Social Media Discussion

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LordMortis

Re: Social Media Discussion

Post by LordMortis »

I can't get away. I woke up to this story on Free Speech absolutism

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/02/tesla-p ... -push.html
Invoices and other documents show Tesla paid MWW PR to monitor a Tesla employee Facebook group, and to conduct research specifically on organizers on social media in 2017 and 2018.
The records show that Tesla paid MWW PR to monitor a Tesla employee Facebook group, monitor Facebook more broadly for commentary on organizing efforts, and to conduct research specifically on organizers, going on to develop labor communication plans, media lists, and pitches based on their reconnaissance.
This of course is concurrent with the announcement of the need to cut 10% of its workforce.

:think:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I am shocked that it may be coming to this. Who could have foreseen it?

Elon Musk threatens to walk away from Twitter deal
Elon Musk has threatened to walk away from his $44bn takeover of Twitter, accusing the social media company of "thwarting" his requests to learn more about its user base.

In a letter filed with regulators, Mr Musk said he was entitled to do his own measurement of spam accounts.

The letter formalises a dispute that has simmered for weeks after Mr Musk declared the deal "on hold" pending further information.

Twitter has defended its estimates.

But Mr Musk has said he believes spam and fake accounts represent a far greater share than the less than 5% of daily users that Twitter reports publicly.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He likes to "game" the system, doesn't he.
He won. Period.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Given that he waived due diligence, good luck not paying the break up fee.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:22 pm Given that he waived due diligence, good luck not paying the break up fee.
I think he'd willingly pay the breakup fee. The problem for him is that the contract doesn't allow breakup for the reasons he's trying to breakup. The Twitter board is obligated to shareholders to enforce the agreement.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id love it if he got nailed for a billion or so.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:59 pm Id love it if he got nailed for a billion or so.
Given today's TWTR price, he's currently on the hook for about $14B. He'd love to get out for a mere $1B.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'd not been listening to the news in the morning but I couldn't fall asleep at 05:00 and was too tired to get up. Naturally I woke to this.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/06/texas-a ... robe-.html
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said on Monday that his office is opening an investigation into Twitter over the number of bot accounts on its platform.
His probe of Twitter was initiated on the same day that Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk, via his attorneys, threatened to back out of his agreement to buy Twitter for about $44 billion due to what he says are concerns around fake account, spam and bots.
Now it's not even two sides of the same coin. It's the same face and it's the feature, every, single, time, I turn on the TV.

I actually want to move this to R&P and let loose but I don't want another Musk focused thread. :oops:
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Is my take away that Texas AG is in Musk’s pocket the one that I’m supposed to take from this, or am I being high drama.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:39 am Is my take away that Texas AG is in Musk’s pocket the one that I’m supposed to take from this, or am I being high drama.
I suspect it's more that Paxton sees an opportunity to raise his profile further and to curry favor with the MAGAs and Musk.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:39 am Is my take away that Texas AG is in Musk’s pocket the one that I’m supposed to take from this, or am I being high drama.
I don't think the AG is in Musk's pocket. I think the AG is playing the GOP power broker game for his own gain and zeal while courting Musk concurrently, much like he does for the governor and did for the last the president. He's shown his stripes time and again. There is no reason to believe this is any different. He doesn't need to be a stooge to be corrupt PoS, riding coat tails and looking out for number one. And all of that is not inconsistent with sincere belief he is righteously elect (in the Calvinistic sense).
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Heh. Gavin Newsom joins TruthSocial...

I just joined Trump’s Truth Social.

Going to be on there calling out Republican lies. This could get…interesting.

My first post -- breaking down America’s red state murder problem.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ban coming in 3..2..1...

I did recommend in R&P that those so inclined should flood Truth Social with real truth (and bots).
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I surmise "pilgrim in an unholy land" is a rapid burnout hobby.

Challenging untruth is a noble and necessary cause, but it's probably more productive to identify and target the root. If the sink is overflowing, check the valve's closed before you get to mopping.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:54 pm Ban coming in 3..2..1...

I did recommend in R&P that those so inclined should flood Truth Social with real truth (and bots).
TBH (and I went to HS with Gavin Newsom), he does sometimes seem like a robot ;)
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Big shock.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im glad he is not helming Twitter.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Bret Taylor, the chairman of Twitter’s board, tweeted the company “is committed to closing” the deal and plans to “pursue legal action to enforce the merger agreement.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholasre ... al-action/

:pop:
malchior

Post by malchior »

I mean of course the board took this position. They have a duty to the shareholders to do so. The offer is a significant premium now.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I remember seeing a few weeks back (probably here on this forum) that if Twitter would take him to court the most likely outcome was that they would negotiate a lower price. Elon saves a few bucks and Twitter saves on lawyer fees.

Wouldn’t this move just bring us closer to that scenario, or has something changed making that less likely?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

msteelers wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:35 am I remember seeing a few weeks back (probably here on this forum) that if Twitter would take him to court the most likely outcome was that they would negotiate a lower price. Elon saves a few bucks and Twitter saves on lawyer fees.

Wouldn’t this move just bring us closer to that scenario, or has something changed making that less likely?
That seems the most likely course of action but with Musk's ego who knows. The TWTR board has the upper hand.

His original price was sky "high", if TWTR can get mid 40s they'd still be winning.

MYT
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Here is a deep dive into the legal issues facing Musk if he pulls out of the deal.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'm sure he doesn't care one bit in causing trouble. It's a drop in the bucket compared to his income, and we already know he's a bit of a rabble-rouser. Part of me wonders if he was even really serious about it in the first place. So pulling out and causing chaos all seems to be part of his brand.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LOL, for a brief second I almost believed it.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I’m often too out of touch to know if I’m missing something (else).

Is this solely a ‘he is so dumb that he…’ joke , or is there some nuanced analogy to something else Elon has done that this is teasing?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I think it's simply a jab over his entire behavior towards Twitter, ie thinking he can simply walk away from the deal with no consequences.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Unagi wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:23 pm I’m often too out of touch to know if I’m missing something (else).

Is this solely a ‘he is so dumb that he…’ joke , or is there some nuanced analogy to something else Elon has done that this is teasing?
I don't think even the biggest Elon hater would call him dumb. Idiot? Maybe. Out of touch? Certainly. Dumb? Nope.

I'm amused, but don't really understand if there is some bigger reason I should be or maybe it was just a jab about how easily he gets away with stuff.

Edit: Also, the idea of Elon deleting twitter is hilarious to me. Without twitter how would he manipulate the stock market every damn day?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:11 pm I'm sure he doesn't care one bit in causing trouble. It's a drop in the bucket compared to his income, and we already know he's a bit of a rabble-rouser. Part of me wonders if he was even really serious about it in the first place. So pulling out and causing chaos all seems to be part of his brand.
The $54.20 share price should have been your first tip that he wasn't terribly serious about it.
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:14 pm
Rumpy wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:11 pm I'm sure he doesn't care one bit in causing trouble. It's a drop in the bucket compared to his income, and we already know he's a bit of a rabble-rouser. Part of me wonders if he was even really serious about it in the first place. So pulling out and causing chaos all seems to be part of his brand.
The $54.20 share price should have been your first tip that he wasn't terribly serious about it.
The agreement the signed was the first tip he was serious. The share price was just his ego. He's trying to make 420 his thing.

MYT
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've also thought that maybe he was trolling the investors. For all we know, he probably never had any real intent to follow through, and wanted to see how easy it was to seek an opportunity, even if it meant getting close and walking away.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Is it too much to hope they get the whole 44 billion from him and then have the platform crash and burn? He has really come to bring out my inner Drazzil in the last four years or more.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Twitter and Musk had a preliminary hearing in Delaware today to set a trial date. Twitter wanted 4 days in September; Musk wanted a 10 day trial in February.

According to a couple Twitter threads I've read, Musk's arguments were weak as a whole, and the chancellor decided on a 5-day trial starting October 24.

Threads:

(this one is a bit more colorful to say the least).
Hodor.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Does this go here?

After Google co-founder Sergey Brin divorced his wife in January upon learning of her alleged affair with Elon Musk, Musk reportedly dropped to his knees and begged his longtime friend for forgiveness.
Never trust a con man.

MYT
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

In Twitter's latest court filing in their suit against Musk to get him to buy the company, they set forth that the (very much flawed) tool Musk was using to identify bot accounts on Twitter ID's Musk's own account as being that of a bot.

Slides of the suit can be found at Gizmodo.
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Twitter is going to look very foolish when Musk, while on the witness stand, removes his faceplate to reveal that he actually is a bot!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

“Musk invents representations Twitter never made and then tries to wield, selectively, the extensive confidential data Twitter provided him to conjure a breach of those purported representations. Yet Musk simultaneously and incoherently asserts that Twitter breached the merger agreement by stonewalling his information requests,”
Man, reminds of a president the US once had...
There are plenty of funny pieces to go around when you’re dealing with the world’s wealthiest shitposter.
:lol:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Such a dumbass

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

At this point, I'd almost expect an Onion article to say he's challenging the CEO to tic-tac-toe.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti