Steam Deck console

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hitbyambulance

Re: Steam Deck console

Post by hitbyambulance »

wow, Sega Dreamcast looks like it runs well:

and amazingly, the original Xbox emulator even works:

EDIT: even PlayStation 3 is playable on some titles...

and Xbox 360:

it's already more capable than i thought.
Enough

Post by Enough »

U2K is a happy man lol.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Wondering if anyone has tinkered around to try and get GOG games to run on this?
Saw a couple of tutorials and it doesnt look hard, but would like some opinions.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

stimpy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:49 pm Wondering if anyone has tinkered around to try and get GOG games to run on this?
Saw a couple of tutorials and it doesnt look hard, but would like some opinions.
i do not have a Deck, but i'm familiar with the process of using Wine to run Windows games on Linux that are not on Steam - but it does take some work to set up. the Deck runs on a distro of Linux OS, so we need to install a non-Steam-based version of Wine (which is called Proton, under Steam) to provide the Windows OS 'emulation' layer to Linux. (and WINE Is Not an Emulator either, but that's not something i'm going into here - read up if you're interested https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software) ).

overview of steps i would do - if you have instructions that are easier to follow, use those instead:

* Enter 'desktop mode' on the deck (instructions here - read the whole page so you have an idea what you're doing. keep in mind the latter steps are for Steam, not what you're trying to do: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/how-to ... steam-deck )
* Install Lutris from desktop mode (description: https://lutris.net/)
* Install Wine-GE-Custom from desktop mode (readme: https://github.com/gloriouseggroll/wine-ge-custom )
* perform the configuration steps neccessary
* when finished, launch Lutris in desktop mode and run your non-Steam Windows and Dosbox games (and console/computer emulators...) from there

also: any native Linux games downloaded from GOG will work as expected, no Wine or Proton necessary.

and GOG Dosbox games are easy (since Dosbox has a native Linux build, which Lutris can provide)
malchior

Post by malchior »

FWIW I tried Lutris and partially switched quickly to Heroic. Instructions here. It supports Epic and GOG. Heroic takes care of a decent amount of the manual fiddling. Lutris is good for things with straightforward support ("major title").
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Heroic is the way to go.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

After a few months of fighting to keep the Deck charged, I'm thnking about getting a power bank.
Any suggestions?
This is the one I'm looking at:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-2 ... Id=6488533

Does that look sufficient?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

OLED Steam Deck (with bigger battery and improved thermals) announced:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/11/ ... ter-wi-fi/

i said was going to wait for one of these, but with the old 64GB version being marked down and discontinued, maybe i'll just go for that...
Chraolic

Post by Chraolic »

I may have to get one now. I've been holding off so far, but OLED, twice the storage and a better battery is a pretty nice upgrade.
stessier

Post by stessier »

If you want to see some more of the inside, as well as some game performance stats -

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

got a secondhand firstgeneration Deck from swappa.com - seller said it had about ten hours of use; looks basically new. (and they had taken the effort to replace the original 64GB storage drive with a 1TB one.) i don't, so far, understand the complaints about the screen at all... looks fine to me. it's a slick little device i would have killed for 15 years ago - a slide-out keyboard would have sealed the deal for me, but i intend to make full use of desktop mode with this all the same. i play a lot of games that need very precise directional pad movement and i'm sticking with the built-in d-pad, as i'm not finding the haptic pads to be precise enough - those also feel weird with games that require mouse control. i can understand the complaints about the battery life, but this is a first iteration and there's a lot going on with this system and i can see why it's a big ol battery drain. anyways, if i get enough use out of this one, i will certainly be getting the secondgen version in 2025.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

going to say this is the best piece of 'new' technology i've gotten since my first Kindle in 2011. Valve did a lot right with this device.