Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: Defining the 21st Century Republican Party?

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:04 pm Since that NATO vote was an easy pass, I assume the No votes are less about flattering Putin and more about preserving a near-100% record of voting against anything Democrats support. Gotta keep those numbers up for the campaign ads.
You make it sound like the ads need to be truthful.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Oh I think the absolute purity of their evil is the one data point they hold quite dear.
Last edited by Unagi on Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Or they're all on the take. I think Russian money flows free and wide inside the Republican party.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

That’s almost a given. I think Holman’s point was that this was a vote where they could have said to their Russian handler that it would be a good time to hide their Russian connection, because the passing of the vote was a done deal.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:36 am Or they're all on the take. I think Russian money flows free and wide inside the Congress.
FTFY
He/Him/His/Porcupine
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:14 am That’s almost a given. I think Holman’s point was that this was a vote where they could have said to their Russian handler that it would be a good time to hide their Russian connection, because the passing of the vote was a done deal.
Too nuanced and subtle for that gaggle of ass fasteners.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:36 am Or they're all on the take. I think Russian money flows free and wide inside the Republican party.
Probably a bit less so since the sanctions.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Democracy is so corrupt that it is incompatible with freedom.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

This is how Putin wins:

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Obviously it’s important for these thing to be said out loud now.
The sentiment isn’t a shock to any of us, but if he never said it we couldn’t (at the very least) use the sound bite against him, for those that care.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I think MTG's stupidity is at least partially an act, and she's doing a good job here of pretending to be innocent of what "Christian Nationalism" means to people who espouse the movement.

But then she goes on to assert very explicitly that the Republicans ought to do what's right for "most Americans" and stop caring about minorities.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Texas billionaires bankroll the far right in Texas:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/24/politics ... index.html
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Holman wrote:

I think MTG's stupidity is at least partially an act, and she's doing a good job here of pretending to be innocent of what "Christian Nationalism" means to people who espouse the movement.

But then she goes on to assert very explicitly that the Republicans ought to do what's right for "most Americans" and stop caring about minorities.
She's also worthless to her constituents:

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Yes but were they Christian Nationalist projects?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:35 am
She's also worthless to her constituents:

She's not being hypocrite of pork spending, so I guess that's something "positive" about her, quite unlike, say a Rand Paul.
Northwest Georgia's U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene did not submit any community project funding requests for the 14th District. The Rome Republican's office cited a 2021 release from the House Freedom Caucus opposing earmarks as "the currency of corruption."
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Shameless and ironic - the America First organization no longer cares about the Constitution:

The guy isn’t even fazed by the question, no embarrassment whatsoever.

Thus is how facism comes to America.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I got about 75% through Tim Miller's new book - Why We Did It over the weekend. He argues tha he saw the same themes less concentrated during his work on McCain's campaign in 2008 and they'v e only gotten worse over time. He has in my mind successfully argued that Trump might have been the most dangerous near-term expression, the real problem is a large enough part of the population subscribes to the darkness considering our broken system and the current form of weaponized populism.

And then goes on to say that he saw lots of otherwise good people sink into the murk and never seemed to return because it is the road to power. I haven't finished it yet but it definitely doesn't do much to dispel the belief we are ultimately pretty boned. It informs me that Trumpism isn't going to die with Trump. It might even be inaccurate to call it Trumpism though the label will probably stick.
Last edited by malchior on Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Grifman wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:02 am Shameless and ironic - the America First organization no longer cares about the Constitution:

The guy isn’t even fazed by the question, no embarrassment whatsoever.

Thus is how facism comes to America.
He's trying very hard to make Trump sound like a policy president. I wonder if he could even name any.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

"Stunning"
Politico flagged a stunning poll result showing that a quarter of Republican voters oppose Congress passing a federal law to protect interracial marriage.

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas raised alarm bells over rights like marriage equality, access to contraception, and private sexual activity when the Supreme Court effectively overturned Roe v. Wade with a 5-4 decision on Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization.

That result — stunning by 2022 standards — doesn’t quite explain why the Respect for Marriage Act passed in the House of Representatives last week by a 267 -157 margin, but Republican members voted against it by more than 3 to 1.

The highest opposition against the bill recorded by any Republican constituency was 28 percent among evangelicals (trailed closely by Republican men at 27 percent), yet 70 percent of Republican lawmakers voted against the bill.

But the bill also protects same-sex marriage, which a sim 51 percent majority of Republicans opposed in this poll, versus 58 percent majority support among all Americans.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Right. More like "Stunningn no one"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Trump said he wants to make camps outside the cities for homeless people and they cheered. I mean what could go wrong with taking certain people and locking them up in camps in the outskirts? I really just give up. Half the country is a bunch of Nazi idiots and there's nothing I can really do about it.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stessier

Post by stessier »

Maybe he meant nice day camp like retreat areas?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Holman

Post by Holman »

Holman wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:37 pm

Here's Matt Gaetz working to normalize the term.

We can expect more of this.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Holman wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:15 pm
Not if you face the Kaaba and kneel first.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

Holman wrote:

It’s not quite the same, but I had a conversation a few years back that went in a very similar direction. The guy was older, clearly smart, but was corrupted by conservative media. Fox News was the center for him. Anything else was far left.

We used to get into long, sometimes heated debates. During one of those he uttered “I’m white. I’m a nationalist. That makes me a white nationalist.”

He’s running for city council now. And will likely win.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holman wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:15 pm

Not just normalizing. Literally wearing it as a badge of pride.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Apparently Cruz and Hawley shared a celebratory fist bump when they helped block the burn pit bill for veterans.

I'm with Jon Stewart here. The anger is the right level for these absolute ghouls. Also fascinating to watch Stewart deconstruct the lies they are telling.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Arguably the most vicious bit of satire I have ever seen

malchior

Post by malchior »

This is about as low a move as I've seen since they shrugged at children being murdered at school. So maybe this time it'll cost them.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Ahh. the Onion
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Reality has made the Onion largely redundant.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Just making clear that the source of that information was The Onion, cause - these days it's not hard to bite on that stuff being entirely accurate.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Heres the news story to go with that posted Tweet

GOP is just plain evil greedy and stupid. There needs to be term limits for these positions so this kind of shit cannot stay in there forever or be reelected.

Video Shows Republicans Fist Bumping After Blocking Veteran Healthcare Bill

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I know that almost all politicians these days, D and R, are self serving assholes and I would never try and defend any of them, but isnt shit like this just propaganda? How in the world does anyone know what they were fist bumping about, let alone saying as fact that it was about blocking aid to vets?

Maybe it was a congratulatory bump over finding out that lesion on his dick wasnt herpes.
Maybe it was secret code for "I'll see you in the locker room in 10".
Maybe it was to celebrate booking a trip together to Mexico.

You can take the optics and make them whatever you want.
Was it "Yay.....fuck them vets"? Maybe. But honestly, who really knows except those in the little circle jerk.
I'd kind of think you guys are smart enough to not get sucked into media manipulation such as this.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Unagi wrote:Just making clear that the source of that information was The Onion, cause - these days it's not hard to bite on that stuff being entirely accurate.
Note that this is not regarding the first bump, but rather link I said was satire...

malchior

Post by malchior »

stimpy wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:54 pm I know that almost all politicians these days, D and R, are self serving assholes and I would never try and defend any of them, but isnt shit like this just propaganda? How in the world does anyone know what they were fist bumping about, let alone saying as fact that it was about blocking aid to vets?
Because that happened right after the vote results were announced.
Maybe it was a congratulatory bump over finding out that lesion on his dick wasnt herpes.
It's possible. Extremely unlikely but possible. Some of us aren't in the mood to give these absolute ghouls the benefit of the doubt anymore.
Was it "Yay.....fuck them vets"? Maybe. But honestly, who really knows except those in the little circle jerk.
I'd kind of think you guys are smart enough to not get sucked into media manipulation such as this.
In the end, they still blocked the bill which essentially said, "fuck them vets". Even if it wasn't a celebration of killing the bill, their actual actions are there for you to see. It's all the worst since we know they voted for the bill in the first place and talked their support of it. Then they blocked the re-vote to fix a drafting error because they are rotten child-persons throwing a tantrum. Again figuratively it is very much "fuck them vets". So please do us a favor and spare us this absolute bullshit.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

stimpy wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:54 pm I know that almost all politicians these days, D and R, are self serving assholes and I would never try and defend any of them, but isnt shit like this just propaganda? How in the world does anyone know what they were fist bumping about, let alone saying as fact that it was about blocking aid to vets?

I'm not a self-serving asshole defender, but...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nah, I don't think it was 'Fuck the vets." I think that they'd decided ahead of time that the vets would be acceptable collateral damage in a plan to (whatever.) They were fist bumping that they'd succeeded in their plan. The vets getting fucked was a side effect of said plan, and probably didn't even enter into their minds once the plan had been decided on.

They're not targeting vets, they're just making strategic decisions toward their end-game goal, and not caring what ruin it brings along the way, as long as they win in the end.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)