Planet Zoo

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: Planet Zoo

Post by Daehawk »

These type games are all overwhelming to some degree now days. I loved RCT and SimCity 2000 but Planet Coaster and City Skylines both overwhelmed me easy.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:08 pm These type games are all overwhelming to some degree now days. I loved RCT and SimCity 2000 but Planet Coaster and City Skylines both overwhelmed me easy.
Playing games that overwhelm you are a great way to keep your mind healthy as you age. Doing easy things - especially things you've done over and over - doesn't really do much to keep your brain from slowing down.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

naednek wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:29 pm i think jztemple is probably the OOer most responsible on getting me to buy games. I saw his post about the sale, and I picked it for about $13.

I'm on the 2nd tutorial. Quite a jump from Planet coaster so far. A bit overwhelming. Will be looking at BH's post between work duties today.

Thanks BH for the writeup

JZ, send me money
As soon as I get the money from the publishers for pimping their games :wink:
Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:54 pm Playing games that overwhelm you are a great way to keep your mind healthy as you age. Doing easy things - especially things you've done over and over - doesn't really do much to keep your brain from slowing down.
I'm finding it a bit overwhelming too, but for me the points to remember are 1) you can always play on Easy, at least till you get up to speed, and 2) as amazingly comprehensive are are the tips from Blackhawk are (and they are pretty amazing), your Planet Zoo empire won't collapse if you don't memorize and implement all of them immediately. I copied them over to a MS Word document, printed them out and carried and read them today while my wife was running her errands and I was driving her. Now I'll go back into my Maple Leaf Zoo and start using them to tweak my gameplay.

By the way Blackhawk, I've told my wife the same thing as you mentioned, that playing tough and complex game are a good way to keep my mind alert and healthy as I get older. Mind you, it might be a harder sell when GTA 6 comes out and I'm running over prostitutes :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm finding it a bit overwhelming too, but for me the points to remember are 1) you can always play on Easy, at least till you get up to speed, and 2) as amazingly comprehensive are are the tips from Blackhawk are (and they are pretty amazing), your Planet Zoo empire won't collapse if you don't memorize and implement all of them immediately.
I'd add: When you have more to do than you can do simultaneously, you can play it on pause. The game spends a lot of time paused when I play - add a new animal to his habitat, pause, check everything - terrain, vegetation, shelter, accessibility, education, enrichment, etc. Get it all tweaked and set up, then unpause.

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:31 pm By the way Blackhawk, I've told my wife the same thing as you mentioned, that playing tough and complex game are a good way to keep my mind alert and healthy as I get older. Mind you, it might be a harder sell when GTA 6 comes out and I'm running over prostitutes :wink:
That's OK. New experiences that challenge your problem solving skills, visual perception, and reaction time are beneficial, too.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Re: spoilers, BH, I thought I saw mention (maybe in your post) of a storyline? Thus my question.

I personally don’t consider things like ‘new map reveals’ (or even unlocked animals) in what is basically a sandbox/builder game like this to be spoilers, but everyone is different.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

With spoilers, I give the benefit of the doubt to the more sensitive.

And there is a 'storyline', but it isn't really something with enough depth to spoil. You work for a guy, then you work for a different guy, then you work for someone else. There's some mustache twirling and rivalry... all within the 20 second briefing speeches. It's more about giving context to the challenges of each scenario and tying them together than really telling a story.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Prepared to be amazed

Wow

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Impressive - I dug up the video:

naednek

Post by naednek »

I wonder how did that, because the textures looks nothing like mine. I also don't have the dlc's just base.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

He did a lot of it by putting pieces together in novel ways that you would not expect. Check out the section on the ruined castle and how the window frames are made of hundreds of brackets.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm on the last regular scenario. Spoiler warning for this post if you care - I'll be going into detail on the scenario (objectives, etc), sans story.
Spoiler:
The scenario gives you a blank slate. A completely flat area, although it's space-limited. The challenge is to use that space to create a great zoo, with a significant number of habitat species for the space given, and lots of secondary 'quality' objectives (animal rating, guests in the park, zoo rating, etc.) The only real twist is that you have a competitor trying to sabotage you, so you'll have a significantly increased crime rate that you'll need to counter with extra security. You have access to pretty much ever tool in the book, and the market has a big variety of animals. But to get it to work with your starting cash and in the space provided will take the skills you've learned throughout the rest of the game.
First things first. I saw that this was going to be all about space efficiency. My thought was that, as small as this space is, I could probably put staff facilities in the center and serve the entire park, but I'd need a lot of them, and couldn't afford to waste space. Not only that, but I'd need the larger, more advanced versions of some of the them that would be researched later to handle the number of staff I'd have. That meant that I'd have to take the space used by the larger versions of some of the rooms into account when building, as I was going to have to build around them, and couldn't just throw down a second staff area when I researched the larger buildings. So I went into sandbox mode and played around with the various staff facilities. I figured out an arrangement that was very space-efficient that allowed me to place everything in a single square, and had all of the doors facing outward. I left gaps to take the larger buildings into account with their doors in the same location as the original. I could simply pause, delete the 'small ____' and place the 'large ____' into the same place with only minimal adjustment of the paths.

So, here is the version with the basic, starter buildings in place (on the right side):

And here it is with the starter buildings replaced by the more advanced versions. It leaves a gap in one corner the size of a small staff room - perfect for a 'security office', which is helpful in this scenario:

And, finally, here is what it looks like with paths added to the basic version:

Note that this involves a few hovering buildings until the upgrades are in place. I went with it, and just let myself squint an ignore it (besides, if you break down the built-in stuff they use in the scenarios, there's a lot of stuff floating in the air - they just disguise it well with the outside architecture.) I also won't be adding the decorative elements until after I upgrade - money will be at a premium.

So, once I nailed my design, I selected everything and made a blueprint out of it. I also took screenshots from a few different angles to make sure I knew how the paths went in - paths don't blueprint- and how the advanced buildings fit.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Onto the zoo. Spoiler warnings for the final scenario remain. I'm going to bigimg all of the screenshots - click to embiggen. Here is the actual starting area. We're given this, and we're given $20,000. The entrance is directly below the camera in most of these, btw.

Enlarge Image

My first step was to select and sell everything in that starting area. Logs, buildings, fences, junk - everything. That gave me an open space and increased my starting funds to around $27,000. I then took the "Flatten to Foundation" terrain tool, set it to 5 or 6 and 100%, and started (very important) from the path at the entrance, creating a small flat space around it. Once I had a small space, I cranked the tool up to maximum size (20) and flattened the entire map, being sure to use the starting level as the level of the entrance path. I went front to back, then side to side to make sure that it was perfectly flat. After that, I went back and did the same thing, but this time with the terrain painter set to 100% and max size, choosing 'short grass.' The idea was to give myself a true blank canvas, where I wouldn't have to deal with a hill in the wrong place, and wouldn't have to deal with searching for the last bit of 'soil' that was hidden under a path and throwing off the animals terrain ratings.

I wanted to build everything in the free power zone around my entrance until I had researched wind and solar power, so I took that into account.

I went into my blueprints and laid down the starter buildings I'd created earlier in sandbox mode, then laid 6m wide paths all the way around them. The idea was to skirt the guests all the way around and avoid the 'negative impact' of staff buildings while creating a circular pathway to every section of the zoo (to avoid traffic jams.) I did have to put three or four decorative walls on one building (the quarantine) to get the negative impact reduced so as to not overlap the path. I also sent paths out from each side - the idea being to divide the entire zoo into sections with easy guest access. I later blocked off the paths I wasn't ready to work with by deleting a single section. I set an info booth right at the entrance, and set audio tours to zero profit (getting those in the guests' hands for the education rating is more important than making a few cents on them.)

Enlarge Image

Everything at this point has been done on pause, by the way. There's no point in racking up expenses before you construct some sources of income. I then took out a $50,000 loan. The entire first phase of this zoo would be that loan - getting a solid base income set up while paying it off. My goal wasn't to make money - I knew in advance that I'd be bouncing around at close to 0 the entire first five years, often dropping into the negatives. But if I could survive long enough to pay off the loan, I'd have a money-making operation in place when that expense vanished. First, I needed enough animals to actually attract guests, but without a high overhead (costs, space, or staff.) That meant a set of exhibits - I went with four. I built an area using the 'floor' construction pieces, then placed them, then laid path across the floor with 'align to grid.' I also used 'align to grid' to create a guest facility area - a food court - in the area I intended to start with. I bought four exhibit animals - spiders and titan beetles to start a steady flow of conservation points, plus a boa constrictor and a gila monster for their high ratings. I placed educational items and donation bins around them, and that's it - no decor, yet.

Enlarge Image

Next, I planned a couple of habitats based on what was actually available on the market. A small one for aardvarks, and a larger one. Given the space limits and high animal numbers required for objectives, I knew that I'd need to have multi-animal habitats, so the big one was built for sable antelope and ostriches, with the intention of adding more later. I placed a bathroom, ATMs, tables, and food and drink stalls. The stalls were not where I wanted them - I had to put them on the opposite side to stay within the starter power zone. I'd move them later. I also made sure that donation bins, recycling bins, benches, security cameras, educational displays/speakers, etc. were in place, then hired staff. Enough for my shops plus one, two vets (one for research), two mechanics (one for research), one keeper, one caretaker, and security (earlier than usual due to the scenario.)

Nothing is getting decorated at this point. It's going to be bare-bones until I get that loan paid off. But this gave me the essentials, so I started some $1000 advertising and opened the zoo.

I held at this point, only spending to solve issues, and just kept things running until that loan was paid off. At the same time, I trained my staff to two stars, and my researchers up to three. I focused on using that five year downtime to get as much research done as possible. First, I got everything to two levels of research, then four, then maxed. At the times when I did have a little extra money I added a couple of African Buffalo to the mixed exhibit, and - almost at the end of the five years - was able to build a solar panel and move the two vendors to the opposite side. That left the space between the aardvarks and the food court, which was just big enough to squeeze in a couple of tortoises (tip - if you put animals next to your food facilities, make sure you also put up a 'do not feed' sign.) The moved vendors and tortoises weren't in place yet when I took this shot, btw.

Enlarge Image

Loan paid off! Now I took the time to start adding some decor, making what I had look nice. That improves guest opinion quite a bit. I added zebras to the multi-species Africa habitat (and will be adding more when I can get the right numbers on the market.) I still hadn't finished researching all of the staff buildings, so I made that my next priority. I finished the research on all of my current habitat animals, added educators, tweaked what I could to improve animal health, and started hoarding animals (more on that later.) I also switched to a $5000 plus a $2500 advertising campaign to bring in more visitors. In the exhibits, I replaced the insects with reptiles to reduce micromanagement after I had my economy buzzing and other sources of conservation points (education, renewable power, recycling bins, research, etc.)

Enlarge Image

After I finished researching the staff building upgrades, I switched the old to the new, updated the work zones, and set about making the staff section look like it wasn't under construction. I also added a few more decorative touches.

Enlarge Image

Now, having paid off my loan, polished up what I had already, I had money pouring in. By this point, I was sitting on $100,000. It was time to expand.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk, I'm noticing that you're hosting your screenshots on Imgur. I'm assuming that you aren't playing on Steam since you could use Steam to host your screenies (assuming you know that).

The building you made to house those four exhibits is amazing. I thought it was some kind of pre-rolled building until I compared your screenshots. That's the difference between me and most other players of Planet Zoo (and other creative games), it never would have occurred to me to make something like that lovely wood wrapped enclosure :roll:.

Is there a reason you put your staff buildings on an upper floor? If you explained it I might have missed it.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:23 pm Blackhawk, I'm noticing that you're hosting your screenshots on Imgur. I'm assuming that you aren't playing on Steam since you could use Steam to host your screenies (assuming you know that).

The building you made to house those four exhibits is amazing. I thought it was some kind of pre-rolled building until I compared your screenshots. That's the difference between me and most other players of Planet Zoo (and other creative games), it never would have occurred to me to make something like that lovely wood wrapped enclosure :roll:.

Is there a reason you put your staff buildings on an upper floor? If you explained it I might have missed it.
I'm playing on Steam, but I take screenshots and video with Shadowplay, including games I play on Steam and those I don't. I prefer to keep everything in one place, and I've never had an issue with Imgur.

All I did with the exhibit building is put flat walls on the sides, arches over the doors, and then used curved walls for the corners. Ditto with the roof. It wasn't any more elaborate than the process for enclosing a simple vendor stall - it was just on a larger scale.
jztemple2 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:23 pm Is there a reason you put your staff buildings on an upper floor? If you explained it I might have missed it.

The first post with the large screenshots went into that - space is at a premium on this map. By having a two-story staff building, I'm able to compress the staff facilities for the entire zoo into a single square of real estate.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was going to do more screenshots, but to better explain the staff building, I'll just upload a short video that shows that - plus the expansion.

I added in a lemur habitat to one side using the 'sunken habitat' technique (lay out paths, make a hole with the 'push terrain' tool, then use the 'flatten to foundation' tool in the hole to spread it to the paths.) The climbing structures are straight out of the Steam Workshop. I wanted to keep it barrier-free (and the lemurs can't get out, since it is surrounded by cliffs), but they're too sensitive to stress, so I had to put up double sided glass barriers so that the couldn't see all of the humanity staring at them. Again, to save space, it's multi-species, currently housing both red ruffed and ring tailed lemurs.

I added a 'North American safari' to the rear that I'm still working on that will include American bison and pronghorns (plus prairie dogs should they ever actually appear on the market.)

Given that I'm spreading onto the left side of the map now, I added another food court, this time with a restaurant (pulled, again, from the Workshop.)

Next, I'm going to see about getting some high rating animals for later objectives. Animal ratings are something I haven't had to deal with, but apparently it's how the guests see the animals. That means a combination of genetics, diet, welfare, and simple desirability (lions are better liked than antelope), combined with how well the guests can see them, so I'll be needing some more elaborate exhibit designs, with paths above and viewing areas 'within' the habitats. So for now, I'm doing what I mentioned earlier - I'm hoarding animals. Any potentially high-appeal species, plus any species that I might be able to add to my exhibits later, I'm buying. I'm holding out for gold rated animals, and buying them as I see them (and can afford them with Conservation Credits), but remember - they don't age or need fed in storage. When I get the right combination of sexes, I'll build habitats for them, or insert them into existing habitats. It's much less of a hassle to hoard them now than it is to wait until I have a habitat in place and spend hours watching the market.

Anyway, here's a quick look, including a few clicks on the exhibit building (and remember - I built it with floors initially, not paths. That made it simple to add walls later.)

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And done with that one. And, I think, the game for now, at 197 hours in Steam (and most of that - probably 90% - is actual play time.) It was a great time, but I've finished all the non-DLC career missions, and I'm ready for a change. Here were the last few steps.

First, I used the space along the front fence that was going to waste to add habitats for a saltwater crocodile and gharials. That was... fiddly.

Enlarge Image

Next, I added red pandas, Nile monitors, and two different bear habitats to the left side of the park. I also added a couple of wildebeests to the mixed African habitat. For the red pandas, I sank the habitat to match what the lemur habitat on the opposite side of the path. For the bears, I first ran an elevated bridge down the center of the open space, then ran a concrete wall down the center of the bridge. I used that concrete wall as the dividing wall to build one habitat on each side. I then put an observation platform in the middle of it with the 'align to grid' function that doubles as a shelter (tip - if you do this, turn off the 'supports on elevated' option for paths, and use logs/beams to add fake supports later, otherwise it will add so many supports under the deck that it will block much of the space for the animals.) The monitors are the straightforward sandy area in the lower center here, the bears in the upper left. The final exhibit was placed, the okapi were placed, and the gold medal dinged. I ended up calling it done before I decorated their habitat, so the last one looks pretty plain in the shot.

Enlarge Image

This was a little earlier in the game, but I do enjoy the nighttime.

Enlarge Image

And, finally:

Final (for now) tip: By the end, I had begun to not release every animal into the wild. If I had a particularly good specimen, I'd put them in the trade center with an 'S' before their name. Say I have two zebras - Herb and Helen. They keep popping out babies, and to prevent inbreeding I send them all back to the wild. Then they pop out a gold rated baby, Billy. I changed his name to 'S BIlly' (for 'storage'), and moved him to the trade center when he matured. Now, when Herb and Helen get too old, I can rehome them (or get rid of their corpses) and bring 'Billy' back out. Now I just need to grab a female zebra and they're good to go for another 25 years (and I probably started looking for a female as soon as I stored Billy.) I did the same thing with my exhibits - once I had enough Conservation Credits to not worry about it, I started keeping a gold-rated male and female pair of everything in storage. Normally, as soon as my breeding pair gets near their terminal age (about the time a 7-year lifespan scorpion hits 4 or 5 years), I'll release them and assign a new breeder from their offspring (remember, no inbreeding concerns for exhibits.) The problem comes when they drop a few litters in a row at that point with all females, or gold males and only poorly rated females. Now I'll just bring in one of my stored breeders to replace them.
naednek

Post by naednek »

any reason nobody sits on my restaurant tables?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

naednek wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:03 pm any reason nobody sits on my restaurant tables?
A couple of possibilities:

~Are they designated restaurant tables? Picnic tables are for wandering guests, restaurant tables are a different thing, tied to restaurants.

