Desktop Dungeons

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

LordGek

Re: Desktop Dungeons

Post by LordGek »

tgb wrote:Picked this up on Steam Friday night and I'm really enjoying it. I like that in order to succeed in the dungeons you have to play completely differently than your standard rogue-alike.
And how a Roguelike can both be randomized and have all encounters pre-scripted based on the compared values.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Seeing a lot of people biting on the 50% off sale. What's the verdict?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote:Seeing a lot of people biting on the 50% off sale. What's the verdict?
Played an early version when it was free. It was a big hit here. I enjoyed it. That said, I'm not paying 7 bucks for it. I'm not sure what they've added beyond polish/graphics, so I don't know that it has anything more to offer me.

It's a good game, and definitely worth some cash. 7 bucks is too much for me, but I'm really, really cheap these days. If a good timewaster with fun mechanics and unlockable classes is something that is worth 7 bucks to you, then go for it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, I'm right there with you. For rogue-likes it needs to be really damn good and $15 seemed outrageous. $7.50 -- while a deal -- still seemed too much for a game I'm apparently supposed to play in 10 minute sittings. It looks good, but I'm not sure about $7.50 good. I'm also trying to talk myself out of increasing my trending-downward immense backlog. :)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, while the game mechanics are somewhat rogue-like it's really more of a puzzle (that gives the wrong impression, but it sort of applies) game with random elements and tactics specific to the class you're playing and the randomized layout of the dungeon (which consists of 1 floor. It's more like a board game in that respect).

Games last about 10-20 minutes if I remember correctly, so you can play longer than 10 minutes, but chances are you'll be starting multiple new games.

It's a good game. If you look through the thread you can see that myself and others were actively playing and discussing our progress, which is usually a good sign for any game.

I think I'll put it on my wishlist if it's not already. Perhaps the summer sale will drop it below 5 bucks. I could see me picking it up around that price point. Lower is always better, though. :wink:

edit: turns out it was already on my wishlist. I don't just put everything I see on my wishlist, so it's somewhat noteworthy that it's on there already.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I think I got 7 bucks out of it just for the tutorial. I think there's a free smartphone/tablet game called dungeon acendancy that is very similiar. Desktop Dungeons is extremely similiar gameplay but with lots more polish and more options at the strategic level (unlocking classes, allowing you to buy some equipment, etc).

I'll get 10 hours out of it easy.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote:No, I'm right there with you. For rogue-likes it needs to be really damn good and $15 seemed outrageous. $7.50 -- while a deal -- still seemed too much for a game I'm apparently supposed to play in 10 minute sittings. It looks good, but I'm not sure about $7.50 good. I'm also trying to talk myself out of increasing my trending-downward immense backlog. :)
hell, I'd likely get $7.50 dollars of entertainment listening to you post about the game.
maybe I'll gift it. :twisted:
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I have been waiting for this to go on sale for awhile and I bought. So far it's pretty fun, but I haven't played very much. We'll see how I like it after I've played a bit.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

This game is so hard! I unlocked the bank pretty easily and opened up some new quests but I haven't had any luck beating any of them. Most of the time I can't even get to lvl 9 before I run out of options.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Dramatist wrote:This game is so hard! I unlocked the bank pretty easily and opened up some new quests but I haven't had any luck beating any of them. Most of the time I can't even get to lvl 9 before I run out of options.
You can beat a lot of the bosses at level 8 and level 9 with judicious use of spells and potions. The knock back works really well.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So...I guess I'm not playing this game right? I had thought my goal was to clear the dungeon and then fight the boss, but apparently that's not always the case. Or maybe put a bit better, I've noticed if I go and fight monsters in sequential order (matching my level to theirs), typically I'm not ready for the boss fight.

I have no idea how I've played four hours so far, but I'm really enjoying it, in particular the character artwork. I have all the basic (?) classes unlocked but I can't beat the Banker or whatever the other boss is in the starting area so I just keep doing random dungeons (which I still find entertaining).

Great game so far. Perfect for short stints.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Smoove_B wrote:So...I guess I'm not playing this game right? I had thought my goal was to clear the dungeon and then fight the boss, but apparently that's not always the case. Or maybe put a bit better, I've noticed if I go and fight monsters in sequential order (matching my level to theirs), typically I'm not ready for the boss fight.
Guessing you might know this, but you get bonus XP for beating monsters of a higher level than you. And it seems like the game expects you to do this to be ready to beat the boss at the end. So I try to take advantage of "matchups" (like priests vs. undead, etc.) to knock out higher level mobs and usually that gets me to a point where I can tackle the boss.

