Re: tesla motors

Post by Zaxxon »

Now do crashes per mile on ADAS.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:25 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:35 am And an answer to why Musk has been cozying up to certain politicians:

The replies to that tweet are crazy. Pretty much all unanimous rejection of the data presented.
Because the numbers are not ratios or %. But absolute numbers do matter.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:53 pm Now do crashes per mile on ADAS.
If Tesla had a PR department I'm sure they would have released ADAS miles driven. As it is, not sure where to get that data.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:11 pm
If Tesla had a PR department I'm sure they would have released ADAS miles driven. As it is, not sure where to get that data.
From the not-a-PR department:
https://www.tesla.com/VehicleSafetyReport

Fully agreed that they need to grow up and get an actual PR dept to provide context for days like today.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Just speculating, but I'd imagine Tesla is still #1 - there will be more Hondas on the road with ADAS than Teslas.
Hodor.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:30 pm
Just speculating, but I'd imagine Tesla is still #1 - there will be more Hondas on the road with ADAS than Teslas.
Yes, but I would wager your average driver of other manufacturers uses L2 autonomous driving a whole lot less often. Many aren't able to be engaged on a lot of highways, others are just not great (see Volvo's, which I had prior to my Tesla). I'm not suggesting that Tesla's system is far and away safer than others at this point. I'm just pushing back on the general take-away from headlines, which is that this data implies that Tesla is worse than others. I doubt that given my own experiences with Tesla's and others.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Once again Tesla sends a confusing message. I received a recall letter on the airbag for my Model S. I went through the app and set up a service appointment for next week. I received a confirmation email.

Then I got a confirmation call from a Tesla rep. Before hanging up I asked offhand if this repair could be done by mobile service. He said yes, but recommended in person in case they found any other problems. I agreed.

Today I got an email confirming a mobile appointment for one day later than the original with no explanation. That is less hassle for me, so fine. I guess they can't take yes for an answer.

Side note: Received another confirmation on my phone app. It showed an estimate of $0. There was a button to push for "approve estimate" but every time I pushed it I got an error message.

Who's running this place anyway?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:45 pm Side note: Received another confirmation on my phone app. It showed an estimate of $0. There was a button to push for "approve estimate" but every time I pushed it I got an error message.

Who's running this place anyway?
It's a tech company, what do you expect?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

EAP is back as an option for new purchases. Yay. $6k?!? Boo!
Enhanced Autopilot
$6,000

Navigate on Autopilot
Auto Lane Change
Autopark
Summon
Smart Summon
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

$6k is ridiculous. As is $12k for FSD.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Cult leader status level up.
Elon Musk secretly welcomed twins last year.

The 51-year-old Tesla CEO fathered twins with Shivon Zilis last November, according to court documents published by the Insider Wednesday. The twins were born in Austin, Texas.

The papers reveal that in April, Musk and Zilis –– who is the project director at his Neuralink company –– asked a Texan county court to change their babies' names so they would "have their father's last name and contain their mother's last name as part of their middle name."

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I was going to make a joke about Musk taking his underpopulation comments seriously, but he just beat me to it...

*sigh*
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Maybe he blew up the guidestones.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:43 am Maybe he blew up the guidestones.
This is an excellent link. By George! I think you're onto something here.
geezer

Post by geezer »

When exactly did Elon Musk become a guy who abandoned any pretensions of being seriously interested in solving world-sized problems, and instead turned to becoming some unholy amalgam of Howard Hughes and Jordan Petersen?
malchior

Post by malchior »

So I'm having a weird problem out of nowhere. Several entertainment apps have vanished. For example no Tidal, Twitch, and Netflix. They were there yesterday. I had an update queued up so let that install. That didn't change anything. I did a few reboots as well. Really strange.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That is bizarre.

I dropped my X off at service tonight for a post-road trip visit to adjust a windshield wiper that's going off the edge of the window when wiping at high speeds plus a bulletin for half-shaft replacement.

