The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

Post by LordMortis »

I'll have nightmares about that face stained in iodine look tonight. It looks like attempting disease treatment going poorly, to say nothing of the missing neck.

This time!!!! Is all I can hear when it come to Trump. The only this time I can hope for is keeping his breed out of office or that some malady kills him or better yet incapacitates him so bad he can barely communicate and people can make fun of his disability and misery and even those hopes are low.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/04/politics ... index.html
News of grand jury subpoenas for former White House Counsel Pat Cipollone and former deputy counsel Patrick Philbin, the latter of which was first reported by CNN, is the latest sign that department investigators are reaching inside Trump's inner circle during his final days in the White House.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

So....the FBI raided Mar-a-Lago. Crazy stuff.

Edit: Bonus points because Trump is absolutely whining about it.

Last edited by malchior on Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Should have done it while he was on stage at CPAC.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The talk is this isn't 1/6 related but instead looking for classified documents that they think he might he have taken.

Meanwhile Fox News is talking about Hunter Biden, Hillary emails, etc. It is completely unhinged shit. I watched a guest talk about how Biden can't put on his sports coat and that the FBI is the military arm of the Democrats. I get this is why the DOJ is afraid of pursuing Trump because these people are absolutely nuts. The shit they are broadcasting right now is the type of shit that caused the riot at the Capitol.

This was earlier. When last I saw they put on Lara Trump to rile up the base with dangerous rhetoric.

malchior

Post by malchior »

I concur. A lot of what I heard tonight is a half hair from direct calls for violence.

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Someone on CNN said they moved today because the DOJ has internal guidance prohibiting such actions within 90 days of an election (something something Comey and her emails), and today was day 91.

We know that trump removed 15 cartons of records and mementos from the WH to Mary Largo, and the National Archives isn't happy about it. We don't know if this is a fishing expedition or if they're looking for something in particular.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Huh. That's interesting. I figured maybe it was a secret reference to Nixon resigning (8/8/74)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's hard to believe they raided a man who just buried his ex-wife at his golf course.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:02 pm Huh. That's interesting. I figured maybe it was a secret reference to Nixon resigning (8/8/74)
First night game at Wrigley. 8/8/88.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ok, that’s funny.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:10 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:02 pm Huh. That's interesting. I figured maybe it was a secret reference to Nixon resigning (8/8/74)
First night game at Wrigley. 8/8/88.
USSR establishes a communist government in North Korea (8/8/45)
1st national march of Ku Klux Klan in Washington, D.C. (8/8/25)
US Congress unanimously chooses the dollar as the monetary unit for the United States of America (8/8/1786)

or perhaps the most analogous :

Venetian senate examines Galileo Galilei's telescope (8/8/1609)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm beginning to think they want violence.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is amazingly irresponsible. There is a good chance this guy will be Speaker of the House soon enough and this is rich coming from a Republican.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Look who wants to defund law enforcement now?

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

A postscript to Fed’s good thread on the raid.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

malchior wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:03 pm It's hard to believe they raided a man who just buried his ex-wife at his golf course.
hahahahahahahaha!
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Boy, the "law and order" and "back the blue" crowd is sure having some big feelings about laws, orders, and blues today.

Two things that are standing out to me this morning:

1. While all the carnival barkers are doing their usual barking, the people who hold the actual power (namely Pelosi & McConnell) have remained noticeably silent. I assume they'll say something at some point, will be very interesting to see what that will be.

2. Trump has both the search warrant and the exact inventory of what was taken from MAL. If this is truly the "nothingburger" that he claims, he could prove that at any time. He won't, of course, because a) it's not a nothingburger and b) he would lose some of the martyr status that I'm sure is absolutely raking the $$ from the deplorables today.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Skinypupy wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:48 am Boy, the "law and order" and "back the blue" crowd is sure having some big feelings about laws, orders, and blues today.

Two things that are standing out to me this morning:

1. While all the carnival barkers are doing their usual barking, the people who hold the actual power (namely Pelosi & McConnell) have remained noticeably silent. I assume they'll say something at some point, will be very interesting to see what that will be.

2. Trump has both the search warrant and the exact inventory of what was taken from MAL. If this is truly the "nothingburger" that he claims, he could prove that at any time. He won't, of course, because a) it's not a nothingburger and b) he would lose some of the martyr status that I'm sure is absolutely raking the $$ from the deplorables today.
It's only a matter of time before the search warrant affidavit gets released. When it does that's when we'll know exactly what they were looking for and what crimes they suspect to have been committed. The common thought is that it's all about the 15 boxes of WH documents. BUT if they find other stuff in a plain site relevant to January 6th, they could use that against him as well. Say info about the 7.5 missing hours on is activity log that day. Trump is a conman who has always been able to outspend and delay his opponents. He won't be able to outspend the DOJ.
FTE
malchior

Post by malchior »

What we don't know is the DOJ's appetite to actually do something. Meaning this was more than has ever happened but if the purpose was to recover documents and they were recovered? That could just be all that happens. And we'll be stuck listening to them bleat about how this was another witch hunt.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My hope is he runs out of time. As he is falling from dying maybe he'll hit the gas on the stove or something and take his oddspring with them at a big party. ...and thats not a typo of offspring :)
malchior

Post by malchior »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:13 am My hope is he runs out of time. As he is falling from dying maybe he'll hit the gas on the stove or something and take his oddspring with them at a big party. ...and thats not a typo of offspring :)
Him dropping dead would be great but it probably won't change the trajectory this nation is on. The political problem is way past him at this point. Dark times seem inevitable.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:14 am
Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:13 am My hope is he runs out of time. As he is falling from dying maybe he'll hit the gas on the stove or something and take his oddspring with them at a big party. ...and thats not a typo of offspring :)
Him dropping dead would be great but it probably won't change the trajectory this nation is on. The political problem is way past him at this point. Dark times seem inevitable.
Yeah, agreed. It's worth noting that while Trump is still the MAGA focus, DeSantis is right there in the wings, ready to continue the same shit but with perhaps slightly more competence.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:08 am What we don't know is the DOJ's appetite to actually do something. Meaning this was more than has ever happened but if the purpose was to recover documents and they were recovered? That could just be all that happens. And we'll be stuck listening to them bleat about how this was another witch hunt.
The DOJ wouldn't go to a Federal Judge and ask for a search warrant for the Ex-President's residence if they weren't willing to prosecute. They have to allege that a crime has been committed in order to get the warrant approved and the Judge has to find probable cause as to the crime as well. This is not just an attempt to "recover documents". I suspect the DOJ knows a lot more than they are letting on. Remember for the past year they have been getting and serving search warrants on various Trump cronies, including the search on Eastman's office months ago.

As Ken over at Pophat would say "the wheels of Justice grind slowly, but they do grind".
FTE
malchior

Post by malchior »

What worries me is that the reaction to the FBI raid was profoundly dangerous. We saw leaders screaming things they knew were irresponsible, making threats of retribution, in support of someone they KNOW is a criminal. This isn't some passing fad. We're in a downward spiral and unless miracles happen at the ballot box we've got big problems.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Scraper wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:33 am
malchior wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:08 am What we don't know is the DOJ's appetite to actually do something. Meaning this was more than has ever happened but if the purpose was to recover documents and they were recovered? That could just be all that happens. And we'll be stuck listening to them bleat about how this was another witch hunt.
The DOJ wouldn't go to a Federal Judge and ask for a search warrant for the Ex-President's residence if they weren't willing to prosecute. They have to allege that a crime has been committed in order to get the warrant approved and the Judge has to find probable cause as to the crime as well. This is not just an attempt to "recover documents".
Technically correct on the alleging a crime aspect. However, I have seen several experts say and write that the Presidential Records Act has largely never been prosecuted. Also, the threat of prosecution has been used this way to recover documents/records that are deemed extremely critical to national security in the past. Most of the time it is a lower level person who surrenders them so this does indeed go well beyond that.
I suspect the DOJ knows a lot more than they are letting on. Remember for the past year they have been getting and serving search warrants on various Trump cronies, including the search on Eastman's office months ago.
It's all possible but we're in unknown waters here. Predicting anything with certainty is a fool's errand.
As Ken over at Pophat would say "the wheels of Justice grind slowly, but they do grind".
I'd love to believe it but we have tons of evidence that the wheels of justice don't grind against everybody. Especially Trump. I'll be ecstatic to be proved wrong here but I believe I have a reasonably solid foundation to be pretty skeptical. This is probably the most serious and closest to be sure though but how many times have we gone around here?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Scraper wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:33 am As Ken over at Pophat would say "the wheels of Justice grind slowly, but they do grind".
They've broken me. All I can do is think This time... in an impudent sarcastic tone.
Last edited by LordMortis on Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Defiant wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:24 am
Apparently you're supposed to be "in the know" about how Jesse Kelly tweets to understand what he really means by saying something like that, or something along those lines.
Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

What I'm trying to understand is - I can see a variety of reasons why Trump would remove classified documents from the White House. But why would he keep them rather than destroying them?
Black Lives Matter.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:50 am What I'm trying to understand is - I can see a variety of reasons why Trump would remove classified documents from the White House. But why would he keep them rather than destroying them?
So he can autograph them and sell them on eBay?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:35 am What worries me is that the reaction to the FBI raid was profoundly dangerous. We saw leaders screaming things they knew were irresponsible, making threats of retribution, in support of someone they KNOW is a criminal. This isn't some passing fad. We're in a downward spiral and unless miracles happen at the ballot box we've got big problems.
Yeah, it's scary. One thing I will say is that this greatly improves the odds of Garland having the stones to actually prosecute Trump. And that would be an unbelievable shitshow, there is no way out of this mess that doesn't involve a shitshow, and I'd rather be going through this on this kind of terrain than waiting until 2024.
Black Lives Matter.
Dramatist

The Trump Investigation(s) Thread

Post by Dramatist »

I know that everything is not out in the open. I know many of the extra MAGA Republicans in positions of power are in a tizzy and saying unhinged shit.

But the raid yesterday is nothing but good news to me. Trump may face some form of justice after all; and I’m here for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

El Guapo wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:50 am What I'm trying to understand is - I can see a variety of reasons why Trump would remove classified documents from the White House. But why would he keep them rather than destroying them?
He's presumably had these since January of 2021. I know there were investigator out to Mar-a-lago a few months ago regarding the missing files, so why did they conduct the warrant search yesterday? To me it feels like this is much bigger than we are being told. Not just because of the timing between the June search and yesterday, but that it took 17+ months for the initial June visit to be conducted. Regardless, I hope we find out soon.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

How is this still a thing? How has this not been settled yet??

Breaking: The D.C. Court of Appeals has just said the House Ways and Means Committee can obtain Trump's tax returns from the IRS.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Leverage or stupidity or bragging rights? One or more of all three are not outside of the realm of possibility.

Edit, that was to the post before.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:24 am
malchior wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:14 am
Yeah, agreed. It's worth noting that while Trump is still the MAGA focus, DeSantis is right there in the wings, ready to continue the same shit but with perhaps slightly more competence.
People literally worship Trump and I don't think DeSantis can maintain that level of devotion. That's at least a small improvement.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

And I dont get any of it. I think Im too smart for that clique.