All things: China

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: All things: China

Post by Isgrimnur »

Kurth wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:09 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:01 pm Worst case they use it as a pretext to pull a Russia and invade Taiwan (after Pelosi leaves). More likely case is they continue buildups and exercises and keep rattling sabres.
Not saying you're saying this, but invading Ukraine is not the same thing as invading Taiwan.

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

The Chinese leadership are taking full advantage of the opportunity to push their agenda. Chinese state run media outlets and social media have been pumping up the outrage over the visit. People all over their country are being stirred up by a jingoism meant to support Xi's imperial and personal dictatorial ambitions.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

malchior wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:27 am The Chinese leadership are taking full advantage of the opportunity to push their agenda. Chinese state run media outlets and social media have been pumping up the outrage over the visit. People all over their country are being stirred up by a jingoism meant to support Xi's imperial and personal dictatorial ambitions.
I don’t think Xi wants actual war (at this time) due to their shaky economy but this sort of thing is a gift for him since the people will be busy voicing their outrage over Taiwan vs the shaky economy. Those citizens who will point this out will be dealt with…
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
malchior

Post by malchior »

China essentially signals they can blockade Taiwan if they want to as they massively but predictably overreact.

Hope this reckless trip was worth it. :roll:
China conducted “precision missile strikes” Thursday in waters off Taiwan’s coasts as part of military exercises that have raised tensions in the region to their highest level in decades following a visit by U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

China earlier announced that military exercises by its navy, air force and other departments were underway in six zones surrounding Taiwan, which Beijing claims as its own territory to be annexed by force if necessary.

Five of the missiles fired by China landed in Japan’s Exclusive Economic Zone off Hateruma, an island far south of Japan’s main islands, Japanese Defense Minister Nobuo Kishi said. He said Japan protested the missile landings to China as “serious threats to Japan’s national security and the safety of the Japanese people.”

The drills were prompted by a visit to Taiwan this week by Pelosi and are intended to advertise China’s threat to attack the self-governing island republic. Along with its moves to isolate Taiwan diplomatically, China has long threatened military retaliation over moves by the island to solidify its de facto independence with the support of key allies including the U.S.
malchior

Post by malchior »

The crisis over Taiwan is escalating. The Chinese have sanctioned Pelosi and her family directly.
The White House has summoned China’s ambassador to condemn its escalating actions against Taiwan, the latest step in an intensifying geopolitical crisis as Washington and Beijing exchange accusations following a trip by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to Taiwan that infuriated Chinese leaders.

At the White House, officials told Ambassador Qin Gang that China’s recent military actions--including firing missiles into the waters around Taiwan--were "irresponsible and at odds with our long-standing goal of maintaining peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait,” National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said in a statement provided to The Washington Post.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken, speaking to reporters in Cambodia, delivered an equally sharp message to China. “There is no justification for this extreme, disproportionate, and escalatory military response,” he said, adding, “These provocative actions are a significant escalation...They’ve taken dangerous acts to a new level.”

Like other U.S. officials, Blinken sought to balance a message that the U.S. does not seek confrontation with a signal that it will not back down to aggressive actions from China. “We will fly, sail, and operate wherever international law allows,” he said.

The fast-moving events have forced President Biden to manage potentially volatile confrontations between the United States and two other world powers. Even as tensions bubble between the United States and China over Pelosi’s trip, Biden is striving to keep Beijing from aiding Russia in its scorched-earth war against Ukraine.

On Friday, China said it is canceling or suspending dialogue with the United States on a range of issues, from climate change to military relations to anti-drug efforts. Beijing also announced unspecified sanctions on Pelosi and her immediate family in retaliation for what it called a “malicious and provocative” insistence on visiting Taiwan over Beijing’s strong opposition.

Since 2020, China has deployed sanctions against former U.S. officials with increasing frequency, often as retribution for criticism of human rights abuses, but Pelosi (D-Calif.) is one of the most senior sitting U.S. politicians to be personally censured by Beijing.

Virtually all the senior members of Biden’s national security team privately expressed deep reservations about the trip and its timing, a White House official said, speaking on condition of anonymity to describe internal deliberations. Top administration officials outlined for Pelosi’s offices the likely consequences of her visit, officials said, and Gen. Mark A. Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, personally briefed Pelosi.

