Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by hepcat »

What game are you folks discussing?
Covfefe!
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I went through the effort of making a detailed review of why I like and dislike Euthia. Feel free to check it out :ninja: .
Spoiler:
Euthia - A Detailed Review of What I Like And Dislike
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:50 pm What game are you folks discussing?
Perfect top of page post for a megathread. :D
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

ugh...megathreads
Covfefe!
yohnishi

Post by yohnishi »

Thanks Ezekiel.

Yeah.. I guess it would go "unmodifiable" instead of "unmodified".

Another question: how does "Rhamsted Knight's Shield" work?
It reads "FU: PUSH, FORCE 8 + DIFFERENCE HIT. You may make a Break Attack as a result of this Push."

Does it mean I hit, Push (from FU), BreakAttack, hit, Push, BreakAttack... loop it until I miss the hit?
yohnishi

Post by yohnishi »

My questions are about Middara.
yohnishi

Post by yohnishi »

yohnishi wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:36 pm Thanks Ezekiel.

Yeah.. I guess it would go "unmodifiable" instead of "unmodified".

Another question: how does "Rhamsted Knight's Shield" work?
It reads "FU: PUSH, FORCE 8 + DIFFERENCE HIT. You may make a Break Attack as a result of this Push."

Does it mean I hit, Push (from FU), BreakAttack, hit, Push, BreakAttack... loop it until I miss the hit?
Nevermind... Now I realized after I push the target the first time I can breakattack it, but it will be out of reach afterwards.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

yohnishi wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:39 pm
My questions are about Middara.
D’oh, one of my favorites too. How could I have forgotten? :oops:
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The Game Master Screen by Wyrmwood
The Game Master Screen system features two different panels: the Standard Panel and the Display Panel. These can be organized and connected however you like, with as many panels as you need. Both variants feature heirloom quality, solid wood construction, and magnets for increased functionality throughout.

But… where are the magnets? We’ve learned some new tricks over the past few years. The magnets here are actually hidden inside the wood, holding the panels together, with nothing visible but beautiful solid wood. No ball bearings, no jarring visual disruption in the design, no headaches figuring out the right polarity, just an easy, intuitive screen that will look and work great - however you choose to use it!
Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Woot, just got the Quartermaster Logistics email to confirm my address for the Etherfields wave 2 shipping. I'm excited for this one both to paint and to play. The theme intrigues me and the miniatures are strange but beautiful.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Me too! I'm really looking forward to trying this again with updated rules and whatever else is coming. I was expecting to get shipping notification for V-Commandos, not Etherfields but I'll take it. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Me three!

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'd be more excited if Malificent was going to paint my minis too... :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

TheMix wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:00 pm I'd be more excited if Malificent was going to paint my minis too... :D
Thank you for the compliment, but alas, my gray pile of shame (before Etherfields) is still mildly large:
  • Bardsung
  • Half of Marvel United: X-Men
  • Arena: The Contest (I'm waiting on the wave with the co-op portion)
  • Stars of Akarios
  • Oathsworn
That's only a few hundred minis. [sarcasm]Thank goodness I don't have more games coming![/sarcasm]

Oathsworn is actually going to provide an interesting challenge. It's a boss battler at its core and all the boss monsters are in secret boxes. If I open in advance to paint, I'm spoiling myself. Do I wait until we get to boss battles, then pause the game until next week while I get the mini painted?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I haven't painted anything. Ever. So I suspect my pile of shame is a bit larger. I keep telling myself "something to do when I retire". :D

I can't remember, but if they offered it, I probably shelled out for their simple paint jobs. So they should, at least, look better than most of the rest of my collection.

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

V-Commandos in limbo:
The email address verification campaign has been postponed; the start date of the shipments remains to be defined.
I *think* everything is at QML and they're just backed up.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

<grumble grumble grumble>. :x
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

Yeah, I jsut got hit for like 70 bucks in shipping for a game that I think was around 150 bucks with all the add on's. I really think I am out of the kickstarter market until shipping is less than 1/2 of the cost of the game.

Ah well, it is what it is, and at least I am going to get it, unlike others have experienced.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm in the same camp, to be honest. I also truly believe some companies are using the shipping issues from a while back to jack their prices. But that may just be a biased perception in light of all the crap I'm seeing.

In other news, my Dungeon Universalis arrived while I was at Gencon. Good lord is that a heavy box. :shock:

Thankfully, it looks like everything arrived safe and sound. I've read too many horror stories about how the shoddy packaging by Funagain has resulted in people getting damaged copies.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

By the way, folks. Dead Reckoning's second kickstarter is launching today in a few hours.

I got this earlier this year and it was honestly my biggest surprise in a while. It's an absolute blast to play. It plays well with 1 to 4 players (probably best with 3 if doing multiplayer, but I don't think 4 would be that bad in terms of downtime). The solo mode is fun and includes a pretty decent AI.

I'm not sure how available the game is in retail right now. So if you can get it cheaper online from a store, go for it. This is AEG. They're using kickstarter as a pre order system, which I'm not a fan of. But if it is hard to find/the savings are there, I can't recommend this game enough.

I also recommend getting the small box expansions as they add a legacy like story that you can always include in all future games after you've "discovered" them. It gives a fun narrative component to an already fun game.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:14 pm <grumble grumble grumble>. :x
Buried in the comments from yesterday (for V-Commandos):
The email address verification campaign will take place between August 12th and 14th. The email will be sent by Quarter Master Logistics / Triton Noir to the email address you used on Kickstarter / Gamefound - check your spams if needed. Be sure to check your shipping address: If you need to update it, follow the process in the email no later that August 14th.
So I guess in theory starting to mail the week of the 15th?
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:05 am By the way, folks. Dead Reckoning's second kickstarter is launching today in a few hours.

I got this earlier this year and it was honestly my biggest surprise in a while. It's an absolute blast to play. It plays well with 1 to 4 players (probably best with 3 if doing multiplayer, but I don't think 4 would be that bad in terms of downtime). The solo mode is fun and includes a pretty decent AI.

I'm not sure how available the game is in retail right now. So if you can get it cheaper online from a store, go for it. This is AEG. They're using kickstarter as a pre order system, which I'm not a fan of. But if it is hard to find/the savings are there, I can't recommend this game enough.

I also recommend getting the small box expansions as they add a legacy like story that you can always include in all future games after you've "discovered" them. It gives a fun narrative component to an already fun game.
I also bought this, and have played it once with 4, and there is some downtime, but you get to say Grr... I'm a pirate, whenever you want too. And the game play is enjoyable. :)

It was fairly easy to learn, and the set-up wasn't bad at all.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The only thing that confused us at first is how they define "harbor". Eventually we realized that it ONLY pertains to your home harbor and NOT docks on islands you own. So essentially, the only time you get cargo or cash at your island docks is when you produce on that island, or you drop off cargo or coins at your island dock. Also, coins go straight to your hidden pirate chest when dropped off at your harbor.

I really do love this game. Even the card crafting mechanic feels essential and doesn't come across as a gimmick.
Covfefe!
RMC

Post by RMC »

hepcat wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:28 am The only thing that confused us at first is how they define "harbor". Eventually we realized that it ONLY pertains to your home harbor and NOT docks on islands you own. So essentially, the only time you get cargo or cash at your island docks is when you produce on that island, or you drop off cargo or coins at your island dock. Also, coins go straight to your hidden pirate chest when dropped off at your harbor.

I really do love this game. Even the card crafting mechanic feels essential and doesn't come across as a gimmick.
They have some rule changes on the kickstarter page, not sure when they will be official. But they address some things.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, I'm reading them now from the email. Mostly just clarifying stuff. Nothing huge so far.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

For those of you who also backed Dungeon Universalis, but did not add the bestiary cards to your pledge, I have the answer. Someone created a a web app that does about the same thing as the cards.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:16 am
hepcat wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:14 pm <grumble grumble grumble>. :x
Buried in the comments from yesterday (for V-Commandos):
The email address verification campaign will take place between August 12th and 14th. The email will be sent by Quarter Master Logistics / Triton Noir to the email address you used on Kickstarter / Gamefound - check your spams if needed. Be sure to check your shipping address: If you need to update it, follow the process in the email no later that August 14th.
So I guess in theory starting to mail the week of the 15th?
Just got the address verification email today so I assume things are going to be happening soon! Really looking forward to this and because I didn't opt for miniatures I can just get to playing it without the added pressure of having to paint stuff.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoo hoo, just got my email address verification for V-Comma...I mean V-Sabotage this morning!