~Did you link them to the restaurant? You have to select the restaurant itself and go into the info/control panel for it and manually link the tables.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:22 pm
naednek wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:03 pm any reason nobody sits on my restaurant tables?
A couple of possibilities:

~Are they designated restaurant tables? Picnic tables are for wandering guests, restaurant tables are a different thing, tied to restaurants.

~Did you link them to the restaurant? You have to select the restaurant itself and go into the info/control panel for it and manually link the tables.
Oh ok well that makes sense. I finally found where my screenshot went. Thought if I hit F12 on Steam it would be there. Apparently you need to upload

This is what I have. I made a patio (basically a path on a grid) and placed restaurant tables on them. I mean in real life I don't think I would care if it was from a restaurant or a normal table..

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2842545124
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, unless there was a restaurant in range with the tables assigned to it, the guests wouldn't even acknowledge them. Pretend they have little signs that say, "Reserved for Randy Rhino Restaurant Customers Only." The ones you want are specifically called 'picnic tables' (and have the advantage that you can put an umbrella on them - just select an umbrella from the same section of the Facilities menu, turn on 'snap into position' (or something like that), and it will snap right onto the table.
naednek

Post by naednek »

i changed out a few to see if anything happens and still nobody wants to sit
naednek

Post by naednek »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A few more thoughts:

First, nobody wants to sit in Planet Zoo - the sit because they need to. Specifically, they sit when their energy rating gets low. Sitting on a bench helps a little, and sitting at a table helps a lot. If their energy isn't low, they won't sit. Planet Zoo is a little like the Dungeon Keeper games, or Majesty. You don't give guests instructions, you manipulate them into doing what you need them to do (like putting big attractions at the back of the park, or having rides that drop them off somewhere you want them to be.)

Second (and this could be the issue here), they look for places to sit near where they're going. If they're going from point A to point B and they pass a bench or table, they will sit if their energy is low. If they do not pass a table, they will not sit. That means that if they're going from A to B, they won't go searching for point C to sit down - they'll just go on point B with low energy and complain. They can eat while they walk (which is where much of the litter comes from.) Looking at your layout in the screenshot, a lot of people are walking on the left-to-right path, and so they're not going anywhere near the tables.

From the AI's perspective, if they're at A and they want to go to B, they'll pick the shortest path. If they get hungry, they'll detour to food, then continue along the shortest path to B, stopping to eat at a table if there's one nearby. In other words, unless they feel that it is a shortcut, they're not going to go into your plaza, and won't be near your tables when they need them, as the plaza isn't really the shortest route from the food at the bottom to much else. Comparing yours to one of mine (posting yours, hope you don't mind.)

Enlarge Image

Separate path for them to walk to the food, and then avoid your tables entirely.

Enlarge Image

When they get the food, they're right by the tables (and the ATMs), and they're going to be forced to walk past the tables and vendors as they go from the section on the left to the section on the right, or vice-versa. I didn't design all of mine with the plaza as part of the path, but if I didn't, I made sure that it was immediately adjacent and that at least some of the vendors were near the path to attract the visitors.

Moving the plaza would be a pain. Consider moving your vendor booths so that they abut the plaza directly. It could be done for minimal expense and hassle.

And as a general rule, the less walking they have to do, the better it is for you - guests will tire less, and they'll see more (which means they'll spend more) before they run out of time and leave. They only have a few days per visit to the zoo (in PZ time), so you want them wasting as little as possible. One thing that also helped me was realizing that I was making everything too big. The paths too long, the exhibits twice the size they needed to be, the plazas too big. Looking back, it was like taking an entire Wal-Mart parking lot to create a picnic area.

This was one video that opened my eyes a bit to the sheep-herding that is managing guests in Planet Zoo:

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Looking a bit closer at your image, and I had some more insights. I hope you don't mind me sharing - this isn't criticism, just some suggestions.

Here is your park. The first thing I note is that there are a lot of dead ends. That means that people are going to go somewhere, finish, and then have to retrace their path to get to the next thing. That is all extra walking that will tire them out and burn up their time spent in the park doing things that don't educate them or make you money. It is helpful to keep people flowing from one thing to another. The park itself is a "J" rather than a loop, your two exhibit sections are dead ends (they don't lead anywhere), and the habitat on the right is also a dead end - the guests have two windows and some glass walls, but also wander around to the backside for more windows, forcing them to come back out the way they came in. And the only time they're likely to cross your plaza is when they're done and on the way home, or if they'd decided to visit your leftmost exhibit directly from the right size of the zoo. That also means that when they hit the point of 'time to go home', they'll have to walk right back out past everything they've already seen - that puts them in a bad mood, and their mood when they walk out the gate is what matters most.

I've sketched in a typical visitor route in blue here. Note that in order to see three attractions (two exhibits, one habitat, they're doubling back three times:

Now, I made some hypothetical tweaks in red. I snipped one road on the right. This could be temporary by just deleting the first section of the path - if you want guests to go that way later, you could replace that one section. I move the food stands up and removed the paths to them, and I added a path around the rear, near the entrance. I then redrew the typical guest route. It's not perfect, but the guests flow in a circle, with far less wasted time and energy. Note also the the guests coming in can turn either left or right to visit the exhibit of their choice. Splitting the flow of traffic like this tends to help prevent traffic jams, as they won't all be following and identical route.

As an alternative, you could link the upper right exhibit with the back side of that habitat (IE - connect the paths), then put another habitat on the opposite side of that path, which would again split the route, easing foot traffic later. If you then put something on the left side (between the exhibit and the bathrooms), with the only windows facing the exhibits - again, to pull people where you want them.

Then, eventually, toss a high-appeal exhibit (lions and tigers and bears and red pandas, oh my) down where you current food court is at to pull people in deeper. People come in, split left and right to make their way down to the bottom, grab a snack, and them move back out the opposite way, seeing new stuff the whole time. They'll likely run out of stuff to see fairly near the exit, which is always a positive, as the won't tire themselves out leaving.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I hope you don't take that as my being rude - I'm just attempting to illustrate the logic that the game operates under. Feel free to ignore the ideas. ;)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Makes me want to play this but I dont think I own it anywhere..
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:13 pm I hope you don't take that as my being rude - I'm just attempting to illustrate the logic that the game operates under. Feel free to ignore the ideas. ;)
I appreciate your taking time to make these explanations. While I'm not play PZ now, I'll be bookmarking your comments for some later time.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I'm about to get dinner going, so my response will be short.

Not offended at all. I didn't see your post (i did see part and noticed you added more to the original and then more) Before now, I went ahead and deleted that patio space and made a new habitat.

The reason why i placed a path that extended to the vendors was in my previous zoo attempt it was too crowded. They would gather in line blocking the path for others to traverse. I figured I'd let them creep up a bit to get out of the way.

I do have dead ends, but the goal over time is to add more places where the dead ends are at. I had a lot of overcrowding in previous games, so I was trying to space things out more.

I'll revisit this later as I gotta get going.

Appreciate the feedback. This game is as straightforward as Planet Coaster.
naednek

Post by naednek »

This is what I mean about the crowds. They just block and everything, and it seems my plan isn't working
Enlarge Image
Last edited by naednek on Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:31 pm Enlarge Image
Thanks Isg. Was trying to figure out why it wouldn't work.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

naednek wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:10 pm This is what I mean about the crowds. They just block and everything, and it seems my plan isn't working
Enlarge Image

Ah, that's because they're stopping to look in the window at the animals, and are clogging it up for passerby. Generally, wherever you put windows in habitats, that's where people will stop and stare. If it needs to be pure 'get through', I'd probably put the window somewhere else. If you want the window there and the vendors at the same time, I'd increase that path to 6 or even 8 wide. You do not want people stopping on a four-wide path or the traffic is instantly jammed.

FWIW, I usually left a path for vendors, too, but it was usually about 6 meters long (so about half again as long as it is wide, a short, fat rectangle.) I found that if it filled that far, people simply wouldn't stop (guest thoughts would be about 'It's too busy.')
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Glad to help.
It's almost as if people are the problem.