The Finding Obscure Things thread!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: The Finding Obscure Things thread!

Post by Blackhawk »

And I found something similar on that store you just linked. Only $6 each - which is great. And $21 in shipping, which brings higher than the Amazon option.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Those are beer growlers. Do you have any micro-breweries nearby? You can usually get them + a fill for <$15.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's what a 'growler' is? I always thought people were referring to a large mug of some sort. Huh. No microbreweries that I know of, but I do know of at least one store in Terre Haute that sells brewing supplies. I'll stop by next time we go grocery shopping. Thanks.

That's why this thread exists - obscure things in one context are common in another. All you need is somebody familiar with them to point you in the right direction. And yeah, I do use it more than most. I'm guessing that it's because people without money spend a lot more time improvising solutions when other people would just drop cash.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

These ones on Amazon are ~$7 each with free shipping if you have Prime:

https://www.amazon.com/True-Fabrication ... B00PR826SY

Edit: You do have to buy 2, but you wanted that anyway. Also, currently on sale for ~25% off.
Last edited by TheMix on Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Also, I had no idea that's what a growler was either.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

I mean, that's what we call them in my part of America. I'm assuming it's the same everywhere because beer is universal. Fancy growlers can be insulated (like a giant thermos) but the glass ones are common and cheap - great for just grabbing beer on the go. You can find them in 32 and 64 oz sizes. For beer, they'll be brown; I don't think I've ever seen a clear one but I guess if you're selling cider or hard seltzer maybe they might have them.

EDIT: I just realized, I didn't mention bombers. Those are like ~21 oz bottles.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

They're growlers in my neck of the woods, too. (Although some places have replaced them with "crowlers", which are 32 oz. cans that they fill and seal on site and to order.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
malchior

Post by malchior »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:23 pm They're growlers in my neck of the woods, too. (Although some places have replaced them with "crowlers", which are 32 oz. cans that they fill and seal on site and to order.)
Yeah I have some ownership in a microbrew and those are becoming popular. The problem with growlers is that they only keep beer for a week or so. It's sort of like an opened soda bottle.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yeah, those are growlers.. I just recycled 4 last month, crap.

Restaurant supply places probably have them for under $5 each if you buy a case (6 bottles).
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

A half-growler is a grumbler. I just learned that.

During the isolation phase of the pandemic, when I couldn't get draft beer, Wife bought me a generic growler. In Mass., brewers are forbidden from filling any growler that doesn't have their logo on it and bars can't fill them at all. The state suspended those rules when bars and restaurants were shuttered. Unfortunately, Wife isn't a beer drinker and bought me a clear glass growler, which is just wrong; light isn't good for beer. The old rules went back into force a year or so ago. So now I own a never-used clear glass growler, plus a brown one that's unfillable because it has the logo of a brewery that went toes-up. :P

PM me if you'd like me to ship them to you. Prolly cost around $20 to mail so you can probably do better elsewhere. Also, there was a cap shortage when growlers suddenly became popular during the rules suspension, and I'm not 100% sure that they both have proper-fitting caps. But if you want them I'll excavate them from the bowels of the pantry and check their caps for fit.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

You can probably use those as chamber pots once the apocalypse happens, no? At least for one function.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

To me, this is a growler. I used to have a sound clip I used for text messages. :mrgreen:

Enlarge Image
Stop funding for NPR
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:04 pm PM me if you'd like me to ship them to you. Prolly cost around $20 to mail so you can probably do better elsewhere. Also, there was a cap shortage when growlers suddenly became popular during the rules suspension, and I'm not 100% sure that they both have proper-fitting caps. But if you want them I'll excavate them from the bowels of the pantry and check their caps for fit.
Nah, I appreciate it, but that's the price that made me look for better to begin with. Mix's link is the equivalent of the retail options I've seen, so I went with that. Clear is probably better for my needs anyway, as it'll let me check for cloudiness - beyond what the vinegar already provides (it's unfiltered apple cider vinegar with the mother.)
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I know I am a day late, but Quart jars. The mason style ones for canning. Are available basically everywhere, have screw top lids, and are much easier to clear than those beer growlers. You would just need two of them per half gallon instead of one.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rectangular grated walkways for miniature scale terrain. There's something cheap out there that will replicate it, but I'm not sure what it is. It'll likely come in the form of sheets/cloth. It should be moderately stiff. This stuff:

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

Some things that are close, to give an idea of what I need, but don't get the cigar: Window screen (it's the right scale, but the wrong shape - I'm looking for slightly larger rectangular holes.) Plastic canvas (same problem - it's squares, and generally too thick/heavy.) I know of one thing that might do the job - older, smaller Koolshade microlouvre screen - but it's expensive and hard to find.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

You might be able to stretch drywall tape a little bit.
Enlarge Image
Stop funding for NPR
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:04 pm A half-growler is a grumbler. I just learned that.

During the isolation phase of the pandemic, when I couldn't get draft beer, Wife bought me a generic growler. In Mass., brewers are forbidden from filling any growler that doesn't have their logo on it and bars can't fill them at all. The state suspended those rules when bars and restaurants were shuttered. Unfortunately, Wife isn't a beer drinker and bought me a clear glass growler, which is just wrong; light isn't good for beer. The old rules went back into force a year or so ago. So now I own a never-used clear glass growler, plus a brown one that's unfillable because it has the logo of a brewery that went toes-up. :P

PM me if you'd like me to ship them to you. Prolly cost around $20 to mail so you can probably do better elsewhere. Also, there was a cap shortage when growlers suddenly became popular during the rules suspension, and I'm not 100% sure that they both have proper-fitting caps. But if you want them I'll excavate them from the bowels of the pantry and check their caps for fit.
Perfect for anyone running a "guess how many jellybeans are in the jar" contest.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Anyone need miniature bears?

Image Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hey, let's make a toy that looks exactly like well-known candy and fails the 'choking hazard' test!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:04 pm A half-growler is a grumbler. I just learned that.

OMG. You and your bowels!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

:lol: