Tactics Ogre: Reborn coming to Switch

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Tactics Ogre: Reborn coming to Switch

Post by Skinypupy »

It's been rumored for months, but they finally made it official this morning. Tactics Ogre: Reborn coming to Switch on Nov 11.

I have very fond memories of this game from the PS1 and PSP days, and am looking forward to this one.

When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: Tactics Ogre: Reborn coming to Switch

Post by Zaxxon »

You beat me to it. I never played it but have had several people tell me I need to. So I'm in.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Same here! I be always wanted to try this but never got around to it.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Beat me to it too.

I did play play Tactics Ogre on both the PS1 and the GBA but remember very little about it. I think I loved the PS1 version, and the GBA was ok. Precursor to Final Fantasy Tactics I think (though not related)? Any very much into that turn-based tactics style. I'm very much looking forward to this.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

This is out today. I think for both PC and Switch. I'm going to pull the trigger on it this weekend, just need to decide which platform. Anyone pull the trigger?
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Not yet. Still finishing Octopath, and Octopath 2 is coming soon. So I'm planning to do it, but might be awhile. Will be interested in your impressions.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I really enjoyed Knight of Lodis on GBA. Though IIRC beating the final version of the boss would have required near-endless grinding. I also found Person of Lordly Caliber on N64 used in box, but couldn't get into it. Probably worth a pretty penny now.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Torfish wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:20 pm This is out today. I think for both PC and Switch. I'm going to pull the trigger on it this weekend, just need to decide which platform. Anyone pull the trigger?
PS5 as well. I haven’t jumped on it yet but I’m real tempted. Early reviews seem positive
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Picked up on PC. I think I finished both TO on the PS1 and TO:Knights of Lodis on GBA (if my notes are correct) but that was ages ago. Looking forward to starting it soon. Really enjoyed it (way) back in the day.
Torfish

Post by Torfish »

Bought it on the PC and played for about 3 hours. Hooked me in already. I can feel the passion of the developers making this a deep enriched game with all the classes, spells, and items. Story of course to go with it. Old school game play.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I'm getting close to the end of my Triangle Strategy game but when I saw the previews for this I knew it was a day one purchase and of course I bought it for the Switch. There are some things that Triangle Strategy does better but for me it doesn't detract from the game . Just starting out but I'm enjoying it. It's a good time for tactical RPGs (or is it strategic RPGs?) especially with the release of the Front Mission remake at the end of the month. :dance: (bad for the wallet however)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Well, like most of these modern remakes that Square is pumping out, it's slick, and pretty with a solid game underneath. The PC port seems fine. I had a controller glitch when I first booted up the game, but it was something on my end - not the game.

Some things about the game - I remember from way back (Hi Canopus!). When comparing it to something like Triangle Strategy - TO seems very heavy on mechanics and game systems. While Triangle Strategy was very much narrative first, but a streamlined SRPG framework of mechanics underneath. By this, I mean I've been reading and tweaking the units & their spells, skills, equipment and classes as much as advancing the story. Maybe that impression will subside once I am fluent in the quirks of game again.

Regardless- it's still fun, and like Triangle Strategy (and FFT and Disgaea and Fire Emblem...) I can play a map or two and not be stuck playing endlessly for hours. Short attention span (and RL) hit hard these days.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Dang, I was ready to pull the trigger on this one until I read a review that said they took out random encounters and put in level caps so your party would not become OP. What? That's a hard pass for me.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Jaymann wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:58 pm Dang, I was ready to pull the trigger on this one until I read a review that said they took out random encounters and put in level caps so your party would not become OP. What? That's a hard pass for me.
Well, from my understanding, they took out random encounters, but put in training battles. I'm assuming that's a la "Triangle Strategy" with a similar system of grinding XP? I haven't used it yet so I can't say for sure.

And the party level cap isn't bothering me much either. With lower level troops getting extra "catch-up" XP (I forgot the eloquent way it's been described), and with XP charms being created if your party is level capped (to be used later on newer characters of your choosing), it's been easy to keep my guys leveled. We'll see if the party level cap hamstrings me down the line. That artificial level manipulation could end up annoying but it hasn't been in the early stages. I do like overleveling though. :)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I ended up biting on this over the weekend after all. I'm only a few hours in but I'm really happy with what I see so far.

...except the lack of information when buying equipment in the store! Am I missing something here? I want to look at a weapon, see which of my characters can equip it, and see with handy dandy blue up arrows and red down arrows which ways it's better or worse. Do I just need to keep track of things manually, or is there some tool or or information overlay I'm missing?
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Never played anything else in the series, but wow am I enjoying this. Interesting story which avoids the Triangle Strategy pitfall of becoming intrusively time consuming. Battles are very, very engaging. And the between battles strategizing about builds, crafting, equipment, etc. is right up my alley.

wonderpug wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:13 pm except the lack of information when buying equipment in the store! Am I missing something here? I want to look at a weapon, see which of my characters can equip it, and see with handy dandy blue up arrows and red down arrows which ways it's better or worse. Do I just need to keep track of things manually, or is there some tool or or information overlay I'm missing?
Yeah, various bits of information are available but not easily pulled together. No way to see at a glance just what is to be gained from upgrading a piece of equipment, as opposed to making it a +1 -- really just have to jot down the info.

But there is a page tab for each item showing what classes can use the item.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I agree that the shop +/- information isn't very helpful. Annoying.

I'm 15 hours into the game, and just entered Chapter 2. Regarding the difficulty/level cap situation - I'm not sure where I stand at the minute. There were a couple battles that are particularly tough. I had to train some troops up to the cap to substitute for some ill-suited characters. And the forum/discussion boards seem to think item use & debuffs are the secret to success. Granted that's not my usual "go-to" strategy so I might need to incorporate that more. However - just as some battles were tough, others were a cakewalk. So I'm not sure if this will just be an annoyance all game, or if it will just be an occasional challenge to overcome.

Regarding the plot and the branching stories/endings - I obviously don't remember the narrative from playing it years ago. Usually, (like in Triangle Story and I think Fire Emblem and other games) I'll make decisions with the end in mind. But the first real choice in this game was one I was absolutely set on making regardless of the consequences on the ending. And I was surprised on the path it set me too. I guess for once, I'm playing one of these making the story decisions I want to have happen. I can go for a different or "better" ending if I still feel like playing more after beating this.

Lastly - am I the only one who finds the recruiting system useless? I've yet to be successful, and honestly don't need more of the generic troops at this point. Maybe recruiting monsters or beasts later might be worthwhile? Feel like I'm missing the value in this part of the game.
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Baroquen wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:50 pm Lastly - am I the only one who finds the recruiting system useless? I've yet to be successful, and honestly don't need more of the generic troops at this point. Maybe recruiting monsters or beasts later might be worthwhile? Feel like I'm missing the value in this part of the game.
I've been playing this nonstop, and for me, recruiting is an essential piece. Many times, dragons or gryphons or flying humans are the best answer to a problem, and you only get them through recruiting. The lizards are also excellent -- hoplites and juggernauts. Again, recruiting is required.

Not sure at what point you ran into frustration, but I'll just list what I know starting with the basics.
* You need the right unit to recruit the given target. Wizards, for example, have Coax for recruiting lizards. Knights and Valkyries can recruit humans. Beast tamers can recruit dragons and beasts. And so on.
* The odds of succeeding go up as the target's HP fall low, best under 10%. The odds also go up if your unit is adjacent to the target.
* It's best not to try to recruit until those conditions are ideal or close to it. There's a bit of a penalty to your chances if you have already tried tor recruit that target.
* Bosses cannot be recruited.
* When you use the recruitment skill and click on the target, you can see your odds of success. A red X indicates an invalid target. A blue circle indicates a valid target, even if the current odds are extremely low.
* The opportunity cost of trying to recruit is low. You can use the skill, and, if you fail, your unit still has its action remaining and can kill the unit, if it poses a serious threat left alive.

I cannot imagine playing this game without recruitment. When I scout a battle, that's one of the main things I am looking for is units I would like to acquire.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, I had read up some on recruiting but still hadn't had much success when I posted that. Now - I've read more, I've unlocked that first dungeon (Phorampa Wildwood), and have successfully recruited my first few additions: A gryphon and two different dragons. It's still not easy, and I'll try to finish off all but one of the other troops first (or put them to sleep), but I've figured out the 'how'.

With one of my dragons, I had him down to 1 hitpoint, with only a 30% chance or recruiting. Took a few turns, but it finally joined us.

I'm about 25 hrs in, and am about halfway through chapter 2. While I've the union level cap, it usually isn't too long before that gets raised and my units can keep leveling up. In the meantime, I add in my underleveled units to raise them up to cap, or focus on skills/spells/crafting. When the level cap lifted most recently, that's when I decided to run through the Wildwood dungeon. Recruit some dragons and level up for the story missions. So far, it hasn't irritated me. While every once in awhile, there's a tough battle, others are still pretty easy.

Happy with the game. Still progressing in between my other current games in the rotation.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:32 pm especially with the release of the Front Mission remake at the end of the month
wait wut

EDIT: https://frontmissionremake.com/

ohhhhhhhh i hope this is done well
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Update:

I'm now 40 hours into the game, and am entering Chapter 3 of the game. (It's got 4 chapters, multiple routes, and a Coda which may or may not be New Game +, not sure as I've avoided reading much about the endgame).

The worries about the union level cap for characters seems largely overblown. Yes, I can't drastically overlevel my characters and steamroll everything mindlessly (a strategy that I generally enjoy). But it hasn't impacted gameplay negatively for me. Though there is a significant difference in power between characters and enemies who are a couple of levels apart. So it's sometimes very valuable to level up and hit that cap - but it's been easy to do. The training missions (or dungeons like Phorampa Wildwood) are easy to run, and really aren't much of a grind to beef up the company.

In fact, the only difficulty I've had thus far was at the end of my Chapter 2 (Chaos) where [semi-spoiler]:
Spoiler:
I had a one-on-one mission and my character got stomped. With some easy strategic changes, (bumped him up 2 levels, changed weapons, and re-configured skills and items) I managed to clear it on my second try.
The story is still somewhat confusing for me even though I've run it before. I was much more intrigued by the story of Triangle Story than this one. The characters here are interesting, but the politics and factions are a mess IMO. I feel like I needed to grind more in TS than here. I'll see if that holds as I continue to progress. Onward through chapter 3...
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Update the Second:

I'm now 88 hours into the game. Finished Chapter 3 with a few difficult battles, and now digging into Chapter 4. I had really stalled out with this game until recently. I was running Phorampa Wildwood, which is a grindable/repeatable dungeon and it was boring. A couple days ago, I decided to just quit out of it, since there was no reward for finishing it (other than recruiting possibilities and rare crafting materials, neither of which interested me).

With that decision made, the next task on my list was recruiting one of the toughest-to-earn characters in the game: Cressida the Necromancer. Three optional missions only available on the Chaos route (which I happened to be on) with the final battle causing much internet whining about the difficulty involved. And then, even if you clear the missions, she won't join you if you haven't gotten an in-game loyalty score (Chaos Frame) high enough. So you need to address that first with an arcane grinding task.

In any event, I found a neat trick for the loyalty grind and knocked that out quickly. Then, was able to one-shot all three missions. I've really found that using dragons/griffons as tanks, and stocking up on full-heal potions evens the playing field immensely. (The most nervous I got during the final battle was when a RL storm came through, and I was hoping the wind didn't blip power and wipe out my progress). So now I have a necromancer to play around with.

Anyway, I've got two main choices now I think. I can knock out the rest of the main plot/game and then just mess around replaying alternate parts of the story in the post-game. Or I could putter around with the other optional content now before finishing. Either way, I'm thinking the end is approaching.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It's the last day of the Steam sale ($29.99) and I need something to tide me over for 3 weeks until BG3 comes out so I took the plunge. I figure that with following a guide I should be able to handle it. I did finish Triangle Strategy after all.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Jaymann wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:20 pm It's the last day of the Steam sale ($29.99) and I need something to tide me over for 3 weeks until BG3 comes out so I took the plunge. I figure that with following a guide I should be able to handle it. I did finish Triangle Strategy after all.
I'm almost at the end of the game, though I'm taking time to do side-quest/content to strengthen my group even more. I know you were unhappy with the level cap for your troops. Here's my advice:

* There are some tough battles in Chapter 3 (maybe end of Chapter 2?), but things get easier after that. Your troops get better weapon skills and spells and finishers so your options open up. So if you can get past the mid game hump, it becomes easier later.

* Shops sell full healing potions. I don't know if they sold them always, or if that became unlocked/offered mid-game. But those things are lifesavers. When a character falls, and another character uses a resurrection stone on him, the defeated troop immediately gets a turn. If he downs one of the full-health potion, he's back at full strength. Game changer.

* I wasn't a big creature fan - dragons, gryphons, cockatrice, octopus, etc. Now they make up almost a third of my end-game battle group. They all make great tanks, but the dragons can create pathing bottlenecks with their special ability. The flying creatures, can get back the enemy tanks and beat up on spellcasters/healers in the back (or above in some maps). They're awesome.

* With the union level cap, just a level or two can make a big difference. I'd be rolling along mid-game and then hit a wall. Capping my a-team even if it was just an extra level or so made a big difference.

* I couldn't imagine playing this again without a guide. Just be careful not to get outdated information for the old versions of the game. Most of it's the same, but enough is different to warrant looking for new sources of info. I've been using Neoseeker's guide and TheGamer.com's guide. And a healthy dose of gamefaq.com and reddit google searches along the way.

I'm unlocking some late game shrines for an advanced class (Shaman) and equipment or spells or something. Then, I'm making a partial run through the Palace of the Dead dungeon to get some Summoning spells that supposedly are awesome. And then, I'm tackling the final dungeon of the game. At that point, there are some Coda scenarios, and the World re-wind mechanic where I can go back and do branching storylines I didn't initially choose. I'm expecting Jagged Alliance 3 to take away some of my strategy RPG playtime soon though.

Hope you get some enjoyment out of it. Good luck!
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I am enjoying it so far, having only done the tutorial and a couple training missions. If they are going to have a level cap then I am going to by god keep all of my troops at the cap.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Why does it keep saying I gained a finishing move, but when I go to my character sheets there are none available?

Edit: I think I figured it out. The screen is titled SKILLS FINISHING MOVES. I'm only getting skills at this point.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Sounds about right. Finishing skills come with every 10 levels of weapon skills. The class based skills come along more frequently according to character level.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I finished Act 1 and went the Lawful route, although it seemed anything but lawful to me. But I wanted to recruit Ravness. :?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I finally got Ravness in my party, that was one convoluted, non-intuitive path. I can't imagine stumbling across the proper steps without a guide.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Yeah, I'm sure there's so much I missed when I played this years ago. So many characters to recruit and optional dungeons and all.

I don't know about Ravness, because I followed the Chaos route (as the choice felt better to me). But the process to get Cressida was pretty crazy too. I would have never figured it out on my own.

I'm still plugging through the Shrines quest at the end of Chapter 4. I thought I had six maps left to get through, and instead it's 30 I think. Though many them are smaller than normal so that's helpful. I think I have 20-some left.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

After approx. 184 hours - my run-through is complete. That includes a Chaos/Princess run and every character I could recruit on that route (including Deneb, Cressida, Gnapp and all the other sisters). Didn't run all the optional dungeons, but did a full Palace of the Dead run through Nybeth, as well as all of the shrines.

Overall, the level caps weren't overall a big deal. Late game, the cap was level 40 facing level 45 enemies, and the spells/skills/abilities/items made it easier than the midgame. Even the final boss wasn't as difficult as some of the chapter 3 chapters. Finding strategies that work (debuffs, item use, creature tanks, or whatever) were all game-changers and different than how I usually play these games.

Now - I have three options:

1) "Coda" chapters - there are three, I believe. I'll most probably tackle these as long as they're not insanely difficult.
2) World Tarot - the "rewinding" of the game, allowing for the exploration of unchosen paths. I have to read up on this, because it's confusing.
3) Shelving it completely - This probably isn't happening yet, though I'll be cutting back and probably starting a new SRPG (Another Disagea or the newest Fire Emblem?).

Very much enjoyed it - though the plot never did improve. I even found the character epilogues lackluster. Now I've got more time for Trails in the Sky SC!
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Last post about this game:

After 266.5 hours, I didn't officially finish everything but I'm done with the game. Things I did complete:
  • A run-through on all three story routes - Law/Neutral/Chaos
  • Recruited every available character in the game
  • 34/34 Achievements
  • Two runs of Palace of the Dead
  • Unlocked all Shrines
  • Mostly complete run of the San Bronsa Ruins (a -tough- optional dungeon)
  • Coda Chapters 1-3, and all but the last two battles in the final Chapter 4
So I could probably have beaten the next to last battle, as I only had to Vanquish one of the two bosses on the map. While slightly outnumbered, I probably could have figured out a way. However, the final battle has 6-7 bosses + underlings. All enemies in the final Coda 4 maps are level 70+ compared to your capped level 50 characters. And enemies now have access to (and actively use) the full healing potions that I had been abusing for the second half of the game. To top that all off - the ultimate feat in this game is to complete this final battle with only the three main protagonists. It's doable - I've seen it done.

But to comfortably complete the last two battles would require hours of grinding to min/max my good guys. And while I don't begrudge the game ending on a very difficult note - I'm not going to spend that much time just to watch a short cut-scene. (I'm going to watch it on YouTube). The grind would require re-running content, possibly multiple times, and dealing with the small % drop rates for the uber-items. Plus - multiple copies of these relics should be fused to power them up and level the playing field for the endgame. And I get it. It's an old-school challenge to 'break the system' and achieve that final victory. But I'm just too old for that kind of thing. (Though to be fair - when I made my previous post, I didn't think I was going to continue on with much of the post game at all, and put another 70-80 hours into it).

So I love, love, loved this game and glad I bought it (full price I think), despite the mediocre story. I think I like it more than FFT as I remember that one getting annoying at times.

Next up - I'm still on Trails SC as my RPG. I'm still playing MLB the Show. I dabbled with Disgaea 4. I bought and tried Mercenaries Saga as a similar style game (and I liked it). I also tinkered with Symphony of War - The Nephilim Saga and Vestaria Saga I (which was made by one of the original Fire Emblem designers but is very rough in translation). And I re-installed Shiren the Wanderer for some rogue-like dungeon running.

Despite all the experimenting, I think the next strategy game I'm going to play is Brigandine. Not the new one (that was just on sale on Steam) but the original PSX one - The Legend of Forsena. It got better reviews, but I just need to get my emulator up and running again. That's tonight's task. If it all crashes and burns, I probably drop back and play Mercenaries Saga (or Marvel: Midnight Suns. Forgot about that one!)

Good bye TO:R! It's been fun!