Fortnite: Battle Royale

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Fortnite: Battle Royale

Post by coopasonic »

We had a thread on this before that was mostly about the original PvE game Save the World, but this keeps popping up in the randomness so thought we should give one of the most popular games in the world a thread of its own.

I've been playing for the past couple weeks because my kids have finally gotten into it. The kids are 16 and not quite 13. I've been having a lot of fun with it playing the zero build mode. I tried it way back when, but didn't really get into it, but I don't really remember why. I loved PUBG, though I was terrible at it, and this is basically PUBG lite an dI a way less terrible at it.
Daehawk wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:32 pm Fortnite. I suck but its still fun for a quick rush.. The colors are so silly bright and stuff. Its kiddy like but I enjoy it. Need to get better and learn item management and what is what.
The key stuff I have learned over the past couple weeks is to basically go for 3 weapons, close range, mid range and long range. For me I prefer a shotgun, pretty much any one will do) for close range, a Hammer assault, but I will take any other, for mid range and a DMR for long range. Heavy sniper is nice but reload time is a killer.

For the other two slots, generally healing (med mist preferably) and shields (Chug Splash or shield keg). If you are being more aggressive and can use them effectively, boogie bombs are fun. Rift to go is a great escape option and the port a fort is another handy tool. The challenge is that you have 5 slots and want to carry so much more.

The best players bounce like a freaking ummm... what bounces a lot? and still have great accuracy. You have to keep moving or you are just target practice.

Unless your team is really coordinated, solo is probably easier. Letting others start fighting each other and you finishing it is even better.

Of course I am rarely the winner, do take all that I've said with a salt lick or two.
Last edited by coopasonic on Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Re: Fornite: Battle Royale

Post by naednek »

My son and I play often. We're usually in the top 10 of every match, and we probably win 5% of those times. It's been fun watching the game evolve. I love that I don't have to spend money to be good, everything is just cosmetic.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

My son and I have been playing it too! Which has led me to do solo matches in the evenings as well. It is pretty fun - the "Hunger Games" style arena with everyone hunting each other and lots of interesting stuff on the map is very cool.

My view of strategy is pretty similar - usually grab some kind of shotgun, some midrange weapon (usually an SMG or Blaster Rifle), and a long range weapon (love the DMR). Will sometimes supplement the DMR with a heavy sniper rifle , such that if I'm catching someone unawares from long range, I'll open up with a sniper rifle shot, then switch to the DMR. And then some type of healing - usually med mist or chug splash cans. Shield potions and med kits are useless 90% of the time in a battle because they require you to stand still for 5+ seconds.

I will say I can't shake the suspicion that the best strategy would be to land in a less popular area, grab some weapons, then hide in a dumpster until the match is down to 25 or fewer competitors, then emerge, although that would all be extremely boring. As it is I do usually try to land in a less popular area *near* a crowded area, use that to scavenge my early weapons, and then come into the busy area (like Twisted Towers) after the initial bloodletting there has died down a bit.

ALSO - I've been doing quests, and trying to knab Darth Vader, but no luck yet. I came close the other day - damaged him and did in some storm troopers. But I lost him at some point, and so suspect that someone else offed him.
Black Lives Matter.
coopasonic

Re: Fortnite: Battle Royale

Post by coopasonic »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:12 pm ALSO - I've been doing quests, and trying to knab Darth Vader, but no luck yet. I came close the other day - damaged him and did in some storm troopers. But I lost him at some point, and so suspect that someone else offed him.
The key to Vader, in my experience, is having someone else soften him up and then kill them and finish Vader. Honestly it seems like Vader doesn't get engaged much. I'm not much a fan of the light saber, but it is fun to throw it to kill the stormtroopers.
Last edited by coopasonic on Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I have hid in the center of the circle up in a high rise with a sniper rifle only to have the map move on me and have to jump in a car and floor it to the next spot. Im still learning the map and bus paths and fall/glide stuff. I dont even know the guns. Im still just grabbin what I can and slotting it in.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:12 pm I will say I can't shake the suspicion that the best strategy would be to land in a less popular area, grab some weapons, then hide in a dumpster until the match is down to 25 or fewer competitors, then emerge, although that would all be extremely boring. As it is I do usually try to land in a less popular area *near* a crowded area, use that to scavenge my early weapons, and then come into the busy area (like Twisted Towers) after the initial bloodletting there has died down a bit.
It may be boring, but it's definitely how I had the most success in Fortnite when I played regularly. Landing somewhere not busy and heading into a shrinking circle with a bunch of purple/orange weapons and fully shielded up definitely gives you an advantage.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daughter was really into this for few months so we played but she lost interest. I enjoyed it but not enough to play without her.