Or the other angle might be the rogue-like random nature of the game sometimes make for poor matchups with the bosses. Sometimes a run just isn't going to work, and i try the same thing again and I'm in a much better position to win.

Agree that it's a fun game. I should get back to it.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

A large chunk of the game is about "unexplored space management". Every time you uncover a square, you get health and mana back (unfortunately, so do the monsters), so you need to minimize your explorations until you need the healing. Another way to heal up is to level up, so it's sometimes advantageous to leave a couple of monsters on the board and then start fighting the boss. When you run low on health, pop the left over guys to level up, at which point you get another round of whaling on the boss.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, I knew about the boosted XP for killing monsters that are higher level than you are. I was doing great with timing the level-ups to heal myself as well, but it still hasn't been enough to kill those first main bosses.

I'm just realizing the "unexplored space management" issue now (after 4 hours). I had thought I should be running around each level, collecting power ups and potions, but apparently that's not a good idea as it then removes all my unexplored area health and mana boosts. This game is like...minesweeper and solitaire with rogue-like underpinnings.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

So... Desktop Dungeons: Rewind is set for release Q4 2022. A 3D remake for "modern devices". I'm torn... worthwhile update? Or money-grab remake?

There's a trailer and screenshots on the Steam page.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Baroquen wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:08 pm So... Desktop Dungeons: Rewind is set for release Q4 2022. A 3D remake for "modern devices". I'm torn... worthwhile update? Or money-grab remake?

There's a trailer and screenshots on the Steam page.
current promo right now is if you have Desktop Dungeons in your Steam account when DD:Rewind is released next week, you get it for FREE

(and DD is currently on sale for $3.74, so it's a good deal)

email i received:
Esteemed and sagacious Desktop Dungeons Kingdom Administrators!

The hourglass of time is swiftly draining its sands, as the momentous launch of Desktop Dungeons: Rewind fast approaches! With a mere week remaining, we find ourselves compelled to shower our boundless gratitude upon each and every one of you, our steadfast supporters.

As a gesture of our immense gratitude (and perhaps a touch of madness), and to commemorate a decade (a decade!) since the original Steam launch of Desktop Dungeons, we're bestowing upon you an extraordinary surprise. We’re going to be giving away Desktop Dungeons: Rewind for FREE to anyone who owns the original Desktop Dungeons on Steam when the new game releases. Yes, you read that correctly! FREE!

Our cherished community lies at the very heart of our endeavors, and this small token of appreciation is but a humble gesture to convey our thanks for your enduring support. We hope you enjoy this remastered version of the game as much as you've enjoyed your time with Desktop Dungeons in the past!

Please do remember to add Desktop Dungeons: Rewind to your wishlist, as it lends us a much-needed boost. You're also more than welcome to join us on Discord to share the excitement building up to launch.

We eagerly await your presence, along with your comrades, neighbors, spoons, and anyone else within earshot of your fervent exclamations, in the coming week (or suffer the consequences)!

Yours in dungeons and discourse,
- The QCF Team
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

This has been on my wishlist ever since it went pay to play (originally it free) but I never pulled the trigger. At 4 bucks I have no excuse not to pick it up.

However, there is a special edition for ~7 bucks. What's the difference between that and the standard? I can't easily tell, but I'm probably missing something.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:54 am This has been on my wishlist ever since it went pay to play (originally it free) but I never pulled the trigger. At 4 bucks I have no excuse not to pick it up.

However, there is a special edition for ~7 bucks. What's the difference between that and the standard? I can't easily tell, but I'm probably missing something.
The special edition includes the Desktop Dungeons Goatperson DLC, along with the Desktop Dungeons Soundtrack.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks AB.

Bought the SE. Soundtracks aren't my thing but what the hell.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It has come a long way from when it was free. It was good then. I like what I'm seeing now.
infinitelurker

Post by infinitelurker »

I bought this a few days ago after seeing this thread. Enjoying it thus far, and just saw today in Steam that I now have "desktop dungeons rewind" (which was released today) for free? fired it up for a few minutes and it seems like the exact same game with updated graphics, but I could be wrong.
-something witty-
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

infinitelurker wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:06 pm I bought this a few days ago after seeing this thread. Enjoying it thus far, and just saw today in Steam that I now have "desktop dungeons rewind" (which was released today) for free?
as mentioned just a few posts up...
fired it up for a few minutes and it seems like the exact same game with updated graphics, but I could be wrong.
yes, it's also backwards compatible with the save files from the original