But when it became clear that Pelosi--who is the country’s third highest-ranking official, behind Biden and Vice President Harris--was determined to make the trip, administration officials began publicly defending her right to do so, emphasizing that she is entirely independent of the White House, and warning China against overreacting.
malchior

Post by malchior »

More from NY Times

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I guess they don't want Russia to beat them to the punch - they really don't want to settle for having started World War 4.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Strange rumors and portents out of China today...

Planes have completely disappeared over #China and there are wild rumors of a coup, staged by Gen. Li Qiaoming, overthrowing #XiJinping as the State Council gathering nears, meant to hand Xi a 3rd term.
NOTHING is confirmed.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

Uh - it was the middle of the night. Air traffic is usually pretty light then. I just took a look at Beijing and a couple commercial flights just took off.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wouldn’t jump to any conclusions. As pointed out in other articles on this, China has a terrible record for flight cancellations.
Covfefe!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

malchior wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:17 pm Uh - it was the middle of the night. Air traffic is usually pretty light then. I just took a look at Beijing and a couple commercial flights just took off.
You may be right - but the picture shared shows plenty of traffic everywhere else, where I presume it was also the middle of the night.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Not really sure what's going on with Laurie Garrett. In the before times, she was a voice I trusted, but she's been knocked down a few pegs for me with some of the things she's said since March of 2020. Regarding the post above, she issued a retraction on Twitter a few hours later regarding that post above, noting that Newsweek is not a reliable source of information anymore.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The retraction:

This is false, it seems. LOOKS LIKE @Newsweek got this wrong. (Not for the first time.) The air traffic image, I am told, is fake

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
malchior

Post by malchior »

Newsweek isn't reliable and hasn't been for some time. Sure they said it was "rumors" but what responsible news organization takes dissident rumormongering (some think it was Falun Gong), does minimal research, and then publishes a story about a possible coup in a major nuclear power? It's completely reckless.
Unagi wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:09 am
malchior wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:17 pm Uh - it was the middle of the night. Air traffic is usually pretty light then. I just took a look at Beijing and a couple commercial flights just took off.
You may be right - but the picture shared shows plenty of traffic everywhere else, where I presume it was also the middle of the night.
FWIW this is exactly why I took a look with my own eyes on a reputable site (Flightrader24) and also why I mentioned I saw traffic leaving when there supposedly was none.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Seriously brave reporting.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Next up: Xi Jinping goes for a swim.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Maybe if Mexico, India, and Ukraine didn’t just abstain…
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Strange that muslim countries or those with large muslim population all said no or abstain. The same countries that always said yes when the target was Israel.

The opposite is true, too. The ones that said yes are countries that often said no when the target was Israel.

Maybe both side can make a deal and agree to support each other against both China and Israel's oppression of Uighur or Palestine.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Unagi wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:34 am Maybe if Mexico, India, and Ukraine didn’t just abstain…
I get Ukraine, in that they are fighting for their survival right now, and want any friends among the nations that they can get. Not that China is the best of friends for Ukraine right now, but they could be doing more to help Russia than they are right now, and Ukraine doesn't want to give them any reason to step that assistance up.

Armenia's abstention is the one that really sticks in my craw. I get it to some degree, in that China is powerful and the Uighurs are not, and they have to look after their people first and foremost. But man...
Black Lives Matter.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Yeah. You are right about both.

Much shame for Armenia.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Also, it’s sad that this is just a vote to debate the topic. Nothing else.

Obviously it’s easier to hush the debate than it is to ignore what’s presented in said debate.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

With all the attention given the war in Ukraine, I’m still surprised this has not gotten more attention here. The US has just implemented expert controls that will severely impact China’s semi-conductor industry. Every US exeucutive and engineer working in China has resigned, or will soon resign, paralyzing China’s chip industry:

stessier

Post by stessier »

Grifman wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:43 am With all the attention given the war in Ukraine, I’m still surprised this has not gotten more attention here. The US has just implemented expert controls that will severely impact China’s semi-conductor industry. Every US exeucutive and engineer working in China has resigned, or will soon resign, paralyzing China’s chip industry:

Export controls. ;)

I saw this yesterday and have been trying to find more about it. Seems like it would be much bigger news if true as described.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It certainly seems serious, but I haven't seen very much about it, and Schneider's take is quite sensationalistic. Can the U.S. strip citizenship of an individual for something like this?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:18 pm It certainly seems serious, but I haven't seen very much about it, and Schneider's take is quite sensationalistic. Can the U.S. strip citizenship of an individual for something like this?
It's not that they strip citizenship (that I saw), it's that the people become subject to arrest and prosecution if the US ever gets their hands on them.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
UsulofDoom

Post by UsulofDoom »

Alefroth wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:18 pm It certainly seems serious, but I haven't seen very much about it, and Schneider's take is quite sensationalistic. Can the U.S. strip citizenship of an individual for something like this?
I don't think you can strip US citizenship they could take the green card. If it's a law then you could be imprisoned and or fined. You could also be black listed for working with any company that is involved with the US gov.

Now I see why Pelosi sold Apple and brought nvidia.
Immigration law is rarely cut-and-dry, but in this case the answer is clear. A US citizen—whether he or she is born in the United States or becomes a naturalized citizen—cannot be deported. When a US citizen commits a crime, due process and punishment (if convicted) takes place within the American legal system. Even if a US citizen commits a crime abroad and is wanted for arrest internationally, the federal government would prefer to seek justice in the United States rather than deporting the criminal to stand trial in another country.
https://www.jacksonwhitelaw.com/immigra ... -deported/
Last edited by UsulofDoom on Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I make a grammar or spelling mistake, PM me. I will correct it. It’s better than you being an asshole!

No one knows the truth, only hypothesis, assumptions, conjectures, speculations, presumptions, guesses and theories.

We are not Gods, but nature. No more than one of many dominate species that will inhabit this planet for a short period of time, on its ever so long journey through the universe.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I haven't seen any mention yet in any mainstream news source. Crippling China's semiconductor industry should be very big news. Thus, I'm skeptical.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Financial Times
The new restrictions, announced on Friday last week, ban the export to China of US semiconductor equipment that cannot be provided by any foreign competitor. They also impose a licence requirement for exports of US tools or components to China-based fabrication plants, or fabs, that make advanced chips, and for exports of items used to develop Chinese homegrown chip production equipment.

They also require any US citizen or entity to seek permission from the Department of Commerce for providing support to Chinese fabs.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

stessier wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:08 pm
It's not that they strip citizenship (that I saw), it's that the people become subject to arrest and prosecution if the US ever gets their hands on them.
The article is paywalled, but their is an implication they could lose citizenship.

https://fortune.com/2022/10/13/chinese- ... onductors/
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

UsulofDoom wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:10 pm
I don't think you can strip US citizenship they could take the green card. If it's a law then you could be imprisoned and or fined. You could also be black listed for working with any company that is involved with the US gov.
Apparently naturalization can be revoked-

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/vol ... -chapter-2
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:47 pm
I haven't seen any mention yet in any mainstream news source. Crippling China's semiconductor industry should be very big news. Thus, I'm skeptical.
CNBC has talked about it all week but they've talked about it as a mystery. That the details aren't truly known and people (investors) aren't taking chances.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Biden gambles with global chip supply by halting US firms’ operations in China
The US has taken its next step in its boldest efforts yet to disrupt China's military by blocking access to memory chips and chip-making equipment that are crucial to modern defense systems like stealth aircraft, satellites, and cruise missiles. The Wall Street Journal reported yesterday that US chip equipment suppliers have withdrawn dozens of employees with key expertise and paused business activities at Yangtze Memory Technologies Co. (YMTC), "China's leading memory chip maker."

This is different from previous actions the US has taken by targeting specific technologies or individual firms, the Journal reported. Among key suppliers that "people familiar with the matter" told WSJ were halting operations are two major US firms, KLA Corp. and Lam Research Corp. Just weeks ago, the investment advising company The Motley Fool suggested that Lam Research "may be one of the most important companies in the world," noting that Intel is a key customer and that it serves a global market. Reuters reported that KLA losing its China market has restricted the company from its "largest geographic market, bringing in $2.66 billion in sales."

YMTC and Lam Research didn't respond to Ars' or WSJ's requests for comment. KLA Corp. chief communications officer Randi Polanich confirmed to Ars that "as of now, we cannot comment."
U.S. Suppliers Halt Operations at Top Chinese Memory Chip Maker
U.S. chip-equipment suppliers are pulling out staff based at China’s leading memory-chip maker and pausing business activities there, according to people familiar with the matter, as they grapple with the impact of Commerce Department semiconductor export restrictions.