The youngest was scary good at 4-5 YO but he kept talking about headshots and shooting things so we stopped letting him play.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Raised a regular Davy Crockett there.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Don't get too attached to a specific weapon as they cycle them in and out of the vault from chapter to chapter. (Or is it season to season?). There's always variations of shotguns and assault rifles and machine guns, but they're not always as effective or fun. I remember one season the shotguns were woefully underpowered - probably nerfed from being overpowered the previous season. I don't like the charge weapons, and prefer the auto shotgun over the two shot one. Otherwise ARs and the machine guns are always fun.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok Fortnite is a quick way to have fun. In and out. Made 11th. Best yet. I like it. I could have done better years ago but who cares. Fun is fun. I was killed by a player that had an animal then they rode away on it lol. Still stuff to see learn and experience. I still need to run over someone.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just jump on a wolf or boar and it becomes your pet/mount.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:01 pm Just jump on a wolf or boar and it becomes your pet/mount.
Easier said than done! The first time I did it was a totally happenstance. Now every time I try I get hit once before making it on. But it's a nice silent mode of fast movement - much more discrete than a car. That being said, driving a truck, or better a bus, once you get in say the final 10 is a great way to get near a win. Running people over never gets old. :)

When I first started, I would always drop someplace where few people were, find a weapon, hide, run to the next circle, hide, run, hide. I was frequently in the top 10. Once I started to gain confidence, I'd drop in more populated areas to get in some early fights and then do the hide/run/hide thing. It's fun because losing only costs you a minute or two in the waiting room before you can jump back in.

Someone mentioned Vader - once you learn where his 4 or 5 drop points are on the map, watch were he lands and then go to one of the other points to get the E-11 blaster. You can also steal it out from under his nose, but be prepared to run because he WILL hunt you quite a ways across the map (unless someone else does you a favor and attacks him to draw his attention away).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah I mentioned Vader. I'm at the point in the Vibin' quests where you have to kill him. Which I've tried a few times now but...he mops the floor with me pretty quickly each time. I saw something online suggesting going after him with a group so...maybe I'll see if I can talk my son into doing it.
Black Lives Matter.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:24 pm Yeah I mentioned Vader. I'm at the point in the Vibin' quests where you have to kill him. Which I've tried a few times now but...he mops the floor with me pretty quickly each time. I saw something online suggesting going after him with a group so...maybe I'll see if I can talk my son into doing it.
I believe you can also get credit for killing Vader if you damage him, and then someone else finishes him during the round. Though I always ask my son for help too when I can't take out one of the bosses. Probably easier that way.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:24 pm Yeah I mentioned Vader. I'm at the point in the Vibin' quests where you have to kill him. Which I've tried a few times now but...he mops the floor with me pretty quickly each time. I saw something online suggesting going after him with a group so...maybe I'll see if I can talk my son into doing it.
I just got to this point as well. I tried 2x on my own with the same results as you. Then I jumped in a flying saucer this weekend and gave it a whirl - it was working great! Got rid of half his shield and easily took out the storm troopers. Then the other players decided they didn't like a flying saucer - even though I wasn't shooting at real people! - and took me down. Frustrating. I'm not sure I could have taken him all the way down before the storm caught up with me, but I think it's a useful strategy as long as the saucers are in the game.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:40 am
I just got to this point as well. I tried 2x on my own with the same results as you. Then I jumped in a flying saucer this weekend and gave it a whirl - it was working great! Got rid of half his shield and easily took out the storm troopers. Then the other players decided they didn't like a flying saucer - even though I wasn't shooting at real people! - and took me down. Frustrating. I'm not sure I could have taken him all the way down before the storm caught up with me, but I think it's a useful strategy as long as the saucers are in the game.
:?:

Is this new? I haven't seen any flying saucers yet.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:47 am
stessier wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:40 am
:?:

Is this new? I haven't seen any flying saucers yet.
The saucers were from last year I think and then went away. They brought them back this weekend. Not sure how long they are going to be around.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Some guy in one killed me.. I won another round..felt good.

Enlarge Image
stessier

Post by stessier »

Tried taking on Vader again in Solo matches. I figured that if other people were attacking him, they would recognize and welcome any help. (Narrator: They did not recognize nor welcome the help.) Found a guy taking on Vader and started helping with 3 nice head shots so all his shield was gone. The player turned around, saw me, and immediately began attacking. Very annoying. Tried another time again sniping to help out but wasn't fast enough and my "partner" died letting Vader focus on me alone which led to my quick demise. I think a team of 3 could totally do it, but people have to recognize and help! My understanding is everyone who helps gets credit, so it's not like I'm trying to steal a takedown. Frustrating.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I usually just loot the crates at Vaders landing and run like hell. Still almost died once and that led to a player getting me easy. Another time I had to kill his two stormtroopers before I could run away good. Vader always seems to force pull me back from a good distance on my runs but then seems to give up on that.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:34 am Tried taking on Vader again in Solo matches. I figured that if other people were attacking him, they would recognize and welcome any help. (Narrator: They did not recognize nor welcome the help.) Found a guy taking on Vader and started helping with 3 nice head shots so all his shield was gone. The player turned around, saw me, and immediately began attacking. Very annoying. Tried another time again sniping to help out but wasn't fast enough and my "partner" died letting Vader focus on me alone which led to my quick demise. I think a team of 3 could totally do it, but people have to recognize and help! My understanding is everyone who helps gets credit, so it's not like I'm trying to steal a takedown. Frustrating.
Silly stess, trying to be helpful. You let them weaken him, then you take the players down before they kill Vader, then finish Vader off. A well timed boogie bomb helps. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Dont use that boogie bomb close in or you dance too.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:51 pm Dont use that boogie bomb close in or you dance too.
I am well aware. :) Grenades are hazardous too. I landed once and found some grenades but couldn't find a gun before I was attacked. It was in one of the wooden houses - not much left when I was done. The other fun weapon I think they took out was the firework gun. Once you learn how to set effective fires, it was a blast.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Are you guys aware of the Reality Saplings? They basically give you the ability to start pretty much every match with a rare or legendary gun if you and near yours. If you aren't using them, google it. Very handy.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:51 pm Are you guys aware of the Reality Saplings? They basically give you the ability to start pretty much every match with a rare or legendary gun if you and near yours. If you aren't using them, google it. Very handy.
Yeah, I know about them, but I don't want to land in the same spot every time. I'm still new to the game (relatively) and like landing all over the place to see what there is to see.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:19 pm
coopasonic wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:51 pm Are you guys aware of the Reality Saplings? They basically give you the ability to start pretty much every match with a rare or legendary gun if you and near yours. If you aren't using them, google it. Very handy.
Yeah, I know about them, but I don't want to land in the same spot every time. I'm still new to the game (relatively) and like landing all over the place to see what there is to see.
FWIW you can replant them, and from what I can tell the current status of the tree (e.g., whether it will give rare / very rare / epic / legendary / mythic items) stays the same when it gets replanted. You can find reality saplings in a few different places on the map, which is handy.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never heard of it. Will have to look into it. Sometimes I get the gold Star Wars E-11 blaster at Vaders camps if I want..most times I just land all over different spots learning the maps and whats there and what chests have what kinda stuff in them. I want to try fishing with the rod in those fishy spots but players keep killing me ..leave me alone!!

Also that blue rated saw gun thing..its cool but not sure what its for other than tearing up buildings and players. I use it to get through a wall fast to a chest.

I dont build a thing and those that do throw up a wall as soon as i shoot them somehow annoy me..like fine turtle ya ijit Ill just run along and kill you later....unless I have some boom boom grenades hahahahah. Or a powerful gun. I killed a few players with some gold rated pistol I picked up. Looked like the .223 from Fallout...BAM BAM!

BTW are GOLD weps the best or PURPLE? I got so used to World of Warcrafts color scheme that anything that differs throws me off.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:24 pm
BTW are GOLD weps the best or PURPLE? I got so used to World of Warcrafts color scheme that anything that differs throws me off.
The order (from worst to best) is gray --> green --> blue --> purple --> gold (and legendary / mythic are as far as I can tell two different shades of gold).
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

oh theres 2 GOLD?..Damnit..not seen enough to know.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:24 pm I dont build a thing and those that do throw up a wall as soon as i shoot them somehow annoy me..like fine turtle ya ijit Ill just run along and kill you later....unless I have some boom boom grenades hahahahah. Or a powerful gun. I killed a few players with some gold rated pistol I picked up. Looked like the .223 from Fallout...BAM BAM!
If you aren't going to do any building you should be playing Zero Build Mode.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:23 pm
Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:24 pm I dont build a thing and those that do throw up a wall as soon as i shoot them somehow annoy me..like fine turtle ya ijit Ill just run along and kill you later....unless I have some boom boom grenades hahahahah. Or a powerful gun. I killed a few players with some gold rated pistol I picked up. Looked like the .223 from Fallout...BAM BAM!
If you aren't going to do any building you should be playing Zero Build Mode.
I've been wanting to try that, but beating people who build is very satisfying.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

first..LOL!

second - Didn't know about that mode.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm also going to try using the ripsaw launcher for that (the blue saw thing that Daehawk mentioned). I figure once they throw up a wall, you just fire a saw at it, switch back to your main weapon, and then be ready to blast them as soon as the saw takes down the wall that they're behind.
Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

YEEEeeeeeep
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Those shield kegs you find and throw down on the ground and they fountain out shield liquid you stand in to regen your shield....can enemies take advantage of ones you toss down too? So if Im in a fight and run to a hiding spot and toss one down but get found and run out can the enemy then use it?...its why Ive been hesitant to use it in a fight.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yes, anyone that moves into the radius gets the benefit. If it's what ya got it's better than nothing.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ideally you'd use it right before or right after a fight. During would be tough unless you are defending an enclosure.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:41 am Ideally you'd use it right before or right after a fight. During would be tough unless you are defending an enclosure.
Yeah I usually love to carry a shield keg around with me, but most of the time it's for post-fight healing. I had a match the other day where I was carrying around a keg plus med mist. I got into a fight that knocked me down to 11 health, then used the keg and mist and was back to 100 / 100 in less than a minute.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I had a fun encounter over the weekend. From playing Duos and Trios, I knew that the passengers could lean out the windows of vehicles to shoot. I did not know it could be done in Solo.

So I was in the top 10 and was hiding in a bush. A truck drove by and I popped out to take some shots at it. The driver quickly leaned out the window and started shooting back. This surprised me and there was nowhere to hide. The car was slowing down and the driver was still shooting, so I did the only thing I could think of - I ran up and jumped in the driver seat. I wasn't sure what I could do - was thinking maybe drive it off a cliff or something, but at least I wasn't getting shot at. Then I noticed the vehicle health was almost gone and the gas was on Empty and beeping. My enemy switched to the bed of the pickup truck and just sat there waiting. We were going by a tree so I tried to jump out behind it, but he shot me before I got the tree between us. It was pretty funny even if a bit frustrating.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sometimes I can have some of the best weapons in the game like golds and purples and have healing spray and a shield keg or something and still lose. Last night that happened and I came in 3rd. Ive had it happen to me in the 20s range. Ive come across some REALLY good players. Most are like me and play at what seems like my skill level. But Ive come across 2 players at different times that were just damn amazing.

Ive been competitively gaming since I was a small kid in the 1970s and these guys wiped the floor with me. And I dont think they were cheating. I dont know the game well yet but it didn't feel like they were cheating. Granted I was running away and not watching them :) Anyways I wasn't mad to die to them I was actually smiling at how good they were.