Some interesting changes to the experience--upon entering a service request, you now get assigned a pre-visit tech along with a chat interface to an actual human. One who responds to questions quickly and can help update the ticket with any non-form-fitting requests. Then when the car is dropped off, you also receive direct contact info to the on-site tech assigned to your car--both direct phone and email. This is a huge improvement and addresses my biggest complaint with Tesla thus far. We'll see how the service visit plays out, but I love the improvements.

Also, Uber credits are now integrated into the app and deep link to the Uber app. I'd still prefer a streamlined loaner option, but this is better than the kludgy initial Uber setup at Tesla.

Finally, the car is scheduled to be looked at and finished tomorrow. Again we'll see how that goes, but promising so far.

Separately, I see that the current-gen Wall Connector now supports (or is about to support) letting people or businesses bill customers by the kWh, and that billing will work seamlessly with any Tesla or non-Tesla set up with the Tesla app, just like Superchargers do--plug in and it just works. This could be huge for small biz locations who might rather pay hundreds for WCs rather than five figures for a Chargepoint pedestal or equivalent. Will be interesting to see how that develops.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I talked to Tesla support but they had to punt it to a support team. Reboots, power offs, etc. didn't work. I did more research and found a workaround. I found a post saying to use an easter egg. That required change the name of the car to 'Rabbit of Caerbannog'. As soon as you do, a Monty Python style foot appears on the screen. Lo and behold all the apps are back and there is a Monty Python easter egg in the toybox. So seems to be some sort of bug and the easter egg resets some setting that restores what the UI is displaying.

I experienced the Uber integration when I had my car fixed in March. It works well and they essentially told me there won't be loaners for the foreseeable future. It makes sense with volume/prices where they are.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Our service center still has loaners, but they're for repairs taking more than a day and your local service advisor has to approve it. I didn't push since I can make it through today. If things delay I might try.

That workaround is... not what I expected. Are you on 2022.20.7 yet? I noticed that they moved to this from 2022.20.6 pretty quickly and to a very wide release, which made me wonder if .6 had some bugs classified as major.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:32 am Our service center still has loaners, but they're for repairs taking more than a day and your local service advisor has to approve it. I didn't push since I can make it through today. If things delay I might try.
That workaround is... not what I expected. Are you on 2022.20.7 yet? I noticed that they moved to this from 2022.20.6 pretty quickly and to a very wide release, which made me wonder if .6 had some bugs classified as major.
I was on 20.6 when the problem happened. I updated to 20.7 hoping it'd fix it. That was part of the reason they booted it to a support team because they couldn't push me a newer update.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:32 amThat workaround is... not what I expected. Are you on 2022.20.7 yet? I noticed that they moved to this from 2022.20.6 pretty quickly and to a very wide release, which made me wonder if .6 had some bugs classified as major.
I was on 20.6 when the problem happened. I updated to 20.7 hoping it'd fix it. That was part of the reason they booted it to a support team because they couldn't push me a newer update.

Edit: Apparently people have had this happen occasionally for some time. I found this fix in a TMC thread from 8/2021 that talked about this happening to folks goes back in the previous UI. So it's something deep in there.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The Meal

Post by The Meal »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:18 am I did more research and found a workaround. I found a post saying to use an easter egg. That required change the name of the car to 'Rabbit of Caerbannog'. As soon as you do, a Monty Python style foot appears on the screen. Lo and behold all the apps are back and there is a Monty Python easter egg in the toybox.
Of course.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
malchior

Post by malchior »

Bonkers

After wide release of FSD Beta 10.69.2, price of FSD will rise to $15k in North America on September 5th.

Current price will be honored for orders made before Sept 5th, but delivered later.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Absolutely absurd.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The thread is absolutely absurd too. Basically half the people are calling it a vaporware grift which isn't entirely accurate and the other half saying the price is worth it because they'll have a robotaxi business making it valuable. Good grief. A sucker is truly born every minute.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

The robotaxo believers have been around for years and probably still will be a couple of years from now, when it's still not a widespread thing.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Received this email from Tesla:

Subscribe to Keep Enjoying Premium Connectivity

Your complimentary trial of Premium Connectivity for your Model S VIN XXXX is ending on September 25, 2022.