I also opted out of the minis. To be honest, I don't think the game lends itself to that in any meaningful manner. I prefer the simple but elegant mechanic of just flipping the tokens to display what's seen or stealthed.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I went all-in like a clown and am now wondering what I'm going to do with it all. :(
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:15 pm Whoo hoo, just got my email address verification for V-Comma...I mean V-Sabotage this morning!

I also opted out of the minis. To be honest, I don't think the game lends itself to that in any meaningful manner. I prefer the simple but elegant mechanic of just flipping the tokens to display what's seen or stealthed.
Their tokens are well made and had nice art so I figured why mess with a good thing? And if you did use minis how did they implement tracking stealth? Is there a smaller token that will travel along with the mini?

That said I wish all the best to Smoove and I'm sure he'll have some really nice miniatures to paint and push around the board! :)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

$iljanus wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:22 am Their tokens are well made and had nice art so I figured why mess with a good thing? And if you did use minis how did they implement tracking stealth? Is there a smaller token that will travel along with the mini?
From what I read, you put a plastic ring around the base of the minis that are out of stealth. I prefer the tokens, but I think it will be fun with the minis as well. It's just a solid game all around.
Covfefe!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

hepcat wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:32 am
$iljanus wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:22 am Their tokens are well made and had nice art so I figured why mess with a good thing? And if you did use minis how did they implement tracking stealth? Is there a smaller token that will travel along with the mini?
From what I read, you put a plastic ring around the base of the minis that are out of stealth. I prefer the tokens, but I think it will be fun with the minis as well. It's just a solid game all around.
Oh that's not bad at all since the space won't be crowded by all sorts of markers. And as you say, it is quite the solid game with good fundimental gameplay. And I really like the graphic design so all sorts of gaming boxes are checked off for me!
Black lives matter!

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Etherfield stretch goals arrived, along with the two expansions I'd ordered. I took a chance and decided to get the Sundrop versions (Funeral Witch; Sphinx) and the factory painted miniatures look amazing.

Now I just need to recreate that on the wave one minis I own, but I'm really excited to try this again with the 2.0 rules and materials.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I got my copy of Etherfields yesterday. I opted for 1 wave shipping as I didn't catch that option when the pledge manager was opened. But no biggie. I think I like getting everything at once in these instances.

I opened it yesterday, but haven't even started looking it over. I'm still a bit fascinated with Dungeon Universalis. DS is a REALLY deep dungeon crawl system, I'm learning. :wub:

We should have an online game of DS someday as the online app is fantastic for that. Right now I'm using it to create my initial party for the campaign.
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

After the world's least communicative campaign, The Transcontinental finally showed up on my doorstep. Beautiful production, now I just need to re-learn how to play it.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Etherfields showed up. I opened it up enough to look at the beautiful miniatures. Though considering how big some are, that may be a misnomer. :D

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Regarding V-Commandos/Sabotage, shared earlier today:
USA/Canada Update: We had some news from QML today. Their warehouse is very congested currently and a significant portion of the crew called in sick today. They cannot give an ETA for now, but they hope to have better news later this week. Sorry about this delay. We are confident in their efficiency and we know they are doing their best to resolve this situation ASAP.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I follow QML on Twitter and I kinda figured something was up. I get the impression they are cycling between bust and boom - that nothing is quite working right. Delays in shipping and then delays at the port are slowing incoming projects and then when they finally get stuff in it all happens at once...and then they have staffing issues.

EDIT: I also totally forgot that the newest HexploreIT KS is being handled by FunAgain. They've had it since 8/15 or so, meaning I should see it by November.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:00 pm EDIT: I also totally forgot that the newest HexploreIT KS is being handled by FunAgain. They've had it since 8/15 or so, meaning I should see it by November.
I thought it was QML. Their last update says that the shipment is in Indianapolis and I am pretty sure that Funagain is on the West Coast and QML is in Indy.