipitously.

Unless your GPU dies today, and you don't have a backup, or you don't care about saving money, I say hold for at least another month.

There's a lot going on in the semiconductor market, and from what I have read, the pending release of a new line of GPU's is a mere blip (in terms of the pending price cuts).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been saving my pennies (well, $25 a month on the months I could justify it, plus not using the Amazon 'rewards' points from my credit card) for a couple of years now waiting for a drop. I'm getting close - a few more months and I can probably afford something, maybe a 3080, maybe even the 12GB version. My current card (an RTX 2060, which has the power of mid-ranger GeForce 1000 card plus RTX capability) struggles with a lot of VR games, and my son's card (GeForce 950, I think?) struggles with pretty much everything. When I can upgrade, he'll get my 2060, which will be a big boost for him, too.

Now that prices have dropped to MSRP for the first time, I'm getting paranoid that they're going to spike and I'll suddenly find myself completely out of the market again before I can get together the last couple of hundred I need.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im still on a gtx 970. Im very thankful to have this card. Could I use a better one? Sure could. But at least I can play some games and not look at a wall all day.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:23 pm I've been saving my pennies (well, $25 a month on the months I could justify it, plus not using the Amazon 'rewards' points from my credit card) for a couple of years now waiting for a drop. I'm getting close - a few more months and I can probably afford something, maybe a 3080, maybe even the 12GB version. My current card (an RTX 2060, which has the power of mid-ranger GeForce 1000 card plus RTX capability) struggles with a lot of VR games, and my son's card (GeForce 950, I think?) struggles with pretty much everything. When I can upgrade, he'll get my 2060, which will be a big boost for him, too.

Now that prices have dropped to MSRP for the first time, I'm getting paranoid that they're going to spike and I'll suddenly find myself completely out of the market again before I can get together the last couple of hundred I need.
Save yourself some money. Small gains for 2 more gigs.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... ce%20model
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

From that article BH if I were you I'd just go ahead and get a 10gig card and start having fun now. Dont know what tomorrow may bring. Fall 'may' see the 4000 series cards come out and a price drop. Or the fake money stuff based on imagination could do something that makes them scarce again.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:57 pm From that article BH if I were you I'd just go ahead and get a 10gig card and start having fun now. Dont know what tomorrow may bring. Fall 'may' see the 4000 series cards come out and a price drop. Or the fake money stuff based on imagination could do something that makes them scarce again.
I just got the 3080 10 GB version and it runs almost everything smooth. Cyberpunk 2077 hits the 50 FPS mark when the settings high, but when I go indoors it slows down a bit. Trying to figure out what's causing that. When running a monitoring tool like MSI Afterburner, I'm not using the entire ram on the card
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

my last few video cards have all been second-hand-couple-generations-behind purchases. i now want to go full 4K capable. (IronrodKraken: "This may be the last video card I ever buy, so")
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Still rocking my GTX 760 suckas!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I think one of the best video cards I ever owned and lasted a long time was from Walmart and it was a Nvidia 4200 ti.

It looked a lot like this card. When the fan died I bought a Blue Orb cooler and removed the fan from it and installed it on my video card lol. It fit and worked.

Enlarge Image
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I'd love to hand down old video cards to the folks in need, but now that I have to support 3 gaming PCs (I love that my kids game, but dammit man!) what I have to hand down has really started aging. Our worst card now is a 1660 I think, which is OK now, but I am not planning on buying a new PC any time soon so by the time it is available I am not sure anyone would want it. When that time comes, I'll ask though.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

naednek wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:19 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:23 pm I've been saving my pennies (well, $25 a month on the months I could justify it, plus not using the Amazon 'rewards' points from my credit card) for a couple of years now waiting for a drop. I'm getting close - a few more months and I can probably afford something, maybe a 3080, maybe even the 12GB version. My current card (an RTX 2060, which has the power of mid-ranger GeForce 1000 card plus RTX capability) struggles with a lot of VR games, and my son's card (GeForce 950, I think?) struggles with pretty much everything. When I can upgrade, he'll get my 2060, which will be a big boost for him, too.

The article posted yesterday was based on an article at Tom's. That article shows that the MSRP is only $100 apart, and that they're both currently retailing for the same price. That's why I said 'maybe even the 12GB version' - if the 10GB hasn't come down below the 12GB, I'll get that instead.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

It's been so long since I stopped looking that I forgot what card I needed to get to pair with my newish gaming monitor (to match the refresh rate technology that supposedly makes a big difference in terms of performance - or at least did several years ago).

Anyone know of a source that guides you on that kind of thing? (what monitor is capable of Gsync vs the other brand of VRR) and what you should buy if you have x kind...) Or maybe that is not as relevant as it used to be?
naednek

Post by naednek »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:52 pm
naednek wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:19 pm

The article posted yesterday was based on an article at Tom's. That article shows that the MSRP is only $100 apart, and that they're both currently retailing for the same price. That's why I said 'maybe even the 12GB version' - if the 10GB hasn't come down below the 12GB, I'll get that instead.
It's my understanding that manufacturers are limiting or stopping their production of the 12 gb cards. So I would assume if it went down to 10gb prices these were cards that didn't yet sell.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:42 pm Im still on a gtx 970.
Same!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

First part of this video deals with GPUs at least a little.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still sitting here - closer every day! I'm about $200 away from being able to afford one, solving problems for both me and my son. And I just have to keep my fingers crossed that the market doesn't change back in the next 3-4 months it will likely take me to put it back.

It doesn't help that nearly half of my savings in this regard are in Amazon points/credit, which means that I'm very limited in my bargain shopping opportunities.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What card ya got your eye on?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Some variant of the 3080.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I found a great deal today on an RTX 3080, close enough to what I have that I pulled the trigger. Delivery Tuesday is great, given that I was expecting to have to wait for several more months.

Since I don't normally buy high-priced items, my credit card immediately declined it as fraud.

By the time I went back in to reauthorize the sale, it was out of stock.

:grund:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I also just discovered that there doesn't seem to be a card on the market that will actually fit inside of my case.

I'll either need to buy a new case or take a dremel and cut out the drive bays. Le sigh.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had a card do that to me on multiple purchases. I finally called them to tell them to stop it.

The GTX 970 that was donated to me wouldn't fit my 10 year old case no matter how much I hammered and pried on it. I had to dig out my beige 1999 super tower 30lb case and move the guts over to it temp style. Its sitting here with no side or anything still. Works though.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:27 am I found a great deal today on an RTX 3080, close enough to what I have that I pulled the trigger. Delivery Tuesday is great, given that I was expecting to have to wait for several more months.

Since I don't normally buy high-priced items, my credit card immediately declined it as fraud.

By the time I went back in to reauthorize the sale, it was out of stock.

:grund:
more deals _will_ be incoming, and soon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:55 am I also just discovered that there doesn't seem to be a card on the market that will actually fit inside of my case.

I'll either need to buy a new case or take a dremel and cut out the drive bays. Le sigh.
While you are double checking things, is your power supply up to snuff for a 3080? I once installed a new beefy graphics card in a Dell desktop (which I later realized had an absurdly wimpy PSU) and it was not a good day.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

One of the reasons I got a 3070 over a 3080 aside from the cost was the power requirements. That and the 3090 at ridiculous.

3070 250
3080 340
3090 TI 465!!!

It's like having a space heater running. What's next dual power supplies? :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya things used to miniaturize over time. But graphic cards just keep growing.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:21 am While you are double checking things, is your power supply up to snuff for a 3080? I once installed a new beefy graphics card in a Dell desktop (which I later realized had an absurdly wimpy PSU) and it was not a good day.
I'd still be checking it even if the PSU is technically capable, as these things can deteriorate over time.

As for the size of cards, yeah that's amazing to me. I thought things were supposed to get more efficient and smaller, but video cards seem to be an exception to the rule. Power profiles should be declining the more efficient they get, but I guess the heat they put off require more and more fans, hence longer cards.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, my power supply is fine. I replaced mine not that long ago.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:06 pm As for the size of cards, yeah that's amazing to me. I thought things were supposed to get more efficient and smaller, but video cards seem to be an exception to the rule. Power profiles should be declining the more efficient they get, but I guess the heat they put off require more and more fans, hence longer cards.
That is the problem I have with GPU trend. It is getting crazy with the power consumption and that also cause heat problem. I wish instead of focusing on faster GPU, Nvidia and AMD focus on more energy efficient GPU. I rather get a GPU that is just as fast as 3070 but with much lower power usage than a GPU that is more powerful than 3090 TI.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:54 pm
Rumpy wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:06 pm As for the size of cards, yeah that's amazing to me. I thought things were supposed to get more efficient and smaller, but video cards seem to be an exception to the rule. Power profiles should be declining the more efficient they get, but I guess the heat they put off require more and more fans, hence longer cards.
That is the problem I have with GPU trend. It is getting crazy with the power consumption and that also cause heat problem. I wish instead of focusing on faster GPU, Nvidia and AMD focus on more energy efficient GPU. I rather get a GPU that is just as fast as 3070 but with much lower power usage than a GPU that is more powerful than 3090 TI.
Yeah, that'd be great, plus I think it'd open up a new market segment, of possibly lower cost and energy efficient cards, possibly using last generation technology. They wouldn't necessarily have to be cutting edge, but possible to run most of the latest stuff. I personally think that'd be a great tradeoff.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

An AMD 6900 XT is $798.00. Thats cheaper than a 3080 ti and cheaper.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Still is a boatload of money.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm again going to pay attention to power consumption for the next GPU i buy - and efficency will be a deciding factor
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

researching current gen cards, i was thinking if there weren't an imminent new round of cards arriving in a couple of months, the Radeon 6700 XT under $500 would be around the performance/price point i'm looking for. finding one of those used for a much lower price would be extremely tempting... but i can wait.

(e.g. https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/876449685 but at least $80 cheaper - not that i'm buying from WalMart in the first place)

however... i do have a 4K monitor (given to me by an ex-coworker) that i've not set up at home yet. would like to use _that_ to maximum advantage.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Used video card? I would strongly advise against unless you also have no problem buying TV floor models (hint: you should never do that). :D
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.