State-owned Yangtze Memory Technologies Co. is facing a freeze in support from key suppliers including KLA Corp. and Lam Research Corp. , the people said. The suspensions follow last week’s sweeping curbs imposed by the U.S. on China’s chip sector, ostensibly to prevent American technology from advancing China’s military power, though the impact might reach further into the industry.

The U.S. suppliers have paused support of already installed equipment at YMTC in recent days and temporarily halted installation of new tools, the people said. The suppliers are also temporarily pulling out their staff based at YMTC, the people said.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Noah Smith has an excellent post on this:
For the past two or three years, China has been embarked on an all-out effort to build a domestic chip industry that can rival that of the U.S. and its East Asian allies (Taiwan, South Korea, and Japan). China’s effort has involved plenty of waste and mismanagement, but also some startling successes. China analysts have expressed confidence that the country would eventually be able to achieve its goal of self-sufficiency, probably more quickly than scoffing Americans expected.

This was probably why Biden took action now. If he had withheld the threat of semiconductor export controls as insurance against a possible future invasion of Taiwan, there’s a good chance that by the time China was ready to attack, it would have largely immunized itself against this economic weapon. In other words, as I wrote in my previous post, this was always a weapon with an expiration date. And the people in the administration, who are much better informed than I am about the details of China’s chipmaking progress, apparently decided that the expiration date was sooner than I had thought.
Biden’s export controls are a different animal entirely. The goal is not to benefit American companies, but to hurt Chinese ones, for reasons of national security. An administration official recently confirmed this explicitly. The cares less about U.S. companies’ profits than the U.S.’ technological lead. In fact, the stocks of chipmakers like Nvidia and AMD already fell back in September, when it became apparent they’d be restricted from selling chips to China. But national security overrides the need for modestly higher profits for a few companies.

This is a return to the Cold War economic strategy, where the U.S. and its allies actively tried to limit exports of technology to the Soviet bloc.
One other little tidbit that answered the question I had regarding how South Korea grew so fast into a tech powerhouse and eclipsed Japan (I remember when SK tech was essentially Goldstar garbage, but eventually Goldstar morphed into LG, and is an industry leader now):
In fact, hiring foreign engineers to build up domestic industry has a long and storied history. One of the most famous examples, detailed in the book How Asia Works, was how Korean companies hired retired Japanese engineers to move to Korea and teach companies like Hyundai and Samsung how to make cars and electronics. Japanese companies, which traditionally give out promotions and raises based only on seniority, used to force workers into retirement at 60 to avoid having them become too much of a financial and managerial burden; this left them with a number of good working years left and nothing much to do. Korea took advantage, and soon Korean companies were outcompeting their Japanese counterparts.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ex-UK pilots lured to help Chinese military, MoD says
Former British military pilots are being lured to China with large sums of money to pass on their expertise to the Chinese military, it is claimed.

Up to 30 former UK military pilots are thought to have gone to train members of China's People's Liberation Army.

The UK is issuing an intelligence alert to warn former military pilots against working for the Chinese military.

Attempts to headhunt pilots are ongoing and had been ramping up recently, western officials say.

A spokesperson from the Ministry of Defence (MoD) said the training ​and the recruiting of pilots does not breach any current UK law but officials in the UK and other countries are trying to deter the activity.

"It is a lucrative package that is being offered to people," said one western official. "Money is a strong motivator." Some of the packages are thought to be as much as £237,911 ($270,000).

The retired British pilots are being used to help understand the way in which Western planes and pilots operate, information which could be vital in the event of any conflict, such as over Taiwan.

"They are a very attractive body of people to then pass on that knowledge," a Western official said. "It's taking Western pilots of great experience to help develop Chinese military air force tactics and capabilities."

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

The war in Ukraine is bad but this is what scares me:

Everything that I have read is that Xi wants part of his legacy to be the return of Taiwan to Chinese Communist control. This would lead to a catastrophic war that I don’t think anyone has a real idea of the implications. Win or lose, I don’t think either side will really be better off. The only benefit would be Xi’s legacy if China wins.

I am really scared of this.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If China tries, their economy goes poof.

Enlarge Image