After this date your car will switch to Standard Connectivity.
Connectivity Packages

Standard

Navigation Included

Premium

$9.99/mo
Navigation
Live Traffic Visualization
Satellite-View Maps
Video Streaming*
Caraoke*
Music Streaming*
Internet Browser*

*Available on Wi-Fi only with Standard Connectivity

Feature availability may vary by hardware configuration.

You can purchase Premium Connectivity on your Tesla App.

Assholes, no way am I paying for this. My question is will I still get music? Games? I don't give a rat's ass about any of the other stuff.

Edit Update: I watched a video, and you can get that "premium" content BS (while in park) by using the hotspot connection on your phone. For the two or three times per year I want those, that will be fine.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

I know Tesla has far and away the best supercharging network, but their nickel and diming on things like that are pushing me far away from considering them whenever I finally buy a BEV.
Hodor.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:50 pm Received this email from Tesla:

Subscribe to Keep Enjoying Premium Connectivity

Your complimentary trial of Premium Connectivity for your Model S VIN XXXX is ending on September 25, 2022.

After this date your car will switch to Standard Connectivity.
Connectivity Packages

Standard

Navigation Included

Premium

$9.99/mo
Navigation
Live Traffic Visualization
Satellite-View Maps
Video Streaming*
Caraoke*
Music Streaming*
Internet Browser*

*Available on Wi-Fi only with Standard Connectivity

Feature availability may vary by hardware configuration.

You can purchase Premium Connectivity on your Tesla App.

Assholes, no way am I paying for this. My question is will I still get music? Games? I don't give a rat's ass about any of the other stuff.

Edit Update: I watched a video, and you can get that "premium" content BS (while in park) by using the hotspot connection on your phone. For the two or three times per year I want those, that will be fine.
But you have to pay to get music, right? Is there anyway to just play music from your phone while driving?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:20 pm But you have to pay to get music, right? Is there anyway to just play music from your phone while driving?
Bluetooth?

The paid plan allows Spotify et al via the car's connection. You don't need prem. connectivity to play from your phone.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Best I can tell is without premium you can still get the Tesla music, but not streaming like Spotify. Will find out on the 26th.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:29 pm Best I can tell is without premium you can still get the Tesla music, but not streaming like Spotify. Will find out on the 26th.
You would just set your audio input to Bluetooth and play whatever you want (eg Spotify) on your phone. Maps/nav will continue to work normally, but you'll lose the high-bandwidth satellite view and live traffic.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:34 pm
Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:29 pm Best I can tell is without premium you can still get the Tesla music, but not streaming like Spotify. Will find out on the 26th.
You would just set your audio input to Bluetooth and play whatever you want (eg Spotify) on your phone. Maps/nav will continue to work normally, but you'll lose the high-bandwidth satellite view and live traffic.
What is not clear to me is if BT works while you are driving. Regardless, the Tesla music choices are better than anything on my phone.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:37 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:34 pm
What is not clear to me is if BT works while you are driving. Regardless, the Tesla music choices are better than anything on my phone.
It works fine. And you have the same music choices on your phone. :) Those services are all public.

I'm a little confused at the angst, as Volvo, Audi, etc all charge more than $10 for connectivity in the car. Maybe it's because other manufacturers may include CarPlay/Android Auto, simplifying the interface a bit?
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It is not angst so much as being pissed having to pay for something that was included for over a year. I wasn't paying much attention, but it was not clear to me that it was a free trial.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:44 pm It is not angst so much as being pissed having to pay for something that was included for over a year. I wasn't paying much attention, but it was not clear to me that it was a free trial.
Ah, yeah--been that way since early 2019 IIRC. I can see how that would annoy you, though!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Also, did not receive a similar notice on my daughter's Model 3. Is it no change for her?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Model 3 gets the premium connectivity trial for 30 days.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra